Is it safe to say that sharapova has reach AO 2008 form? - Page 5 - TennisForum.com
View Poll Results: ?????
current form exceeds 2008 australian open 7 16.67%
current form matches with 2008 australian open 8 19.05%
current form is below 2008 australian open 27 64.29%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 71 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 2013, 01:29 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 5,664
                     
Re: Is it safe to say that sharapova has reach AO 2008 form?

capriati 2001 was impressive too.
TheDream is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 71 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 2013, 01:29 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 15,796
                     
Re: Is it safe to say that sharapova has reach AO 2008 form?

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Zone View Post
I disagree. Ivanovic, Dementieva, Jankovic do not compare to Hingis, Davenport and Seles. And Henin had given up in 2008, so she was not the 2007 Henin but we can't bring up unrelated players even though it was solicited. If you actually look at Tennis Tipping from 2008, I knew Sharapova would maul Henin - I was the only who predicted it. Henin was done.

1999 USO given the caliber of players, etc is better than 2008 all things considered. Maria's form was better but the players were not.
Firstly, again, you can take Seles out of that, in 1999 she was in no way better than Dementieva, Ivanovic or Jankovic.

It comes down to, again, the fact that both Maria and Serena beat 3 players who finished that year in the top 5. So it comes down to who the 4th and 5th best wins her. I would certainly say Davenport (even well-past-her-peak 2008 Davenport) and Henin on a 32-match-winning-streak are more impressive than Martinez and 16-year-old Clijsters. No?
dsanders06 is offline  
post #63 of 71 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 2013, 01:32 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 15,796
                     
Re: Is it safe to say that sharapova has reach AO 2008 form?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olórin View Post
You truly are one horrendous joke when it comes to the Williams Sisters.
Please elaborate, I'm excited to see how you're gonna try to spin this one. I still remember the hilarity you provided when you tried to claim Serena's draw at the US Open last year was tougher than Maria's RG draw, simply because Errani was technically a top 10 player when Serena beat her but wasn't when Maria beat her
dsanders06 is offline  
post #64 of 71 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 2013, 01:33 AM
Senior Member
 
Olórin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 13,748
                     
Re: Is it safe to say that sharapova has reach AO 2008 form?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobruiz View Post
If I didn't already know you were a troll, I'd say you don't know anything about tennis.

Of course that's probably true, too.

"Yes, it could be argued that she’s playing even better than her run in 2008, which was two months before she first injured her right shoulder that eventually led to surgery."
http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/...668150191.html

It's not the most ridiculous thing ever written.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alla Luce View Post
(1)A lot is being made of the record Serena has vs Sharapova. It is being used as THE reason she will win again lol. Good thing we have players like Tomas Berdych (who had an even worse record vs Nadal) to remind us of the fallacy of this nonsense logic.
(2)You stans may as well sleep well tonight because tomorrow the a replay of Lucie's winning moment over and over again will haunt your dreams for weeks to come
(3)The stars have aligned perfectly for the upset of the 21st century. All the best Garbine
(4) There is no path to victory for Williams.Keys wins in straight easy sets.
Olórin is offline  
post #65 of 71 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 2013, 01:33 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 5,664
                     
Re: Is it safe to say that sharapova has reach AO 2008 form?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsanders06 View Post
Firstly, again, you can take Seles out of that, in 1999 she was in no way better than Dementieva, Ivanovic or Jankovic.

It comes down to, again, the fact that both Maria and Serena beat 3 players who finished that year in the top 5. So it comes down to who the 4th and 5th best wins her. I would certainly say Davenport (even well-past-her-peak 2008 Davenport) and Henin on a 32-match-winning-streak are more impressive than Martinez and 16-year-old Clijsters. No?
serena beat 4 straight slam champions, including 2 who were holding slams at the time. no comparison.
TheDream is offline  
post #66 of 71 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 2013, 01:34 AM
MA5HA
 
Craig.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: La Belle Province
Posts: 33,793
                     
Re: Is it safe to say that sharapova has reach AO 2008 form?

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Zone View Post
It was on topic.
No, I didn't mean your post.

I just meant "Here we go, another Serena vs. Maria thread."
Craig. is offline  
post #67 of 71 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 2013, 01:35 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 15,796
                     
Re: Is it safe to say that sharapova has reach AO 2008 form?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDream View Post
serena beat 4 straight slam champions, including 2 who were holding slams at the time. no comparison.
And Maria beat a player who was holding 2 slams at the time, yet you guys are trying to dismiss that because Henin was "nearly retired"
dsanders06 is offline  
post #68 of 71 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 2013, 01:41 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 5,664
                     
Re: Is it safe to say that sharapova has reach AO 2008 form?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsanders06 View Post
And Maria beat a player who was holding 2 slams at the time, yet you guys are trying to dismiss that because Henin was "nearly retired"
not me. i always thought that was an impressive win over henin. the henin fans propagation that maria won by that scoreline because henin was burnt out. still, just saying serena's run more impressive.
TheDream is offline  
post #69 of 71 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 2013, 01:45 AM
it's just me against the music.
 
In The Zone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 26,601
                     
Re: Is it safe to say that sharapova has reach AO 2008 form?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsanders06 View Post
Firstly, again, you can take Seles out of that, in 1999 she was in no way better than Dementieva, Ivanovic or Jankovic.

It comes down to, again, the fact that both Maria and Serena beat 3 players who finished that year in the top 5. So it comes down to who the 4th and 5th best wins her. I would certainly say Davenport (even well-past-her-peak 2008 Davenport) and Henin on a 32-match-winning-streak are more impressive than Martinez and 16-year-old Clijsters. No?
Again, you can't compare the late 90's to the late 2000's. No way are Davenport, Hingis, and Seles comparable to Ivanovic and Jankovic. And did you watch Henin in early 2008? She was done in Sydney but Kuznetsova couldn't finish her off. You could tell her groundstrokes were fading. I have my conspiracy theory as to why she retired ... cough ... but her lack of interest, let's go with that, showed. Beating a 32-match win streak Henin in 2008 was not the same as the Henin in 2007. You keep using paper facts, such as "Top 5" and "32 match winning streak." Ivanovic and Jankovic comparable to Hingis and Davenport? Dementieva was irrelevant for ages at that point. 16 year old Clijsters beats a 32 year old Davenport (the same Davenport who dropped a set to Errani the round before, and no, not the 2012 Errani, the 2008 Errani) and Dementieva.

Late 90s beats late 2000's any day.

Maria's form would kill these players but the question is tougher draw. Tougher draw was 1999 USO. You could even throw in there 2000 Wimbledon for Venus. Hingis, who she had not beaten at a slam yet, Serena, then defending champion Davenport. Maria's 08 draw was not THAT fantastic. I mean with your logic, we could throw Serena's Olympic run by using PAPER stats. 4 former No. 1's and a former No 2. Is that really what happened? No.
In The Zone is offline  
post #70 of 71 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 2013, 01:46 AM
it's just me against the music.
 
In The Zone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 26,601
                     
Re: Is it safe to say that sharapova has reach AO 2008 form?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDream View Post
not me. i always thought that was an impressive win over henin. the henin fans propagation that maria won by that scoreline because henin was burnt out. still, just saying serena's run more impressive.
Agreed but Sharapova's demolition of Henin in the 06 USO final was more impressive.
In The Zone is offline  
post #71 of 71 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2013, 04:26 AM
♥ All-American Reject
 
CanIGetAWhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Mount Olympus
Posts: 19,103
                     
Re: Is it safe to say that sharapova has reach AO 2008 form?



CanIGetAWhat is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome