OMG...Alex Stevenson is still playing? - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2012, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Snitch
 
Cam'ron Giles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Juelz Santana's bed
Posts: 16,093
                     
OMG...Alex Stevenson is still playing?

....and won a match in Japan today/yesterday?

Official Gangsta rappa of the Royal Court

Will you be there?
Cam'ron Giles is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2012, 07:58 PM
Senior Member
 
coolfish1103's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 13,128
                     
Re: OMG...Alex Stevenson is still playing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam'ron Giles View Post
....and won a match in Japan today/yesterday?
At the 125k CH in Taiwan, not Japan.

So what happens when a friend or partner holds a different opinion against your favorite?
- Agree to disagree, don't hold grudges for someone else

Historic #1: FITD S / Tipping S&D / Tennis Tipping D
coolfish1103 is offline  
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 2012, 05:51 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 416
                     
Re: OMG...Alex Stevenson is still playing?

She was a very talented player. I think her homophobic attitude of her and her mom was part of what held her back.
forehand27 is offline  
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 2012, 07:16 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 758
                     
Re: OMG...Alex Stevenson is still playing?

I wouldn't say "very" talented. She had a great serve but the rest of her game was undeveloped and she was crap off grass and indoors.
ToopsTame is offline  
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 2012, 09:48 AM
Senior Member
 
Saraya!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 45,074
                     
Re: OMG...Alex Stevenson is still playing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToopsTame View Post
I wouldn't say "very" talented. She had a great serve but the rest of her game was undeveloped and she was crap off grass and indoors.
Her Ranking for years now horrible..only good serve...and her behavin..my god, don´t miss her.
Saraya! is online now  
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 2012, 02:40 PM
country flag jrm
Senior Member
 
jrm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Velenje
Posts: 36,265
                     
Re: OMG...Alex Stevenson is still playing?

Is wicked witch of West (her mom) still travelling with her?

Äre 2007 Downhill and GS GOLD: Aksel LUND SVINDAL (NOR) WC overall champion for 2006/07 and 2008/09; winner of 2 crystal globes in GS and SC
Val d’Isère 2009 SC GOLD and Super-G BRONZE
Vancouver 2010: Super-G GOLD, downhill SILVER, GS bronze
Current crushes: Johannes STRATE Tom BATEMAN Éric BRUNEAU Greyston HOLT David MIESMER Raphaël LENGLET Tom LEEB
jrm is online now  
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 2012, 02:45 PM
Team WTAworld
Senior Member
 
Meelis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 73,780
                     
Re: OMG...Alex Stevenson is still playing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm View Post
Is wicked witch of West (her mom) still travelling with her?
Of course.
Meelis is offline  
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 2012, 08:40 PM
Rest in peace Bally
 
Juju Nostalgique's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Admiring Kimiko
Posts: 12,831
                     
Re: OMG...Alex Stevenson is still playing?

Sad to see a woman still thinking she's gonna make anything at her age and sucky results...

Congrats Serene Rose Zhang for an eviscerating AO!!!
Paula Badosa & SaiSai Zheng & Garbiñe Muguruza & Kimiko Date & Varvara Lepchenko
Qristina Wang & Genie Bouchard & Sam Crawford & Nettu Kontaveit & Naomi Osaka
Jamie Hampton
All-Time Favourites ~ Monica Seles & Justine Henin & Núria Llagostera & Li Na
Juju Nostalgique is offline  
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 2012, 10:26 PM
Senior Member
 
suckulentaces96's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 14,793
                     
Re: OMG...Alex Stevenson is still playing?

You go gurrrl
suckulentaces96 is offline  
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 2012, 11:01 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,942
                     
Re: OMG...Alex Stevenson is still playing?

Where did she get the money?
Halepsova is offline  
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 2012, 01:39 AM
Senior Member
 
Sally Todd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,362
                     
Re: OMG...Alex Stevenson is still playing?

She almost beat Kimiko a few weeks ago.
Sally Todd is offline  
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 2012, 01:48 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 416
                     
Re: OMG...Alex Stevenson is still playing?

What I wonder is how she even affords to travel and make a living on tour anymore. One thing I also remember is back in 2000 Stevenson also called Venus and Serena her good friends, was that ever true though? I wonder if they are if they ever still talk to her and offer her advice or encouragement.
forehand27 is offline  
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 2012, 08:42 AM
Senior Member
 
mikireturns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,353
                     
Re: OMG...Alex Stevenson is still playing?

A sad strange tale in many ways. She had that fluke Wimbledon in 1999 and then only won 4 more MD Grand Slam matches in 12 additional years of playing.

Her 2002 season was not a fluke -- she finished the year in the Top 20 and appeared poised for true success, but she was already coming undone after that season.

Most journalists point to WAY too much interference by The Mother, and that makes sense. But AS has long been an adult and could have taken charge of her career for the better. Instead, the two of them see to have developed a very strange relationship and nothing has paid off for AS. It's very nice to say, "She deserves to play as long as she wants!" but that thinking really masks a lot of grim realities.

Namely, she is 32, finished this year ranked 477 (after a very expensive tour through Asia and Oz, where she came back ranked LOWER than when she left!) and her earnings for the entire year (22 events played!) was $9,500 US (before taxes). That equals roughly $430 per event. Gas, planes, hotels, food, and basic survival do not leave room for such poor performances. If anyone is investing $$$ in her ... Maybe she is a write-off for someone. Most baffling of all is: she has never gotten physically fit to be at world-class level. If she were super-fit and pursuing the delusion, it would make a little more sense. But it makes no sense. Imagine how awful it is to lose constantly in those fly-by-night events. Damaging to her psyche. Tennis is not fun when you lose constantly for a month. She's had 9 years of nothing but loss after loss.

Either way, real life comes calling for athletes. Most see the writing on the wall and, given 7 years of AS's dismal results, would have switched to a different plan or career long ago. Worse, the two (mother and daughter) have burned so many bridges on the tour that it will be almost impossible for AS to find a tour-related career.

Sad. It's tempting to make fun, but the case is tragic. There appears to be no grasp of reality there. She should be at least 5 years into a different (viable) career by now. Not easy for a woman approaching middle-age to find a job in the real world when she has never had one before.

I do wish her the best. The "wake-up call" (when and if she ever gets it) is not gonna be pretty. Hope she goes back to school while there's still time. The "hour" is way past late for her.
mikireturns is offline  
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 2012, 08:49 AM
悠久のPEGASUS
 
TIEFSEE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toxic Vibration
Posts: 92,634
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikireturns View Post
A sad strange tale in many ways. She had that fluke Wimbledon in 1999 and then only won 4 more MD Grand Slam matches in 12 additional years of playing.

Her 2002 season was not a fluke -- she finished the year in the Top 20 and appeared poised for true success, but she was already coming undone after that season.

Most journalists point to WAY too much interference by The Mother, and that makes sense. But AS has long been an adult and could have taken charge of her career for the better. Instead, the two of them see to have developed a very strange relationship and nothing has paid off for AS. It's very nice to say, "She deserves to play as long as she wants!" but that thinking really masks a lot of grim realities.

Namely, she is 32, finished this year ranked 477 (after a very expensive tour through Asia and Oz, where she came back ranked LOWER than when she left!) and her earnings for the entire year (22 events played!) was $9,500 US (before taxes). That equals roughly $430 per event. Gas, planes, hotels, food, and basic survival do not leave room for such poor performances. If anyone is investing $$$ in her ... Maybe she is a write-off for someone. Most baffling of all is: she has never gotten physically fit to be at world-class level. If she were super-fit and pursuing the delusion, it would make a little more sense. But it makes no sense. Imagine how awful it is to lose constantly in those fly-by-night events. Damaging to her psyche. Tennis is not fun when you lose constantly for a month. She's had 9 years of nothing but loss after loss.

Either way, real life comes calling for athletes. Most see the writing on the wall and, given 7 years of AS's dismal results, would have switched to a different plan or career long ago. Worse, the two (mother and daughter) have burned so many bridges on the tour that it will be almost impossible for AS to find a tour-related career.

Sad. It's tempting to make fun, but the case is tragic. There appears to be no grasp of reality there. She should be at least 5 years into a different (viable) career by now. Not easy for a woman approaching middle-age to find a job in the real world when she has never had one before.

I do wish her the best. The "wake-up call" (when and if she ever gets it) is not gonna be pretty. Hope she goes back to school while there's still time. The "hour" is way past late for her.

Tennis Tipping:
Singles (CHR#17) - Copenhagen 10 Beijing 11 Pattaya 12
Doubles (CHR#10) - Cincinnati 09 Hobart 16(w/Drake1980) ; Auckland Copenhagen 10 Palermo 11 Stuttgart Baku 12 Palermo 13 (w/Richie's) ; Monterrey 14 (w/Adrian.) USO 14 Moscow Hong Kong New Haven 15(w/Frederik)
TIEFSEE is offline  
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 2012, 09:42 AM
Senior Member
 
NashaMasha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 11,563
                     
Re: OMG...Alex Stevenson is still playing?

it looks like this career in boxing

http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?hum...4788&cat=boxer

Maria Sharapova
Career Grand Slam Winner
Wimbledon 2004 ~ US Open 2006 ~ Australian Open 2008 ~ French Open 2012 and 2014

WTA Championships 2004
London Olympics silver medallist

35 WTA titles , including 14 Tier I titles
21 weeks #1 player
NashaMasha is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome