I miss pre-shoulder injury Pova - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 154 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2011, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
JJ all the way's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Costa Rica
Posts: 2,799
                     
I miss pre-shoulder injury Pova

Now that the US Open is approaching us, people are naming their favorites and Pova is definitely up there. That made me want to watch some of her classics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eAb36h5Rbc
AO 2008 v Henin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUtSK19Wyxo
2008 Ao v. Davenport

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIUQNTqNctU
USO 2006 v. Henin

Watching these matches, I realized how amazing Pova was back then. There was a sense of reliability with her shots, her serve, an ultimately her winning big matches. Pre-shoulder injury Pova would have owned Petkovic, Kvitova, Wozniaki, Li Na and Azarenka in my opinion. Now, she is completely relying on her mental fortitude to win matches.

Will pre-shoulder injury Pova ever be back?

Sharapova & Pavlyuchenkova
JJ all the way is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 154 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2011, 03:35 PM
Senior Member
 
Just Do It's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 47,545
                     
Re: I miss pre-shoulder injury Pova

Maria's AO 2008 win was spectacular, doubt she will ever repeat something like that ...
Just Do It is offline  
post #3 of 154 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2011, 03:36 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 99
                     
Re: I miss pre-shoulder injury Pova

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ all the way View Post
Now that the US Open is approaching us, people are naming their favorites and Pova is definitely up there. That made me want to watch some of her classics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eAb36h5Rbc
AO 2008 v Henin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUtSK19Wyxo
2008 Ao v. Davenport

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIUQNTqNctU
USO 2006 v. Henin

Watching these matches, I realized how amazing Pova was back then. There was a sense of reliability with her shots, her serve, an ultimately her winning big matches. Pre-shoulder injury Pova would have owned Petkovic, Kvitova, Wozniaki, Li Na and Azarenka in my opinion. Now, she is completely relying on her mental fortitude to win matches.

Will pre-shoulder injury Pova ever be back?
Sadly no.

For me Maria is more than tennis, she's an inspiration.
@little levity is offline  
post #4 of 154 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2011, 03:37 PM
Senior Member
 
hablo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: canada
Posts: 50,154
                     
Re: I miss pre-shoulder injury Pova

I don't ...

AO 2007 was memorable!

Quote:
19. In the period from January to April 2006 Dr. Skalny sent very detailed messages to Ms Sharapova [...]: “Mildronate 1-2 X 10, repeat in 2 wks (before training or competition)”; “1 hr before competition, 2 pills of Mildronate”; “During games of special importance, you can increase your Mildronate dose to 3-4 pills (1 hr before the match). However, it is necessary to consult me on all these matters (please call)”; “30 minutes prior to a training session: Mildronat – 1 Capsule. 30-45 minutes prior to a tournament Mildronat 2 capsules”.
hablo is offline  
post #5 of 154 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2011, 03:39 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 686
                     
Re: I miss pre-shoulder injury Pova

So do most people.

Luckily for her the tour is weaker now than 2004-2007, so she is still able to achieve quite a bit of success with a poorer game.
Galang is offline  
post #6 of 154 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2011, 03:39 PM
Senior Member
 
FleetSeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,830
                     
Re: I miss pre-shoulder injury Pova

She would definitely have owned any of the current top 10 bar Kim. I still feel she would have always struggled with Serena and it would have been a pretty even contest with Kim I reckon. But them aside she would have easily dealt with most of the players that have come through the ranks since her injury.

Maria Sharapova
Agenlique Kerber - Victoria Azarenka - Nastya Pavyuchenkova
Yanina Wickmayer - Laura Robson - Johanna Konta - KiKi Mladenovic - Sabine Lisicki
Ana Konjuh - Aga Radwanska - Julia Goerges - Kimiko Date Krumm - Lucie Safarova -
FleetSeb is offline  
post #7 of 154 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2011, 03:39 PM
Senior Member
 
Mightymirza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,171
                     
Re: I miss pre-shoulder injury Pova

Masha 2008 was already after shoulder injury isnt it? Before the surgery but she already had problems..

SANIA JUSTINE ELENAD

Martina Hingis Ana Ivanovic Myskina Safarova

When I have my goals set, I always attain them- Justine
Mightymirza is online now  
post #8 of 154 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2011, 03:46 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 10,629
                     
Re: I miss pre-shoulder injury Pova

Whaaat? LMAO

Multiples of years have passed now and she has moved on and has even become relevant again on the tour (despite ALL her past problems and setbacks).

In other words, quit this shoulder talk... it's getting beyond petty now.

Pulling this excuse out of your ass every-time Maria is a topic of discussion is making the whole issue look lamer and faker by the day

Now I'm beginning to doubt whether her shoulder injury was as bad as I used to think
Raiden is offline  
post #9 of 154 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2011, 03:48 PM
Senior Member
 
Mr.Sharapova's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 23,635
                     
Re: I miss pre-shoulder injury Pova

Hopefully she's return to that kind of form in no time .

Maria's AO 2008 performances were breath taking .
Mr.Sharapova is offline  
post #10 of 154 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2011, 03:48 PM
Senior Member
 
hablo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: canada
Posts: 50,154
                     
Re: I miss pre-shoulder injury Pova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightymirza View Post
Masha 2008 was already after shoulder injury isnt it? Before the surgery but she already had problems..
I think so...

Quote:
19. In the period from January to April 2006 Dr. Skalny sent very detailed messages to Ms Sharapova [...]: “Mildronate 1-2 X 10, repeat in 2 wks (before training or competition)”; “1 hr before competition, 2 pills of Mildronate”; “During games of special importance, you can increase your Mildronate dose to 3-4 pills (1 hr before the match). However, it is necessary to consult me on all these matters (please call)”; “30 minutes prior to a training session: Mildronat – 1 Capsule. 30-45 minutes prior to a tournament Mildronat 2 capsules”.
hablo is offline  
post #11 of 154 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2011, 03:50 PM
Senior Member
 
TheBoiledEgg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: in Cloud Cuckoo Land
Posts: 180,900
                     
Re: I miss pre-shoulder injury Pova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightymirza View Post
Masha 2008 was already after shoulder injury isnt it? Before the surgery but she already had problems..
no she had her problems a bit later in 2008. was around Miami time

Good luck to my favs

AZARENKA

*Kuznetsova*Sharapova**Vesnina*Shvedova*Kulichkova*Kasatkina*Pavlyuchenkova*Makarova
Diatchenko*Pivovarova*Gasparyan*Leykina*Zhuk*Potapova*Pervushina*Govortsova*Vikhlyantseva*Komardina*
MINELLA TsurenkoAlize Lim*El Tabakh*Robson*Cirstea
*Juhaszova*Zanevska*Broady*Bouchard*
Cetkovska*Svitolina*
*Bellis*Soylu*Sibille*Uberalova*Eden Silva*
http://www.twitter.com/TheBoiledEgg
TheBoiledEgg is online now  
post #12 of 154 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2011, 03:51 PM
Senior Member
 
hablo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: canada
Posts: 50,154
                     
Re: I miss pre-shoulder injury Pova

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoiledEgg View Post
no she had her problems a bit later in 2008. was around Miami time
So what was the reason for the AO2007 debacle?

Quote:
19. In the period from January to April 2006 Dr. Skalny sent very detailed messages to Ms Sharapova [...]: “Mildronate 1-2 X 10, repeat in 2 wks (before training or competition)”; “1 hr before competition, 2 pills of Mildronate”; “During games of special importance, you can increase your Mildronate dose to 3-4 pills (1 hr before the match). However, it is necessary to consult me on all these matters (please call)”; “30 minutes prior to a training session: Mildronat – 1 Capsule. 30-45 minutes prior to a tournament Mildronat 2 capsules”.
hablo is offline  
post #13 of 154 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2011, 03:53 PM
Senior Member
 
TheBoiledEgg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: in Cloud Cuckoo Land
Posts: 180,900
                     
Re: I miss pre-shoulder injury Pova

Quote:
Originally Posted by hablo View Post
So what was the reason for the AO2007 debacle?
Serena was

Good luck to my favs

AZARENKA

*Kuznetsova*Sharapova**Vesnina*Shvedova*Kulichkova*Kasatkina*Pavlyuchenkova*Makarova
Diatchenko*Pivovarova*Gasparyan*Leykina*Zhuk*Potapova*Pervushina*Govortsova*Vikhlyantseva*Komardina*
MINELLA TsurenkoAlize Lim*El Tabakh*Robson*Cirstea
*Juhaszova*Zanevska*Broady*Bouchard*
Cetkovska*Svitolina*
*Bellis*Soylu*Sibille*Uberalova*Eden Silva*
http://www.twitter.com/TheBoiledEgg
TheBoiledEgg is online now  
post #14 of 154 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2011, 03:53 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 99
                     
Re: I miss pre-shoulder injury Pova

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerriy View Post
Whaaat? LMAO

Multiples of years have passed now and she has moved on and has even become relevant again on the tour (despite ALL her past problems and setbacks).

In other words, quit this shoulder talk... it's getting beyond petty now.

Pulling this excuse out of your ass every-time Maria is a topic of discussion is making the whole issue look lamer and faker by the day

Now I'm beginning to doubt whether her shoulder injury was as bad as I used to think
I swear, when I read this post I can hear the voice of Alan Rickman.
@little levity is offline  
post #15 of 154 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2011, 03:53 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 15,214
                     
Re: I miss pre-shoulder injury Pova

Quote:
Originally Posted by hablo View Post
So what was the reason for the AO2007 debacle?
Serena Williams

DON'T WAVE YOUR HAND AT ME GURLLL!
Veerror is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome