Live Commentary Thread - TennisForum.com
Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5179 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2011, 06:52 AM Thread Starter
This is my fancy user title
 
~CANUCK~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 9,088
                     
Live Commentary Thread

This thread will be opened on a trial basis; if all goes well we may allow it to stay.

It is to be used for live commentary for matches, be very clear this is not a live scoring thread.

This will be used as the official thread, new threads are not to be created for each match, this will result in the closure of this thread.

Enjoy!!

Last edited by Lefty.; Aug 25th, 2011 at 07:30 AM.
~CANUCK~ is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 5179 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2011, 07:14 AM
Senior Member
 
Misty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 728
                     
Re: Live Commentary Thread

That's a good point!
All live matches in one thread is a blessing!
Misty is offline  
post #3 of 5179 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2011, 07:38 AM
Senior Member
 
InsideOut.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Anapolis Asylum
Posts: 19,595
                     
Re: Live Commentary Thread

What's the difference between a live commentary thread and a live scoring thread? As in we can't say the score?

Waiting for Ana Ivanovic to just retire already .
Justine Henin. Amelie Mauresmo. Francesca Schiavone.
InsideOut. is offline  
post #4 of 5179 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2011, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
This is my fancy user title
 
~CANUCK~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 9,088
                     
Re: Live Commentary Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut. View Post
What's the difference between a live commentary thread and a live scoring thread? As in we can't say the score?
Live Scoring = new post for each point.
Live comentary = posts about the level of play/how many people in the stands/about the tactics of a match and so on. If someone mentions the score its fine, but we do not want this thread to turn into a glorified scoring thread.
~CANUCK~ is offline  
post #5 of 5179 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2011, 08:30 AM
Senior Member
 
ElusiveChanteuse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 83,200
                     
Re: Live Commentary Thread

ElusiveChanteuse is offline  
post #6 of 5179 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2011, 08:40 AM
Senior Member
 
InsideOut.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Anapolis Asylum
Posts: 19,595
                     
Re: Live Commentary Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~CANUCK~ View Post
Live Scoring = new post for each point.
Live comentary = posts about the level of play/how many people in the stands/about the tactics of a match and so on. If someone mentions the score its fine, but we do not want this thread to turn into a glorified scoring thread.
So I'll surmise that discussing things like fistpump frequency, ball-bouncing tactis, grunt loudness, racquet destruction, ballboy abuse and temper tantrums should be allowed as well. I think I'll enjoy this one.

Waiting for Ana Ivanovic to just retire already .
Justine Henin. Amelie Mauresmo. Francesca Schiavone.
InsideOut. is offline  
post #7 of 5179 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2011, 08:45 AM
Senior Member
 
Svetlana)))'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,955
                     
Re: Live Commentary Thread

+1
Svetlana))) is online now  
post #8 of 5179 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2011, 10:41 AM
Senior Member
 
Purple_Rain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,826
                     
Re: Live Commentary Thread

I prefer the current format. Having live scoring/commentary on the specific tournament forum attracts more users to that forum, which encourages participation in games (PYW, FITD, etc.) and threads discussing live streams, TF folks attending the tournament, etc. Without those "OOP and Scores" threads, I would probably be on GM all the time. GM is too cluttered as it is, while specific tournament forums aren't nearly active enough.

If we're going to have a live commentary thread, why exclude live scoring? Where will we go to post scores? If someone is following the match exclusively through TF (i.e. no access to Livescore or a stream), they'll need to have two threads open in order to receive complete coverage of the match(es). Currently, they only need one.

Tsvetana PironkovaSabine LisickiMaria Sharapova
Christina McHaleZheng JieMaria Kirilenko
Laura RobsonPetra KvitovaDominika Cibulkova
~~~
Special Mention: Jarka Gajdosova, queen headcase of the WTA
Purple_Rain is offline  
post #9 of 5179 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2011, 10:46 AM
★ ★ ★ ★ ★
 
Jonathan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,112
                     
Re: Live Commentary Thread


──────────────── ♛ ────────────────
VICTORIA AZARENKA
Jonathan is offline  
post #10 of 5179 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2011, 11:08 AM
Senior Member
 
Corswandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 12 o'clock high
Posts: 13,847
                     
Re: Live Commentary Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple_Rain View Post
I prefer the current format. Having live scoring/commentary on the specific tournament forum attracts more users to that forum, which encourages participation in games (PYW, FITD, etc.) and threads discussing live streams, TF folks attending the tournament, etc. Without those "OOP and Scores" threads, I would probably be on GM all the time. GM is too cluttered as it is, while specific tournament forums aren't nearly active enough.

If we're going to have a live commentary thread, why exclude live scoring? Where will we go to post scores? If someone is following the match exclusively through TF (i.e. no access to Livescore or a stream), they'll need to have two threads open in order to receive complete coverage of the match(es). Currently, they only need one.
All of this, plus it's nearly impossible to draw the line between "live commentary" and pure "livescoring".

I sort of understand where people are coming from when they asked for this; they want to be able to comment on the matches while they are being played without having their comments buried under a flood of cheering/scoring posts. Personally, I never had any problems with that; TF livescoring threads can be surprisingly quiet at times.

Kvitova * Garcia * Dodin * Robson


Eu Jogo Ténis


Prokofiev + Son Goku = pwnage
Corswandt is offline  
post #11 of 5179 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2011, 11:50 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,878
                     
Re: Live Commentary Thread

Where is the live scoring thread?
!VamosRafa! is offline  
post #12 of 5179 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2011, 11:50 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 4,556
                     
Re: Live Commentary Thread

Finally
Lucemferre is offline  
post #13 of 5179 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2011, 12:21 PM
Senior Member
 
hdfb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 8,684
                     
Re: Live Commentary Thread

Just in time for some USO Drama

And if your life were gold, how long do you think you'd stay living?
hdfb is offline  
post #14 of 5179 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2011, 12:34 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,640
                     
Re: Live Commentary Thread

yayyyy I was wondering why we didn't have one.

sharapova barty dokic duval hingis lisicki pliskovas robson venus
Steven. is offline  
post #15 of 5179 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2011, 12:44 PM
PharMaria Co. CFO
 
tejmeglekvár's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 13,787
                     
Re: Live Commentary Thread

kinda good and bad idea. Dont know yet exactly.
will Mods move all random opened threads into this during matches?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corswandt View Post
All of this, plus it's nearly impossible to draw the line between "live commentary" and pure "livescoring".

I sort of understand where people are coming from when they asked for this; they want to be able to comment on the matches while they are being played without having their comments buried under a flood of cheering/scoring posts. Personally, I never had any problems with that; TF livescoring threads can be surprisingly quiet at times.
the apathy, i guess.
also twitter and such killing oldschool internet well.

The Queen of Screams
tejmeglekvár is offline  
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome