WTA starts to take action against grunters, Wozniacki agrees. - Page 5 - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 185 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2011, 04:03 PM
Checked my facts before posting..
 
Jimmie48's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 24,242
                     
Re: WTA starts to take action against grunters, Wozniacki agrees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domachokeska View Post
Who even asks Caro? she will be irrelevant soon
It's so obvious that you can't even convince yourself, yet alone others
Jimmie48 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 185 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2011, 04:03 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 4,352
                     
Re: WTA starts to take action against grunters, Wozniacki agrees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromatolite View Post
You don't stop cleaning up your own house just because your neighbours live in a pigsty. You do what you can. And when I last looked the guys and the girls are competing on separate tours
maybe so, but like i said it wouldnt be fair to ask the ladies to stop and allow the men to keep doing it.
misty1 is offline  
post #63 of 185 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Let's have a kiki!
 
Adrian.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dahoam
Posts: 99,191
                     
Re: WTA starts to take action against grunters, Wozniacki agrees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie48 View Post
It's so obvious that you can't even convince yourself, yet alone others
I don't have to convince others, Kvitova will do that today for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim. View Post
Du findest es also schlimmer, wenn hier etwas gequatscht wird als wenn im Nazithread gegen Flüchtlinge gehetzt wird? Damit setzt ihr ein klares Zeichen. Mein Vorschlag wäre: Bestimmt einen zweiten Mod für dieses Forum, dann kann sich einer um die furchtbaren Vergehen im FC-Thread kümmern und der andere um den Nazithread.
Adrian. is offline  
post #64 of 185 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2011, 04:04 PM
#toominogueforyou
 
John.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 19,158
                     
Re: WTA starts to take action against grunters, Wozniacki agrees.

I can't believe people are defending grunting. It's the single worst thing about watching women's tennis.
John. is offline  
post #65 of 185 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2011, 04:06 PM
country flag pov
Senior Member
 
pov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 22,531
                     
Wozniacki's sour-grapes whining about grunting

It's been the first thing in her pro-life that I consider a big thumbs-down.

http://tennis.com/thespin/thedailyspin/index.aspx
Honestly, was Wednesday's "top" story in women's tennis more about other players' grunting or Caroline Wozniacki's whining?

We need to talk about grunting. Except that, really, nope, we don't. This subject seems a tired trope, fanned by the media. Most players say it hardly affects them. So it's odd when the freshly cemented year-end No. 1 opts to take on grunting as an allegedly timely on-court issue. At the season closing championships. In Istanbul. As if it hasn't been the case all year.

This just in: Victoria Azarenka, Maria Sharapova, Petra Kvitova, and others are hardly WTA upstarts. And whether they clamor with a shriek-y cadence (Sharapova), yelp post-point—even on opponents' errors (Kvitova), or, worst, coo all the way through their foes' next shots (Azarenka), players largely pay it small mind. Whether the tennis is played indoors or outside, there remains nothing new under the sun.

Thus for all of her consistency and her patented dearth of unforced errors on court, the shot that Wozniacki took here was poorly timed. It came on a day when her headline should have revolved around that year-end No. 1 status, something no female player has managed twice in a row since Justine Henin in the mid-2000s, and a feat that no other active woman has pulled off twice aside from Serena Williams herself (2002, 2009). Instead, Wozniacki—in cahoots with the media—changed the narrative. And to what exactly? "Wozniacki Says Players Grunt 'On Purpose.'" How terrifically boring.

Well, at least the UK's Telegraph had fun with it. That paper counted down the arguable Top 10 grunters of all time. I repeat: Who doesn't love lists? Michelle Larcher de Brito owes her notoriety entirely to the most heinous sound every uttered on a tennis court, but the player who counts her truly counts her lucky stars to be included on the rundown (gruntdown?) is one Elena Bovina. (To those thinking, "Who?" ... enjoy

Notably bringing up the rear at No. 10 on that well-Telegraphed list was none other than Elena Dementieva, who I affectionately dubbed Demented for that unsightly but endearing serve toss and general headcasing. When she retired at 2010's WTA year-end championships in Doha, oh, tennis fans' collective viscera did groan.



Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
- Martin Luther King, Jr.
pov is offline  
post #66 of 185 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2011, 04:11 PM
Senior Member
 
stromatolite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,490
                     
Re: WTA starts to take action against grunters, Wozniacki agrees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misty1 View Post
then how do you explain players like serena or kim for example who seem to have no problem at all in handling these players that grunt

it might affect some players but then why wouldnt it affect them all the same way?

and what about those cases of players who tried to stop and then suffered because of it? there's obviously more to it than a simple fairytale as you claimed
Some people also handle Serena's serve quite well, so citing a few players who say they don't mind grunting proves nothing. And btw when it suits her Serena can turn on the grunts herself, so it would be pretty hypocritical if she suddenly started complaining about it. And to be perfectly honest, I would hope that the grunters were inconvenienced by having to stop. It's nobody's fault but theirs that they decided to become a grunter. They have probably won a few tight matches in key stages of their careers because of their grunting, so why should I weep for them if they do slightly less well for a while weaning themselves off the habit?
stromatolite is online now  
post #67 of 185 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2011, 04:18 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 4,352
                     
Re: WTA starts to take action against grunters, Wozniacki agrees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromatolite View Post
Some people also handle Serena's serve quite well, so citing a few players who say they don't mind grunting proves nothing. And btw when it suits her Serena can turn on the grunts herself, so it would be pretty hypocritical if she suddenly started complaining about it. And to be perfectly honest, I would hope that the grunters were inconvenienced by having to stop. It's nobody's fault but theirs that they decided to become a grunter. They have probably won a few tight matches in key stages of their careers because of their grunting, so why should I weep for them if they do slightly less well for a while weaning themselves off the habit?
but the fact that the grunt doesnt affect everyone says something. If the grunting really had a negative affect on players then you'd think it would affect everyone in a way. why are some players seemingly completey thrown while others have no problem with it at all

and comparing it with the serve of serena really isnt a fair comparison. the serve is about so much more things other than pure power.

some players have come to adapt to the serena serve and found a way to deal with it, they can certainly find a way to deal with grunting.

you find a way to cope with whatever habits your opponent has
misty1 is offline  
post #68 of 185 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2011, 04:18 PM
Checked my facts before posting..
 
Jimmie48's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 24,242
                     
Re: WTA starts to take action against grunters, Wozniacki agrees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domachokeska View Post
I don't have to convince others, Kvitova will do that today for me
Uh, I have news for you: Even if Caro loses today she's still #1 and that makes her more relevant that pretty much all other players out there, sorry
Jimmie48 is offline  
post #69 of 185 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2011, 04:22 PM
La nuit je mens
 
Soliloque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 77,217
                     
Re: Wozniacki's sour-grapes whining about grunting

Woz is a whining and boring person, no surprise here. She knows her time is done despite that number one place. We all saw what happened during the last 6 months. She's done and she can't accept it. So she did the exact same thing that she does during a match when she get in troubles, she whined. She better goes back to her kangaroo fantasies, embarassing herself without looking for trouble.

Pierre-Hugues Herbert - Rafael Nadal - Jeremy Chardy - Thomaz Bellucci - Tommy Robredo - Aljaz Bedene - Simone Bolelli - Pablo Andujar - Lucas Pouille - Ivan Dodig - Nikoloz Basilashvili - Kenny De Schepper - Daniel Brands - Benjamin Mitchell - Maxime Chazal - Jonathan Eysseric - Maxime Teixeira - Noah Rubin - Marc Giner - Adrien Puget - Enzo Couacaud - Ante Pavic - Marcos Giron - David Vega Hernandez
Victoria Azarenka - Simona Halep - Angelique Kerber - Caroline Garcia - Kristina Mladenovic - Clothilde De Bernardi - Tessah Andrianjafitrimo


I only lied cause I didn't want to say the truth
Soliloque is offline  
post #70 of 185 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2011, 04:23 PM
Checked my facts before posting..
 
Jimmie48's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 24,242
                     
Re: Wozniacki's sour-grapes whining about grunting

Really? Another topic for this? If you check out the bigger topic on this issue, you`ll see that most people agree with her. But of course since Caro said it it has to be outrageous... get a life.
Jimmie48 is offline  
post #71 of 185 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2011, 04:25 PM
La nuit je mens
 
Soliloque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 77,217
                     
Re: Wozniacki's sour-grapes whining about grunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie48 View Post
Really? Another topic for this? If you check out the bigger topic on this issue, you`ll see that most people agree with her. But of course since Caro said it it has to be outrageous... get a life.
We all agree with her about grunting but that's not the problem. Why bringing this subject now, during the last week of the year ?

I call attention whore.

Pierre-Hugues Herbert - Rafael Nadal - Jeremy Chardy - Thomaz Bellucci - Tommy Robredo - Aljaz Bedene - Simone Bolelli - Pablo Andujar - Lucas Pouille - Ivan Dodig - Nikoloz Basilashvili - Kenny De Schepper - Daniel Brands - Benjamin Mitchell - Maxime Chazal - Jonathan Eysseric - Maxime Teixeira - Noah Rubin - Marc Giner - Adrien Puget - Enzo Couacaud - Ante Pavic - Marcos Giron - David Vega Hernandez
Victoria Azarenka - Simona Halep - Angelique Kerber - Caroline Garcia - Kristina Mladenovic - Clothilde De Bernardi - Tessah Andrianjafitrimo


I only lied cause I didn't want to say the truth
Soliloque is offline  
post #72 of 185 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2011, 04:28 PM
you're all sluts
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 10,656
                     
Re: WTA starts to take action against grunters, Wozniacki agrees.

"I don't mind it when it's Rafa"



Mary Cherry. is offline  
post #73 of 185 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2011, 04:29 PM
Checked my facts before posting..
 
Jimmie48's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 24,242
                     
Re: Wozniacki's sour-grapes whining about grunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del_Marquis View Post
We all agree with her about grunting but that's not the problem. Why bringing this subject now, during the last week of the year ?

I call attention whore.
Most likely because she was asked about her opinion, I doubt she woke up one morning and called the press just to get this off her chest.

I call that you`re deluded.
Jimmie48 is offline  
post #74 of 185 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2011, 04:29 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,210
                     
Re: Wozniacki's sour-grapes whining about grunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del_Marquis View Post
We all agree with her about grunting but that's not the problem. Why bringing this subject now, during the last week of the year ?

I call attention whore.
So you're saying that out of the blue Caroline arranged a presser to raise the issue?

"In time we hate that which we often fear." WS
“Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.” Plato
Burisleif is offline  
post #75 of 185 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2011, 04:30 PM
Senior Member
 
stromatolite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,490
                     
Re: WTA starts to take action against grunters, Wozniacki agrees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misty1 View Post
but the fact that the grunt doesnt affect everyone says something. If the grunting really had a negative affect on players then you'd think it would affect everyone in a way. why are some players seemingly completey thrown while others have no problem with it at all

and comparing it with the serve of serena really isnt a fair comparison. the serve is about so much more things other than pure power.
I made the comparison with Serena's serve precisely to illustrate the point that different things affect different players differently. The fact that some players handle her serve quite well doesn't mean that the players who don't are only imagining that it's a good serve. And I don't know what your point about power is, I made no statement at all about what it is that makes Serena's serve so good because that's totally irrelevant to this discussion.


Quote:
Originally Posted by misty1 View Post
some players have come to adapt to the serena serve and found a way to deal with it, they can certainly find a way to deal with grunting. There are other on court habits that could be viewed as just as obnoxious such as on court stalling, abusing the time out rule and applauding the opponents erros

you find a way to cope with whatever habits your opponent has
Why should they have to deal with the grunting? Unlike Serena's serve it's got nothing to do with tennis skill, it's simply an aggravating distraction. If anyone starts campaigning to force Serena to serve left-handed from now on because she otherwise has too much advantage over other players, I'll be the first to sign a petition opposing that. And those other bad on-court behaviours could and should be policed better as well, but that is not the topic of this thread.
stromatolite is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome