Greg Garber(ESPN): "Petra Kvitova - the biggest disappointment" - Page 7 - TennisForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of 119 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2012, 04:55 AM
it's just me against the music.
 
In The Zone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 26,541
                     
Re: Greg Garber(ESPN): "Petra Kvitova - the biggest disappointment"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitten View Post
True in a way, but her sophomore slump is the same thing that happened to other players that went on to become great.

She is still growing into things and has a lot of upside to tap into. Although, I wish she had just been able to get her hands on Azarenka so she could bury her.

It's overreacting to write her off.
Ding ding ding.

Serena went 2.5 years between her first and second slam. Let's see what happens. Not fair to call her a disappointment - yet.
In The Zone is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 119 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2012, 05:04 AM
空と君のあいだに
 
TIEFSEE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Asai Nemuri
Posts: 97,675
                     
2013 is an important year for Petra to prove to doubters

君が笑ってくれるなら僕は悪にでもなる

Tennis Tipping:
Singles (CHR#17) - Copenhagen 10 Beijing 11 Pattaya 12
Doubles (CHR#1) - Cincinnati 09 Hobart 16(w/Drake1980) ; Auckland Copenhagen 10 Palermo 11 Stuttgart Baku 12 Palermo 13 (w/Richie's) ; Monterrey 14 (w/Adrian.) USO 14 Moscow Hong Kong New Haven 15(w/Frederik) Prague Madrid 16 (w/Buitenzorg)
TIEFSEE is offline  
post #93 of 119 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2012, 05:15 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,614
                     
Re: Greg Garber(ESPN): "Petra Kvitova - the biggest disappointment"

I can see Greg Garber's argument Petra didn't have a GREAT 2012 but she was consistent semifinalist at the Australian and French Opens, quarterfinalist at Wimbledon, fourth round at US Open.

After the incredible 2011, the media expected Petra to keep it up and dominate the game that did NOT happen.

The Sharapova match at the Australian Open was SO CLOSE but the problem was I think Petra felt the pressure if she won that match she would have reached number one. I think Petra crumbled under the pressure and she hasn't been the same since.

Petra did win two titles this year so she does have some consistency now. I think the problem for Petra is her fitness and I cannot believe people make excuses but the girl needs to get into much better physical shape. I think against Bartoli, Petra was tired because she won so much she played too much tennis winning Montreal, and New Haven, and also reaching semifinals of Cincinatti. She needs to really give 150% on her fitness lose the baby fat.

Petra also might also need to give more margin on her shots and maybe play some doubles and come to net more.

I think Petra is more naturally talented than Victoria BUT I see that Victoria has dedicated herself to fitness she is in amaazing physical shape.

If Petra can improve her fitness I believe her results will improve.
Morrissey is offline  
post #94 of 119 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2012, 05:20 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,614
                     
Re: Greg Garber(ESPN): "Petra Kvitova - the biggest disappointment"

Quote:
Originally Posted by @danieln1 View Post
She was supposed to dominate this year, but she flopped, and she is the biggest disapointment this year for me, by far.

What is the most shocking is that she is MUCH MORE talented than the current world number 1, as proved when they faced last year on the tour. But the current number 1 is better prepared physically, that explains her higher ranking compared to Petra.

100% of people know that if Kvitova is playing her best, the current number 1 doesn´t stand a chance, since Petra game is to finish points quickly with the winner, opposed to the grinding game style.
I agree with this comment Victoria seems more determined that Petra to be honest. Victoria is talented but she doesn't have the explosive power that Petra has. Petra's serve is superior and so are her groundstrokes.

However, Victoria is a serious athlete the girl can run she has good variety and she definitely hits the gym she is in great shape.

The fitness is the key for Petra she can't give 70% off the court she needs to lose that gut and get toned and get into top physical condition.

The better fit Petra is the better her movement is going to be on the court.
Morrissey is offline  
post #95 of 119 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2012, 05:47 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
danieln1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 22,511
                     
Re: Greg Garber(ESPN): "Petra Kvitova - the biggest disappointment"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrissey View Post
I agree with this comment Victoria seems more determined that Petra to be honest. Victoria is talented but she doesn't have the explosive power that Petra has. Petra's serve is superior and so are her groundstrokes.

However, Victoria is a serious athlete the girl can run she has good variety and she definitely hits the gym she is in great shape.

The fitness is the key for Petra she can't give 70% off the court she needs to lose that gut and get toned and get into top physical condition.

The better fit Petra is the better her movement is going to be on the court.
Yeah, a fit Petra and with confidence in her shots will be a very dificult opponent for anyone.

ITF: “She is the sole author of her own misfortune.”
danieln1 is offline  
post #96 of 119 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2012, 06:10 PM
Senior Member
 
Linguae^'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,117
                     
Re: Greg Garber(ESPN): "Petra Kvitova - the biggest disappointment"

She got blindsided by Azarenka, totally, everyone expected Kvitova to dominate this year after the end of the last one, but Azarenka took that spot and stole the show. It was unpredictable at the end of the last year, but now it's true and we see that Azarenka is a more stable player than Kvitova, who seems to have shone only once.
Linguae^ is offline  
post #97 of 119 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2012, 06:25 PM
Senior Member
 
Stonerpova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 7,754
                     
Re: Greg Garber(ESPN): "Petra Kvitova - the biggest disappointment"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linguae^ View Post
She got blindsided by Azarenka, totally, everyone expected Kvitova to dominate this year after the end of the last one, but Azarenka took that spot and stole the show. It was unpredictable at the end of the last year, but now it's true and we see that Azarenka is a more stable player than Kvitova, who seems to have shone only once.




http://imageshack.us/a/img534/5492/maria1y.pnghttp://img689.imageshack.us/img689/4647/xk7s.png
Sharapova Ivanovic Jankovic Pavs Wozniacki Wickmayer Goerges Cetkovska Vaidisova
Tweet. Tumble. Blog.

Stonerpova is offline  
post #98 of 119 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2012, 08:13 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 44,681
                     
Re: Greg Garber(ESPN): "Petra Kvitova - the biggest disappointment"

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Zone View Post
Ding ding ding.

Serena went 2.5 years between her first and second slam. Let's see what happens. Not fair to call her a disappointment - yet.
Serena won her first at 17/18..Petra won her first at age 21. Don't have the luxury, but the point is good.

Always bet on black!
Can you handle the truth?
The truth:
Serena Williams: Greatest African-American tennisplayer in history
22 majors:6376


Official Prince of the Royal Court
bandabou is offline  
post #99 of 119 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2012, 08:27 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 4,018
                     
Re: Greg Garber(ESPN): "Petra Kvitova - the biggest disappointment"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrissey View Post
I can see Greg Garber's argument Petra didn't have a GREAT 2012 but she was consistent semifinalist at the Australian and French Opens, quarterfinalist at Wimbledon, fourth round at US Open.

After the incredible 2011, the media expected Petra to keep it up and dominate the game that did NOT happen.

The Sharapova match at the Australian Open was SO CLOSE but the problem was I think Petra felt the pressure if she won that match she would have reached number one. I think Petra crumbled under the pressure and she hasn't been the same since.

Petra did win two titles this year so she does have some consistency now. I think the problem for Petra is her fitness and I cannot believe people make excuses but the girl needs to get into much better physical shape. I think against Bartoli, Petra was tired because she won so much she played too much tennis winning Montreal, and New Haven, and also reaching semifinals of Cincinatti. She needs to really give 150% on her fitness lose the baby fat.

Petra also might also need to give more margin on her shots and maybe play some doubles and come to net more.

I think Petra is more naturally talented than Victoria BUT I see that Victoria has dedicated herself to fitness she is in amaazing physical shape.

If Petra can improve her fitness I believe her results will improve.
A great post and rational
PetraReeMona is offline  
post #100 of 119 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2012, 08:35 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 75
                     
Re: Greg Garber(ESPN): "Petra Kvitova - the biggest disappointment"

The worrisome thing for Petra is even when she played well this year she still lost to Serena and Sharapova. The feeling before this year was when Petra played well she would usually win the title, but that was not the case. She didnt play Azarenka but one would think looking at their success she probably would have lost to her too. Add to that she has still has periods of inconsistency, while she has gotten better with that, and she has her work cut out fo rher.
SelesGOAT is offline  
post #101 of 119 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2012, 08:37 PM
Senior Member
 
GoofyDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Down on the West Coast
Posts: 31,848
                     
Re: Greg Garber(ESPN): "Petra Kvitova - the biggest disappointment"

I hope she gets in shape during the offseason by some serious workouts unlike her Turkey or Czech Spa camps

Official Guardian and Delphinium of the Forbidden Flower Kingdom

Jelena Jankovic - Vera Zvonareva - Zhang Shuai - Duan Ying-Ying - Venus Williams - Petra Kvitova - Zheng Jie - Li Na - Serena Williams - Peng Shuai - Hsieh Su-Wei
GoofyDuck is offline  
post #102 of 119 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2012, 08:46 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 13,760
                     
Re: Greg Garber(ESPN): "Petra Kvitova - the biggest disappointment"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelesGOAT View Post
The worrisome thing for Petra is even when she played well this year she still lost to Serena and Sharapova. The feeling before this year was when Petra played well she would usually win the title, but that was not the case. She didnt play Azarenka but one would think looking at their success she probably would have lost to her too. Add to that she has still has periods of inconsistency, while she has gotten better with that, and she has her work cut out fo rher.
Yeah, she "played well" leading up to those matches, but no where near what she played last year.

I shouldn't have to break it down, but Petra's level was not comparable.

In addition to her actual play, Petra's injuries, illnesses, adjusting to her new found fame, responsibilities and expectations, etc., has to be taken in consideration as well.

Azarenka was already a top 10 player for the last few years, and hadn't won a slam. And when she finally won one and became number one--no one noticed or had any expectations for her (no pressure), cause she wasn't the one being tapped by the media.

Even now, many tennis die hards and media still don't take her seriously, cause they don't feel she has the game to dominate. That helps her.

As far as Petra, we'll see where the next 3 months-two years takes her?
Excelscior is offline  
post #103 of 119 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2012, 08:55 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 27,161
                     
Re: Greg Garber(ESPN): "Petra Kvitova - the biggest disappointment"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelscior View Post
Yeah, she "played well" leading up to those matches, but no where near what she played last year.

I shouldn't have to break it down, but Petra's level was not comparable.

In addition to her actual play, Petra's injuries, illnesses, adjusting to her new found fame, responsibilities and expectations, etc., has to be taken in consideration as well.

Azarenka was already a top 10 player for the last few years, and hadn't won a slam. And when she finally won one and became number one--no one noticed or had any expectations for her (no pressure), cause she wasn't the one being tapped by the media.

Even now, many tennis die hards and media still don't take her seriously, cause they don't feel she has the game to dominate. That helps her.

As far as Petra, we'll see where the next 3 months-two years takes her?

- Caroline Wozniacki has never beaten a reigning world #1.
- Caroline Wozniacki has never beaten a top 5 player at a major.
- Caroline Wozniacki has not beaten a top 3 player en route to any of her 23 titles.
- Caroline Wozniacki has beaten two top 5 players en route to her 23 titles (#4 Zvonareva and #5 Schiavone)

-Her fans think she had very bad luck with her Grand Slam and Regular Tour draws.
Patrick345 is offline  
post #104 of 119 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2012, 09:04 PM
King
 
Viktymise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Flux
Posts: 27,837
                     
Re: Greg Garber(ESPN): "Petra Kvitova - the biggest disappointment"

Ludmila playing very well would beat Vuvuzenka on any surface, not just the one's where she has the obvious advantages. But she's barely played well all year.

I expect that there's still big things to come in the coming years. This year was meh, but she still made 2 slam SFs, and won a P5. If that's the disappointing bit then she's got nothing to worry about.

Grassonkova.
Viktymise is offline  
post #105 of 119 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2012, 09:09 PM
Senior Member
 
Cindy and Kate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 5,809
                     
Re: Greg Garber(ESPN): "Petra Kvitova - the biggest disappointment"

Biggest dissapointment, by what standars ?
That she isnt number one this year and hasnt won 4 GS ?
She is still number 5 in the world, two semis in GS, has won
two titles and earned over 2 million dollars in prize money this year.
all this plus having several injuries that have obviously affected her game.
People should leave her alone a bit,at least until next year, but I agree that fitness is a big issue
for her that she´ll have to sort out sooner or later.
Cindy and Kate is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome