The Triumph of Push Theory - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 2011, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,149
                     
The Triumph of Push Theory

I remember a couple of years ago when "pusher" was popularized on the board, it came under a lot of attack by lots of smartass posters; that the word shouldn't be used to describe (even tongue-in-cheek way) players whose purpose is to put the ball back in court for the most part.

However, it survived and today it is even part of the standard tennis lexicon - so much that Sam Smith called Peer's game yesterday a pushing game (followed by a laugh ), and Jankovic's coach tells her on court no to push.

Push Theory has beaten all the odds and defeated all the naysayers.
Apoleb is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 2011, 09:09 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 17,677
                     
Re: The Triumph of Push Theory

Pushing has always existed. The posters on this forum who say the term wasn't valid were always wrong. The most respected commentators have used "push(ing)" and the most respected players have used "push(ing)" after a match.
Smitten is offline  
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 2011, 09:30 PM
Senior Member
 
Sammo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Self-made gilded cage
Posts: 34,636
                     
Re: The Triumph of Push Theory

The Big Push Theory

The belief that man is an irresolute creature pulled this way and that by two forces of equal strength, alternately winning and losing the battle for his soul; the conviction that human life is nothing more than an uncertain struggle between heaven and hell; the faith in two opposed entities, Satan and Christ - all this was bound to engender those internal discords in which the mind, excited by the incessant fighting, stimulated as it were by the constant promises and threats, ends up by giving in and prostitutes itself to whichever of the two combatants has been more obstinate in its pursuit. Life isn't black and white, it's gold.
Sammo is online now  
post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2011, 12:34 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,194
                     
Re: The Triumph of Push Theory

The term "Pusher" has been around at least since Brad Gilbert.
Expat is offline  
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2011, 12:42 AM
Senior Member
 
Joana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Yugoslavia
Posts: 11,487
                     
Re: The Triumph of Push Theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expat View Post
The term "Pusher" has been around at least since Brad Gilbert.
Longer than that. To quote myself from another thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joana View Post
Encyclopedia Britannica, Book of the Year 1938, entry on table tennis:
... More important is the decision to lower the net from 6 3/4 inches to 6 inches. Opinion on the likely effect of this change is by no means unanimous, but it is hoped that it will encourage attacking methods, and eliminate the "pushing" game which has spoiled many matches from the spectacular point of view.
Joana is offline  
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2011, 12:46 AM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
danieln1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 22,803
                     
Re: The Triumph of Push Theory

Conchita Martinez was the ultimate pusher, painful to watch
danieln1 is offline  
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2011, 12:58 AM
Senior Member
 
AcesHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 10,201
                     
Re: The Triumph of Push Theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoleb View Post
I remember a couple of years ago when "pusher" was popularized on the board, it came under a lot of attack by lots of smartass posters; that the word shouldn't be used to describe (even tongue-in-cheek way) players whose purpose is to put the ball back in court for the most part.

However, it survived and today it is even part of the standard tennis lexicon - so much that Sam Smith called Peer's game yesterday a pushing game (followed by a laugh ), and Jankovic's coach tells her on court no to push.

Push Theory has beaten all the odds and defeated all the naysayers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitten View Post
Pushing has always existed. The posters on this forum who say the term wasn't valid were always wrong. The most respected commentators have used "push(ing)" and the most respected players have used "push(ing)" after a match.
It's still a term of pure ignorance.. just because it's popularized does not give it any validity.

And please show me the most respected commentators using the word pushing.

I always wanted to be somebody. If I made it, it's half because I was game enough to take a lot of punishment along the way and half because there were a lot of people who cared enough to help me.
-Althea Gibson


Quote:
Originally Posted by darrinbaker00 View Post
When will you learn that "pushers" never make it past the club level, let alone #1 on the WTA computer? Will it be too late?
AcesHigh is offline  
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2011, 01:01 AM
It's like cool epilepsy.
 
Ellery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Brissy
Posts: 64,971
                     
Re: The Triumph of Push Theory

omg amaze
Ellery is offline  
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2011, 01:40 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,167
                     
Re: The Triumph of Push Theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by @danieln1 View Post
Conchita Martinez was the ultimate pusher, painful to watch
I think Arantxa was an even more scandalous pusher. Conchita had some variety to her.
vozas is offline  
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2011, 01:56 AM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
danieln1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 22,803
                     
Re: The Triumph of Push Theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by vozas View Post
I think Arantxa was an even more scandalous pusher. Conchita had some variety to her.
Arantxa was terrible to watch too..... push push pushing. never ending points....

Coetzer also.
danieln1 is offline  
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2011, 02:04 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 24,722
                     
Re: The Triumph of Push Theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoleb View Post
I remember a couple of years ago when "pusher" was popularized on the board, it came under a lot of attack by lots of smartass posters; that the word shouldn't be used to describe (even tongue-in-cheek way) players whose purpose is to put the ball back in court for the most part.

However, it survived and today it is even part of the standard tennis lexicon - so much that Sam Smith called Peer's game yesterday a pushing game (followed by a laugh ), and Jankovic's coach tells her on court no to push.

Push Theory has beaten all the odds and defeated all the naysayers.
I remain undefeated. I am a huge fan of women's tennis, and I don't use terms like 'pusher' and 'ball-basher' that are ultimately used to deride the players and the game. If you want to insult the players and the game, why even visit this site?

Proud to be an American
Not blind. Not uninformed. We are party to atrocities. But the response of the world after 9/11 is worth noting. Even our most dire enemies offered aid. We should all be so lucky.

Last edited by Volcana; Aug 19th, 2011 at 03:20 AM.
Volcana is offline  
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2011, 03:40 AM
Trainwreck
 
Lord Choc Ice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Gothenburg
Posts: 54,353
                     
Re: The Triumph of Push Theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcesHigh View Post
It's still a term of pure ignorance.. just because it's popularized does not give it any validity.

And please show me the most respected commentators using the word pushing.
At Wimbledon '09 a couple of commentators said Roddick wad 'pushing' the ball in one of his earlier rounds. I can't remember who though. Might've been Henman, Rusdedski, one of those two.
Lord Choc Ice is online now  
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2011, 04:09 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 40,129
                     
Re: The Triumph of Push Theory

Yeah! We are always a couple of years ahead of the tennis world.
tennislover22 is offline  
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2011, 04:13 AM
Senior Member
 
AcesHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 10,201
                     
Re: The Triumph of Push Theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
At Wimbledon '09 a couple of commentators said Roddick wad 'pushing' the ball in one of his earlier rounds. I can't remember who though. Might've been Henman, Rusdedski, one of those two.
Push is a pretty common word. I doubt it was being used in the context TF users use it.
I've used the word with some coaches to talk about a technical aspect of the stroke.. not a strategic one. Particularly when you're not taking full swings or following through the entire stroke with validity and conviction. It happens when players are often tentative.. perhaps not so confident. It however has nothing to do with a defensive mindset or strategy. For example, TF's ultimate pusher Caroline Wozniacki takes full cuts at the ball... she just prefers to play a higher percentage game in terms of placement, aggressiveness and pace (although the last part doesn't seem to be voluntary).

anyways, if you could find a clip.. that'd be nice. Until then I'll have to stand by what I said.

I always wanted to be somebody. If I made it, it's half because I was game enough to take a lot of punishment along the way and half because there were a lot of people who cared enough to help me.
-Althea Gibson


Quote:
Originally Posted by darrinbaker00 View Post
When will you learn that "pushers" never make it past the club level, let alone #1 on the WTA computer? Will it be too late?
AcesHigh is offline  
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2011, 04:16 AM
Trainwreck
 
Lord Choc Ice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Gothenburg
Posts: 54,353
                     
Re: The Triumph of Push Theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcesHigh View Post
Push is a pretty common word. I doubt it was being used in the context TF users use it.
I've used the word with some coaches to talk about a technical aspect of the stroke.. not a strategic one.

anyways, if you could find a clip.. that'd be nice. Until then I'll have to stand by what I said.
It was. I'm not making it up. It was either 2R VS Kunitsyn or 3R VS Melzer, can't remember. Specifically they said "pushing the ball around the court".
Lord Choc Ice is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome