Peak Wozniacki v. Peak Zvonereva - Page 3 - TennisForum.com

View Poll Results: Whose peak is better?
Vera 86 76.11%
Caroline 27 23.89%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 71 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2012, 03:38 PM
Senior Member
 
moby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 14,431
                     
Re: Peak Wozniacki v. Peak Zvonereva

Quote:
Originally Posted by homogenius View Post
Peak Vera had more or less her nerves under control (in comparison to Regular vera)and that changed a lot of things cause she was able to exploit all of her qualities.
Also, I fail to see how Woz's game was particularly new and how she had more potential.Mentally she is miles ahead but game wise she's firmly behind Vera imo.
Vera has difficulties when brought out wide, especially by quick DTLs from her opponent that invariably result in a short ball or floater from her opponent. Partly because she's not particularly fast (also because I think her movement outwide is not very efficient), and also because of her extremely long groundstroke swings. She is not good at neutralising the point from that position.

I think Peak LaBorz hits her backhand DTL with conviction and that will be the best and biggest stroke from either party in a match. Wozniacka has capabilities for a more dynamic game than Vera, IMO, is certainly a better defender (especially against Vera's mid-level power), and also creates more changes with spin, pace and height of the ball in a rally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin. View Post
I think Vera very clearly hits the ball bigger and has more variety. The other two are more up for debate IMO.
Not that much bigger. I think Wozniacki can hit the ball bigger and heavier.

A single flow'r he sent me, since we met./All tenderly his messenger he chose;
Deep-hearted, pure, with scented dew still wet - One perfect rose.
I knew the language of the floweret;/'My fragile leaves,' it said, 'his heart enclose.'
Love long has taken for his amulet/One perfect rose.
Why is it no one ever sent me yet/One perfect limousine, do you suppose?
Ah no, it's always just my luck to get/One perfect rose.

Last edited by moby; Nov 15th, 2012 at 03:48 PM.
moby is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 71 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2012, 03:42 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,640
                     
Re: Peak Wozniacki v. Peak Zvonereva

Quote:
Originally Posted by moby View Post
Vera has a lot of difficulties when brought out wide, especially by quick DTLs from her opponent that invariably result in a short ball or floater from her opponent. Partly because she's not particularly fast (also because I think her movement outwide is not very efficient), and also because of her extremely long groundstroke swings. She is not good at neutralising the point from that position.

I think Peak LaBorz hits her backhand DTL with conviction and that will be the best and biggest stroke from either party in a match. Wozniacka has capabilities for a more dynamic game than Vera, IMO, is certainly a better defender (especially against Vera's mid-level power), and also creates more changes with spin, pace and height of the ball in a rally.

Not that much bigger. I think Wozniacki can hit the ball bigger and heavier.
usually unintentional though

sharapova barty dokic duval hingis lisicki pliskovas robson venus
Steven. is offline  
post #33 of 71 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2012, 03:48 PM
Senior Member
 
moby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 14,431
                     
Re: Peak Wozniacki v. Peak Zvonereva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven. View Post
usually unintentional though
But it still happens.

A single flow'r he sent me, since we met./All tenderly his messenger he chose;
Deep-hearted, pure, with scented dew still wet - One perfect rose.
I knew the language of the floweret;/'My fragile leaves,' it said, 'his heart enclose.'
Love long has taken for his amulet/One perfect rose.
Why is it no one ever sent me yet/One perfect limousine, do you suppose?
Ah no, it's always just my luck to get/One perfect rose.
moby is offline  
post #34 of 71 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2012, 04:13 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 27,034
                     
Re: Peak Wozniacki v. Peak Zvonereva

The truth is peak for peak Wozniacki loses to all top 20 talent in the world, because of the way she plays tennis. For her qualities to shine through you´d have to take an average of 10 matches, and say how many times will her game come through against a Zvonareva, Schiavone, Pennetta, Kuznetsova or Hantuchova. Peak for Peak she gets beaten by all of them, but she´ll beat Hantuchova 8-9 out of 10 times, because Wozniacki´s average performance is much higher than Hantuchova´s average tennis. But on her best day (French Open) Hantuchova will murder Wozniacki.

- Caroline Wozniacki has never beaten a reigning world #1.
- Caroline Wozniacki has never beaten a top 5 player at a major.
- Caroline Wozniacki has not beaten a top 3 player en route to any of her 23 titles.
- Caroline Wozniacki has beaten two top 5 players en route to her 23 titles (#4 Zvonareva and #5 Schiavone)

-Her fans think she had very bad luck with her Grand Slam and Regular Tour draws.
Patrick345 is offline  
post #35 of 71 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2012, 05:36 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 15,793
                     
Re: Peak Wozniacki v. Peak Zvonereva

Quote:
Originally Posted by moby View Post
Vera has difficulties when brought out wide, especially by quick DTLs from her opponent that invariably result in a short ball or floater from her opponent. Partly because she's not particularly fast (also because I think her movement outwide is not very efficient), and also because of her extremely long groundstroke swings. She is not good at neutralising the point from that position.

I think Peak LaBorz hits her backhand DTL with conviction and that will be the best and biggest stroke from either party in a match. Wozniacka has capabilities for a more dynamic game than Vera, IMO, is certainly a better defender (especially against Vera's mid-level power), and also creates more changes with spin, pace and height of the ball in a rally.

Not that much bigger. I think Wozniacki can hit the ball bigger and heavier.
I agree that Woz is a better defensive player than Vera (Zvonareva's movement is VERY overrated on TF - people seem to just assume she's quick just because she's athletic and can do the splits), but "really?" to the bits in bold? Peak Vera's backhand craps all over Woz's, and let's not even go into comparing their forehands. I also really don't agree that Woz changes the pace of the game more -- Zvonareva was actually very good at intelligently constructing points, it's just she didn't get the chance to put those tactical skills to use against the elite who took the game out of her hands.

With that said, I do kinda think that Woz was slightly closer to winning a Slam than Vera was -- even though Vera was the stronger all-around player, Woz atleast was outstanding in one area of the game (defence) even though she was woeful in other areas, whereas Vera was solid in most areas of the game but outstanding in none.
dsanders06 is offline  
post #36 of 71 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2012, 06:42 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 416
                     
Re: Peak Wozniacki v. Peak Zvonereva

Wozniacki would win. Like dsanders mentioned she atleast has world class outstanding defense. I would add to that world class consistency when playing her best. Vera is a jack of all trades, master of none, she is good at everything (well even that is generous, most things I should say), but great a nothing.

Anyone thinking Wozniacki was playing her best in that U.S Open semifinal with Vera is delusional. I like Vera more than Woz and was happy she won, but Wozniacki played one of her worst matches of the whole summer bar none for whatever reason, be it the wind, or some nerves as that was the first time she really sensed she could win a slam.
forehand27 is offline  
post #37 of 71 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2012, 06:44 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 416
                     
Re: Peak Wozniacki v. Peak Zvonereva

WTF is with the poll results. Does this whole forum hate Wozniacki or something. I could see Vera possibly being ahead (although I disagree) but with over three quarters of the votes, lol! This is peak Vera people, not some great player who can power Wozniacki off the court.
forehand27 is offline  
post #38 of 71 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2012, 06:44 PM
Rican In The Burgh
 
charmedRic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Yinzer Land
Posts: 36,432
                     
Re: Peak Wozniacki v. Peak Zvonereva

Vera. In Peak Forms, definitely Vera.

TT Singles: 2014 SF: Bogota, New Braunfels. 2013 F: Las Vegas, SF: Orlando, Sibenik.
TT Doubles: 2014 W: Trnava w PinkTape. 2013 W: St Martin, Orlando, Sibenik, Charlottesville, Nantes-YEC all w Soliloque; Lexington w DJDVD.
charmedRic is online now  
post #39 of 71 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2012, 07:13 PM
Senior Member
 
DropshotPova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 819
                     
Caro would win this. Her defense is much better and with that she makes Vera extra shots to win the point, and even peak Vera is like a mental midget, so she would break down eventually


Sent from my iPhone using Verticalsports.com Free App
DropshotPova is offline  
post #40 of 71 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2012, 07:36 PM
Senior Member
 
Blu€'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: King's Landing
Posts: 7,110
                     
Re: Peak Wozniacki v. Peak Zvonereva

Quote:
Originally Posted by forehand27 View Post
WTF is with the poll results. Does this whole forum hate Wozniacki or something.
Caro is on her way to win a 4th consecutive title as the most hated player in TF so... yes, don't look for any praise for Woz in TF even against someone mentally unstable like Vera.


···♥♥Wozniacki♥♥···

💨💦☁⚡"Even the darkest night will end and "Sunshine" will rise" ⛅☀🌞🌻
Blu€ is offline  
post #41 of 71 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2012, 07:43 PM
Senior Member
 
TheEmpress's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 795
                     
Re: Peak Wozniacki v. Peak Zvonereva

Vera can hit as consistent as Caro, with more power and more variety.

Jelena Jankovic
Daniela Hantuchova
Gisela Dulko
Maria Kirilenko
TheEmpress is offline  
post #42 of 71 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2012, 07:45 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 27,034
                     
Re: Peak Wozniacki v. Peak Zvonereva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu€ View Post
Caro is on her way to win a 4th consecutive title as the most hated player in TF so... yes, don't look for any praise for Woz even against someone mentally unstable like Vera.
Peak defense is like the fat kid is with glasses and an artifical limb. It always gets picked last; as a weapon of choice in a Peak debate.

Zvonareva has a positive H2H against Wozniacki anyway during their peak years. Only a mentally unstable person would pick the defensive player in a peak debate between two players, where the offensive player in the match-up already has the real H2H lead.

- Caroline Wozniacki has never beaten a reigning world #1.
- Caroline Wozniacki has never beaten a top 5 player at a major.
- Caroline Wozniacki has not beaten a top 3 player en route to any of her 23 titles.
- Caroline Wozniacki has beaten two top 5 players en route to her 23 titles (#4 Zvonareva and #5 Schiavone)

-Her fans think she had very bad luck with her Grand Slam and Regular Tour draws.
Patrick345 is offline  
post #43 of 71 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2012, 07:50 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 416
                     
Re: Peak Wozniacki v. Peak Zvonereva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick345 View Post
Peak defense is like the fat kid is with glasses and an artifical limb. It always gets picked last; as a weapon of choice in a Peak debate.

Zvonareva has a positive H2H against Wozniacki anyway during their peak years. Only a mentally unstable person would pick the defensive player in a peak debate between two players, where the offensive player in the match-up already has the real H2H lead.
So now Vera is considered an offensive player, lol! She is a bit more offensive than Wozniacki, but both are more defensive than offensive. As for the defensive player never having the edge in a peak thread, peak Nadal has the edge on peak Federer, peak Djokovic has the edge vs all power players at their peak except peak Federer (and so does peak Nadal, except in his case including Federer), peak Sanchez Vicario has the edge over peak Huber, peak Majoli, peak Maggie Maleeva, peak Date, maybe peak Pierce, despite that all hit much harder than her. Would you say peak Na has the edge on peak Hingis since she hits much harder and is probably more offensive.
forehand27 is offline  
post #44 of 71 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2012, 08:13 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: usa
Posts: 1,411
                     
Re: Peak Wozniacki v. Peak Zvonereva

I found the thread " Peak Vikapower vs peak GoDokic, WWW? " is more exciting than this.


Having said that, although I can hardly get excited watching these 2 players playing,, Did Vera and Woz all reach their respected " peaks" around somewhere in between 09-11, where Woz were at #1, Vera reached her best at #2, and Woz owned all the Russian players with a record of 35-4 or something like that?
dragonflies is offline  
post #45 of 71 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2012, 10:15 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 148
                     
Re: Peak Wozniacki v. Peak Zvonereva

resilience is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome