Peak Henin vs peak Venus - TennisForum.com
View Poll Results: Peak Henin vs peak Venus
Henin wins on all surfaces including grass (aka delusional Henintards) 2 1.74%
Venus wins on all surfaces including clay (aka delusional Venustards) 14 12.17%
Henin wins on all but grass 22 19.13%
Venus wins on all but clay 57 49.57%
They split depending on the surfaces (Henin indoors, rebound ace, clay, Venus grass and medium to fast outdoor courts) 20 17.39%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 89 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2012, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 415
                     
Peak Henin vs peak Venus

Might as well add my own since everyone else has made one, and since their careers are virtually a wash anyway. I would say Henin easily on clay (duh), Venus easily on grass (duh, although IMO a bit closer than clay), and almost a toss up on hard courts or indoors.
forehand27 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 89 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2012, 06:29 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 11,650
                     
Re: Peak Henin vs peak Venus

Jesustine 7-6 6-4
Roookie is offline  
post #3 of 89 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2012, 06:30 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 22,613
                     
Re: Peak Henin vs peak Venus

It's curious becuase that's a match that never happened on wta. Most of their matches were when Venus was a dominant force and Henin was simply a rising star. And the last one was Henin in one of her best moments but Venus far from her peak.

That would be a interesting match for sure, not only for the quality of the players but for the contrast of styles too
jj74 is offline  
post #4 of 89 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2012, 06:32 PM
Dubai Love
 
Uranium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 52,613
                     
Re: Peak Henin vs peak Venus

Peak Venus except clay. Peak Henin on hardcourts I believe to be 2007 and Venus took her to a tight 2 setter. Thus making me believe that Peaknus would beat her in however many sets needed on hard.


Uranium is offline  
post #5 of 89 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2012, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 415
                     
Re: Peak Henin vs peak Venus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj74 View Post
It's curious becuase that's a match that never happened on wta. Most of their matches were when Venus was a dominant force and Henin was simply a rising star. And the last one was Henin in one of her best moments but Venus far from her peak.

That would be a interesting match for sure, not only for the quality of the players but for the contrast of styles too
This WTA era will sadly be most remembered for epic number of injuries, burnouts, inconsistencies, and retirements, and many what could have been rivalries. Serena vs Henin never really met peak to peak either, nor Hingis vs Serena, nor Sharapova vs Venus, and a number of others.
forehand27 is offline  
post #6 of 89 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2012, 06:35 PM
Senior Member
 
Sammo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Self-made gilded cage
Posts: 34,396
                     
Re: Peak Henin vs peak Venus

Henin wins on all but grass

The belief that man is an irresolute creature pulled this way and that by two forces of equal strength, alternately winning and losing the battle for his soul; the conviction that human life is nothing more than an uncertain struggle between heaven and hell; the faith in two opposed entities, Satan and Christ - all this was bound to engender those internal discords in which the mind, excited by the incessant fighting, stimulated as it were by the constant promises and threats, ends up by giving in and prostitutes itself to whichever of the two combatants has been more obstinate in its pursuit. Life isn't black and white, it's gold.
Sammo is online now  
post #7 of 89 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2012, 06:51 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
danieln1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 22,659
                     
Re: Peak Henin vs peak Venus

Grass: 6-0 6-2 Venus
Hard: 7-5 5-7 6-4 Venus
Carpet: 6-1 6-4 Venus
Clay: 6-4 3-6 6-4 Henin

ITF: “She is the sole author of her own misfortune.”
danieln1 is offline  
post #8 of 89 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2012, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 415
                     
Re: Peak Henin vs peak Venus

Quote:
Originally Posted by @danieln1 View Post
Grass: 6-0 6-2 Venus
Hard: 7-5 5-7 6-4 Venus
Carpet: 6-1 6-4 Venus
Clay: 6-4 3-6 6-4 Henin
ROTFL at your grass, clay, and carpet scores. Baby Henin played peak Venus at Wimbledon in 2001 and 2002 and won a set in one of them, and got 5 games in the other. As for clay peak Venus was drubbed by no name Henin 6-4, 6-1 the first time they played on any surface. Indoors Venus winning for the loss of a mere 5 games you think. Henin actualy won back to back WTA Championships, while Venus won her only one ever after Henin had retired. Venus in no way has a tremendous record on indoor or carpet courts. The only accurate one you listed is probably hard courts, it would be something like that I agree.
forehand27 is offline  
post #9 of 89 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2012, 06:57 PM
Senior Member
 
Queen_Vee_92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 841
                     
Re: Peak Henin vs peak Venus

Venus on fast hard courts and and certainly grass.

Henin on slow hard courts and certainly clay.

No debate really neeeded for clay and grass, as they are the 2 exceptional players on their surface this generation.

fast hard courts suit Venus' game perfectly and she was practically unstoppable there in her peak years bar Serena in PeakRena form. In 07, Venus played an exceptional match against Justine whilst appearing drained, and made it tight in what i consider to be the best overall match Justine played on a hardcourt against a top player, so i think on a US open like court 00/01 Venus beats 07 Henin with pure aggression.

slow hard courts we never really got this between them. The Aus Open 03 match was peak Venus on rebound ace, again probably her best match on the surface in her career, and Justine was a little short of the grand slam winning mental giant phase. In all likelihood Justine would've bested her more peak for peak on this kind of surface where she could frustrate Venus more and no doubt Venus' technique would've come to let her down as it has so often on a slow ass HC.

the most even question of who is better really. Both are tied for slams, both have opposite games that favour different scenarios and courts. Would absolutely have loved to see peak these two face on a hard court would be such a battle. The only thing that leans me more to Vee as a better peak player than Henin is the eras. Justine's dominance was in a weaker time than Venus' where there were 3 or 4 absolutely class players playing brilliant tennis.

Venus Williams Sarin Claypova
http://topictennis.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote:
Each tournament is important for me, ... Each tournament would do something to my ranking and such kind of thing, step forward for the future. Also I think it's the opportunity, the opportunity to do what I love, to play my best, to play for the people who appreciate what I do.
(Venus Williams)
Queen_Vee_92 is offline  
post #10 of 89 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2012, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 415
                     
Re: Peak Henin vs peak Venus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen_Vee_92 View Post
Venus on fast hard courts and and certainly grass.

Henin on slow hard courts and certainly clay.

No debate really neeeded for clay and grass, as they are the 2 exceptional players on their surface this generation.

fast hard courts suit Venus' game perfectly and she was practically unstoppable there in her peak years bar Serena in PeakRena form. In 07, Venus played an exceptional match against Justine whilst appearing drained, and made it tight in what i consider to be the best overall match Justine played on a hardcourt against a top player, so i think on a US open like court 00/01 Venus beats 07 Henin with pure aggression.

slow hard courts we never really got this between them. The Aus Open 03 match was peak Venus on rebound ace, again probably her best match on the surface in her career, and Justine was a little short of the grand slam winning mental giant phase. In all likelihood Justine would've bested her more peak for peak on this kind of surface where she could frustrate Venus more and no doubt Venus' technique would've come to let her down as it has so often on a slow ass HC.

the most even question of who is better really. Both are tied for slams, both have opposite games that favour different scenarios and courts. Would absolutely have loved to see peak these two face on a hard court would be such a battle. The only thing that leans me more to Vee as a better peak player than Henin is the eras. Justine's dominance was in a weaker time than Venus' where there were 3 or 4 absolutely class players playing brilliant tennis.
Excellent assessment, I agree with all you said. Although would add even though I feel peak Henin would most times beat peak Venus at the Australian Open, the Venus of the 2003 Australian Open was exceptional and would win even over peak Henin, but she never quite reproduced that level on the surface again. The only one who could beat her there that year was Serena, and mostly only due to the mental issue, otherwise she was playing better than Serena there that year .
forehand27 is offline  
post #11 of 89 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2012, 07:01 PM
Isha > Your fave
 
Miss Amor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: London
Posts: 26,658
                     
Re: Peak Henin vs peak Venus

Venus on fast surfaces

Henin on clay.

On slow HC, their 2003 AO match is as close to a decent indicator as we can get. Venus wasnt in her 2001 form while Henin was still quite young (although that was the year she went on to win 2 slams and have one of the best seasons of her career). Obviously Peak Venus won't win in a similar fashion against Peak Henin, but she will win nonetheless on this surface.
Miss Amor is offline  
post #12 of 89 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2012, 07:03 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 22,613
                     
Re: Peak Henin vs peak Venus

Quote:
Originally Posted by @danieln1 View Post
Grass: 6-0 6-2 Venus
Hard: 7-5 5-7 6-4 Venus
Carpet: 6-1 6-4 Venus
Clay: 6-4 3-6 6-4 Henin
I don't think so.

A young Henin played Venus in a Wimbledon final and it was a three set match (yes I know Venus trashed her in the third).

And in clay Henin was the best player of this era by far
jj74 is offline  
post #13 of 89 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2012, 07:05 PM
Senior Member
 
sweetadri06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 5,718
                     
Re: Peak Henin vs peak Venus

Venus wins everywhere except clay. Apparently Justine was more intimidated by Venus than Serena.

20
sweetadri06 is offline  
post #14 of 89 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2012, 07:08 PM
Senior Member
 
Queen_Vee_92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 841
                     
Re: Peak Henin vs peak Venus

Quote:
Originally Posted by forehand27 View Post
Excellent assessment, I agree with all you said. Although would add even though I feel peak Henin would most times beat peak Venus at the Australian Open, the Venus of the 2003 Australian Open was exceptional and would win even over peak Henin, but she never quite reproduced that level on the surface again. The only one who could beat her there that year was Serena, and mostly only due to the mental issue, otherwise she was playing better than Serena there that year .
No if Venus had produced that kind of form in Australia any year since then, she'd probably be on about 4 singles titles there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradbury View Post
Venus on fast surfaces

Henin on clay.

On slow HC, their 2003 AO match is as close to a decent indicator as we can get. Venus wasnt in her 2001 form while Henin was still quite young (although that was the year she went on to win 2 slams and have one of the best seasons of her career). Obviously Peak Venus won't win in a similar fashion against Peak Henin, but she will win nonetheless on this surface.
I actually think Oz Open 03 Venus is the best tournament she'd ever played on a hardcourt bar the matchup/mental issue in the final against lil sis.

To play as well as that on a surface in which before and after she's come nowhere close, makes me think that was actually the last time we saw absolute peak Venus show up. I think she played as well as she ever had in 2001 in that particular tournament if not better. The highglights of the henin match are just how easy she was making literally everything look. She barely ever looked like missing in that match. Hoping she brings that back for the 10 year anniversary

Venus Williams Sarin Claypova
http://topictennis.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote:
Each tournament is important for me, ... Each tournament would do something to my ranking and such kind of thing, step forward for the future. Also I think it's the opportunity, the opportunity to do what I love, to play my best, to play for the people who appreciate what I do.
(Venus Williams)
Queen_Vee_92 is offline  
post #15 of 89 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2012, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 415
                     
Re: Peak Henin vs peak Venus

I remember I was cheering for Venus so much to win that Australian Open final vs Serena. I was devastated when she lost. I like Serena too but Venus needed that win so much more IMO. Then again I was happy for Serena completing that historic Serena Slam, which was fitting reward for her insanely high level of play in 2002-2003, especialy as she fought her guts out that tournament to survive numerous times, vs Loit, vs Kim, then vs Venus.
forehand27 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome