Giants (6' or taller) vs rest of tour - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2011, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Cp6uja's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 13,542
                     
Giants (6' or taller) vs rest of tour

Number of 6' and taller players on WTA tour is still under 3% of all ranked and even into current TOP100 where theirs influence is very notable its still under 10%. But when we speak about slam champions and #1 ranked WTA players in last about 10-15 years number of giant-girls is amazing. More than 100 years after 1st slam in womens competition there is still no any 6'+ (183cm+) GS champion (more close than anyone else was 6'2'' Helena Sukova which reach 4GS finals, but lose all of them). But since Lindsay Davenport won US Open 1998 there is 5 different 6'+ players which won 15 slams (Davenport, Venus, Sharapova, Ivanovic and Kvitova + honorary mention Safina which reach WTA#1 and 3GS finals) and 5 of last 12 WTA#1 is giant-girls.

2008 started with 2 back-to-back all-giants finals (AO:Maria-Ana, RG:Ana-Dinara) and continued with Venus title at Wimbledon, but than starts longest slamless period since 1998 with 11 slams in the row without GS title for giants, till Wimbledon this season where we have early this month all-giant final and newest 6'+ GS champion 1990-born Petra Kvitova. So what do You think about tours success (GS achievements especially) of WTA tallest players in near future (lets say next 5 years)? Do You think Kvitova is real deal, or is Maria finally comeback as ultimate GS contender, or will Venus, Ana or Dinara will be ever again relevant contenders for GS titles or #1 spot? What about new girls such as Laura Robson or Kristina Mladenovic which both still grow (6' expected height in both cases)? All the best 6'+ WTA players are great ambassadors of power-tennis, so this is also question about WTA tour future.



HELPFUL INFORMATIONS:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder View Post

Eva Hrdinova - 6'3"
Akgul Ammanmuradova - 6'3"
Elena Bovina - 6'2"
Jocelyn Rae - 6'2"
Maria Sharapova - 6'2"
Dinara Safina 6'2"
Naomi Broady - 6'2"
Ana Ivanovic - 6'1"
Venus Williams - 6'1"
Coco Vandeweghe - 6'1"
Rebecca Marino - 6'1"
Alexandra Stevenson - 6'1"
Karolina Pliskova - 6'1"
Mona Barthel - 6'1"
Kristyna Pliskova - 6'
Yanina Wickamayer - 6'
Petra Kvitova - 6'
Mara Santangelo - 6'
Laura Robson - 6'
Olga Govortsova - 6'
Alexa Glatch - 6'
Nicole Vaidisova - 6'
Galina Voskoboeva - 6'
Kristina Barrois - 6'
Alicia Molik - 6'
Elena Bogdan - 6'
Polona Hercog - 6'
Anastasia Pivovarova 6'
^^^ this is list of all active (+some potentially active) 6'+ players from GM TF thread about that subject.

and I'm not even fan of Ana Ivanovic... just an objective observer who realize how perfect she is

AMAZING BELGRADE MIRACLE: In just three years (2008-2011) 5 different players born in same city reach world #1 in rankings and several GS titles and finals (WTA singles: Ana Ivanovic and Jelena Jankovic, ATP singles: Novak Djokovic, ATP doubles: Nenad Zimonjic and Daniel Nestor... with notable performances of Bojana Jovanovski, Janko Tipsarevic and Viktor Troicki which is also all three born in Belgrade)
Cp6uja is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2011, 11:28 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 12,389
                     
Re: Giants (6' or taller) vs rest of tour

Venus really has the perfect tennis body. Tall and lanky but incredibly fast.
But she's an exception, all the 6' girls are slow. It's better to be ~5'10" in the WTA. Enough height that you can still serve well but short enough that your movement isn't compromised. Wozniacki is probably around the ideal height. Serena too but she's too busty which I think contributes to her injuries and struggle with fitness.
starin is offline  
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2011, 11:36 PM
Senior Member
 
Sammo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Self-made gilded cage
Posts: 34,890
                     
Re: Giants (6' or taller) vs rest of tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by starin View Post
Venus really has the perfect tennis body. Tall and lanky but incredibly fast.
But she's an exception, all the 6' girls are slow. It's better to be ~5'10" in the WTA. Enough height that you can still serve well but short enough that your movement isn't compromised. Wozniacki is probably around the ideal height. Serena too but she's too busty which I think contributes to her injuries and struggle with fitness.
Venus used to be fast, not anymore.

The belief that man is an irresolute creature pulled this way and that by two forces of equal strength, alternately winning and losing the battle for his soul; the conviction that human life is nothing more than an uncertain struggle between heaven and hell; the faith in two opposed entities, Satan and Christ - all this was bound to engender those internal discords in which the mind, excited by the incessant fighting, stimulated as it were by the constant promises and threats, ends up by giving in and prostitutes itself to whichever of the two combatants has been more obstinate in its pursuit. Life isn't black and white, it's gold.
Sammo is online now  
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2011, 11:38 PM
Senior Member
 
Cajka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 17,173
                     
Re: Giants (6' or taller) vs rest of tour

Yanina!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ana'sProcess View Post
I'm ok with Ana dating Bastian, women, Jelena Jankovic, Trump, Montgomery Burns from Simpsons...
ПАРТИЗАН ШАМПИОН!!!
Cajka is offline  
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2011, 11:54 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 12,389
                     
Re: Giants (6' or taller) vs rest of tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammo View Post
Venus used to be fast, not anymore.
obviously I don't mean now but even so she's still faster than all the 6' + girls.
starin is offline  
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 2011, 12:02 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,791
                     
Re: Giants (6' or taller) vs rest of tour

Why does a european start a thread like this using the american system of measuring height?do you not use the metric system anymore in Serbia?
currie84 is offline  
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 2011, 12:05 AM
Heaux
 
Break My Rapture's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 28,499
                     
Re: Giants (6' or taller) vs rest of tour

Ivanovic is 6'1"?
Break My Rapture is offline  
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 2011, 12:09 AM
Senior Member
 
Cajka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 17,173
                     
Re: Giants (6' or taller) vs rest of tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by currie84 View Post
Why does a european start a thread like this using the american system of measuring height?do you not use the metric system anymore in Serbia?
Srbija could really add a metric system and put it in the brackets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ana'sProcess View Post
I'm ok with Ana dating Bastian, women, Jelena Jankovic, Trump, Montgomery Burns from Simpsons...
ПАРТИЗАН ШАМПИОН!!!
Cajka is offline  
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 2011, 12:30 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 36,044
                     
Re: Giants (6' or taller) vs rest of tour

Does Dinara admit to 6'2"?

Also, Venus is still faster than everyone on that list.
edificio is offline  
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 2011, 12:34 AM
Senior Member
 
madmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 10,951
                     
Re: Giants (6' or taller) vs rest of tour

Ivanovic is as much 6'1 as I'm a 7 footer...I saw her standing next to Maria and Dinara in the pictures and she's at least two inches shorter than them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chakbelle View Post
Those DFs are like a tap but the washer is broken and Maksim doesnt have a wrench.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp!ffy View Post
Sharapova is so popular her owns fans have haters.
madmax is offline  
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 2011, 12:42 AM
Senior Member
 
Cajka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 17,173
                     
Re: Giants (6' or taller) vs rest of tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax View Post
Ivanovic is as much 6'1 as I'm a 7 footer...I saw her standing next to Maria and Dinara in the pictures and she's at least two inches shorter than them.
This is at least 2 inches? I would say it's 1 inch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ana'sProcess View Post
I'm ok with Ana dating Bastian, women, Jelena Jankovic, Trump, Montgomery Burns from Simpsons...
ПАРТИЗАН ШАМПИОН!!!
Cajka is offline  
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 2011, 12:48 AM
Senior Member
 
madmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 10,951
                     
Re: Giants (6' or taller) vs rest of tour


this looks like 1.5 - 2 inches difference to me. Unless Maria is taller than 6'2 actually

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chakbelle View Post
Those DFs are like a tap but the washer is broken and Maksim doesnt have a wrench.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp!ffy View Post
Sharapova is so popular her owns fans have haters.
madmax is offline  
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 2011, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Cp6uja's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 13,542
                     
Re: Giants (6' or taller) vs rest of tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by starin View Post
Venus really has the perfect tennis body. Tall and lanky but incredibly fast.
But she's an exception, all the 6' girls are slow. It's better to be ~5'10" in the WTA. Enough height that you can still serve well but short enough that your movement isn't compromised. Wozniacki is probably around the ideal height. Serena too but she's too busty which I think contributes to her injuries and struggle with fitness.
In past, before racquet technology revolution, 6'+ tall girls are just hopeless for real-deal tennis achievements because lack of speed. But in last 10-15 years everything is changed and girls are in position to maximize theirs power. BTW in XXI century (since 2001) there still no any 5'10"-5'11" tall GS champion (with several from 5'8"-5'9" or 6'1"-6'2" group) which is maybe coincidence, but also maybe players from 176cm-182cm group which You call perfect height are from tennis no man's land - too tall to use advances of smaller players, and not enough tall to have all benefits which use "giants" There is really many 5'10"-5'11" girls into TOP10 or TOP100 all the time all this years, but when it come to reach GS finals only Dementieva, Pierce, Jankovic and Wozniacki achieve that in XXI century (and nobody won single title).

Quote:
Originally Posted by currie84 View Post
Why does a european start a thread like this using the american system of measuring height?do you not use the metric system anymore in Serbia?
I will answer to You, despite I don't see any reason for this yours question (btw metric system is not European but worlds official system, and feet is used in many European countries, like UK for example). Simple, Its looks way better for thread title to use (round) 6' than 183cm border (180cm is still not enough to call someone giant).

and I'm not even fan of Ana Ivanovic... just an objective observer who realize how perfect she is

AMAZING BELGRADE MIRACLE: In just three years (2008-2011) 5 different players born in same city reach world #1 in rankings and several GS titles and finals (WTA singles: Ana Ivanovic and Jelena Jankovic, ATP singles: Novak Djokovic, ATP doubles: Nenad Zimonjic and Daniel Nestor... with notable performances of Bojana Jovanovski, Janko Tipsarevic and Viktor Troicki which is also all three born in Belgrade)
Cp6uja is offline  
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 2011, 12:50 AM
Senior Member
 
Lisickinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,292
                     
Re: Giants (6' or taller) vs rest of tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by currie84 View Post
Why does a european start a thread like this using the american system of measuring height?do you not use the metric system anymore in Serbia?
this

A vast majority of the world uses the metric system.

scheiß Fußball
Lisickinator is offline  
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 2011, 12:51 AM
Senior Member
 
ArcticMoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Official DJ to DiscoPetra
Posts: 3,060
                     
Re: Giants (6' or taller) vs rest of tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cp6uja View Post
Number of 6' and taller players on WTA tour is still under 3% of all ranked and even into current TOP100 where theirs influence is very notable its still under 10%. But when we speak about slam champions and #1 ranked WTA players in last about 10-15 years number of giant-girls is amazing. More than 100 years after 1st slam in womens competition there is still no any 6'+ (183cm+) GS champion (more close than anyone else was 6'2'' Helena Sukova which reach 4GS finals, but lose all of them). But since Lindsay Davenport won US Open 1998 there is 5 different 6'+ players which won 15 slams (Davenport, Venus, Sharapova, Ivanovic and Kvitova + honorary mention Safina which reach WTA#1 and 3GS finals) and 5 of last 12 WTA#1 is giant-girls.

2008 started with 2 back-to-back all-giants finals (AO:Maria-Ana, RG:Ana-Dinara) and continued with Venus title at Wimbledon, but than starts longest slamless period since 1998 with 11 slams in the row without GS title for giants, till Wimbledon this season where we have early this month all-giant final and newest 6'+ GS champion 1990-born Petra Kvitova. So what do You think about tours success (GS achievements especially) of WTA tallest players in near future (lets say next 5 years)? Do You think Kvitova is real deal, or is Maria finally comeback as ultimate GS contender, or will Venus, Ana or Dinara will be ever again relevant contenders for GS titles or #1 spot? What about new girls such as Laura Robson or Kristina Mladenovic which both still grow (6' expected height in both cases)? All the best 6'+ WTA players are great ambassadors of power-tennis, so this is also question about WTA tour future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
Off the top of my head (active only)...
  1. Eva Hrdinova - 6'3"
  2. Akgul Ammanmuradova - 6'3"
  3. Elena Bovina - 6'2.5"
  4. Jocelyn Rae - 6'2" (maybe taller)
  5. Maria Sharapova - 6'2"
  6. Dinara Safina 6'2"
  7. Naomi Broady - 6'2"
  8. Ana Ivanovic - 6'1"
  9. Venus Williams - 6'1"
  10. Coco Vandeweghe - 6'1"
  11. Rebecca Marino - 6'1"
  12. Alexandra Stevenson - 6'1"
  13. Karolina Pliskova - 6'1"
  14. Mona Barthel - 6'.5"
  15. Kristyna Pliskova - 6'
  16. Yanina Wickamayer - 6'
  17. Petra Kvitova - 6'
  18. Mara Santangelo - 6'
  19. Laura Robson - 6'
  20. Olga Govortsova - 6'
  21. Alexa Glatch - 6'
  22. Nicole Vaidisova - 6'
  23. Galina Voskoboeva - 6'
  24. Kristina Barrois - 6'
  25. Alicia Molik - 6'
  26. Elena Bogdan - 6'
  27. Polona Hercog - 6'
  28. Anastasia Pivovarova 6'
HELPFUL INFORMATIONS:
^^^ this is list of all active (+some potentially active) 6'+ players from GM TF thread about that subject.
Cross checking the heights against the WTA website info & reordering them with the help of metric measurement will reorder the original list in the following way :

1. Eva Hrdinova - 6'3" - 1.91m
2. Akgul Ammanmuradova - 6'3" - 1.90m
3. Elena Bovina - 6'2 1/2" - 1.89m
4. Naomi Broady - 6'2" - 1.89m
5. Jocelyn Rae - 6'2" - 1.88m
6. Maria Sharapova - 6'2" - 1.88m {Weight: 130 lbs. - 59 kg}
7. Ana Ivanovic - 6'1" – 1.86m {Weight: 152 lbs. - 69 kg}
8. Karolina Pliskova - 6'1" - 1.86m
9. Venus Williams - 6'1" - 1.85m {Weight: 160 lbs. - 72.5 kg}
10. Coco Vandeweghe - 6'1" - 1.85m
11. Alexandra Stevenson - 6'1" - 1.85m
12. Mona Barthel - 6'1" - 1.85m
13. Kristyna Pliskova - 6' - 1.84m
14. Rebecca Marino - 6' – 1.83m
15. Petra Kvitova - 6' – 1.83m {Weight: 154 lbs. - 70 kg}
16. Mara Santangelo - 6' - 1.83m (Retired Jan 28, 2011)
17. Alexa Glatch - 6' – 1.83m
18. Nicole Vaidisova - 6' – 1.83m
19. Galina Voskoboeva - 6' - 1.83m
20. Kristina Barrois - 6' – 1.83m
21. Elena Bogdan - 6' – 1.83m
22. Yanina Wickamayer - 6' - 1.82m
23. Olga Govortsova - 6' - 1.82m
24. Polona Hercog - 6' – 1.82m
25. Anastasia Pivovarova 6' – 1.82m
26. Alicia Molik - 5'11 3/4" - 1.82 m
27. Dinara Safina 5' 11 1/2" - 1.82 m
28. Laura Robson - 5'11" - 1.80m

Slam Holders - as at 14 July 2011


Last edited by ArcticMoose; Jul 14th, 2011 at 01:37 AM.
ArcticMoose is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome