So what really happened at those 7 match-points Lindsay had ?
1. Monica serving. Good wide serve which Lindsay can't reach.
2. Lindsay puts a relatively easy backhand passing shot into the net.
3. Lindsay with an unforced forehand error.
4. Lindsay with 2nd serve, she is too short and Monica makes a winner.
5. Monica with a decent first serve, Lindsay puts backhand-return into the net.
6. Monica with 2nd serve, Lindsay doesn't step in, Monica dominates and forces the error.
7. Lindsay with foot-fault because of stepping beyond the middle mark (!!!), 2nd serve is bad and is punished by Monica.
Also remarkable is Monica's setpoint, when Lindsay puts the easiest forehand-volley into the net.
Monica won the last 12 points of the match. 6 of the last 7 points were unforced errors of the worst kind by Lindsay, who rushed in the last 2 games and didn't seem to care anymore.
Summary: Everything Monica did right, Lindsay did wrong. In crucial situations, Monica took risks; Lindsay pulled a 'Martina' and played it safe, instead of going for a winner at least once. When Monica was down hopelessly, she fought, when Lindsay was down, she gave up.
And if you make such an error on match-point, a foot-fault not even beginners would make, then you really don't deserve to be part of the tournament any longer.