Blame the RoadMap - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 69 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2011, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,222
                     
Blame the RoadMap

I was doing some thinking and even though I'm reasonably new to Tennisforum, I have been following tennis for the past 5 or so years. I recently acknowledged that the quality of tennis matches seemed to have descended since about 2009. Yes, there were a couple of great matches from that time, but none like the way it was back in 2000-2007. I have come to the conclusion that the reason for such low quality matches as well as so many slumping, is due to the RoadMap. I remember they changed the rules, what 3 years ago? That if you were top 10 you had to play a certain amount of matches and be in a certain amount of places. I think that due to this extremely high demand of time, not many players have been able to work on and improve their games efficiently enough. Also, I think this is why a player like Wozniacki is able to be n1 in the world, because she is in my opinion the most physically fit player on tour, and probably the only player that is able to effectively play by those rules. The RoadMap in my opinion is why the tour is in the slump that it is currently in today.
SwingVolley93 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 69 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2011, 10:08 AM
Senior Member
 
Henpova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 634
                     
Re: Blame the RoadMap

The top players don't play much more then they used to....I mean most top players only play 18 tournaments a year in 2007 and now they play 20...so two more tournaments is not a lot more over a whole year...also Caro is very fit but this is not the reason why she is number one....she is number one because she wins the most titles and plays at a high level for a long time...I think the problems are injures and playing with them...it looks like player are not taking as long as they should to let injuries heel..and the road map dose not make them play...all they have to do is say they have a injury....

With that said you may be right but I disagree......

MARIA SHARAPOVA-RUS
Agnieszka Radwanska-POL
Li Na-CHN
JELENA JANKOVIC-SRB
HANTUCHOVA-SVK

"Congratulations Maria on winning the Career Grand Slam!!! "
Henpova is offline  
post #3 of 69 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2011, 10:22 AM
country flag tea
taking fanboyism to a whole new level
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,463
                     
Re: Blame the RoadMap

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwingVolley93 View Post
I was doing some thinking and even though I'm reasonably new to Tennisforum, I have been following tennis for the past 5 or so years. I recently acknowledged that the quality of tennis matches seemed to have descended since about 2009. Yes, there were a couple of great matches from that time, but none like the way it was back in 2000-2007. I have come to the conclusion that the reason for such low quality matches as well as so many slumping, is due to the RoadMap. I remember they changed the rules, what 3 years ago? That if you were top 10 you had to play a certain amount of matches and be in a certain amount of places. I think that due to this extremely high demand of time, not many players have been able to work on and improve their games efficiently enough. Also, I think this is why a player like Wozniacki is able to be n1 in the world, because she is in my opinion the most physically fit player on tour, and probably the only player that is able to effectively play by those rules. The RoadMap in my opinion is why the tour is in the slump that it is currently in today.
Agree. Wozniacki mafia (read Piotr) changed the rules so that she could dominate. Glad you've solved that for us.
tea is offline  
post #4 of 69 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2011, 10:42 AM
?
 
Papillon.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,708
                     
Re: Blame the RoadMap

I'm sorry but every time I've seen your sig it's been in a thread where I have legitimately nothing to contribute, so finally I've had enough and I'm just going to say it.

I fucking adore your signature, tea.
Papillon. is offline  
post #5 of 69 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2011, 03:12 PM
Senior Member
 
Shadowcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 50,821
                     
Re: Blame the RoadMap

Hmm...yeah it's possible...but I don't think so that's the main reason.
Shadowcat is offline  
post #6 of 69 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2011, 04:09 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Somewhere in time
Posts: 2,977
                     
Re: Blame the RoadMap

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwingVolley93 View Post
I was doing some thinking and even though I'm reasonably new to Tennisforum, I have been following tennis for the past 5 or so years. I recently acknowledged that the quality of tennis matches seemed to have descended since about 2009. Yes, there were a couple of great matches from that time, but none like the way it was back in 2000-2007. I have come to the conclusion that the reason for such low quality matches as well as so many slumping, is due to the RoadMap. I remember they changed the rules, what 3 years ago? That if you were top 10 you had to play a certain amount of matches and be in a certain amount of places. I think that due to this extremely high demand of time, not many players have been able to work on and improve their games efficiently enough. Also, I think this is why a player like Wozniacki is able to be n1 in the world, because she is in my opinion the most physically fit player on tour, and probably the only player that is able to effectively play by those rules. The RoadMap in my opinion is why the tour is in the slump that it is currently in today.
The Roadmap did next to nothing to either direction. Lets also clear up the stupid myth that the players' schedule these days is heavier than in the past - it's not.

"Literally four types of comments: your awesome, I hate you, I jerked off to this, why would anybody jerk off to this. Youtube should just get rid of comments. Blah."
Timariot is offline  
post #7 of 69 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2011, 04:20 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 26,885
                     
Re: Blame the RoadMap

I think another reason (if you blame the RoadMap) is the high amount of (obligated) HC tournaments especially at the end of the year which has been one of the reasons why so many players ended their last season very early or at least played through, but only at 60% because of health problems...

Too many Hard Court tennis is in the long run bad for the ankles and other joints, so that only the fittest player can maintain a high level´or have to skip some tourneys to recover. Not speaking about the long and exhausting tour over all continents and many countries which is very tiring at the end of the year.

A reason which has nothing to do with the RoadMap is that we are in a time of change. Many older players can't play as much tourneys as they want because their body don't allow. On the other hand we have many young players who are still struggling with consistency and fitness.

At least that's my point of view...
Curcubeu is offline  
post #8 of 69 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2011, 05:00 PM
. . .
 
IMPOSSIBLE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 27,507
                     
Re: Blame the RoadMap

I miss all the different tournament tiers, I think the tour is lacking the variety of tournament it did previously have.

♠ Rebecca Peterson ♠ Johanna Larsson ♠ Sofia Arvidsson ♠ Jocelyn Rae ♠ Ellen Allgurin ♠ Malin Ulvefeldt ♠ Cornelia Lister ♠

♠ Check Out > Sofia-Arvidsson.webs.com

♠ Follow > Sofia Arvidsson Twitter Fans
IMPOSSIBLE is offline  
post #9 of 69 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2011, 05:03 PM
Senior Member
 
goldenlox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: cyberspace
Posts: 97,109
                     
Re: Blame the RoadMap

I'm not sure what people want. This tournament has Caro, Kim, Vera, Sam, Maria, Ana, and the top men.
So did IW.

You dont like the level of play? That's partially the money they make. If Murray HAD to win, he would play better. Same for Sveta, Li

The most wasted of all days is one without laughter....
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there
Enjoy This Moment!!
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline  
post #10 of 69 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2011, 05:43 PM
Sugar Co. CFO
 
tejmeglekvár's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 13,928
                     
Re: Blame the RoadMap

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwingVolley93 View Post
I was doing some thinking and even though I'm reasonably new to Tennisforum, I have been following tennis for the past 5 or so years. I recently acknowledged that the quality of tennis matches seemed to have descended since about 2009. Yes, there were a couple of great matches from that time, but none like the way it was back in 2000-2007. I have come to the conclusion that the reason for such low quality matches as well as so many slumping, is due to the RoadMap. I remember they changed the rules, what 3 years ago? That if you were top 10 you had to play a certain amount of matches and be in a certain amount of places. I think that due to this extremely high demand of time, not many players have been able to work on and improve their games efficiently enough. Also, I think this is why a player like Wozniacki is able to be n1 in the world, because she is in my opinion the most physically fit player on tour, and probably the only player that is able to effectively play by those rules. The RoadMap in my opinion is why the tour is in the slump that it is currently in today.
top10 players minimum commitments according to rulebook
4 Premier Mandatory
4 Premier-5
2 Premier-700
4 GS (obviously)
+ YEC

this is 15 tournament/21 weeks overall. "extremely high demand of time"?

The Queen of Screams
tejmeglekvár is offline  
post #11 of 69 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2011, 06:01 PM
Senior Member
 
Jane Lane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NYC, USA
Posts: 18,322
                     
Re: Blame the RoadMap

The Roadmap just irritates me. I just liked the Tier system better. Like when Stuttgart was indoor hard.

And the dish ran away with the spoon..
but Hawaii was the only state that would recognize the marriage as legal.
FITD champ - brisbane 2014
Jane Lane is offline  
post #12 of 69 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2011, 06:02 PM
Senior Member
 
sammy01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: England
Posts: 25,415
                     
Re: Blame the RoadMap

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejmeglekvár View Post
top10 players minimum commitments according to rulebook
4 Premier Mandatory
4 Premier-5
2 Premier-700
4 GS (obviously)
+ YEC

this is 15 tournament/21 weeks overall. "extremely high demand of time"?
i think people don't get what goes into properly preparing for a tournament if you intend to go the distance and win it. most top playrs turn up a good few days before each tournament, plus they have the press commitments they must do also. it is not a case of turn up monday morning and rack upto the match court.

say a top player turns up 3 days early to each tournament on average, that is an extra 6 weeks worth of time taken up by being at tournaments. so 21 weeks has turned into 27 weeks. most players are wanting to play fed cup because of the olympics, so there is another possible 3 weeks.

so your 'only' 15 tournaments has turned into a 30 week stint of time taken.

Anna Chakvetadze Rules

Kim Clijsters - Supporting the comeback!

I have no other faves, I just hate
sammy01 is offline  
post #13 of 69 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2011, 06:17 PM
Everybody's a star!!!
 
Shvedbarilescu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Great Britain
Posts: 23,502
                     
Re: Blame the RoadMap

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy01 View Post
i think people don't get what goes into properly preparing for a tournament if you intend to go the distance and win it. most top playrs turn up a good few days before each tournament, plus they have the press commitments they must do also. it is not a case of turn up monday morning and rack upto the match court.

say a top player turns up 3 days early to each tournament on average, that is an extra 6 weeks worth of time taken up by being at tournaments. so 21 weeks has turned into 27 weeks. most players are wanting to play fed cup because of the olympics, so there is another possible 3 weeks.

so your 'only' 15 tournaments has turned into a 30 week stint of time taken.
Get off it. Of course of players have to invest additional time for travel and to prepare for events. But this has always been the case. Nothing has changed. The bottom line is the top players don't play any more now than they used to. In fact they play less. Tejmeglekvár's post is spot on.

Shvedbarilescu is offline  
post #14 of 69 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2011, 06:23 PM
Sugar Co. CFO
 
tejmeglekvár's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 13,928
                     
Re: Blame the RoadMap

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy01 View Post
i think people don't get what goes into properly preparing for a tournament if you intend to go the distance and win it. most top playrs turn up a good few days before each tournament, plus they have the press commitments they must do also. it is not a case of turn up monday morning and rack upto the match court.

say a top player turns up 3 days early to each tournament on average, that is an extra 6 weeks worth of time taken up by being at tournaments. so 21 weeks has turned into 27 weeks. most players are wanting to play fed cup because of the olympics, so there is another possible 3 weeks.

so your 'only' 15 tournaments has turned into a 30 week stint of time taken.
comparing tournaments to weeks?

~30 week is still just half of the year.
What the fuck else they want to do?
you're talking like this is just a hobby for them.

The Queen of Screams
tejmeglekvár is offline  
post #15 of 69 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2011, 06:29 PM
Senior Member
 
goldenlox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: cyberspace
Posts: 97,109
                     
Re: Blame the RoadMap

If you lose early, like Sveta just did, she has a whole week off.
Losing early at IW didnt help her or Murray or Li do better in Miami

The most wasted of all days is one without laughter....
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there
Enjoy This Moment!!
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome