How many USA women will make R3? - TennisForum.com
View Poll Results: How many USA women will make 3R?
1 -2 12 25.00%
3 - 4 16 33.33%
5 - 6 15 31.25%
7 - 8 2 4.17%
9 -10 3 6.25%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2012, 03:05 AM Thread Starter
country flag pov
Senior Member
 
pov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 29,975
                     
How many USA women will make R3?

What say ye?

Mulder: "So you're agreeing with me?"
Scully "No! You're bat-crap crazy."


Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.
pov is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2012, 03:11 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 10,180
                     
Re: How many USA women will make R3?

if you look at the draw, you would see that having only one American moving onto R2 would be impossible
Brad[le]y. is offline  
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2012, 03:11 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 105
                     
Re: How many USA women will make R3?

4
Serena,McHale,Mattek Sands Glatch beating injured Flavia
GO李娜 is offline  
 
post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2012, 03:17 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,237
                     
Re: How many USA women will make R3?

5

V&S Williams

Americans
Vwilliamsfan1 is offline  
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2012, 03:21 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 40,129
                     
Re: How many USA women will make R3?

at least 5

Mattek-Sands is playing Stephens in next round, whihc is unfortunate

Last edited by tennislover22; May 29th, 2012 at 03:27 AM.
tennislover22 is offline  
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2012, 03:33 AM Thread Starter
country flag pov
Senior Member
 
pov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 29,975
                     
Re: How many USA women will make R3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinaH_4ever View Post
if you look at the draw, you would see that having only one American moving onto R2 would be impossible
Just answer the poll.

Mulder: "So you're agreeing with me?"
Scully "No! You're bat-crap crazy."


Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.
pov is offline  
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2012, 03:40 AM
it's just me against the music.
 
In The Zone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 26,673
                     
Re: How many USA women will make R3?

4 is the safest answer (Venus defeating Aga, Serena, McHale, Stephens) but I think we will see Lepchenko (defeating Jankovic) and Glatch (defeating Pennetta) advance as well.

I'll go with 6. 7 if you include Sharapova.
In The Zone is offline  
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2012, 03:42 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,760
                     
Re: How many USA women will make R3?

5, Jankovic is going down.

Venus Ebone Starr


Serena Williams

Madison Keys

Hantuchova
Tennisstar86 is offline  
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2012, 03:44 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,760
                     
Re: How many USA women will make R3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Zone View Post
4 is the safest answer (Venus defeating Aga, Serena, McHale, Stephens) but I think we will see Lepchenko (defeating Jankovic) and Glatch (defeating Pennetta) advance as well.

I'll go with 6. 7 if you include Sharapova.

Venus Ebone Starr


Serena Williams

Madison Keys

Hantuchova
Tennisstar86 is offline  
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2012, 03:49 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 40,129
                     
Re: How many USA women will make R3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Zone View Post
4 is the safest answer (Venus defeating Aga, Serena, McHale, Stephens) but I think we will see Lepchenko (defeating Jankovic) and Glatch (defeating Pennetta) advance as well.

I'll go with 6. 7 if you include Sharapova.
It si time to call Maria an American, whether her fan like it or not.
I mean, the girls curses and chears herself on in English; this is the essence of who she is as a tennis player.

She visits with Queen Mother Oracene, not Queen Mother Vera
tennislover22 is offline  
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2012, 04:20 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,187
                     
Re: How many USA women will make R3?

Obviously Mattek-Sands v. Stephens and McHale v. Davis matches guarantee at least two Americans in the third round. Add Serena because she should be a cinch for the third round. Actually Serena’s 2nd opponent is likely to be Jamie Hampton who should complete the 12-0 US first round sweep, and thus there must be the presence of at least three Americans in the 3rd round.

After that should there be one more American then there would have to be an upset at least on paper. Probably the best opportunity would be Varvara Lepchenko against JJ. We all know that JJ has stank the tennis courts of the WTA something awful for quite some time now and if this were a first round match I would pick Varvara. But this is a 2nd round match so that JJ has cleared the hurdle of the 1st rd blues and clearly she is the better player.

There are a lot of posters herein who like Venus chances against Radwanska but I think that is just wishful thinking. For Venus to win it would take a major upset but that then major upsets do occasionally occur in sports generally and in women’s tennis particularly.

I’ve seen Vania King play and she does have lots of ability and should prove to be a tough opponent for Cibulkova, but the latter is the more experienced and definitely the better player.

The other three Americans have no chance whatsoever. I’ve never seen Alexa Glatch play but I understand she is ranked 190th and she has equaled her best slams result. Melanie Oudin’s first round win was an upset considering her career since her remarkable run in the ’09 US Open and thus will present no challenge to Errani. I’ve seen Falconi play once; the ’12 US Open against Sabine Lisicki. She was trounced 6-0, 6-1 and the match was even more lopsided than such score would suggest. As Stosur is a better player than Lisicki, I would not be surprised that Irina does not even get to a game point on any of her service never mind seeing a break point. A double bagel loss is a good bet.

In conclusion, optimistically I can see four Americans in rd 3 (one of Venus or King or Varvara winning) but realistically it will only be three.
tkutsaar is offline  
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2012, 04:24 AM
Diabolical
 
Charlatan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 6,425
                     
Re: How many USA women will make R3?

Maria Sharapova always in the center of attention in threads no matter what

Truly the TF star

Quote:
Originally Posted by JN View Post
TF is full of player stans not tennis fans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Erica View Post
Well, at least Simona was able to beat Serena once, Maria... never good enough to do that.
Charlatan is offline  
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2012, 04:51 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,417
                     
Re: How many USA women will make R3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkutsaar View Post
Obviously Mattek-Sands v. Stephens and McHale v. Davis matches guarantee at least two Americans in the third round. Add Serena because she should be a cinch for the third round. Actually Serena’s 2nd opponent is likely to be Jamie Hampton who should complete the 12-0 US first round sweep, and thus there must be the presence of at least three Americans in the 3rd round.

After that should there be one more American then there would have to be an upset at least on paper. Probably the best opportunity would be Varvara Lepchenko against JJ. We all know that JJ has stank the tennis courts of the WTA something awful for quite some time now and if this were a first round match I would pick Varvara. But this is a 2nd round match so that JJ has cleared the hurdle of the 1st rd blues and clearly she is the better player.

There are a lot of posters herein who like Venus chances against Radwanska but I think that is just wishful thinking. For Venus to win it would take a major upset but that then major upsets do occasionally occur in sports generally and in women’s tennis particularly.

I’ve seen Vania King play and she does have lots of ability and should prove to be a tough opponent for Cibulkova, but the latter is the more experienced and definitely the better player.

The other three Americans have no chance whatsoever. I’ve never seen Alexa Glatch play but I understand she is ranked 190th and she has equaled her best slams result. Melanie Oudin’s first round win was an upset considering her career since her remarkable run in the ’09 US Open and thus will present no challenge to Errani. I’ve seen Falconi play once; the ’12 US Open against Sabine Lisicki. She was trounced 6-0, 6-1 and the match was even more lopsided than such score would suggest. As Stosur is a better player than Lisicki, I would not be surprised that Irina does not even get to a game point on any of her service never mind seeing a break point. A double bagel loss is a good bet.

In conclusion, optimistically I can see four Americans in rd 3 (one of Venus or King or Varvara winning) but realistically it will only be three.
I agree with you on the bolded part, it's amazing how Veenuts have stronger belief than Oudin when a Radwanska win is actually the more realistic outcome, not to say believing is wrong but it borders on delusion if you ask me

I can see Stephens, ReeRee, McHale and Lepchenko(just because she's facing Jankovic of all people) making R3. So my answer is 4
Vuvurenka is offline  
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2012, 05:03 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 40,129
                     
Re: How many USA women will make R3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vuvurenka View Post
I agree with you on the bolded part, it's amazing how Veenuts have stronger belief than Oudin when a Radwanska win is actually the more realistic outcome, not to say believing is wrong but it borders on delusion if you ask me
Well, if she beat Stosur, she can certainly beat Aga.
I know the word "delusion" is fast becoming a catch-all word on this TF, but this is Venus, physicially diminished or not, she still can manage to win matches.
tennislover22 is offline  
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2012, 05:30 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: usa
Posts: 1,411
                     
Re: How many USA women will make R3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vuvurenka View Post
I agree with you on the bolded part, it's amazing how Veenuts have stronger belief than Oudin when a Radwanska win is actually the more realistic outcome, not to say believing is wrong but it borders on delusion if you ask me

I can see Stephens, ReeRee, McHale and Lepchenko(just because she's facing Jankovic of all people) making R3. So my answer is 4




Hilarious post.





Venus already beat 2 top 5 players just after a few tournaments back, so beating Aga is quite possible, although Venus is still considered an underdog in this match up, due to her health problem and aging. Aga is only slightly favoured in this encounter, thanks to being playing her best tennis at the moment. It's funny how some TF "experts" like to look down to a champion, talking foolishly like things are written in stones, despite the outcomes of those matches are unpredictable, especially in these cases. It's Aga playing Venus, not Yakimova or Oudin. No offense to the laters.




Seeing how your deep understanding of the word " delusion", unlikely anyone will ask for your inputs, so don't worry about that . ( unless you are just willing to dump those of yours here anyway).
dragonflies is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome