US Men Drought = More WTA coverage (ESPN) - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2013, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Sir Stefwhit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: New York
Posts: 5,933
                     
Re: US Men Drought = More WTA coverage (ESPN)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aravanecaravan View Post
Enjoy it while it lasts. You can bet Patrick McEnroe and Gilbert are eating their livers and stewing in the bile having to talking about women's tennis. They're two huge reasons I think Tennis Channel generally does a better job covering the majors.
...sad, but so true.

STEFWHIT'S HALL OF FAME
Greatest Singles Player of All Time: Steffi Graf
Simply the BEST: Serena Williams [Proud MEMBER OF RENA'S ARMY]
The REAL GOAT Rafael Nadal
Future Inductees: Clijsters, C.Evert, A.Agassi, A.Berasategui, N. Zvereva, I.Majoli, M.Safin, Li Na, VIKA, and Del Potro
Sir Stefwhit is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2013, 08:40 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 991
                     
Re: US Men Drought = More WTA coverage (ESPN)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pureracket View Post
I know Pat McEnroe is sick because he LOVED Roddick is not able to salivate over him now. This is a complex issue, though. Many Americans on this board hate Serena and Venus, but after they've retired, the prospects for American women are maybe just as dim for the women as they are for the men. Once Venus and Serena retire, the advertising dollars will dry up.
Just coz you're often involved in stan wars on this board in relation to the WS, doesn't mean they're hated. Stop being myopic with your generalizations. The fact that the WS continue to command viewer ratings in women's sport should tell you something!
ZeroSumGame is offline  
post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2013, 09:25 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,517
                     
Re: US Men Drought = More WTA coverage (ESPN)

I think you spoke too soon because each time I turn on ESPN's channel it's some crappy boring men's match with even less interesting players!
shoparound is offline  
post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2013, 09:47 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: florida
Posts: 24,503
                     
Re: US Men Drought = More WTA coverage (ESPN)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroSumGame View Post
Just coz you're often involved in stan wars on this board in relation to the WS, doesn't mean they're hated. Stop being myopic with your generalizations. The fact that the WS continue to command viewer ratings in women's sport should tell you something!
Is that what posters like you and Pov do? Take parts of another poster's post and then make a generalization (often untrue) about that poster. Regardless of these "stan wars" you speak of, your condescending approach to my post is uncalled for. There are posters on this board whose very existence is to troll WS and their fans. That's not being myopic or generalizing at all. Tell me what you think it means when the WS command viewer ratings.

I'll state again: It's ironic that the WS are HATED by so many other American posters on this board. After they retire, advertising dollars in the US will dry up for tennis, and there may not be as much to watch in the US.

(Vultures, have it.... )

-one of those "bad" Williams fans that everyone keeps talking about


OFFICIAL BLACKSMITH OF THE ROYAL COURT

I don't mind straight people as long as they act gay in public!
Pureracket is offline  
post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2013, 11:27 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,867
                     
Re: US Men Drought = More WTA coverage (ESPN)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoparound View Post
I think you spoke too soon because each time I turn on ESPN's channel it's some crappy boring men's match with even less interesting players!
I agree. They were still practicing American homerism. There was extensive coverage of the Ryan Harrison and Steve Johnson ( who are these guys???Oh...they are the next American hopes...) matches.

And on the women's side, all they talked about were the Williams sisters and the so called up and coming "Young Americans".

Azarenka, Muguruza, Kerber, Beck, Lepchenko, Goerges
Lisciki, Robson
Terziyska, Martic, Riske, Halep, McHale
BillFromRichmond is offline  
post #21 of 43 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2013, 11:30 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,867
                     
Re: US Men Drought = More WTA coverage (ESPN)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pureracket View Post
I know Pat McEnroe is sick because he LOVED Roddick is not able to salivate over him now. This is a complex issue, though. Many Americans on this board hate Serena and Venus, but after they've retired, the prospects for American women are maybe just as dim for the women as they are for the men. Once Venus and Serena retire, the advertising dollars will dry up.
Thanks PureRacket for standing up to the "you can't say anyway wrong about anyone who is black" crowd.

Azarenka, Muguruza, Kerber, Beck, Lepchenko, Goerges
Lisciki, Robson
Terziyska, Martic, Riske, Halep, McHale
BillFromRichmond is offline  
post #22 of 43 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2013, 11:43 PM
Senior Member
 
Manitou's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,989
                     
Re: US Men Drought = More WTA coverage (ESPN)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippityHop View Post
I hate it when people quote a post and simply say "this". It smacks of intellectual laziness to me.
this



--
Manitou is offline  
post #23 of 43 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2013, 11:44 PM
Senior Member
 
iWill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 15,538
                     
Re: US Men Drought = More WTA coverage (ESPN)

The American women contingent in Australia has more players with chances at a deep run than the men's side. Just like the last 30+ majors since the USO 2003 when Roddick won the last slam the Americans will see for a long time on the men's side.

There are some decent prospects on the men's side but none of them will likely go deep into the 2nd week. If Queery doesnt get there there likely will be no Americans in the 4th round of this slam on the men's side. If this does happen I will be very curious to see which matches they show in place of the typical spot left for American players.

*********************

Jameka the G.O.A.T
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProdigy555 View Post
*inserts a couple fingers into you*
iWill is offline  
post #24 of 43 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2013, 11:50 PM
Senior Member
 
Manitou's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,989
                     
Re: US Men Drought = More WTA coverage (ESPN)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pureracket View Post
Once Venus and Serena retire, the advertising dollars will dry up.
This will happen very soon after every top WTA player's last name will end with -ova, -eva or -enka or -ska.
Tennis will become a niche sport in US media, just like figure skating or cross country skiing. And since US media is pretty much the world media, then the rest of the world will quickly follow....



--
Manitou is offline  
post #25 of 43 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2013, 12:18 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 27,655
                     
Re: US Men Drought = More WTA coverage (ESPN)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitou View Post
This will happen very soon after every top WTA player's last name will end with -ova, -eva or -enka or -ska.
Tennis will become a niche sport in US media, just like figure skating or cross country skiing. And since US media is pretty much the world media, then the rest of the world will quickly follow....



--
Many of the new players are Westerners.
Your average tennis fan is more likely to cheer for a gal named Laura Robson than Olga Govortsova, that's sad but true.

With Robson, Watson, Stephens, Keys, McHale and Barty, the WTA could be back.
Their impeccable English will also help.
Wiggly is offline  
post #26 of 43 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2013, 01:02 AM
Senior Member
 
tennisbum79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Planet Venus
Posts: 39,491
                     
Re: US Men Drought = More WTA coverage (ESPN)

It is not something I am chearing about, but this particular occasion, I wouldn't complain.

__________________________________
Venus Williams Grand Slam VII
Serena Williams Grand Slam XXI

Nadia Petrova Grand Slam Hope Is Fading
Updated: Jan 31. 2015
Next Update Date: Post 2015 RG
Rest in peace, Elena Baltacha.
tennisbum79 is offline  
post #27 of 43 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2013, 01:05 AM
Senior Member
 
tennisbum79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Planet Venus
Posts: 39,491
                     
Re: US Men Drought = More WTA coverage (ESPN)

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Will2 View Post
The American women contingent in Australia has more players with chances at a deep run than the men's side. Just like the last 30+ majors since the USO 2003 when Roddick won the last slam the Americans will see for a long time on the men's side.

There are some decent prospects on the men's side but none of them will likely go deep into the 2nd week. If Queery doesnt get there there likely will be no Americans in the 4th round of this slam on the men's side. If this does happen I will be very curious to see which matches they show in place of the typical spot left for American players.
I will believe when I see it.
We have been heart broken so many times, thanks to Pam Shriver who sees the future of American tennis whenever she sees one American woman shine at a tournament. Comes to mind

__________________________________
Venus Williams Grand Slam VII
Serena Williams Grand Slam XXI

Nadia Petrova Grand Slam Hope Is Fading
Updated: Jan 31. 2015
Next Update Date: Post 2015 RG
Rest in peace, Elena Baltacha.
tennisbum79 is offline  
post #28 of 43 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2013, 01:17 AM
Hoping for less D'oh and more woohoo!
 
Slammer7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: L♥ving an Angel
Posts: 14,666
                     
Re: US Men Drought = More WTA coverage (ESPN)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFromRichmond View Post
Thanks PureRacket for standing up to the "you can't say anyway wrong about anyone who is black" crowd.
What the hell? Where did you get that from?

I've seen you make not so subtle digs about race before when it had nothing to do with the subject at hand. Where in his statement was there an allusion to anyone's race?

Proud Blackjack!
Quote:
Originally Posted by meyerpl View Post
Isn't Mary Carillo a dried up, bitter, menopausal, frustrated harpy.....?
Slammer7 is offline  
post #29 of 43 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2013, 01:42 AM
Senior Member
 
suckulentaces96's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 14,793
                     
Re: US Men Drought = More WTA coverage (ESPN)

Hopefully a lot of coverage of Oudin! Unfortunately she'll be competing with Serena though I hope this one time Serena finishes off very quickly
suckulentaces96 is online now  
post #30 of 43 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2013, 02:42 AM
Senior Member
 
Rome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,597
                     
Re: US Men Drought = More WTA coverage (ESPN)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroSumGame View Post
Just coz you're often involved in stan wars on this board in relation to the WS, doesn't mean they're hated. Stop being myopic with your generalizations. The fact that the WS continue to command viewer ratings in women's sport should tell you something!
Well if there not hated all you hear on espn is how to beat Serena. Nothing like that when you watch Sharapova all i heard when she was playing, was free advertising for her candy had to turn the volume down. The only other player they talk strategies on how to beat is Venus. One of the reason they fired Mary C. Im over it myself.

Serena Williams GOAT
Rome is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome