Will the WTA be praying Li wins the final? - TennisForum.com

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2013, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,035
                     
Question Will the WTA be praying Li wins the final?

After seeming to make progress with the media and the crowds during the US Open, Azarenka has destroyed all that work in the four weeks she's been in Australia. Firstly pulling out half a hour before her match versus Serena in Brisbane with an extremely lame excuse, secondly, her rather tactless comment about wishing she had a back injury after her match versus Hampton, not to mention her shrieking and general poor on-court behaviour and lastly, after her performance today and gamemanship that wasn't becoming of a champion, she's pretty much made herself the #1 villain.

OTOH, Li is very popular with the media and crowds through her personality, is the perfect player to enhance the WTA's marketing drive in Asia, and the fact she's playing in the Asia-Pacific slam, which means the final will be played primetime in China and have an global audience going into the hundreds of millions, could signal huge money being poured into the WTA.

Therefore, with the media, crowds and marketing strategists guaranteed to be hoping for a Li win, will the WTA want her to beat Azarenka, who seems to be nothing more than a huge liability to them?
DevilishAttitude is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2013, 07:49 PM
Senior Member
 
RenaSlam.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 25,033
                     
Re: Will the WTA be praying Li wins the final?

Let's just say there won't be many people rooting for Vika in the crowd during the final, other than that loser Redfoo.
RenaSlam. is offline  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2013, 07:50 PM
Senior Member
 
sammy01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: England
Posts: 25,413
                     
Re: Will the WTA be praying Li wins the final?

I'm pretty sure the WTA would love Li to win and Serena or Maria to take the #1 ranking ASAP. As right now Vika is the exact opposite of their 'strong is beautiful' stuff as with Vika strong is very much ugly right now (not meaning looks).

Anna Chakvetadze Rules

Kim Clijsters - Supporting the comeback!

I have no other faves, I just hate
sammy01 is offline  
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2013, 07:57 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,663
                     
Re: Will the WTA be praying Li wins the final?

they'd be able to tell the men to get stuffed as well, as the tv audience for the womens final will probably be bigger than for the men! equal pay?
doujyr is offline  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2013, 07:58 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 28,390
                     
Re: Will the WTA be praying Li wins the final?

Stacey is on her knees as we speak.

I'm not sure what's her PR strategy is but it's a disaster so far.
That Benito guy is good tho. The kool-aid on Nadal is unbelievable.

Having Li in a Slam final is excellent for the WTA. No matter what happens, they can always show Chinese TV ratings to justify the prize money.
Wiggly is offline  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2013, 08:01 PM
Heaux
 
Break My Rapture's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 28,418
                     
Re: Will the WTA be praying Li wins the final?

No offence to Li, but tennis is not exploding in Asia as a lot of you are preaching will happen. It didn't happen after her 2011 season, it probably won't happen if she wins the title here either.
Break My Rapture is offline  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2013, 08:07 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,663
                     
Re: Will the WTA be praying Li wins the final?

but it's such a ***ing huge market it doesn't really need to explode to make a huge difference. you clearly have no idea of the scale of things involved.
doujyr is offline  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2013, 08:13 PM
Senior Member
 
Talula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 3,502
                     
Re: Will the WTA be praying Li wins the final?

I would imagine they wanted Maria to win.

Monica Seles Superstar. Her fans never forget.


Players I root for now: Heather, Laura, Lucie, Marion, Serena, Simona, Svetlana, Venus, Vika. And Caroline.
Doubles and Mixed Doubles are fun and underrated.
Talula is offline  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2013, 08:15 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 17,722
                     
Re: Will the WTA be praying Li wins the final?

Good point.
Wert. is offline  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2013, 08:20 PM
Senior Member
 
antonella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Del Boca Vista Estates
Posts: 2,862
                     
Re: Will the WTA be praying Li wins the final?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilishAttitude View Post
After seeming to make progress with the media and the crowds during the US Open, Azarenka has destroyed all that work in the four weeks she's been in Australia. Firstly pulling out half a hour before her match versus Serena in Brisbane with an extremely lame excuse, secondly, her rather tactless comment about wishing she had a back injury after her match versus Hampton, not to mention her shrieking and general poor on-court behaviour and lastly, after her performance today and gamemanship that wasn't becoming of a champion, she's pretty much made herself the #1 villain....

"I can resist anything except temptation" - Oscar Wilde
antonella is offline  
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2013, 08:29 PM
Senior Member
 
shap_half's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 14,608
                     
Re: Will the WTA be praying Li wins the final?

Tennis is a first-world problem.
shap_half is offline  
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2013, 08:33 PM
Senior Member
 
LUVMIRZA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 11,474
                     
Re: Will the WTA be praying Li wins the final?

Lame Maria fans

2012 & 2013 AO Champion - Winnerenka

2012 & 2013 USO Finalist - Chokerenka
LUVMIRZA is offline  
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2013, 08:44 PM
Senior Member
 
shap_half's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 14,608
                     
Re: Will the WTA be praying Li wins the final?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggly View Post
Stacey is on her knees as we speak.

I'm not sure what's her PR strategy is but it's a disaster so far.
That Benito guy is good tho. The kool-aid on Nadal is unbelievable.

Having Li in a Slam final is excellent for the WTA. No matter what happens, they can always show Chinese TV ratings to justify the prize money.
What Nadal kool-aid? Is it the roids? I need information!

I know that someone commented about how Li Na's 2011 didn't do much for tennis in China. But I think that's just a bunch of baloney. Obviously, it's not as readily obvious what her success must signal for the development of tennis in a booming market like China, but the fact of the matter is she is still a major figure in sport, specifically because she's from China. Isn't she only second to Maria as the top-earning female athlete? And this is with far less success and without a Western celebrity status. After she won Roland Garros, she took on like a million endorsements in China including Mercedes-Benz. She is all over everything there. When Li Na does well, the WTA is able to put itself in a much better position to broach the Chinese market. This could mean everything from developing it to the point where a bunch of Chinese people traveling all over the world to watch tennis matches, which is not only good for the WTA but also for international tourism, etc. People may not realize this but as far as a shifting global market is concerned, Li Na is probably the most important tennis player in the WTA. If she were more glamorous like Maria or Serena, I can only imagine what else she'd be doing.
shap_half is offline  
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2013, 08:55 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 4,352
                     
Re: Will the WTA be praying Li wins the final?

no but pam,cliff, darren, mary joe and the mcenroe brothers will be.

commentaryt in the maria/na match was just pathetic. they were so obviously hoping for maria to win without saying it it was rediculous. Now that vika took out their darling ..i dont know if it will even be watchable
misty1 is offline  
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2013, 09:12 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 28,390
                     
Re: Will the WTA be praying Li wins the final?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shap_half View Post
What Nadal kool-aid? Is it the roids? I need information!

I know that someone commented about how Li Na's 2011 didn't do much for tennis in China. But I think that's just a bunch of baloney. Obviously, it's not as readily obvious what her success must signal for the development of tennis in a booming market like China, but the fact of the matter is she is still a major figure in sport, specifically because she's from China. Isn't she only second to Maria as the top-earning female athlete? And this is with far less success and without a Western celebrity status. After she won Roland Garros, she took on like a million endorsements in China including Mercedes-Benz. She is all over everything there. When Li Na does well, the WTA is able to put itself in a much better position to broach the Chinese market. This could mean everything from developing it to the point where a bunch of Chinese people traveling all over the world to watch tennis matches, which is not only good for the WTA but also for international tourism, etc. People may not realize this but as far as a shifting global market is concerned, Li Na is probably the most important tennis player in the WTA. If she were more glamorous like Maria or Serena, I can only imagine what else she'd be doing.
Nadal use gamesmanship all the time but redeems himself with a fake smile and broken English.
Benito should use the same trick for Azarenka.

Rafael took a toilet break right before Federer served for the match in IW.
That feet injury at Wimbledon was shady at best but the media ate it up.

Li is in an incredible asset for the WTA just as Vika is a disaster.
Wiggly is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome