Martina Hingis, overrated? - Page 13 - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #181 of 326 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2012, 08:12 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Somewhere in time
Posts: 3,147
                     
Re: Martina Hingis, overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD View Post
Venus also held 3-1 H2H against Hingis in their last 4 games (1on hard court, and 2 on clay).
And clay is where Hingis' game style should eclipse Venus'...but didn't.
Nonsense. Clay was her worst surface. As it is, Hingis won her last match against Venus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD View Post
If their is nothing wrong with Hingis' serve, then her second serve shouldn't be a problem either.
Yet you just admitted that her second serve was "pretty poor".
Venus has just as poor second serve. Is it widely agreed serve is her major weakness?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD View Post
You can't use the 'she was burned out' excuse, because it was her choice to play an ungodly number of events to maintain her #1 ranking.
Another myth widely circulated and completely untrue. Most of the time, she had a gigantic lead in points and didn't need to play middling events, which often were not even counted in her points totals! She played lots of events because it was asked from her, WTA needed top players to promote events and she respected her committments. Quite unlike certain unnamed Serena Williams, I might point out.

"Literally four types of comments: your awesome, I hate you, I jerked off to this, why would anybody jerk off to this. Youtube should just get rid of comments. Blah."
Timariot is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #182 of 326 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2012, 08:31 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 61
                     
Re: Martina Hingis, overrated?

Yeah:

That's why she was No 1 for almost four years.
et316rapier is offline  
post #183 of 326 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2012, 08:36 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 17,677
                     
Re: Martina Hingis, overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsanders06 View Post
For me, considering Hingis's best year was when Serena was barely playing and the Belgians were still in juniors, it just seems weird to put them in the same generation. I mean, the supporting cast in Hingis's best years were ALL members of the 90s Generation (Graf, Seles, Sanchez Vicario, Novotna, etc.).

I don't know, it is tricky. And actually, I have to say my instinct would've been to group Davenport as part of the 00s Generation, even though logically I guess if Hingis is part of the 90s Generation then Davenport would have to be too.
I always love this.

Cause it's amazing how Davenport never catches any flack for her measly three slams that she won in the same period Legend was winning hers.

It's always the same press fucks in a thread about Legend.

Legend was not overrated. She was lazy and unmotivated which led to her failing to improve and build on the early success of her career.
Smitten is offline  
post #184 of 326 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2012, 08:53 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 61
                     
Re: Martina Hingis, overrated?

Funny how many biased people fail to accept that Martina, Venus and Serena played great matches and their Win/Loss ratio is nearly equal.
et316rapier is offline  
post #185 of 326 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2012, 10:10 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,215
                     
Re: Martina Hingis, overrated?

Hingis has her special spot in the history of the sport. She is not one of the greatest achievers, but certainly one of the brightest talents ever. That's why people will remember her for long time to come.
petkoan is offline  
post #186 of 326 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2012, 10:46 AM
Senior Member
 
Joelina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Prague
Posts: 5,717
                     
Re: Martina Hingis, overrated?

no she isn´t, for me she is one of the best players in the world and it doesn´t matter how many grandslams she has, she was a genius on court, too bad i couldn´t follow her at her prime because i was a little child

Maria Sharapova
Joelina is online now  
post #187 of 326 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2012, 11:53 AM
Crazy Conspiracy Theorist, Politically Incorrect
 
Martian Jeza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Marti-Party Room
Posts: 32,124
                     
Re: Martina Hingis, overrated?

Overrated for people loving power hitting and ball bashing tennis and why not brutal tennis. Even with a bit of coke, she would beat many of the Top 30 of nowadays with her brains. And also best technique ever

Wolves are my soul, my everything !

Know your real ennemies : don't let you fool by the mainstream media : They are full time LIARS ! NEVER trust the government !

BNP Paribas, JP Morgan, Lagardere are criminals : WAKE UP !
Martian Jeza is offline  
post #188 of 326 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2012, 12:09 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 45,119
                     
Re: Martina Hingis, overrated?

Tough case...she's what Caroline Wozniacki tried and so far has failed to become: a MEGA consistent player who wasn't gonna beat herself, but who was gonna force you to come up with the goods. That's why she was probably the worst match-up for Venus.

Hingis was consistent. You knew what you were gonna get from her...but at the majors after '99, she had no extra gear and she could and did get beaten by opponents who were in better form.

Always bet on black!
Can you handle the truth?
The truth:
Serena Williams: Greatest African-American tennisplayer in history
22 majors:6376


Official Prince of the Royal Court
bandabou is offline  
post #189 of 326 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2012, 12:15 PM
Crazy Conspiracy Theorist, Politically Incorrect
 
Martian Jeza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Marti-Party Room
Posts: 32,124
                     
Re: Martina Hingis, overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandabou View Post
Tough case...she's what Caroline Wozniacki tried and so far has failed to become: a MEGA consistent player who wasn't gonna beat herself, but who was gonna force you to come up with the goods. That's why she was probably the worst match-up for Venus.

Hingis was consistent. You knew what you were gonna get from her...but at the majors after '99, she had no extra gear and she could and did get beaten by opponents who were in better form.
Better physique and body you mean : but after all most of them were average at tactical side, technical side and grace on court ! If you want to see truck drivers to dominate the whole thing, your choice ! I'd rather see Ferrari's

Wolves are my soul, my everything !

Know your real ennemies : don't let you fool by the mainstream media : They are full time LIARS ! NEVER trust the government !

BNP Paribas, JP Morgan, Lagardere are criminals : WAKE UP !
Martian Jeza is offline  
post #190 of 326 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2012, 12:17 PM
Senior Member
 
Olórin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 13,748
                     
Re: Martina Hingis, overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timariot View Post
Nonsense. Clay was her worst surface. As it is, Hingis won her last match against Venus.
No, grass is. Obviously slow surfaces are where she stands the greatest chance of eclipsing Venus.

Quote:
Venus has just as poor second serve. Is it widely agreed serve is her major weakness?
Venus' second serve is a liability but not to the extent of Martina's. When has Martina ever hit a second serve ace in her entire career? Venus has done that to save break points from time to time.


Quote:
Another myth widely circulated and completely untrue. Most of the time, she had a gigantic lead in points and didn't need to play middling events, which often were not even counted in her points totals! She played lots of events because it was asked from her, WTA needed top players to promote events and she respected her committments. Quite unlike certain unnamed Serena Williams, I might point out.
Serena played a full schedule until her knee injury in 2003 and was number one for the most of the time she was winnign slams. Very weak snipe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alla Luce View Post
(1)A lot is being made of the record Serena has vs Sharapova. It is being used as THE reason she will win again lol. Good thing we have players like Tomas Berdych (who had an even worse record vs Nadal) to remind us of the fallacy of this nonsense logic.
(2)You stans may as well sleep well tonight because tomorrow the a replay of Lucie's winning moment over and over again will haunt your dreams for weeks to come
(3)The stars have aligned perfectly for the upset of the 21st century. All the best Garbine
(4) There is no path to victory for Williams.Keys wins in straight easy sets.
Olórin is offline  
post #191 of 326 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2012, 12:38 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 71
                     
Re: Martina Hingis, overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olórin View Post
No, grass is. Obviously slow surfaces are where she stands the greatest chance of eclipsing Venus.


Venus' second serve is a liability but not to the extent of Martina's. When has Martina ever hit a second serve ace in her entire career? Venus has done that to save break points from time to time.



Serena played a full schedule until her knee injury in 2003 and was number one for the most of the time she was winnign slams. Very weak snipe.
I actually think clay might be her worst surface. Probably equal with grass though. Although clay helped soak the power of her opposition, it slowed down her already slow shots and gave her and her opponents more time to set up. She also had crappy/lazy movement. Kinda reminds me hsieh su wei actually. But it kinda comes down to who shes playing/match ups you know.

Also your wrong about hingis' 2nd serve. She HAS served 2nd serve aces! Watch her final against davenport in zurich. My computers too slow to watch the video but yeh. Hard to believe! But she did have kind of a crappy serve although her first serve was decent and she did have a nice motion!
tracytracy22 is offline  
post #192 of 326 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2012, 12:41 PM
country flag RVD
Senior Member
 
RVD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 32,973
                     
Re: Martina Hingis, overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timariot View Post
Nonsense. Clay was her worst surface. As it is, Hingis won her last match against Venus.
Okaaaay...
However, none of this changes the fact that Venus won 3 out of of 4 of their last 4 matches.
Also, given the fact that Venus was playing with an injured left wrist most of 2006, I would imagine it wouldn't be all that difficult for Hingis to win. But again, how does your argument change the fact that Venus won 3 of their last 4 matches if Hingis was such a great tactician who could easily hang with the big hitters? Nothing you've presented so far supports your assertions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timariot View Post
Venus has just as poor second serve. Is it widely agreed serve is her major weakness?
Are you kidding me? Are you seriously comparing Venus' serve to Hingis?
And also, do you not realize that you contradicted yourself concerning Hingis' 1st serve in your previous post?
You stated that she had a 70% 1st serve record, yet you also go on to say that she no longer took any chances with it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timariot View Post
Nothing wrong with Hingis' serve, really. Her second serve was pretty poor, but she had a good first serve with usually high percentage (~70). I don't understand S&V comment, she seldom played S & V. What did Hingis in was quite simply burnout - she played a lot in her teens and unlike SOME #1 players, she loved all that representing, charities etc committments. It was taxing life and she couldn't maintain it. If you look at Hingis at ~2001-2002, and compare to that of ther peak few years earlier, it's so obvious how much she had declined as a player - movement gone, loopy short forehand, no longer taking any risks with her first serve.
Furthermore, you still haven't answered my initial question about Hingis 1st serve percentage against the big babes such as Venus, Davenport, Serena, and Capriati.
The fact is, her 1st serve is ineffective against these returners (her 2nd serve, even worse), which was only one factor in her series of loses to the aforementioned players.
The other reason is that she just could not handle the pace and depth of the base-line players.
Why is this so hard to understand? And why is this even now an argument?
It takes nothing away from her past achievements.
But facts are facts, and even the commentators stated this constantly, during Hingis' matches with the Big Babes.
If you are in fact a Hingis fan and supporter you should know all of this better than anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timariot View Post
Another myth widely circulated and completely untrue. Most of the time, she had a gigantic lead in points and didn't need to play middling events, which often were not even counted in her points totals! She played lots of events because it was asked from her, WTA needed top players to promote events and she respected her committments. Quite unlike certain unnamed Serena Williams, I might point out.

Come on now...
Okay, never-mind.
We'll just have to agree to disagree on this last line of logic.
I'm going to sleep now.

One thing's certain...
You're definitely a Hingis fan.

Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery. - Malcolm X
A man who stands for nothing will fall for anything. - Malcolm X
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Confucius
The greatest scholars are not usually the wisest people. - Geoffrey Chaucer
RVD is offline  
post #193 of 326 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2012, 12:51 PM
Senior Member
 
Olórin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 13,748
                     
Re: Martina Hingis, overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracytracy22 View Post
I actually think clay might be her worst surface. Probably equal with grass though. Although clay helped soak the power of her opposition, it slowed down her already slow shots and gave her and her opponents more time to set up. She also had crappy/lazy movement. Kinda reminds me hsieh su wei actually. But it kinda comes down to who shes playing/match ups you know.
Maybe, but she never had the kind of WTF losses on clay that she had on grass, even in her second career. Her serve was more exposed on grass and she was more susceptible to being blown away by a variety of players. If she hadn't got injured before the French in 1997 had won that final against Majoli and then run out of gas against Novotna and not taken that second set - we wouldn't even be having this conversation. Rebound Ace was clearly her best surface by light years though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alla Luce View Post
(1)A lot is being made of the record Serena has vs Sharapova. It is being used as THE reason she will win again lol. Good thing we have players like Tomas Berdych (who had an even worse record vs Nadal) to remind us of the fallacy of this nonsense logic.
(2)You stans may as well sleep well tonight because tomorrow the a replay of Lucie's winning moment over and over again will haunt your dreams for weeks to come
(3)The stars have aligned perfectly for the upset of the 21st century. All the best Garbine
(4) There is no path to victory for Williams.Keys wins in straight easy sets.
Olórin is offline  
post #194 of 326 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2012, 01:07 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 71
                     
Re: Martina Hingis, overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olórin View Post
Maybe, but she never had the kind of WTF losses on clay that she had on grass, even in her second career. Her serve was more exposed on grass and she was more susceptible to being blown away by a variety of players. If she hadn't got injured before the French in 1997 had won that final against Majoli and then run out of gas against Novotna and not taken that second set - we wouldn't even be having this conversation. Rebound Ace was clearly her best surface by light years though.
That 1997 french open...injury wasn't a factor. Majoli was too good. Hingis was a bit off - that 3 set match against monica probably took a lot out of her. Oh and yeh not arguing with you about rebound ace. She's one of the best hardcourters. She was also great on in-doors and carpet too! Medium to fast pace surfaces suited her. Not too fast (grass) and no too slow (clay). Although your right - she's better on clay. She definitely should have won 1999 french and hingis felt as though she should have beaten peirce in 2000 (I've never seen the match). Had she won she probably would have beaten conchita.
tracytracy22 is offline  
post #195 of 326 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2012, 01:08 PM
La Divina Assoluta
 
The Dawntreader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,073
                     
Re: Martina Hingis, overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitten View Post
I always love this.

Cause it's amazing how Davenport never catches any flack for her measly three slams that she won in the same period Legend was winning hers.

It's always the same press fucks in a thread about Legend.

Legend was not overrated. She was lazy and unmotivated which led to her failing to improve and build on the early success of her career.
Exactly the reason why she is overrated and deserves to be underrated.
The Dawntreader is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome