News confirmed: No tennis on Eurosport in 2013 outside the slams - Page 32 - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #466 of 1542 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 2012, 03:09 PM
PharMaria Co. CFO
 
tejmeglekvár's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 14,146
                     
Re: News confirmed: No tennis on Eurosport in 2013 outside the slams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg View Post
C'mon, don't bullshit me. Of course ATP is relevant if we're talking about global sports rights.

Okay Mr. Company Man, why can't the WTA reach a decent tv contract in time? It's obvious they were supposed to have something to announce in Istanbul. Instead we got some kind of monologue without any real information. It's not very convincing.
Even the informations listed in this topic you are trying to ignore, so does it matter?
And why was it "obvious" to announce something in Istanbul when negotiating were still going?
You know what else not convincing? When people only care to get things free/cheap through Eurosport.

The Queen of Screams
tejmeglekvár is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #467 of 1542 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 2012, 03:21 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 278
                     
Re: News confirmed: No tennis on Eurosport in 2013 outside the slams

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejmeglekvár View Post
Even the informations listed in this topic you are trying to ignore, so does it matter?
And why was it "obvious" to announce something in Istanbul when negotiating were still going?
You know what else not convincing? When people only care to get things free/cheap through Eurosport.
You mean the information that there is nothing in the UK, Italy, Scandinavia, Germany etc. etc?

Or are you referring to that killer deal with sport1 in the Netherlands? That was made in the summer. The MCS Deal in September. The Perform group has had time and nothing seem to happen. It's not ideal that this is dragging so long. It speaks volumes.

Well at least there was something to watch on Eurosport. I'm willing to pay for my tennis. The only problem? No channel seems to be interested to pick it up.

ATP usually announced deals during the ATP Champs. End of the season, huge tournament, of course it's a good place to make announcements. But hey, some rambling monologue without any information is fine too.
Hedberg is offline  
post #468 of 1542 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 2012, 03:28 PM
PharMaria Co. CFO
 
tejmeglekvár's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 14,146
                     
Re: News confirmed: No tennis on Eurosport in 2013 outside the slams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg View Post
You mean the information that there is nothing in the UK, Italy, Scandinavia, Germany etc. etc?
and how do you know there is nothing? Oh wait, must be the "facts".

The Queen of Screams
tejmeglekvár is offline  
post #469 of 1542 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 2012, 03:32 PM
Senior Member
 
soimu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: fcpi ROU
Posts: 947
                     
Re: News confirmed: No tennis on Eurosport in 2013 outside the slams

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejmeglekvár View Post
You know what else not convincing? When people only care to get things free/cheap through Eurosport.
Stacey is that you ?

Now seriously are you the WTA lawyer or what ?
soimu is offline  
post #470 of 1542 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 2012, 03:39 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 278
                     
Re: News confirmed: No tennis on Eurosport in 2013 outside the slams

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejmeglekvár View Post
and how do you know there is nothing? Oh wait, must be the "facts".
One theory could be that they would actually announce something if they had something? You know, they could actually promote their product? Or are you thinking they want to keep it a secret? Oh, those great business minds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soimu View Post
Stacey is that you ?

Now seriously are you the WTA lawyer or what ?
I think just a ordinary douchebag.
Hedberg is offline  
post #471 of 1542 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 2012, 03:45 PM
Senior Member
 
Katja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 33,196
                     
Re: News confirmed: No tennis on Eurosport in 2013 outside the slams

You can't look at the TV contracts just in terms of "how much money are they paying?". TV exposure and wide availability is extremely important for tournaments, sponsors and to generate new fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick345 View Post
A regular bobsled world cup pulls twice those numbers and lasts about an hour.
...because it's on ARD or ZDF, on a weekend. Tons and tons of viewers who just switch their TV on and stick with it because it's the first or second channel they see, and Eurosport is Number 134. The Mixed Doubles olympics match for third place with Lisicki/Kas had 6.5 million viewers.

If the WTA were smart they'd offer the TV rights to ARD/ZDF for pennies. That's what the winter sports have done for years to build a fan base, and it helped them grow their sports tremendously. But that would require the WTA to look further than their next paycheck.
Katja is offline  
post #472 of 1542 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 2012, 03:50 PM
PharMaria Co. CFO
 
tejmeglekvár's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 14,146
                     
Re: News confirmed: No tennis on Eurosport in 2013 outside the slams

Quote:
Originally Posted by soimu View Post
Stacey is that you ?

Now seriously are you the WTA lawyer or what ?
you got me. Did you figure it out only by yourself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg View Post
I think just a ordinary douchebag.
So having an opininon makes somebody a douchebag? Congratz to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatjaS View Post
You can't look at the TV contracts just in terms of "how much money are they paying?". TV exposure and wide availability is extremely important for tournaments, sponsors and to generate new fans.
That was last 15 years.

The Queen of Screams
tejmeglekvár is offline  
post #473 of 1542 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 2012, 03:54 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 278
                     
Re: News confirmed: No tennis on Eurosport in 2013 outside the slams

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejmeglekvár View Post

So having an opininon makes somebody a douchebag? Congratz to you.
Opinion? Those aren't really opinions. They are pretty much just BS-statements.
Hedberg is offline  
post #474 of 1542 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 2012, 03:57 PM
PharMaria Co. CFO
 
tejmeglekvár's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 14,146
                     
Re: News confirmed: No tennis on Eurosport in 2013 outside the slams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg View Post
Opinion? Those aren't really opinions. They are pretty much just BS-statements.
you mean "ATP killing WTA"?

The Queen of Screams
tejmeglekvár is offline  
post #475 of 1542 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 2012, 04:05 PM
Senior Member
 
Katja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 33,196
                     
Re: News confirmed: No tennis on Eurosport in 2013 outside the slams

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejmeglekvár View Post
That was last 15 years.
Eurosport? At least in Germany that's a niche channel that attracts absolutely no "drive-by" viewers.
Katja is offline  
post #476 of 1542 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 2012, 04:05 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 278
                     
Re: News confirmed: No tennis on Eurosport in 2013 outside the slams

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejmeglekvár View Post
you mean "ATP killing WTA"?
No, you're probably right. WTA ratings just crushing the ATP ratings. Sky Sports are ready to drop their ATP rights, just to get some Bartoli-Radwanska classics on prime time. Sport1 in Germany negotiating the same deal. Maybe that's the reason this is taking a lifetime?
Hedberg is offline  
post #477 of 1542 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 2012, 05:13 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 26,556
                     
Re: News confirmed: No tennis on Eurosport in 2013 outside the slams

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatjaS View Post
You can't look at the TV contracts just in terms of "how much money are they paying?". TV exposure and wide availability is extremely important for tournaments, sponsors and to generate new fans.



...because it's on ARD or ZDF, on a weekend. Tons and tons of viewers who just switch their TV on and stick with it because it's the first or second channel they see, and Eurosport is Number 134.
Basic cable has 35 channels and Eurosport One is in the cable system in every state, so it is easily accessable and not 134 like you claim. My guess between 13-18 on average on German remote controls. Another exaggeration to make your case. The reach Eurosport has today far exceeds the reach of RTL/Sat 1 in the early 90s, when Becker, Stich and Graf pulled 15 times the TV ratings for Wimbledon/Masters. Don´t act like people are too dumb to find Eurosport. There is a reason tennis regularly got dumped for handball, summer ski-jumping and snooker in the German ES window, while British ES stayed on live tennis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatjaS View Post
The Mixed Doubles olympics match for third place with Lisicki/Kas had 6.5 million viewers.

If the WTA were smart they'd offer the TV rights to ARD/ZDF for pennies. That's what the winter sports have done for years to build a fan base, and it helped them grow their sports tremendously. But that would require the WTA to look further than their next paycheck.

That was the OLYMPICS. Every sport draws during the Olympics. Eurosport drew bigger numbers during the Olympics running opposite ARD/ZDF with commercials than they do for their regular programming. Speedskating had over 10 million viewers during the Winter Olympics. The Roger Federer/Tommy Haas Halle final was live on ZDF this year and drew less than a regular wintersport event, around a million viewers.

The regular free tv station have no interest in a full two week commitment to tennis. Heck they won´t even commit to the clear structured, planable patriotic three day weekend events like Davis and Fed-Cup anymore, because it does not draw. Why does it not draw? Because the Germans don´t win. Why do they not win? Due to a lack of interest they have to play Australia on clay. That was a business decision, not a tennis decision. Otherwise Rittner should have been fired, but instead her contract was extended, because she´ll keep her mouth shut and accept her faith.

I don´t know why fans from Germany always try to deny the reality. The WTA had 10 years of exposure. How long do they need to rebuild tennis in Germany? There is no ATP here on free-tv either, because nobody cares about tennis. The only way that changes is a German Grand Slam singles champion with foreseeable longevity.

We´ll see whether the shrewd orgnaizers of Stuttgart can sell their top class field to anyone, but Eurosport. Best case the tournament and the Fed-Cup tie lands in the regional programs of ARD with options for a semifinal/final on ARD/ZDF.

- Caroline Wozniacki has never beaten a reigning world #1.
- Caroline Wozniacki has never beaten a top 5 player at a major.
- Caroline Wozniacki has not beaten a top 3 player en route to any of her 23 titles.
- Caroline Wozniacki has beaten two top 5 players en route to her 23 titles (#4 Zvonareva and #5 Schiavone)

-Her fans think she had very bad luck with her Grand Slam and Regular Tour draws.
Patrick345 is offline  
post #478 of 1542 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 2012, 05:38 PM
Senior Member
 
Katja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 33,196
                     
Re: News confirmed: No tennis on Eurosport in 2013 outside the slams

By "basic cable" I guess you mean analog cable? Nobody but a few seniors has that anymore, as the quality on a LCD is unbearable. And with digital you have a lot more than 35 channels, and for me Eurosport is channel 402. Nobody ends up there unless they are actively looking for it.

All the winter sports are watched because they're on ARD/ZDF and people who just switch on their TV stick with it, not because there has always been a tremendous interest in overweight Bavarians on a sled.
Katja is offline  
post #479 of 1542 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 2012, 05:47 PM
Senior Member
 
Lisickinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,215
                     
Re: News confirmed: No tennis on Eurosport in 2013 outside the slams

Europort Germany has an average market share of only 0.6% here. 26 stations have a higher one. The market share of ARD or ZDF is about 12% each.

scheiß Fußball

Last edited by Lisickinator; Nov 21st, 2012 at 05:53 PM.
Lisickinator is offline  
post #480 of 1542 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 2012, 04:14 AM
Senior Member
 
rjd1111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: usa
Posts: 3,643
                     
Re: News confirmed: No tennis on Eurosport in 2013 outside the slams

The continuing saga of the WTA's revolutioary new

marketing strategy to promote and enhance

their sport by NOT allowing people to see it.

Less and less TV coverage and Shutting down the

online streams............Brilliant!
rjd1111 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome