Serena's 2013 Clay Court Strategy - Page 9 - TennisForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #121 of 368 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 2012, 08:16 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,035
                     
Re: Serena's 2013 Clay Court Strategy

Quote:
Originally Posted by acetoace View Post
[/B]



Good....... exactly why what u said isn't valid. Your statement represents an opinion and yours only. IT DOES NOT REPRESENT ANY FACT THAT SERENA WILIIAMS WILL NOT WIN FO AGAIN!!!

Particularly upon pova winning FO. If pova of all players won FO, Serena can and will. Pova just did what Serena has done in the past. Nothing new! 2012 FO is now in the past for pova. Like Serena in her time, no guarantee pova will repeat in 2013.

Serena's chances next year is as great as pova's no matter what haters say. Bring on the FO in 2013.....
LOL at that entire post, I had forgotten the delusion of the Williams sister posters on here.

Sharapova's clay record is far better than Serena's in the same time period. She's beaten nine Top 10 players, won five red clay titles, one which was the French. Her chances of winning it again are far greater than Serena's.
DevilishAttitude is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #122 of 368 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 2012, 08:22 PM
Senior Member
 
AcesHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 10,201
                     
Re: Serena's 2013 Clay Court Strategy

Quote:
Originally Posted by homogenius View Post
Too lazy to go into the details, but Aces is right on almost everything.Maria improved on the surface, and she has now decent movement on clay (in comparison with the begining of her career) but she didn't win the FO this year by playing like a claycourter.Pierce is a good example : just cause she used to hit the shit out of the ball doesn't mean that's how she played and won on clay.She was able to adapt her game to the surface, varying the effects of the ball, using dropshots when needed etc...Generally speaking, her movement was one of her weakness, but when she was healthy and fit, she moved beautifully on the surface, knowing what she was doing.That's one of the reason why she was successful on it, beat some great players at the FO and won it twice, while someone like Davenport for example never managed to do it.
Couldn't good rep you so have to say thanks. Appreciated coming from one of the posters I respect the most on here.

But seriously on the subject of the thread, if Serena is serious about winning the French, just play two red clay warmups and hope for the best. That's all she can really do at this point.

I always wanted to be somebody. If I made it, it's half because I was game enough to take a lot of punishment along the way and half because there were a lot of people who cared enough to help me.
-Althea Gibson


Quote:
Originally Posted by darrinbaker00 View Post
When will you learn that "pushers" never make it past the club level, let alone #1 on the WTA computer? Will it be too late?
AcesHigh is offline  
post #123 of 368 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 2012, 09:37 PM
-PREMIUM MEMBER-
 
Mahogany Pluto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Juraisei
Posts: 8,348
                     
Re: Serena's 2013 Clay Court Strategy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcesHigh View Post
Couldn't good rep you so have to say thanks. Appreciated coming from one of the posters I respect the most on here.

But seriously on the subject of the thread, if Serena is serious about winning the French, just play two red clay warmups and hope for the best. That's all she can really do at this point.
So she couldn't play well to win the tournament? She'd have to just hope to win?
Mahogany Pluto is offline  
post #124 of 368 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 2012, 11:20 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 5,613
                     
Re: Serena's 2013 Clay Court Strategy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcesHigh View Post
Couldn't good rep you so have to say thanks. Appreciated coming from one of the posters I respect the most on here.

But seriously on the subject of the thread, if Serena is serious about winning the French, just play two red clay warmups and hope for the best. That's all she can really do at this point.
This poster didn't even know how many FO Mary won. That tells me the relevance of the posters you respect.
TheDream is offline  
post #125 of 368 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2012, 03:21 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 17,677
                     
Re: Serena's 2013 Clay Court Strategy

Pierce and Sharapova play different on clay despite both being relatively slow and flat hitters.

Just watch Pierce's 2000 HLs run. The angles she kept burning Legend with and the way she could occasionally hit a loopier sort of moonball shot to break rhythm were good tools for her.
Smitten is offline  
post #126 of 368 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2012, 05:18 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 751
                     
Re: Serena's 2013 Clay Court Strategy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilishAttitude View Post
LOL at that entire post, I had forgotten the delusion of the Williams sister posters on here.

Sharapova's clay record is far better than Serena's in the same time period. She's beaten nine Top 10 players, won five red clay titles, one which was the French. Her chances of winning it again are far greater than Serena's.
It's strange - Maria has a better chance vs. the field(all players other than Serena) to win it,but yet she has negative chances in a match with Serena...
ziros is offline  
post #127 of 368 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2012, 10:51 AM
Senior Member
 
Mistress of Evil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 18,873
                     
Re: Serena's 2013 Clay Court Strategy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefyingGravity View Post
Even though Ana has an additional RG final, Berlin title, and RG QF to her name than Sharapova (Serena, btw, has reached the quarters in France in 2001, 2004, 2007, 2009, and 2010. She's not really a bad clay court player), she may not end up being the better clay courter in the end than Maria.
Erm, hello! Maria has 1 title, 2 SFs, 3 other QFs at the French. Plus 2 Rome titles, a Stuttgart one, Amelia Island and a MM title. She is already a way more accomplished player on clay than Ana. Not that this is of any significance but it was just weird seeing you use the word 'additional' and imply that Ivanovic is ahead of Sharapova results wise on clay, as she clearly isn't in fact she is quite behind!
Mistress of Evil is offline  
post #128 of 368 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2012, 12:39 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
MrProdigy555's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,953
                     
Re: Serena's 2013 Clay Court Strategy

I can't take that poster seriously when they type in that immature font.

Like I said, bring on French Open 2013!

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Ivan. View Post
I am THE original asshole! You mad??

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProdigy555 View Post
Don't make me come to T&T to huff and puff and blow your hut down, girl.
Fuck y'all
MrProdigy555 is offline  
post #129 of 368 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2012, 02:07 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,074
                     
Re: Serena's 2013 Clay Court Strategy

I think she has two options. See Kim Clijsters' doctor and have an annoying injury that causes her to sadly miss the clay court season in time to miraculously recover and win Wimbledon.

The other is do what she can go about it the same way she always has. Play some tournaments, hit the ball hard and be the best player on the court 80% of the time.
KIG. is offline  
post #130 of 368 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2012, 04:06 PM
Senior Member
 
acetoace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,121
                     
Re: Serena's 2013 Clay Court Strategy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Светльо View Post
Erm, hello! Maria has 1 title, 2 SFs, 3 other QFs at the French. Plus 2 Rome titles, a Stuttgart one, Amelia Island and a MM title. She is already a way more accomplished player on clay than Ana. Not that this is of any significance but it was just weird seeing you use the word 'additional' and imply that Ivanovic is ahead of Sharapova results wise on clay, as she clearly isn't in fact she is quite behind!

Ooooops.... TF deranged bipolar "font psycho" is back. The avatar itself speaks volume!!!
acetoace is offline  
post #131 of 368 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2012, 04:12 PM
.
 
Stamp Paid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: ...
Posts: 49,013
                     
Re: Serena's 2013 Clay Court Strategy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Светльо View Post
Erm, hello! Maria has 1 title, 2 SFs, 3 other QFs at the French. Plus 2 Rome titles, a Stuttgart one, Amelia Island and a MM title. She is already a way more accomplished player on clay than Ana. Not that this is of any significance but it was just weird seeing you use the word 'additional' and imply that Ivanovic is ahead of Sharapova results wise on clay, as she clearly isn't in fact she is quite behind!
Slutlio sis, please stop with this font.


█████████████████ʘ
Stamp Paid is offline  
post #132 of 368 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2012, 04:32 PM
La Divina Assoluta
 
The Dawntreader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,022
                     
Re: Serena's 2013 Clay Court Strategy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitten View Post
Pierce and Sharapova play different on clay despite both being relatively slow and flat hitters.

Just watch Pierce's 2000 HLs run. The angles she kept burning Legend with and the way she could occasionally hit a loopier sort of moonball shot to break rhythm were good tools for her.
I think Sharapova has learnt to put a bit of air and rotation on her forehand on clay. Up until 2010, she would try and hit this uber-flat ball that just gave any decent ball-striker tons of rhythm. That match against Cibulkova in '09 is a prime example. Sharapova was feeding Cibulkova pace, and she was just deflecting it fairly comfortably. That kind of brand of tennis doesn't really work on clay, especially if you don't have the footwork and athleticism to back it up.

The first time I actually noticed Sharapova playing genuine clay-court tennis was against Henin at RG in '10. She was loading her forehand with spin, and not allowing Henin to have the same height on the ball in every rally to strike. She's pretty much carried on in that vein ever since.
The Dawntreader is offline  
post #133 of 368 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2012, 08:54 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,035
                     
Re: Serena's 2013 Clay Court Strategy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziros View Post
It's strange - Maria has a better chance vs. the field(all players other than Serena) to win it,but yet she has negative chances in a match with Serena...
The only bright spot for Maria is that she did take Serena to 3 sets on green clay in 2008, when she was struggling with her shoulder and Serena eventually won that tournament.

It's just a terrible match up, Serena exposes Maria's lack of feel on her returns and exposes her lack of movement out wide and she does it with ease as well, see how she seemed to have so much time on the ball while Maria was rushed every time in their match at the Olympics (admittedly on a fast grass court).

Still, this thread is not about Sharapova. It's about Serena and the facts don't lie, she hasn't had a meaningful win on red clay since she beat Mauresmo on it in 2003.
DevilishAttitude is offline  
post #134 of 368 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2012, 10:28 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 5,613
                     
Re: Serena's 2013 Clay Court Strategy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilishAttitude View Post
The only bright spot for Maria is that she did take Serena to 3 sets on green clay in 2008, when she was struggling with her shoulder and Serena eventually won that tournament.

It's just a terrible match up, Serena exposes Maria's lack of feel on her returns and exposes her lack of movement out wide and she does it with ease as well, see how she seemed to have so much time on the ball while Maria was rushed every time in their match at the Olympics (admittedly on a fast grass court).

Still, this thread is not about Sharapova. It's about Serena and the facts don't lie, she hasn't had a meaningful win on red clay since she beat Mauresmo on it in 2003.
Serena also skipped 3 claycourt seasons since that time as well.
TheDream is offline  
post #135 of 368 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2012, 03:33 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,035
                     
Re: Serena's 2013 Clay Court Strategy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDream View Post
Serena also skipped 3 claycourt seasons since that time as well.
She's had six seasons to have good results and her best is only three SF's at Rome and her best win is over #11 Safina in 2007.

Really, she isn't going to win the French again.
DevilishAttitude is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome