Could Kournikova or Golovin have won a Grand Slam? - TennisForum.com
View Poll Results: Could they?
Yes, for sure. 14 23.33%
No. Never. 39 65.00%
Unsure. 7 11.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 73 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 2012, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Ciarán's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Salem, MA
Posts: 29,760
                     
Could Kournikova or Golovin have won a Grand Slam?

Having a bit of an argument with a fellow TF poster on MSN, who shall remain unnamed for the mean time as these claims are absolutely hysterical in my mind. He argues that had Kournikova and Golovin remained uninjured; they would have won 'at least a couple' of Grand Slams.

Your thoughts? I'm a resounding 'No. Never.'. While both were good players; there were at least 10 others capable of beating them easily at all times. They were miles behind the best of both of their respective generations. This is purely speculation, but in my mind, neither achieved anything close to even suggesting a Grand Slam title.


Paszek & Chakvetadze & Vaidisova & Sharapova & Pavlyuchenkova & Vekic.
Ciarán is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 73 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 2012, 09:37 PM
nothing else compares
 
Dav.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 19,566
                     
Re: Could Kournikova or Golovin have won a Grand Slam?

Well, considering the career Golovin had by her last healthy match (at age 19, ranked 12th with no points to defend) and the way in which the tour has evolved to one where teenagers achieve very little and those in their late 20s are peaking, she probably would have had a very established career. At most, one or two slams could have been possible. She never really was able to show her true potential since injuries kept her out of the tour most of the year (except 2004). No way to tell.

Kournikova's game wasn't improving since her teenage years so there is no way she would have won a large event.

Dav. is offline  
post #3 of 73 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 2012, 09:37 PM
Senior Member
 
Olórin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 13,822
                     
Re: Could Kournikova or Golovin have won a Grand Slam?

Kournikova: obviously not. She couldn't win a tier two title. And she played some of her best tennis in 1998 when the field was probably at one of its all-time weakest points. I suppose she could have if she'd been given Myskina's draw at the FO 2004, but so could have most top 10 players.

Impossible to tell with Golovin because her career ended so early, like Vaidisova. Might have won a slam (Schiavone did), might never have made another semi-final.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alla Luce View Post
(1)A lot is being made of the record Serena has vs Sharapova. It is being used as THE reason she will win again lol. Good thing we have players like Tomas Berdych (who had an even worse record vs Nadal) to remind us of the fallacy of this nonsense logic.
(2)You stans may as well sleep well tonight because tomorrow the a replay of Lucie's winning moment over and over again will haunt your dreams for weeks to come
(3)The stars have aligned perfectly for the upset of the 21st century. All the best Garbine
(4) There is no path to victory for Williams.Keys wins in straight easy sets.
Olórin is offline  
 
post #4 of 73 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 2012, 09:38 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 22,458
                     
Re: Could Kournikova or Golovin have won a Grand Slam?

Kournikova, yes, if she weren't challenged by Hingis, and before she became a total headcase.
Golovin-she probably would sneak one in, or become a bridesmaid.

BARBIE
is coming for your towel, too.



Keys
MakarovaBeguKasatkinaGavrilovaBarthelAllertovaPutintsevaKrisPliskovaKhromacheva
SmitkovaTownsendAbandaPuchkova

Tennis Fool is offline  
post #5 of 73 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 2012, 09:38 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 24,964
                     
Re: Could Kournikova or Golovin have won a Grand Slam?

Golovin? No chance.

Kournikova, if she had gotten past the mental block she had about winning tournaments? (A HUGE 'if') Still no. The players around same age as her were too good. But she'd have seen s few slam semis. Put it this way. She had as much talent as Myskina, so things could have fallen her way.

Proud to be an American
Not blind. Not uninformed. We are party to atrocities. But the response of the world after 9/11 is worth noting. Even our most dire enemies offered aid. We should all be so lucky.
Volcana is offline  
post #6 of 73 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 2012, 09:40 PM
nothing else compares
 
Dav.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 19,566
                     
Re: Could Kournikova or Golovin have won a Grand Slam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olórin View Post
Kournikova: obviously not. She couldn't win a tier two title. And she played some of her best tennis in 1998 when the field was probably at one of its all-time weakest points.

Impossible to tell with Golovin because her career ended so early, like Vaidisova. Might have won multiple slams, might never have made another semi-final.
Exactly.

It's kind of hard to answer the poll since it doesn't differentiate between the two and I only think one would...and is it saying "could?" Because the "Yes, for sure" makes it sound like it means they definitely would.


Last edited by Dav.; Sep 5th, 2012 at 10:11 PM.
Dav. is offline  
post #7 of 73 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 2012, 09:41 PM
Senior Member
 
BartoliBabes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Belfast
Posts: 2,320
                     
Re: Could Kournikova or Golovin have won a Grand Slam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Dauphin View Post
Having a bit of an argument with a fellow TF poster on MSN, who shall remain unnamed for the mean time as these claims are absolutely hysterical in my mind. He argues that had Kournikova and Golovin remained uninjured; they would have won 'at least a couple' of Grand Slams.

Your thoughts? I'm a resounding 'No. Never.'. While both were good players; there were at least 10 others capable of beating them easily at all times. They were miles behind the best of both of their respective generations. This is purely speculation, but in my mind, neither achieved anything close to even suggesting a Grand Slam title.
Kournikova couldn't win a singles title nevermind a grand slam

and Golovin never really showed much of a challenge either, she didn't make the top10 or advance further than a quarter-final of a grandslam

how someone can say something like that and be so assured about it is beyond me

Wimbledon Champion 2013
BartoliBabes is offline  
post #8 of 73 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 2012, 09:42 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 22,458
                     
Re: Could Kournikova or Golovin have won a Grand Slam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olórin View Post
Kournikova: obviously not. She couldn't win a tier two title. And she played some of her best tennis in 1998 when the field was probably at one of its all-time weakest points.

Impossible to tell with Golovin because her career ended so early, like Vaidisova. Might have won a slam (Schiavone did), might never have made another semi-final.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav. View Post
Exactly.
Wrong, it was Hingis who kept her from titles that year and in 1997. She was like Roddick to Federer.

BARBIE
is coming for your towel, too.



Keys
MakarovaBeguKasatkinaGavrilovaBarthelAllertovaPutintsevaKrisPliskovaKhromacheva
SmitkovaTownsendAbandaPuchkova

Tennis Fool is offline  
post #9 of 73 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 2012, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Ciarán's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Salem, MA
Posts: 29,760
                     
Re: Could Kournikova or Golovin have won a Grand Slam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav. View Post
Well, considering the career Golovin had by her last healthy match (at age 19) and the way in which the tour has evolved to one where teenagers achieve very little and those in their late 20s are peaking, she probably would have had a very established career. At most, one or two slams could have been possible. She never really was able to show her true potential since injuries kept her out of the tour most of the year (except 2004).

Kournikova's game wasn't improving since her teenage years so there is no way she would have won a large event.
Actually; she was of generation Kuznetsova, Sharapova, Ivanovic and a respective mention to non-slam winners Chakvetadze and Vaidisova who achieved a top 5 and top 10 rankings. All of these players achieved big at a young age (younger than when Tati retired).


Paszek & Chakvetadze & Vaidisova & Sharapova & Pavlyuchenkova & Vekic.
Ciarán is offline  
post #10 of 73 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 2012, 09:44 PM
nothing else compares
 
Dav.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 19,566
                     
Re: Could Kournikova or Golovin have won a Grand Slam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennis Fool View Post
Wrong, it was Hingis who kept her from titles that year and in 1997. She was like Roddick to Federer.
Yes, but, contrary to Golovin, Anna's game was declining so even if her back injury had not been chronic, she likely would not have had a career development.

Dav. is offline  
post #11 of 73 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 2012, 09:46 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 22,458
                     
Re: Could Kournikova or Golovin have won a Grand Slam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav. View Post
Yes, but, contrary to Golovin, Anna's game was declining so even if her back injury had not been chronic, she likely would not have had a career development.
Yeah, her chances were in 1997 and 1998, but it was still her window of opportunity if not for Hingis.

BARBIE
is coming for your towel, too.



Keys
MakarovaBeguKasatkinaGavrilovaBarthelAllertovaPutintsevaKrisPliskovaKhromacheva
SmitkovaTownsendAbandaPuchkova

Tennis Fool is offline  
post #12 of 73 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 2012, 09:46 PM
Senior Member
 
Olórin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 13,822
                     
Re: Could Kournikova or Golovin have won a Grand Slam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennis Fool View Post
Wrong, it was Hingis who kept her from titles that year and in 1997. She was like Roddick to Federer.
What is your point? You want us to go back in time and stop Hingis from being born. Thank god for Hingis otherwise the standard of play for the Grand Slams in 1997 would have been abominably low and players who couldn't even win ordinary titles with YEARS on the tour would have been getting their maiden titles at slams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alla Luce View Post
(1)A lot is being made of the record Serena has vs Sharapova. It is being used as THE reason she will win again lol. Good thing we have players like Tomas Berdych (who had an even worse record vs Nadal) to remind us of the fallacy of this nonsense logic.
(2)You stans may as well sleep well tonight because tomorrow the a replay of Lucie's winning moment over and over again will haunt your dreams for weeks to come
(3)The stars have aligned perfectly for the upset of the 21st century. All the best Garbine
(4) There is no path to victory for Williams.Keys wins in straight easy sets.
Olórin is offline  
post #13 of 73 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 2012, 09:47 PM
.
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 14,568
                     
Re: Could Kournikova or Golovin have won a Grand Slam?

I think Golovin would at least reach a few finals/semifinals for sure. She was really starting to break through in the 2007 indoor season. A real shame what happened to her
BlueTrees is offline  
post #14 of 73 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 2012, 09:48 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 22,458
                     
Re: Could Kournikova or Golovin have won a Grand Slam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olórin View Post
What is your point?
I think I've made my point, several times. I disagree with your point about the lack of depth on the tour in the late 1990s.

BARBIE
is coming for your towel, too.



Keys
MakarovaBeguKasatkinaGavrilovaBarthelAllertovaPutintsevaKrisPliskovaKhromacheva
SmitkovaTownsendAbandaPuchkova

Tennis Fool is offline  
post #15 of 73 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 2012, 09:50 PM
nothing else compares
 
Dav.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 19,566
                     
Re: Could Kournikova or Golovin have won a Grand Slam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTrees View Post
I think Golovin would at least reach a few finals/semifinals for sure. She was really starting to break through in the 2007 indoor season. A real shame what happened to her
And the reason her retirement age is important because you see players like Schiavone, Stosur and Li Na (who had nothing like the teenage career Tati did) winning slams and staying in the top-10 now. That's why you cannot say for certain she never would have won anything.

Dav. is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome