Stacey Allaster: "We believe our athletes are playing for their country every day" - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
View Poll Results: Do you agree with Stacey Allaster?
Yes 16 34.04%
No 31 65.96%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 09:01 PM
Senior Member
 
Simugna Help's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 10,669
                     
Re: Stacey Allaster: "We believe our athletes are playing for their country every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by pov View Post
In fact it is the assertion that they do that is ridiculous. And obviously so. Is the country footing the bill for them? No. Are they there because their countries requested them to be? No. Do the players themselves see it as representing their countries? No. Are golfers representing their countries in PGA events?
It's like saying that Hollywood movies don't represent American culture worldwide, they only try to make money.

The same way an athlete represents his country whenever s/he competes in an international event.
Simugna Help is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 09:11 PM
Senior Member
 
Vincey!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Everywhere,SinceHeninRet.
Posts: 17,125
                     
Re: Stacey Allaster: "We believe our athletes are playing for their country every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by aselto View Post
It's like saying that Hollywood movies don't represent American culture worldwide, they only try to make money.

The same way an athlete represents his country whenever s/he competes in an international event.
Hollywood movies DON'T represent american culture at all. Out of EVERY movie industry, hollywood is the number one looking for the profit before anything else. Smaller countries and more independent movies may take more pride coming from a certain country but if there's one industry that only promote their personal interest it is definitely the movie/music and everything linked to art. That's why some are so controversial. Also what would give the "nationality" to a movie? lol his realisator or producer nationality? The country where it has been filmed? The average nationality of the actors that are playing in it? The home of the studios? I mean you remember much more the name of the actors and realisator then the country of the movie.

Wozniak~ElTabakh ~Marino~Eugenie Bouchard...and the other Canucks!
Maria Sharapova~Anna Chakvetadze~Jelena Dokic~Laura Robson ~Sabine Lisicki


"You're wasting your time,Go home and have a beer!" - Maria Sharapova-
Vincey! is online now  
post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 09:21 PM
NeverWoz
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 26,786
                     
Re: Stacey Allaster: "We believe our athletes are playing for their country every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by pov View Post
In fact it is the assertion that they do that is ridiculous. And obviously so. Is the country footing the bill for them? No. Are they there because their countries requested them to be? No. Do the players themselves see it as representing their countries? No. Are golfers representing their countries in PGA events?


You never hear of countries national tennis associations paying for coaching, training locations, and being of constant support to players? Maybe not the elite, but a TON of players receive substantial funding from their country/national tennis association.
Ryan is offline  
post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 09:23 PM
Senior Member
 
Simugna Help's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 10,669
                     
Re: Stacey Allaster: "We believe our athletes are playing for their country every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincey! View Post
Hollywood movies DON'T represent american culture at all. Out of EVERY movie industry, hollywood is the number one looking for the profit before anything else. Smaller countries and more independent movies may take more pride coming from a certain country but if there's one industry that only promote their personal interest it is definitely the movie/music and everything linked to art. That's why some are so controversial. Also what would give the "nationality" to a movie? lol his realisator or producer nationality? The country where it has been filmed? The average nationality of the actors that are playing in it? The home of the studios? I mean you remember much more the name of the actors and realisator then the country of the movie.
Hollywood movies do represent American culture, because they're cultural products from America that are popular both in America and elsewhere, ie. people do watch them in their free time. They might not be art, but they're definitely part of the culture.

And yes, I often find myself checking where the movie was made, or sometimes deliberately look for movies from a specific country to find out something about it, something I can't learn from a wikipedia entry.
Simugna Help is offline  
post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 09:23 PM
PharMaria Co. CFO
 
tejmeglekvár's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 13,784
                     
Re: Stacey Allaster: "We believe our athletes are playing for their country every day

useless arguing who represents what. Different for every people.

Point is, as Allaster said "Compared to other professional sports, athletes at the caliber of ours in tennis do not have the same eligibility requirements with their national associations or their international federations. We think that is unfair."

In other sports athletes need actual good results to qualify for Olympics.
But the FED Cup results are unimportant, even ITF doesnt care if players win or lose. But still want to force players to participate.
It is mindblowingly stupid because the actual qualification depends on WTA ranking points.

The Queen of Screams
tejmeglekvár is offline  
post #21 of 44 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 09:35 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 27,578
                     
Re: Stacey Allaster: "We believe our athletes are playing for their country every day

I just don´t give a s*** about Fed-Cup. What competition of nations is played out over a year? None. Because nobody would give a s***, if you played the group stages of the World Cup in January, and a knockout stage round every two months thereafter. I say this every time the topic comes up. Just change the format. Play 32 nations in one big Fed Cup event every two years at the end of the season. Every Fed-Cup team has four players and each player has to play at least once. No further restrictions. Every tie features three singles and two doubles matches. Three points win. Instead of regular sets you play match tiebreak sets. That way you can finish a full Fed-Cup tie in one day easily and the whole event in two weeks. Lots of drama, lots of action, more doubles, more team strategy setting your line-ups, less physically demanding to the players.

- Caroline Wozniacki has never beaten a reigning world #1.
- Caroline Wozniacki has never beaten a top 5 player at a major.
- Caroline Wozniacki has not beaten a top 3 player en route to any of her 24 titles.
- Caroline Wozniacki has beaten three top 5 players en route to her 24 titles (#4 Radwanska, #4 Zvonareva and #5 Schiavone)

This update was pigeonpowered by Aga Radwanska and fake MTO.
Patrick345 is offline  
post #22 of 44 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 09:40 PM
Senior Member
 
tennis-insomniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,914
                     
Re: Stacey Allaster: "We believe our athletes are playing for their country every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
You never hear of countries national tennis associations paying for coaching, training locations, and being of constant support to players? Maybe not the elite, but a TON of players receive substantial funding from their country/national tennis association.
True, in Thailand especially, we are very proud of our players and they're often funded by the Thai tennis Association. I like the idea of having fed cup as a tournament that would be fun, I would love to participate if I were a tennis player.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

-"Still On The Road"
tennis-insomniac is offline  
post #23 of 44 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
NashaMasha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 11,641
                     
Re: Stacey Allaster: "We believe our athletes are playing for their country every day

Quote:
In fact it is the assertion that they do that is ridiculous. And obviously so. Is the country footing the bill for them? No. Are they there because their countries requested them to be? No. Do the players themselves see it as representing their countries? No. Are golfers representing their countries in PGA events?
it seems to me that full Britain was rooting for Murray and hoping that he could won US Open , because he was definitely representing Britain as tennis nation and not only himself.

Maria Sharapova
Career Grand Slam Winner
Wimbledon 2004 ~ US Open 2006 ~ Australian Open 2008 ~ French Open 2012 and 2014

WTA Championships 2004
London Olympics silver medallist

35 WTA titles , including 14 Tier I titles
21 weeks #1 player
NashaMasha is offline  
post #24 of 44 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 10:09 PM
👑
 
Northstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 37,651
                     
Re: Stacey Allaster: "We believe our athletes are playing for their country every day

Fed Cup is the only time some players get to play in their own countries. Making it into yet another super tournament would mean some countries never get see their own players, like Serbia, Slovakia, Belarus etc. I know Im the only one who likes Fed Cup the way it is now, its a nice change to see the players in a different format two times a year and getting excited playing for something other than just money. Most of the Premier tournament matches like the one in China now are just dull, couldnt give a toss who wins and the players look bored.
Northstar is offline  
post #25 of 44 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 10:16 PM
Senior Member
 
Vincey!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Everywhere,SinceHeninRet.
Posts: 17,125
                     
Re: Stacey Allaster: "We believe our athletes are playing for their country every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by aselto View Post
Hollywood movies do represent American culture, because they're cultural products from America that are popular both in America and elsewhere, ie. people do watch them in their free time. They might not be art, but they're definitely part of the culture.

And yes, I often find myself checking where the movie was made, or sometimes deliberately look for movies from a specific country to find out something about it, something I can't learn from a wikipedia entry.
Depends if you're talking about HOLLYWOOD movies or independent movies. Anyway movies are made to showcase the talent of an actor, writer, Producer, realisater etc ... way before representing a country. I think you confuse the fans perspective with the film making production. I mean yes for a fan the nationality might be a reason to follow, watch and look for a player/movie/music etc... BUT the other way is not really true. A player or a movie producer is not making his work to showcase and represent a country unless it's in a geographical or international competition. I'm talking about Professionals who make their living with that of course. NOt talking about amateurs. Anyway this doesn't mean that a player or anybody else is not proud to see their country flag when they achieve something big. it's just not their purpose.

Wozniak~ElTabakh ~Marino~Eugenie Bouchard...and the other Canucks!
Maria Sharapova~Anna Chakvetadze~Jelena Dokic~Laura Robson ~Sabine Lisicki


"You're wasting your time,Go home and have a beer!" - Maria Sharapova-
Vincey! is online now  
post #26 of 44 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 10:53 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 8,542
                     
Re: Stacey Allaster: "We believe our athletes are playing for their country every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melange View Post
Fed Cup is the only time some players get to play in their own countries. Making it into yet another super tournament would mean some countries never get see their own players, like Serbia, Slovakia, Belarus etc. I know Im the only one who likes Fed Cup the way it is now, its a nice change to see the players in a different format two times a year and getting excited playing for something other than just money. Most of the Premier tournament matches like the one in China now are just dull, couldnt give a toss who wins and the players look bored.
Good points. Not to mention that almost everyone here was excited about the recent FedCup thread which was packed with the pictures of players, venues, special outifts or even earrings worn by players, etc.

FedCup is a pleasant change.
Petronius is offline  
post #27 of 44 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 11:03 PM
*Sesil*
 
KournikovaFan91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Éire
Posts: 19,754
                     
Re: Stacey Allaster: "We believe our athletes are playing for their country every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejmeglekvár View Post
In other sports athletes need actual good results to qualify for Olympics.
But the FED Cup results are unimportant, even ITF doesnt care if players win or lose. But still want to force players to participate.
It is mindblowingly stupid because the actual qualification depends on WTA ranking points.
No its just to prove you've actually shown some commitment to someone other than yourself. The Olympics as a whole is about a massive national team and the ITF are right to demand a player has shown commitment to their tennis team.
KournikovaFan91 is offline  
post #28 of 44 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 11:43 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,595
                     
Re: Stacey Allaster: "We believe our athletes are playing for their country every day

Fed Cup only changed in the 90's because they wanted a similar set-up to Davis Cup and to give it more exposure. They have tinkered with the schedule numerous times since then but I just don't think the interest is there.

I would love to the WTA to put tournaments in Fed Cup weeks but they won't.
babsi is offline  
post #29 of 44 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2012, 12:24 AM
Senior Member
 
LightWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,548
                     
Re: Stacey Allaster: "We believe our athletes are playing for their country every day

That's all she can come up with for the future ? She's so lame.
LightWarrior is offline  
post #30 of 44 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2012, 02:43 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 10,655
                     
Re: Stacey Allaster: "We believe our athletes are playing for their country every day

How on earth did this thread sidetrack into a discussion about Hollywood movies? Only on TF...

Anyway, the bit about players representing their countries every day is a load of bollocks. That's one thing I like about tennis - I don't feel entitled to support a player just because of their nationality (although being British, the media makes that pretty difficult at times).

The idea about turning the Fed Cup into a one-two week event is a good one, even if it is a bit impractical. I'm not sure how the whole thing would work when it comes down to all the ties outside of the World Group.
Mary Cherry. is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome