Serena could win 18 to 20 slams - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 331 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2011, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 5,286
                     
Serena could win 18 to 20 slams

Call me crazy but I still think Serena can reach 18-20 slams. First off it isnt untypical of players to be in their primes into their 30s. Navratilova was still in her prime aged 30-32, she just didnt win many slams and wasnt #1 anymore since the greatest ever Steffi Graf was also reaching her prime and was superior to her. Evert likewise played arguably her best ever tennis in her early 30s, taking her game to a new level to counter Navratlova, she just was overtaken by two superior player in Navratilova and Graf. Laver completed the Grand Slam at age 31 and his best years of tennis were generally to be believed aged 28-33. Court was still dominating at 31 and probably could have another couple years if she didnt take another pregnancy break. Agassi played his best ever tennis aged 29-33.

So I believe Serena, given good health, could play as well as ever these next 3 years, or atleast as well as any period outside her 2002-July 2003 where she hit an out of orbit level for female tennis. And unlike the others there is not an even greater player to overtake her while still in her prime, atleast not yet.

So 6 or 7 slams in the 2012-2014 period is very possible. Starting in 2015 she would likely start to really regress with age, and the field will have to have improved by then.
justineheninfan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 331 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2011, 03:49 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 4,556
                     
Re: Serena could win 18 to 20 slams

Hater baiting thread to attack Serena?

If tennis was her life,she would've won more but it's her life and she isalready an all time great so there is not much to complain about.
Lucemferre is offline  
post #3 of 331 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2011, 03:53 PM
Senior Member
 
NoppaNoppa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,507
                     
Re: Serena could win 18 to 20 slams

She could have. Need to be fit to play to win any.
She will not reach that tally anymore.
NoppaNoppa is offline  
post #4 of 331 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2011, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 5,286
                     
Re: Serena could win 18 to 20 slams

Who is a major threat to Serena for the forseeable future other than Kvitova. Sharapova still needs to sort out her serve or an in form Serena will roll her. The other up and comers arent even at Kvitova's level. I could see Na maybe winning another slam or two but she will never dominate. Momma Kim already looks bored and ready to retire again, and Serena will be hell bent on revenge next time they play. If Serena can stay healthy and regains top form and fitness winning roughly half the slams over the next several years is hardly far fetched.
justineheninfan is offline  
post #5 of 331 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2011, 03:54 PM
Senior Member
 
longtin23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 10,808
                     
Re: Serena could win 18 to 20 slams

She could, but will she??

Asian Tennis Legend - Li Na
Wozniacki Kvitova Pironkova Larsson Mladenovic

V.Williams Zheng Peng Zhang Pavlyuchenkova Cornet
Muguruza Garcia Wickmayer Ka.Pliskova Makarova
longtin23 is offline  
post #6 of 331 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2011, 03:55 PM
悠久のPEGASUS
 
TIEFSEE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toxic Vibration
Posts: 92,725
                     
Re: Serena could win 18 to 20 slams

I always believe Serena will win 2-3 more slams. She doesn't look like retiring in 2012 so there will be a couple of years for her to win slams and make Wozniacki slamless when she can still whore up useless premium tournaments

If she's healthy she can bag Wimbledon next year

Tennis Tipping:
Singles (CHR#17) - Copenhagen 10 Beijing 11 Pattaya 12
Doubles (CHR#10) - Cincinnati 09 Hobart 16(w/Drake1980) ; Auckland Copenhagen 10 Palermo 11 Stuttgart Baku 12 Palermo 13 (w/Richie's) ; Monterrey 14 (w/Adrian.) USO 14 Moscow Hong Kong New Haven 15(w/Frederik)
TIEFSEE is offline  
post #7 of 331 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2011, 03:58 PM
Senior Member
 
ElusiveChanteuse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 82,320
                     
Re: Serena could win 18 to 20 slams

She definitely won't be as fit as before especially when she's reaching her 30s. She won't be winning slams like she did when she was during the mid 00's. She will not win more than 4 slams from now on, especially the French Open.
ElusiveChanteuse is offline  
post #8 of 331 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 15,781
                     
Re: Serena could win 18 to 20 slams

I'd say 3 more Slams. The Australian Open will always be her best chance because it suits her playing style these days to a tee, and she also has an advantage in that she's confident/experienced enough to bring her best within a few weeks after the offseason, whereas most players need a few tournaments to get properly warmed up. She might sneak in another Wimbledon if she serves her best. RG's definitely not happening, and I'd be surprised if she got another US Open - it just doesn't suit her game that much.

So I'd say 16 Slams overall. Great, obviously, but certainly not enough to put her anywhere near the GOAT discussion - all the real GOAT contenders were either first or second of their generation on ALL surfaces, whereas Serena is arguably not even top 5 on clay in her generation.
dsanders06 is offline  
post #9 of 331 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2011, 04:25 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,762
                     
Re: Serena could win 18 to 20 slams

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtin23 View Post
She could, but will she??
this
Anabelcroft is offline  
post #10 of 331 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2011, 04:33 PM
Senior Member
 
theFutureisNow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,026
                     
Re: Serena could win 18 to 20 slams

In the last decade 28 has been the age of no return. At one point 39 of 40 slam winners(or something like that) were 28 or under.
This has changed somewhat in the last couple years with the failure of many younger players to emerge, but I think age is still fairly important.

Her first priority should be getting back into tennis shape. Then let her win one slam before even bringing up a question like this.

In her comeback so far the best player she beat was ranked 27th and she lost to two players she used to own. I don't think we will have a good idea of how successful Serena will be until after the Australian Open.

}{KVITOVA}{MUGURUZA}{SHARAPOVA}{ MLADENOVIC}{LISICKI }{
theFutureisNow is offline  
post #11 of 331 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2011, 04:35 PM
.
 
Serenus Christ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: GoldCoast
Posts: 5,500
                     
Re: Serena could win 18 to 20 slams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammo View Post
Forget it, she'll be lucky to get another one. Navratilova was playing great at age 32 because her game was serve and volley, and at 32 she was physically much better than Serena will be at the same age.

"But Isha, many people believe, could have been the third Williams sister"
Serenus Christ is offline  
post #12 of 331 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2011, 04:37 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 12,959
                     
Re: Serena could win 18 to 20 slams

Quote:
Originally Posted by theFutureisNow View Post
In the last decade 28 has been the age of no return. At one point 39 of 40 slam winners(or something like that) were 28 or under.
This has changed somewhat in the last couple years with the failure of many younger players to emerge, but I think age is still fairly important.

Her first priority should be getting back into tennis shape. Then let her win one slam before even bringing up a question like this.

In her comeback so far the best player she beat was ranked 27th and she lost to two players she used to own. I don't think we will have a good idea of how successful Serena will be until after the Australian Open.
Her comeback has consisted of 6 matches. I think Serena will win more slams but I don't know if she'll reach 18. I hope so though.
Novichok is offline  
post #13 of 331 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2011, 04:38 PM
Senior Member
 
Serenita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: ►▼◄
Posts: 30,177
                     
Re: Serena could win 18 to 20 slams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrono. View Post
I always believe Serena will win 2-3 more slams. She doesn't look like retiring in 2012 so there will be a couple of years for her to win slams and make Wozniacki slamless when she can still whore up useless premium tournaments

If she's healthy she can bag Wimbledon next year
It took exactly five reply's before someone mentioned Caro.

Time will tell. Serena has the mental fortitude and if she stay's the physical strength to do it. But like i said before time will tell.

SERENA
21
Serenita is offline  
post #14 of 331 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2011, 04:38 PM
Senior Member
 
TheBoiledEgg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: in Cloud Cuckoo Land
Posts: 180,355
                     
Re: Serena could win 18 to 20 slams

Crazy

Good luck in 2016 to my favs*Kuznetsova*Sharapova*Kleybanova*Vesnina*Shvedova*Kulichkova*Kasatkina*
Pavlyuchenkova*Makarova*Diatchenko*Pivovarova*Gasparyan*Leykina*Zhuk*Potapova*Pervushina*AZARENKA *Govortsova
MINELLA TsurenkoAlize Lim*El Tabakh*Robson*Cirstea
*Juhaszova*Zanevska*Broady*Bouchard*
Cetkovska*Svitolina*
Pliskova's*Rus*Bellis*Soylu*Sibille*Uberalova*Eden Silva*
http://www.twitter.com/TheBoiledEgg
TheBoiledEgg is offline  
post #15 of 331 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2011, 04:39 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,819
                     
Re: Serena could win 18 to 20 slams

Quote:
Originally Posted by justineheninfan View Post
Call me crazy but I still think Serena can reach 18-20 slams. First off it isnt untypical of players to be in their primes into their 30s. Navratilova was still in her prime aged 30-32, she just didnt win many slams and wasnt #1 anymore since the greatest ever Steffi Graf was also reaching her prime and was superior to her. Evert likewise played arguably her best ever tennis in her early 30s, taking her game to a new level to counter Navratlova, she just was overtaken by two superior player in Navratilova and Graf. Laver completed the Grand Slam at age 31 and his best years of tennis were generally to be believed aged 28-33. Court was still dominating at 31 and probably could have another couple years if she didnt take another pregnancy break. Agassi played his best ever tennis aged 29-33.

So I believe Serena, given good health, could play as well as ever these next 3 years, or atleast as well as any period outside her 2002-July 2003 where she hit an out of orbit level for female tennis. And unlike the others there is not an even greater player to overtake her while still in her prime, atleast not yet.

So 6 or 7 slams in the 2012-2014 period is very possible. Starting in 2015 she would likely start to really regress with age, and the field will have to have improved by then.
Margaret Court retired in 1977. Anyway, no, she will end with around 15, is my guess.
rimon is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome