Who is better: Mauresmo or Sabatini? - Page 2 - TennisForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 63 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2012, 09:10 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 17,677
                     
Re: Who is better: Mauresmo or Sabatini?

Not Bagelie. '06 was a year from an alternate dimension TBH.
Smitten is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 63 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2012, 09:14 PM
Senior Member
 
Matt01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 16,085
                     
Re: Who is better: Mauresmo or Sabatini?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitten View Post
Not Bagelie. '06 was a year from an alternate dimension TBH.

Wasn't that the year when Legend got spanked by Momo?

Azarenka - Pennetta - Hantuchova - Ivanovic - Wozniacki - Stephens - Stosur
Matt01 is offline  
post #18 of 63 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2012, 09:18 PM
Senior Member
 
TheBoiledEgg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: in Cloud Cuckoo Land
Posts: 180,045
                     
Re: Who is better: Mauresmo or Sabatini?

Sabatini by a long way.

Good luck in 2016 to my favs

AZARENKA

*Kuznetsova*Sharapova*Kleybanova*Vesnina*Shvedova*Kulichkova*Kasatkina*
Pavlyuchenkova*Makarova*Diatchenko*Pivovarova*Gasparyan*Leykina*Zhuk*Potapova*Pervushina**Govortsova
MINELLA TsurenkoAlize Lim*El Tabakh*Robson*Cirstea
*Juhaszova*Zanevska*Broady*Bouchard*
Cetkovska*Svitolina*
*Bellis*Soylu*Sibille*Uberalova*Eden Silva*
http://www.twitter.com/TheBoiledEgg
TheBoiledEgg is offline  
post #19 of 63 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2012, 09:24 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 17,677
                     
Re: Who is better: Mauresmo or Sabatini?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt01 View Post
Wasn't that the year when Legend got spanked by Momo?
Yep, both times from a set up.
Smitten is offline  
post #20 of 63 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2012, 10:28 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 75
                     
Re: Who is better: Mauresmo or Sabatini?

Game wise here is how I would compare them.

Forehand- Sabatini (no contest IMO)

Backhand- Sabatini by a bit. Both ladies had great backhands, probably their best shot. I just think Gaby's backhand down the line was so deady and did more damage than any of Mauresmo's backhands.

Serve- Mauresmo. Again not even close.

Return- Sabatini. Never felt this was a strength for Mauresmo.

Net game- Even. Cant really choose here. However Mauresmo seemed more willing to use her net game than Sabatini outside of 90-93 was willing to.

Movement- Even. Dont really see a difference either way here either. Both were very good movers, but neither was a Graf, Williams, Henin, Clijsters, or even Hingis. I think Mauresmo was a bit faster but Sabatini made up for that with superior anticipation and a really long reach.

So really game wise they were fairly evenly matched, probably with Sabatini being just a bit stronger. I think mentally Sabatini was on a whole other level though. Even though she herself was a bit of a choker, Mauresmo is closer to on par with Jana Novotna mentally. Sabatini was atleast not submissive to the best players of her era or players she didnt do that well against the way Mauresmo is to Serena, Venus, or Davenport, even blowing matches vs them when they dont play that well.
SelesGOAT is offline  
post #21 of 63 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2012, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
hingisGOAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,922
                     
Re: Who is better: Mauresmo or Sabatini?

Oh I forgot about Mauresmo's return game. Everything was chipped back. She really struggled to attack a weak serve.

"It’s always been, ‘I wonder what she’s got, Sharapova?’, because I don’t see that she’s got something that special… Or do you know? Can you tell? What’s so exceptional about her?”

-- Legend, shortly before crushing Vulturepova
hingisGOAT is offline  
post #22 of 63 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2012, 10:53 PM
Senior Member
 
jimskeuh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 139
 
Re: Who is better: Mauresmo or Sabatini?

Mauresmo
jimskeuh is offline  
post #23 of 63 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2012, 10:53 PM
Senior Member
 
hablo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: canada
Posts: 49,452
                     
Re: Who is better: Mauresmo or Sabatini?

Momo

Quote:
19. In the period from January to April 2006 Dr. Skalny sent very detailed messages to Ms Sharapova [...]: “Mildronate 1-2 X 10, repeat in 2 wks (before training or competition)”; “1 hr before competition, 2 pills of Mildronate”; “During games of special importance, you can increase your Mildronate dose to 3-4 pills (1 hr before the match). However, it is necessary to consult me on all these matters (please call)”; “30 minutes prior to a training session: Mildronat – 1 Capsule. 30-45 minutes prior to a tournament Mildronat 2 capsules”.
hablo is offline  
post #24 of 63 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2012, 11:19 PM
Senior Member
 
mauresmofan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Ireland
Posts: 11,988
                     
Re: Who is better: Mauresmo or Sabatini?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrust View Post
Very close, but I give the slight advantage to Sabatini. Amelie was very lucky to win the AO in that either one or two players retired and Justine was very off form in the final. Amelie was never that good to beat Justine so easily if Justine was at her near best. Gaby did play in a very tough era and was unlucky not to beat Graf in that Wimbledon final, which devastated me almost as it probably did Gaby-LOL!! I loved both their games but liked Gaby more as a person, and especially, her looks.
So Amelie was lucky because she made Justine play badly and completely outplayed her everywhere on the court using brilliant strategy and the rebound ace surface that she knew would aid her game to damage Justines whereas Gabi was unlucky because Graf beat her and she couldn't keep her nerve when it mattered. In fact if you do any research Amelie never ever lost to Justine in a Slam and for someone who's renouned as such a mentally frail player vs someone who's renouned as such a tough match player mentally that should tell you all you need to know about where that Aussi Open title was destined to go regardless. Yes she got 3 retirements in that Slam but was it her fault that she was in absolute tip top shape and after coming off the biggest title she'd ever won so also mentally in tip top shape. She was also leading in EVERY match that Michaella, Kim and Justine retired against her.

I think it's an absolute nonsense that people here claim that if so and so was out of the game or if so and so wasn't playing at their absolute best then it somehow diminishes their achievements. The game moves on regardless. It's not like Amelie didn't have her fair share of injuries at Grand Slams which took her out of the equation too.

As for Gabi she was a great player and tough match up for Graf but nearly always when push came to shove she couldn't hack it. She had beaten Graf several times in 91 and yet on the biggest stage she once again let it slip through her fingers.

RIP Elena Baltacha, thank you for dedicating your life to a sport we all love. You'll be missed but never forgotten.
mauresmofan is offline  
post #25 of 63 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2012, 11:23 PM
Senior Member
 
mauresmofan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Ireland
Posts: 11,988
                     
Re: Who is better: Mauresmo or Sabatini?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelesGOAT View Post
Game wise here is how I would compare them.

Forehand- Sabatini (no contest IMO)

Backhand- Sabatini by a bit. Both ladies had great backhands, probably their best shot. I just think Gaby's backhand down the line was so deady and did more damage than any of Mauresmo's backhands.

Serve- Mauresmo. Again not even close.

Return- Sabatini. Never felt this was a strength for Mauresmo.

Net game- Even. Cant really choose here. However Mauresmo seemed more willing to use her net game than Sabatini outside of 90-93 was willing to.

Movement- Even. Dont really see a difference either way here either. Both were very good movers, but neither was a Graf, Williams, Henin, Clijsters, or even Hingis. I think Mauresmo was a bit faster but Sabatini made up for that with superior anticipation and a really long reach.

So really game wise they were fairly evenly matched, probably with Sabatini being just a bit stronger. I think mentally Sabatini was on a whole other level though. Even though she herself was a bit of a choker, Mauresmo is closer to on par with Jana Novotna mentally. Sabatini was atleast not submissive to the best players of her era or players she didnt do that well against the way Mauresmo is to Serena, Venus, or Davenport, even blowing matches vs them when they dont play that well.
Ah what?

Gabriela Sabatini vs. Mary Joe Fernandez – 1993 French Open quarter-final.
Sabatini had one foot in the semi-final – she was leading 6-1 5-1 - when she got the ‘yips’ on serve and the double-faults flowed. Sabatini’s five match points came and went and Fernandez won a third set 10-8. This wasn’t the first time Sabatini had choked on the big stage. She previously lost the 1991 Wimbledon final to Steffi Graf having served for the title. Twice.
Result: Fernandez d. Sabatini 1-6, 7-5, 10-8.
Find me anything that Mauresmo did that's on par with that CHOKE!

RIP Elena Baltacha, thank you for dedicating your life to a sport we all love. You'll be missed but never forgotten.
mauresmofan is offline  
post #26 of 63 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2012, 11:32 PM
Senior Member
 
spiceboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 50,819
                     
Re: Who is better: Mauresmo or Sabatini?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauresmofan View Post
Ah what?

Gabriela Sabatini vs. Mary Joe Fernandez – 1993 French Open quarter-final.
Sabatini had one foot in the semi-final – she was leading 6-1 5-1 - when she got the ‘yips’ on serve and the double-faults flowed. Sabatini’s five match points came and went and Fernandez won a third set 10-8. This wasn’t the first time Sabatini had choked on the big stage. She previously lost the 1991 Wimbledon final to Steffi Graf having served for the title. Twice.
Result: Fernandez d. Sabatini 1-6, 7-5, 10-8.
Find me anything that Mauresmo did that's on par with that CHOKE!
French Open 2005? Of course she did not have that kind of lead but losing to a 17 year old she had beaten three times already that year? Only Mauresmo at Roland Garros

And the way she did that was particularly pathetic...Serving at 4-5 in the third, Mauresmo immediately went down 0-40 and capped the occasion with a double fault on match point At least Sabatini fought until 10/8 in the third, she didn't throw the match like the French did in front of her home crowd.

But I, being poor, have only my dreams
I have spread my dreams under your feet
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams
spiceboy is offline  
post #27 of 63 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2012, 11:51 PM
Senior Member
 
mauresmofan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Ireland
Posts: 11,988
                     
Re: Who is better: Mauresmo or Sabatini?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiceboy View Post
French Open 2005? Of course she did not have that kind of lead but losing to a 17 year old she had beaten three times already that year? Only Mauresmo at Roland Garros

And the way she did that was particularly pathetic...Serving at 4-5 in the third, Mauresmo immediately went down 0-40 and capped the occasion with a double fault on match point At least Sabatini fought until 10/8 in the third, she didn't throw the match like the French did in front of her home crowd.
Mauresmo was god awful at the French and a total nervous wreck but nothing she ever did on the tennis court is anywhere near that CHOKE Sabatini did against Mary Jo - it was EPIC. She completely capitulated when she had the match all but won then proves that she could have easily won another game by making the 3rd set close so that tells you even more what a mental disaster she had that day. Yes Mauresmo fell apart late on in the match but that was always the case with her at the French she couldn't handle the pressure there.

RIP Elena Baltacha, thank you for dedicating your life to a sport we all love. You'll be missed but never forgotten.
mauresmofan is offline  
post #28 of 63 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 2012, 12:23 AM
Senior Member
 
spiceboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 50,819
                     
Re: Who is better: Mauresmo or Sabatini?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauresmofan View Post
Yes Mauresmo fell apart late on in the match but that was always the case with her at the French she couldn't handle the pressure there.
So we kinda agree on this. It is way worse to have a mental block with a specific tournament year after year than having a particular massive choke at that same tournament.

But I, being poor, have only my dreams
I have spread my dreams under your feet
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams
spiceboy is offline  
post #29 of 63 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 2012, 12:27 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 76
                     
Re: Who is better: Mauresmo or Sabatini?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightWarrior View Post
Momo has 2 slams, Sabatini just one...
Not just that,Mauresmo was number 1,Sabatini never,although I like Gabi more!
kosas is offline  
post #30 of 63 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 2012, 12:53 AM
Senior Member
 
mauresmofan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Ireland
Posts: 11,988
                     
Re: Who is better: Mauresmo or Sabatini?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiceboy View Post
So we kinda agree on this. It is way worse to have a mental block with a specific tournament year after year than having a particular massive choke at that same tournament.
I think the word choke is overly used on this forum but what Gabi and Novotna did were chokes (match completely sewn up and they somehow managed to lose it) Amelie did end up with 2 Slams so she did something right but the French Open was always a nightmare for her then 2 weeks later she generally always had a stellar showing at Wimbledon. Very very similar games and I liked Gabi a lot there was a fragility about her that made her a crowd favourite - similar to Amelie. They were all court players who mastered the art of spin but ended up with fewer slams than their natural talent should have allowed them to achieve. I can't remember there being 2 more similar players from different generations than these 2, shame there wasn't a 3rd from this generation.

RIP Elena Baltacha, thank you for dedicating your life to a sport we all love. You'll be missed but never forgotten.
mauresmofan is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome