My top ten from week one of the open... enjoy - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 2013, 06:40 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
kittyking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 23,499
                     
My top ten from week one of the open... enjoy

As has became the normal at these sort of events, here are my official top 10 players from week one of the open... enjoy

10. Laura Robson

In my opinion the best British player, and a big hope for the future. Good fighting qualities, although plays the occasional 'interesting' (aka what-were-you-thinking!) shot. And there is something unusual about her left foot, has anyone else noticed it? She's currently down 5-6 against Sloane Stephens, if she wins this match I may have put her higher up the list.


9. Flipper Flipkens

Adonkable, and you can't help but love this girl. A fantastic junior back in the day, hasn't ever really done much on the tour - but she gives it a good go, credit where it's deserved



8. Na Li

Done what she's had too to get through, hasn't lost a set so far. On her day she's a very dangerous player, and I would love it if she could win another slam. A dark horse, as usual.


7. Madison Keys

One to look out for in the future, I really rate this girl. Goes for winners off both sides, will only improve with more time on the WTA tour.


6. Jamie Hampton

Such a shame about her back problem. Love to watch this girl, and if she doesn't make the top 20 within three years I'm willing to kiss a toad. Total sweetheart, hope she returns to Auckland next year. The future of American tennis is bright so long as she remains injury free.


5. Svetlana Kuznetsova

You have to admire her, she is getting older and her shots aren't as good as they used to be... but she can always pull out a surprise as she has done this week. No one believes she will win another grand slam, except perhaps herself. A very dangerous dark horse.


4. Agnieszka Radwanska

I still can't spell her name, but you might as well call her future grand slam champion. Unbeaten this year, yet to lose a set this year and playing very well in Melbourne so far. Her major weapon is her brain, and perhaps killing opponents with kindness. Unfortunately she needs more than that to challenge Serena or Maria.


3. Queen Kimiko Date-Krumm

Would probably have made this list regardless of how she performed this week, she is a legend particularly in Asia. Won two matches already, and playing a third shortly. I'm surprised that she hasn't got involved with politics yet, she is a great role model, very good speaker and appears very confident. Oh yea, and a damn good tennis player!


2. Maria Sharapova

The princess off court and monster on court. Playing simply unbelievably, nearly back to her best and if Serena loses a leg or faints from heatstroke then she could definatly win this title


1. Serena Williams

Forget 007, what about 207! As much as I love to hate her, she's creaming everyone. So long as she stays awake in the second week, and isn't kidnapped or anything... she's already got one hand on the trophy.

Thank you for everything Mercedes, now please be nice to Socrates for me, perhaps fetch him a bird or two. We love you, always.
kittyking is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 2013, 07:32 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,039
                     
Re: My top ten from week one of the open... enjoy

Good list. But I would have put Stephens on instead of Robson, and Maria ahead of Serena.
PMBH is offline  
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 2013, 10:52 AM
Senior Member
 
Boxuan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 950
                     
Re: My top ten from week one of the open... enjoy

1. American Teens
I'm really impressed by Hampton today. This AO could be remembered as when a new generation of American tennis girls finally starts to flourish, Stephens, Keys and Hampton all have so bright future.

2. Date Kimiko
What a legend! I just hope more great players would follow her example to stay in the tour as long as they can.

3. Russian Brigade
5 Russian ladies made R4, 5/16, when was the last time they did that? Those 5 all born between 85-88 perfectly represent the middle force of the tour right now.


ps: Turns out Jamie Hampton is no longer qualified as a teenager, maybe I noticed her a little bit too late


·┏┻━┓┏━━━┓┏━━━┓┏━━━┓┏━━━┓┏━━━┓
┏┛李娜┣┫·科娃┣┫·郑洁┣┫·伊万┣┫·彭帅┣┫·杨科┃
┗◎━◎┛┗◎━◎┛┗◎━◎┛┗◎━◎┛┗◎━◎┛┗◎━◎┛

Last edited by Boxuan; Jan 19th, 2013 at 11:00 AM.
Boxuan is offline  
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 2013, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
kittyking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 23,499
                     
Re: My top ten from week one of the open... enjoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMBH View Post
Good list. But I would have put Stephens on instead of Robson, and Maria ahead of Serena.
I would have had Stephens quite likely at 11, and yea it's a bit of a toss up for first. Her career best serving (at least in terms of pace) puts her on top. Some guys would be freaked at receiving a 207kph serve!!!

Thank you for everything Mercedes, now please be nice to Socrates for me, perhaps fetch him a bird or two. We love you, always.
kittyking is offline  
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 2013, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
kittyking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 23,499
                     
Re: My top ten from week one of the open... enjoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake Ramoray View Post
1. American Teens
I'm really impressed by Hampton today. This AO could be remembered as when a new generation of American tennis girls finally starts to flourish, Stephens, Keys and Hampton all have so bright future.

2. Date Kimiko
What a legend! I just hope more great players would follow her example to stay in the tour as long as they can.

3. Russian Brigade
5 Russian ladies made R4, 5/16, when was the last time they did that? Those 5 all born between 85-88 perfectly represent the middle force of the tour right now.


ps: Turns out Jamie Hampton is no longer qualified as a teenager, maybe I noticed her a little bit too late
How old is Jamie again? She certainly looks young!

Thank you for everything Mercedes, now please be nice to Socrates for me, perhaps fetch him a bird or two. We love you, always.
kittyking is offline  
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 2013, 11:31 PM
Senior Member
 
Gentleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 14,498
                     
Re: My top ten from week one of the open... enjoy

I love the fact USA has very bright future in WTA! So many young and talented players, I can't even remember all of them.

ANA
Gentleman is offline  
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2013, 01:10 AM
Senior Member
 
Randy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 13,418
                     
Re: My top ten from week one of the open... enjoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyking View Post
How old is Jamie again? She certainly looks young!
she's 23
Randy is offline  
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2013, 05:16 AM
Senior Member
 
Boxuan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 950
                     
Re: My top ten from week one of the open... enjoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyking View Post
How old is Jamie again? She certainly looks young!
Jamie Lee Hampton (born January 8, 1990 in Frankfurt, West Germany)

I didn't know she's already 23 either


·┏┻━┓┏━━━┓┏━━━┓┏━━━┓┏━━━┓┏━━━┓
┏┛李娜┣┫·科娃┣┫·郑洁┣┫·伊万┣┫·彭帅┣┫·杨科┃
┗◎━◎┛┗◎━◎┛┗◎━◎┛┗◎━◎┛┗◎━◎┛┗◎━◎┛
Boxuan is offline  
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2013, 05:20 AM
Senior Member
 
Boxuan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 950
                     
Re: My top ten from week one of the open... enjoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon Daniel View Post
I love the fact USA has very bright future in WTA! So many young and talented players, I can't even remember all of them.
If you're laughing at the last few over-hyped American girls like Oudin, Vandeweghe, McHale..., I'm pretty sure the new trio looks much more like the real deal


·┏┻━┓┏━━━┓┏━━━┓┏━━━┓┏━━━┓┏━━━┓
┏┛李娜┣┫·科娃┣┫·郑洁┣┫·伊万┣┫·彭帅┣┫·杨科┃
┗◎━◎┛┗◎━◎┛┗◎━◎┛┗◎━◎┛┗◎━◎┛┗◎━◎┛
Boxuan is offline  
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2013, 06:28 AM
Senior Member
 
Manitou's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,006
                     
Re: My top ten from week one of the open... enjoy

Today as of 1/19/13 after Maria's match:

1. Maria - is she crazy????!!!!
.
.
.
Jamie Hampton and Sloane Stevens
Date Krumm
Manitou is offline  
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2013, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
kittyking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 23,499
                     
Re: My top ten from week one of the open... enjoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitou View Post
Today as of 1/19/13 after Maria's match:

1. Maria - is she crazy????!!!!
.
.
.
Jamie Hampton and Sloane Stevens
Date Krumm
No mention of Serena?

Thank you for everything Mercedes, now please be nice to Socrates for me, perhaps fetch him a bird or two. We love you, always.
kittyking is offline  
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2013, 08:54 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 11,650
                     
Re: My top ten from week one of the open... enjoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyking View Post

2. Serena Williams

Forget 007, what about 207! As much as I love to hate her, she's creaming everyone. So long as she stays awake in the second week, and isn't kidnapped or anything... she's already got one hand on the trophy.

1. Maria Sharapova

The princess off court and monster on court. Playing simply unbelievably, nearly back to her best and if Serena loses a leg or faints from heatstroke then she could definatly win this title

Corrected. Maria has lost less games and has faced tougher competition.
Roookie is offline  
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2013, 08:57 PM
Senior Member
 
Olórin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 13,699
                     
Re: My top ten from week one of the open... enjoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roookie View Post
Corrected. Maria has lost less games and has faced tougher competition.
Bitter and bothered by Queen Rena as usual. Can't even stand others having an opinion contrary to yours. Sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alla Luce View Post
(1)A lot is being made of the record Serena has vs Sharapova. It is being used as THE reason she will win again lol. Good thing we have players like Tomas Berdych (who had an even worse record vs Nadal) to remind us of the fallacy of this nonsense logic.
(2)You stans may as well sleep well tonight because tomorrow the a replay of Lucie's winning moment over and over again will haunt your dreams for weeks to come
(3)The stars have aligned perfectly for the upset of the 21st century. All the best Garbine
(4) There is no path to victory for Williams.Keys wins in straight easy sets.
Olórin is offline  
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2013, 09:09 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,927
                     
Re: My top ten from week one of the open... enjoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyking View Post
As has became the normal at these sort of events, here are my official top 10 players from week one of the open... enjoy

10. Laura Robson

In my opinion the best British player, and a big hope for the future. Good fighting qualities, although plays the occasional 'interesting' (aka what-were-you-thinking!) shot. And there is something unusual about her left foot, has anyone else noticed it? She's currently down 5-6 against Sloane Stephens, if she wins this match I may have put her higher up the list.


9. Flipper Flipkens

Adonkable, and you can't help but love this girl. A fantastic junior back in the day, hasn't ever really done much on the tour - but she gives it a good go, credit where it's deserved



8. Na Li

Done what she's had too to get through, hasn't lost a set so far. On her day she's a very dangerous player, and I would love it if she could win another slam. A dark horse, as usual.


7. Madison Keys

One to look out for in the future, I really rate this girl. Goes for winners off both sides, will only improve with more time on the WTA tour.


6. Jamie Hampton

Such a shame about her back problem. Love to watch this girl, and if she doesn't make the top 20 within three years I'm willing to kiss a toad. Total sweetheart, hope she returns to Auckland next year. The future of American tennis is bright so long as she remains injury free.


5. Svetlana Kuznetsova

You have to admire her, she is getting older and her shots aren't as good as they used to be... but she can always pull out a surprise as she has done this week. No one believes she will win another grand slam, except perhaps herself. A very dangerous dark horse.


4. Agnieszka Radwanska

I still can't spell her name, but you might as well call her future grand slam champion. Unbeaten this year, yet to lose a set this year and playing very well in Melbourne so far. Her major weapon is her brain, and perhaps killing opponents with kindness. Unfortunately she needs more than that to challenge Serena or Maria.


3. Queen Kimiko Date-Krumm

Would probably have made this list regardless of how she performed this week, she is a legend particularly in Asia. Won two matches already, and playing a third shortly. I'm surprised that she hasn't got involved with politics yet, she is a great role model, very good speaker and appears very confident. Oh yea, and a damn good tennis player!


2. Maria Sharapova

The princess off court and monster on court. Playing simply unbelievably, nearly back to her best and if Serena loses a leg or faints from heatstroke then she could definatly win this title


1. Serena Williams

Forget 007, what about 207! As much as I love to hate her, she's creaming everyone. So long as she stays awake in the second week, and isn't kidnapped or anything... she's already got one hand on the trophy.
We're entitled to our opinions, but I feel that Kimiko Date doesn't belong on this list. Anyone can have a couple of lucky wins, but she had no pedigree coming into this tournament as she has barely won a WTA match the first 10 months of 2012 and her ranking dropped by 100 spots in two years. Beating a similar free falling Shahar Peer to get to round 3 is no great accomplishment.

Elena Vesnina who is won her first tournament last week and has backed it up by getting past round 3 to now play Azarenka, or Ekaterina Makarova, who is backing up last year's quarterfinal performance with another quarterfinal, beating TWO seeds along the way are much more deserving of being on this list.

Azarenka, Muguruza, Kerber, Beck, Lepchenko, Goerges, Puig, Kasatkina
Lisciki, Robson
Terziyska
BillFromRichmond is offline  
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2013, 10:23 PM
Senior Member
 
Manitou's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,006
                     
Re: My top ten from week one of the open... enjoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyking View Post
No mention of Serena?
She is just doing her usual job, so no surprise here


-
Manitou is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome