Which is Serena Williams's best season so far? 2002 or 2012? - Page 9 - TennisForum.com

View Poll Results: Which is Serena Williams's best season so far? 2002 or 2012?
2002 106 83.46%
2012 21 16.54%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #121 of 142 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2012, 06:15 PM
Senior Member
 
Start da Game's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,946
                     
Re: Which is Serena Williams's best season so far? 2002 or 2012?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsanders06 View Post
at people again trotting out the "ZOMG the competition was so much better in 2002!!!11!!". Whoever said people were wrongly conflating 2002 with 1999-2001 was spot-on - 99-01 was truly the WTA's golden age, but in '02, Hingis dropped out, Davenport missed almost the entire season with injury, Henin and Clijsters had a strangely poor year (esp in the Slams) despite their breakthrough seasons in '01. Serena's only significant rivals that year were Venus and Capriati. The strength at the top of the game was certainly on a par with 2002.

With that said, Serena's 2002 is obviously still much better than 2012, because of the fact she dominated on all surfaces. 2 of her big wins in 2012 came on grass, and she was hardly convincing at the US Open. Even though the Willytards don't like to hear it, it's still pretty obvious that Serena's best tournament of 2012 level of play-wise was the YEC (the Li match aside) when you take into account that it was a slow surface that didn't give her much serve much bang for its buck and actually forced her to play better off the ground than she did on grass.
1997 - 2001 was actually very weak......steffi, arantxa, seles were done and dusted mentally and physically......there were talks of steffi's retirement as early as 1995 but she somehow continued on......

hingis took over the weak era (1997 - 2001) and won all the slams she could before venus and serena peaked too early for her(hingis) unfortunately and took over completely......very much reminiscent of federer's domination before nadal and djokovic peaked(2003 - 2006)......

2001 saw the revival of capriati(a player who i dislike for some reason) and those belgian slam fights(clijsters-henin) started in the same year as well......venus and serena entered their peaks and started smashing everyone else into oblivion......
Start da Game is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #122 of 142 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2012, 06:18 PM
Senior Member
 
sweetadri06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 5,718
                     
Re: Which is Serena Williams's best season so far? 2002 or 2012?

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomsday View Post
Yeah but the the competition was way too weak overall though. She played great for sure but she wasn't even challenged and couldn't be against those mugs except Stosur.
Well i'm talking about her game coming together perfectly, not really competition-wise. At the YEC her level was overall "meh" but she did play great in the final.

20
sweetadri06 is offline  
post #123 of 142 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2012, 06:19 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,640
                     
Re: Which is Serena Williams's best season so far? 2002 or 2012?

nobody gives a shit about nadal

sharapova barty dokic duval hingis lisicki pliskovas robson venus
Steven. is offline  
post #124 of 142 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2012, 06:24 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 44,592
                     
Re: Which is Serena Williams's best season so far? 2002 or 2012?

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomsday View Post
No it's not that bad when we know that she won Wimbledon, OG, USO and YEC.
But maybe you were expecting her to win every single title well that's not gonna happen.
Right, right...so why you guys so sad about the 3-6 record in finals this year, then?!

Always bet on black!
Can you handle the truth?
The truth:
Serena Williams: Greatest African-American tennisplayer in history
21 majors:6366


Official Prince of the Royal Court
bandabou is online now  
post #125 of 142 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2012, 06:31 PM
Senior Member
 
Start da Game's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,946
                     
Re: Which is Serena Williams's best season so far? 2002 or 2012?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven. View Post
nobody gives a shit about nadal
of course you do, that's why you bothered to post about him.....
Start da Game is offline  
post #126 of 142 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2012, 06:59 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 13,362
                     
Re: Which is Serena Williams's best season so far? 2002 or 2012?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandabou View Post
Right, right...so why you guys so sad about the 3-6 record in finals this year, then?!
3-6 is quite bad but only Miami really bothers me though, the others she had zero chance with the way she was playing and of course because of the opponent as well.
doomsday is offline  
post #127 of 142 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2012, 07:05 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 416
                     
Re: Which is Serena Williams's best season so far? 2002 or 2012?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Start da Game View Post
1997 - 2001 was actually very weak......steffi, arantxa, seles were done and dusted mentally and physically......there were talks of steffi's retirement as early as 1995 but she somehow continued on......

hingis took over the weak era (1997 - 2001) and won all the slams she could before venus and serena peaked too early for her(hingis) unfortunately and took over completely......very much reminiscent of federer's domination before nadal and djokovic peaked(2003 - 2006)......

2001 saw the revival of capriati(a player who i dislike for some reason) and those belgian slam fights(clijsters-henin) started in the same year as well......venus and serena entered their peaks and started smashing everyone else into oblivion......
Hingis wasnt running anything after 1997. 1998 and 1999 Davenport was the true number 1 both years (even if on the computer only in 1998). 2000 and 2001 Hingis was nowhere near best player.
forehand27 is offline  
post #128 of 142 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2012, 07:15 PM
Senior Member
 
Start da Game's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,946
                     
Re: Which is Serena Williams's best season so far? 2002 or 2012?

Quote:
Originally Posted by forehand27 View Post
Hingis wasnt running anything after 1997. 1998 and 1999 Davenport was the true number 1 both years (even if on the computer only in 1998). 2000 and 2001 Hingis was nowhere near best player.
she just got shown her way out gradually by better players......davenport too benefited a little from the weak field but at least she scored some quality victories......
Start da Game is offline  
post #129 of 142 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2012, 07:39 PM
country flag RVD
Senior Member
 
RVD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 32,054
                     
Re: Which is Serena Williams's best season so far? 2002 or 2012?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt01 View Post
LOL...Davenport was injured in 2002 and only played a few tournaments.
Henin and Clijsters in 2002 were nowhere near the level Azarenka or Pova are in 2012 and Venus was always Serena's underling in Slam finals. In fact, one could argue that the competition in 2012 was stronger than it was in 2002 which is also why Serena didn't even get close to the #1 ranking in 2012 (unlike 2002).

Of course achievement-wise (unlike what RVD claims ), 2002 was a much better year for Serena since she won more Slams, was more dominant overall and was #1 for the most part of the year.
Just your opinion alone doesn't make the argument convincing Matt. In fact, you've added nothing to the debate at all here. So why bring up my name as if you've stumbled upon some astounding revelation?
Just for once while discussing Serena...why not check your personal hatred at the door?

Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery. - Malcolm X
A man who stands for nothing will fall for anything. - Malcolm X
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Confucius
The greatest scholars are not usually the wisest people. - Geoffrey Chaucer

Last edited by RVD; Nov 15th, 2012 at 07:46 PM.
RVD is offline  
post #130 of 142 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2012, 07:42 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 44,592
                     
Re: Which is Serena Williams's best season so far? 2002 or 2012?

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomsday View Post
3-6 is quite bad but only Miami really bothers me though, the others she had zero chance with the way she was playing and of course because of the opponent as well.
I see..okay, still feel that if Serena had done a better job at the Oz and Miami and RG specially, she'd be no.1

Always bet on black!
Can you handle the truth?
The truth:
Serena Williams: Greatest African-American tennisplayer in history
21 majors:6366


Official Prince of the Royal Court
bandabou is online now  
post #131 of 142 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2012, 08:17 PM
Senior Member
 
Matt01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 16,085
                     
Re: Which is Serena Williams's best season so far? 2002 or 2012?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD View Post
Just your opinion alone doesn't make the argument convincing Matt. In fact, you've added nothing to the debate at all here. So why bring up my name as if you've stumbled upon some astounding revelation?
Just for once while discussing Serena...why not check your personal hatred at the door?

Why do YOU not check your personal delusional fandom first?
Even your fellow Serena fans disagree with you about 2012 being a better season for Serena, and the arguments I provided for my opinion you probably didn't even read. So instead of singing your old song about my "hatred" for Serena, why not use your brain for once and come up with some reasonable arguments for a change?

Azarenka - Pennetta - Hantuchova - Ivanovic - Wozniacki - Stephens - Stosur
Matt01 is offline  
post #132 of 142 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2012, 09:02 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 416
                     
Re: Which is Serena Williams's best season so far? 2002 or 2012?

In no sense was Serena's 2012 better than 2002 except for the fact 2012 it was probably the best season ever by a 30 year old women, and the best season ever by a women who hadnt been able to play a relatively full season in 3 years, while 2002 it wasnt the best season ever in any sense except arguably sheer level of play or most dominance vs an actual real field (vs what Navratilova and Graf faced in their most dominant years which was crap on a bun).
forehand27 is offline  
post #133 of 142 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2012, 10:44 PM
country flag RVD
Senior Member
 
RVD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 32,054
                     
Re: Which is Serena Williams's best season so far? 2002 or 2012?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt01 View Post
Why do YOU not check your personal delusional fandom first?
Even your fellow Serena fans disagree with you about 2012 being a better season for Serena, and the arguments I provided for my opinion you probably didn't even read. So instead of singing your old song about my "hatred" for Serena, why not use your brain for once and come up with some reasonable arguments for a change?
Simply because my arguments aren't delusions Matt.
With you it's always the same perfectionist requirements when you discuss Serena. Why is that?

Yes, some of my fellow Serena fans have in fact disagreed with me in this thread, and some have agreed with me as well. I read your posts. What's your point?
There is still no revelation expressed here from you Matt. You parrotted what posters have already said.
And you didn't answer the question as to why you brought ONLY my name up when a few other posters shared in my argument.
So again, what point were you trying to make in bringing up my name Matt?

Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery. - Malcolm X
A man who stands for nothing will fall for anything. - Malcolm X
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Confucius
The greatest scholars are not usually the wisest people. - Geoffrey Chaucer

Last edited by RVD; Nov 15th, 2012 at 11:06 PM.
RVD is offline  
post #134 of 142 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 2012, 11:24 AM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Chrissie-fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 13,736
                     
Re: Which is Serena Williams's best season so far? 2002 or 2012?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Start da Game View Post
she just got shown her way out gradually by better players......davenport too benefited a little from the weak field but at least she scored some quality victories......
Well, according to TF logic every past great benefited from a weak field. But the era of our fave is always much tougher than the previous or later one(s) so that it makes our fave look even better.

Chrissie-fan is online now  
post #135 of 142 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 2012, 11:45 AM
Rena's Army
 
BuTtErFrEnA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: "The Terror of Veerror"
Posts: 34,492
                     
Re: Which is Serena Williams's best season so far? 2002 or 2012?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
Well, according to TF logic every past great benefited from a weak field. But the era of our fave is always much tougher than the previous or later one(s) so that it makes our fave look even better.
exactly

Raúl hasta siempre capitán ♥♥♥


I shall destroy the temple, and rebuild it in 3 days
BuTtErFrEnA is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome