Venus Williams At The US Open: "Today I felt Like An American For The 1st Time." - TennisForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 95 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2012, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
jrollaneres25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Dallas, Texas Baby!
Posts: 6,937
                     
Venus Williams At The US Open: "Today I felt Like An American For The 1st Time."

I think that's a huge statement from Venus after losing to Kerber in the 3-set thriller. Kerber played well enough to win against Venus AND the American crowd.

I couldn't have said what Venus said any better!


1:55 in the Video


Venus also said that she "waited her whole Career for that moment in having the crowd support.

Although, there was one other time I remember Venus having Major crowd support in the 97 Semifinal against Spirlea and the famous "bump" incident.

Also when she played Henin in the 07 Semi's, she had a pretty good crowd response, but nothing like this past match!


Venus just needs to take her time and calm down and cut back on errors and she'll be fine. She has to start over

Quote:
Matthew 14:28 Then Peter called to him, “Lord, if it’s really you, tell me to come to you, walking on the water.”
29 “Yes, come,” Jesus said.
I am a pretty big Veeliver of Venus Williams, but I'm a FOLLOWER of

Jesus Christ!!
jrollaneres25 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 95 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2012, 02:38 PM
country flag JN
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicity, mayne
Posts: 26,386
                     
Re: Venus Williams At The US Open: "Today I felt Like An American For The 1st Time."

Speak on it, Vee!

Now just concentrate on winnin' that doubles trophy with your sister.
JN is offline  
post #3 of 95 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2012, 02:39 PM
Senior Member
 
Sammo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Self-made gilded cage
Posts: 33,964
                     
Re: Venus Williams At The US Open: "Today I felt Like An American For The 1st Time."

So she hadn't felt like an American before? That can only mean one thing... SHE IS A COMMUNIST NAZI!!!

The belief that man is an irresolute creature pulled this way and that by two forces of equal strength, alternately winning and losing the battle for his soul; the conviction that human life is nothing more than an uncertain struggle between heaven and hell; the faith in two opposed entities, Satan and Christ - all this was bound to engender those internal discords in which the mind, excited by the incessant fighting, stimulated as it were by the constant promises and threats, ends up by giving in and prostitutes itself to whichever of the two combatants has been more obstinate in its pursuit. Life isn't black and white, it's gold.
Sammo is offline  
post #4 of 95 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2012, 02:51 PM
Senior Member
 
Sammo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Self-made gilded cage
Posts: 33,964
                     
Re: Venus Williams At The US Open: "Today I felt Like An American For The 1st Time."

oliviasmith is a commi nazi too for badrepping me, there's a conspiration...

The belief that man is an irresolute creature pulled this way and that by two forces of equal strength, alternately winning and losing the battle for his soul; the conviction that human life is nothing more than an uncertain struggle between heaven and hell; the faith in two opposed entities, Satan and Christ - all this was bound to engender those internal discords in which the mind, excited by the incessant fighting, stimulated as it were by the constant promises and threats, ends up by giving in and prostitutes itself to whichever of the two combatants has been more obstinate in its pursuit. Life isn't black and white, it's gold.
Sammo is offline  
post #5 of 95 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2012, 02:53 PM
Senior Member
 
bobbynorwich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,184
                     
Re: Venus Williams At The US Open: "Today I felt Like An American For The 1st Time."

Venus is talking nonsense that she doesn't get fan support at the US Open, listen to the noisy and wildly cheering fans for her at the 2001 USO final:

bobbynorwich is offline  
post #6 of 95 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2012, 03:03 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 9,865
                     
Re: Venus Williams At The US Open: "Today I felt Like An American For The 1st Time."

"I know the feeling, sista V - holler"


Raiden is online now  
post #7 of 95 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2012, 03:04 PM
Senior Member
 
aloeball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,276
                     
Re: Venus Williams At The US Open: "Today I felt Like An American For The 1st Time."

The William sisters don't seem to get that much support especially at home - in comparison to other players when they're playing at home.

The crowd goes wild behind Hewitt, Stosur and Molik, every point theyre loud cheers.

But when I watch Serena's matches, 14 slam titles and counting, the support is not as tremendous. I find this really odd.

serena WILLIAMS; petra KVITOVA; simona HALEP
aloeball is offline  
post #8 of 95 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2012, 03:04 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 10
 
Re: Venus Williams At The US Open: "Today I felt Like An American For The 1st Time."

I think she forgot her match with Jankovic in 2007
Kon[GS]illiams is offline  
post #9 of 95 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2012, 03:41 PM
Senior Member
 
nfl46's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,495
 
Re: Venus Williams At The US Open: "Today I felt Like An American For The 1st Time."

Thats why I don't think Venus should retire...because she's NOT getting destroyed by people. Venus would probably make it further in Grand Slams if she didn't met top players very early in the tournaments. She's actually beating some top players. Andy on the other hand, this guy loses like 1st or 2nd round every tournament now a days. Definitely not a shock he's retiring.

Serena - 22 Grand Slam Titles -- 71 Singles Titles -- World Rank: #1 | 2016 Record - (31-4) 89%
Venus - 7 Grand Slam Titles -- 49 Singles Titles -- World Rank: #6 | 2016 Record - (21-9) 70%
nfl46 is offline  
post #10 of 95 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2012, 03:57 PM
Senior Member
 
mykarma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,199
                     
Re: Venus Williams At The US Open: "Today I felt Like An American For The 1st Time."

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbynorwich View Post
Venus is talking nonsense that she doesn't get fan support at the US Open, listen to the noisy and wildly cheering fans for her at the 2001 USO final:

No she's not and what would she have to gain from lying. One of the commentators said as much and it's not the first one to ever make the same statement.

Before you speak to me about your religion, first show it to me in how you treat other people; before you tell me how much you love your God, show me in how much you love all His children; before you preach to me of your passion for your faith, teach me about it through your compassion for your neighbors. In the end, I'm not as interested in what you have to tell or sell as in how you choose to live and give.

Cory Booker
mykarma is offline  
post #11 of 95 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2012, 04:01 PM
*Sesil*
 
KournikovaFan91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Éire
Posts: 19,749
                     
Re: Venus Williams At The US Open: "Today I felt Like An American For The 1st Time."

Fox News will go freaking crazy, Venus is clearly a communist now in their eyes who hates America
KournikovaFan91 is offline  
post #12 of 95 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2012, 04:04 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,265
                     
Re: Venus Williams At The US Open: "Today I felt Like An American For The 1st Time."

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfl46 View Post
Thats why I don't think Venus should retire...because she's NOT getting destroyed by people. Venus would probably make it further in Grand Slams if she didn't met top players very early in the tournaments. She's actually beating some top players. Andy on the other hand, this guy loses like 1st or 2nd round every tournament now a days. Definitely not a shock he's retiring.
Vesnina destroyed her at Wimbledon. Her losses to Radwanska weren't competitive either.
Celestial is offline  
post #13 of 95 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2012, 04:14 PM
Sabatini lover Forever
 
spencercarlos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Venezuela
Posts: 15,130
                     
Re: Venus Williams At The US Open: "Today I felt Like An American For The 1st Time."

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrollaneres25 View Post
I think that's a huge statement from Venus after losing to Kerber in the 3-set thriller. Kerber played well enough to win against Venus AND the American crowd.

I couldn't have said what Venus said any better!


1:55 in the Video


Venus also said that she "waited her whole Career for that moment in having the crowd support.

Although, there was one other time I remember Venus having Major crowd support in the 97 Semifinal against Spirlea and the famous "bump" incident.

Also when she played Henin in the 07 Semi's, she had a pretty good crowd response, but nothing like this past match!


Venus just needs to take her time and calm down and cut back on errors and she'll be fine. She has to start over
Please Venus you had the whole crowd supporting you back in 1997 in all matches...

Gabriela Sabatini 2006 HOF
18 Grand Slam SF´s, Won 27 titles, 1 GS Sin, 1 GS in Dubs,2 Masters
Sabatini vs Martinez ?
Seasons in the top ten: Sabatini 10 Conchita 9
Straight Seasons in the top ten: Sabatini 10 Conchita 6
Seasons in the top 5: Sabatini 6 Conchita 5
Straight seasons in the top 5: Sabatini 6 Conchita 4
Tier II and above titles
Sabatini 24 Martinez 17
Record at the Masters
Sabatini has 2 titles 2 Runner up and 3 SF
Martinez has 0 titles, 0 RU, and 0 Sf
Record against the best players
Sabatini 40% Martinez 21%
Head to Head
Sabatini leads 9-6 over Martinez
FWTT Hard 111(111 + ny)Carpet 104(104 + ny)Clay 107(107 + 4) Grass 100(100 ny)
spencercarlos is offline  
post #14 of 95 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2012, 04:25 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,955
                     
Re: Venus Williams At The US Open: "Today I felt Like An American For The 1st Time."

Venus is right.

It's funny that she said that because I watched Venus play at the BOW in 2001, and I was blown away by the support and cheers for her opponent. I also just watched Serena at the BOW a few months ago and the support for her opponent was just huge.

There are a lot of white people who still root for the opponent and not the sisters.

It did my heart good to hear them chanting Venus' name like that. They have NEVER gotten the type of support that Andre Aggassi or Pete Sampras got, or an Andy Roddick.

Venus will be okay. She just needs to fire David Witt because he has not been effective in getting Venus to change her service technique and to perfect her first and second serve. She needs to hire Pete Sampras to get that serve working. Venus needs a new voice in her ear because her serve is still the same and she's losing to players she should not be losing too.

If Maria and Na can bring on new people to give them a different perspective of their game, then Venus needs to do the same.
Foxy is offline  
post #15 of 95 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2012, 04:33 PM
Senior Member
 
jean_genie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Kashmir
Posts: 4,588
                     
Re: Venus Williams At The US Open: "Today I felt Like An American For The 1st Time."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
Venus is right.

It's funny that she said that because I watched Venus play at the BOW in 2001, and I was blown away by the support and cheers for her opponent. I also just watched Serena at the BOW a few months ago and the support for her opponent was just huge.

There are a lot of white people who still root for the opponent and not the sisters.

It did my heart good to hear them chanting Venus' name like that. They have NEVER gotten the type of support that Andre Aggassi or Pete Sampras got, or an Andy Roddick.

Venus will be okay. She just needs to fire David Witt because he has not been effective in getting Venus to change her service technique and to perfect her first and second serve. She needs to hire Pete Sampras to get that serve working. Venus needs a new voice in her ear because her serve is still the same and she's losing to players she should not be losing too.

If Maria and Na can bring on new people to give them a different perspective of their game, then Venus needs to do the same.
This. And if you want a match at the USOpen where the crowd openly cheered for her opponent, just watch the 2002 semi against Mauresmo.

strung out on lasers and slash back blazers ******** My Blog
jean_genie is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome