Does Chris Evert bother anyone else as a match commentator? - Page 4 - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 88 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2013, 06:50 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 5,679
                     
Re: Does Chris Evert bother anyone else as a match commentator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcana View Post
Pick one. Just not your own. Both of them know light-years more than you. The fact that they disagree doesn't make YOU anymore knowledgeable.
i don't deny they are more knowledge than me, but it's clear evert hasn't studied these players. have you watched her commentary? saying maria's forehand is her best shot? i cringed when she said that.
TheDream is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #47 of 88 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2013, 06:52 AM
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter
 
Sam L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Shangri-La
Posts: 35,547
                     
Re: Does Chris Evert bother anyone else as a match commentator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDream View Post
i don't deny they are more knowledge than me, but it's clear evert hasn't studied these players. have you watched her commentary? saying maria's forehand is her best shot? i cringed when she said that.
Apparently according to darrin and Volcana, we're supposed to accept these as gospels because she won 18 slams.

Light of the Seven: Himalayas, Gobi, Baikal, Taiga, Steppe, Alps, Aurora
Sam L is offline  
post #48 of 88 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2013, 06:57 AM
MA5HA
 
Craig.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: La Belle Province
Posts: 33,791
                     
Re: Does Chris Evert bother anyone else as a match commentator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDream View Post
i don't deny they are more knowledge than me, but it's clear evert hasn't studied these players. have you watched her commentary? saying maria's forehand is her best shot? i cringed when she said that.
Not to mention kinda pathetic considering the number of Maria matches she's commentated on in the past couple years.
Craig. is offline  
post #49 of 88 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2013, 07:02 AM
PharMaria Co. CFO
 
tejmeglekvár's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 13,805
                     
Re: Does Chris Evert bother anyone else as a match commentator?

Nerdss are offended that one of the greatest every played doesnt know how many times a perennial journeywoman played in the parking lots. Shocking.

The Queen of Screams
tejmeglekvár is offline  
post #50 of 88 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2013, 07:08 AM
Senior Member
 
ovafanboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 217
                     
Re: Does Chris Evert bother anyone else as a match commentator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurley View Post
omg that sounds scary, dybbuk. He sounds scary.
Who you callin' scary?

Also, Chrissie owns.

ovafanboy is offline  
post #51 of 88 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2013, 07:12 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 18,395
                     
Re: Does Chris Evert bother anyone else as a match commentator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcana View Post
Pick one. Just not your own. Both of them know light-years more than you. The fact that they disagree doesn't make YOU anymore knowledgeable.
Your posts in this thread are truly the most purposely blind fanboy/fangirl ravings on this board. This board is WTAWorld. That's saying a lot. In no world is Kuznetsova a serve and volleyer. In fact half the time she's too passive and tries to rally more than she should. Mary Joe (who was a top 5 player, so she has to be right) was looking at Chrissie like she was crazy when she said that. Closing your eyes and pretending Evert knows everything is no better than someone pretending their favorite player is amazing and can never lose any match unless they are injured or tanking.
dybbuk is offline  
post #52 of 88 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2013, 07:13 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 360
                     
Re: Does Chris Evert bother anyone else as a match commentator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcana View Post
Pick one. Just not your own. Both of them know light-years more than you. The fact that they disagree doesn't make YOU anymore knowledgeable.
You are disgusting. LOL trying to go for the 'pro must be right' and it backfired. Does anybody wants to insult this person? I pick my own opinion because it is backed by another professional who has 18 Grand Slams.
freefallball is offline  
post #53 of 88 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2013, 07:19 AM
Enemy of Art
 
Hurley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 13,986
                     
Re: Does Chris Evert bother anyone else as a match commentator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovafanboy View Post
Who you callin' scary?

I am on der Tvitter, accumulating haters. https://twitter.com/Hurleytennis
Hurley is offline  
post #54 of 88 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2013, 07:55 AM
 
TIEFSEE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: 花間道
Posts: 99,865
                     
Re: Does Chris Evert bother anyone else as a match commentator?

Chrissie is hawt.


今君が流した いとしいその涙が
乾くのなら僕は風にでもなろう
TIEFSEE is offline  
post #55 of 88 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2013, 08:47 AM
country flag RVD
Senior Member
 
RVD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 33,174
                     
Re: Does Chris Evert bother anyone else as a match commentator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcana View Post
If you won EIGHTEEN slam singles titles, maybe, just maybe, from your persepctive, they DO have the same type of game.

It's going to come as a shock to a lot of people here, but Chris Evert knows WAY more about tennis than almost anyone on the this forum. He father was a coach, she grew up in the game, and she was one of the foremost practitioners of it.

If she says they have the same type of game, and you DON'T see that, the objective response is that YOU need to look harder. Unless you're Margaret Court, Steffi Graf, Billie Jean King, Martina Navratilova or Serena, there is NO doubt Chris Evert opinion is more educated than yours. NO doubt.

You don't have to like her, but if you don;t see what she sees, chances are you're the one that's blind, not her.

NOTE: BJK and Arthur Ashe were my tennis heroes. I hated when Evert supplanted BJK. But Chris Evert had more influence on the on-court-game of women's tennis than any other player in history. She MADE women's tennis a baseline game. (Not a virtue, but a reality.) She's an Authority. Haters gonna hate, but they gotta know that's all they got.
If what you say here is true, then why is she so ignorant about today's players?
Her countless mistakes in the booth are exceedingly embarrassing.
If she wants to call herself an expert of the game, the first thing to do is to know the facts about as many players as possible, or not pretend that she knows.
Study up, watch them play, do some research. If she's getting paid for her expert analysis, then she needs to earn that pay with stated facts. Who cares how many damn slam titles she won if she screwing up in the booth.
Also, and sorry, but knowing how to play the game as it was in the past does not automatically make her an expert of the game as it is played in the present.
'Osmosis' only works for plant Biology.
The facts (weaknesses, and strengths, of the players that she is commenting on)... won't simply magically materialize in her head while she's in the booth.

Hell, what you just posted makes her ignorance all the more embarrassing, tbh.

Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery. - Malcolm X
A man who stands for nothing will fall for anything. - Malcolm X
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Confucius
The greatest scholars are not usually the wisest people. - Geoffrey Chaucer

Last edited by RVD; Jan 20th, 2013 at 08:56 AM.
RVD is offline  
post #56 of 88 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2013, 08:53 AM
country flag RVD
Senior Member
 
RVD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 33,174
                     
Re: Does Chris Evert bother anyone else as a match commentator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam L View Post
Apparently according to darrin and Volcana, we're supposed to accept these as gospels because she won 18 slams.
I know. I'm sitting here going... .........

Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery. - Malcolm X
A man who stands for nothing will fall for anything. - Malcolm X
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Confucius
The greatest scholars are not usually the wisest people. - Geoffrey Chaucer
RVD is offline  
post #57 of 88 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2013, 09:45 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 18,115
                     
Re: Does Chris Evert bother anyone else as a match commentator?

Actually I can't totally disagree about Maria's forehand being her best shot.
treufreund is offline  
post #58 of 88 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2013, 10:46 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 958
                     
Re: Does Chris Evert bother anyone else as a match commentator?

Oh well so what Im a Chris fan and would LOVE to hear her commentary especially over the English Commentator Sam Smith who we get hear. In her interview of Radwanska tonite she said good luck in the semi finals (she had progressed to the Quarter finals). Courier and Todd Woodbridge ramble on and on with dry boring game analysis with no emotion or feeling of the match.

Chris was one of the greatest tacticians the game has ever seen and mind players. So she is not 100% up on all the current players, lets face it she is their because she is a familiar and loved face from the games past and people love that familiarity. She probably does it a lot for the money and I don't blame her her generation got pittance compared to today's crop and for what she achieved she deserves more. Keep going Chrissy you have my vote
renstar is offline  
post #59 of 88 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2013, 01:59 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Sydney/Beograd
Posts: 1,173
                     
Re: Does Chris Evert bother anyone else as a match commentator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcana View Post
If you won EIGHTEEN slam singles titles, maybe, just maybe, from your persepctive, they DO have the same type of game.

It's going to come as a shock to a lot of people here, but Chris Evert knows WAY more about tennis than almost anyone on the this forum. He father was a coach, she grew up in the game, and she was one of the foremost practitioners of it.

If she says they have the same type of game, and you DON'T see that, the objective response is that YOU need to look harder. Unless you're Margaret Court, Steffi Graf, Billie Jean King, Martina Navratilova or Serena, there is NO doubt Chris Evert opinion is more educated than yours. NO doubt.

You don't have to like her, but if you don;t see what she sees, chances are you're the one that's blind, not her.

NOTE: BJK and Arthur Ashe were my tennis heroes. I hated when Evert supplanted BJK. But Chris Evert had more influence on the on-court-game of women's tennis than any other player in history. She MADE women's tennis a baseline game. (Not a virtue, but a reality.) She's an Authority. Haters gonna hate, but they gotta know that's all they got.
But they just don't. Like seriously. Just no.
dany.p is offline  
post #60 of 88 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2013, 02:04 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Sydney/Beograd
Posts: 1,173
                     
Re: Does Chris Evert bother anyone else as a match commentator?

The issue appears to be that Evert does not keep up with the contemporary game. Tennis is played very differently now compared to when she was winning. Maybe she is knowledgeable about players from her era, but it is very clear that this knowledge does not translate to the modern game.

But i actually really enjoy some of the comments. She fails so much that it's funny. I hope she keeps commentating.

Last edited by dany.p; Jan 20th, 2013 at 02:10 PM.
dany.p is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome