"Race to LA - positions 12 to 19" thread and what the situation is like tonight ...
Having deleted Hingis from that list, tragically enough, the race for the LA event remains interesting.
Tonight, both Chanda Rubina and Silvia Farina-Elia lost to players who are keen on playing there and it seems as if the situation gets even more and more interesting with tournaments splitting now and Nathalie Dechy among those who can climb the letter by avoiding to play one of the big names.
11) Farina as 11th, finishes Zurich with 1621points and intends not to play a prep event as far as I know as she´s to play the FedCup final soon and prepares for that. She is to play though she lost both of her last indoor matches: Leipzig 2nd round, Moscow and Filderstadt both 1st round.
12) Rubin is 12th, finished Zurich with 1527 points, she is likely to play though she lost twice in a row now too, starting in Filderstadt, today against Smashnova. She is to play Linz, so that should give her enough time to prepare for that singles-wise and make some points finally there.
13) Smashnova climbs to 13th so far today, as she won against Rubin and has 1478 points today. She has still to gain more points if going deep into that Zurich-event now and has Linz on her list too, she should be one of the surprising names (among Myskina, Hantuchova & Co.) to be in LA, as this is well deserved with a number of titles (though not indoors) to list.
14) Lindsay drops to 14th today, with 1431 points but her first match in Zurich, so far listed with just 1 point, is to be played later the week, so those 1431 points shouldn´t be her last word and she´s definetly "in". If she is to play Linz is to be asked too which will depend on her Zurich-result definetly.
15) Maleeva is at 15th, 1416 points for her, she is to play Mikaelin tonight and this will show if she overtakes Anna and Lindsay in the to be corrected list of LA contenders after this Sunday. She lost early in Filderstadt and Leipzig but won the event in Moscow, she is to play Luxemburg as the no2 seed next week, so with Zurich and Luxemburg to go, 2 more chances to make her points. If she beats Anne-Gaelle tonight, her way to LA seems more than wide open and free.
16) The last who would be qualified tonight is ElenaD, whose performance this week must have surprised her critics 2002 who saw her falling in singles but dramatically rising in doubles teaming Husarova. With 1367 points today, her single 1 point for Zurich could soon turn into more points if winning some matches. She´s to play Linz.
17) Dechy who faces Nagyova in the what has to be hardest 1st round in Bratislava this week, has 1270 points (1 point so far for Bratislava). If she wins that event she is hot for LA knowing that she is to play Luxemburg too and avoids major rivals by doing so in the last week for the qualifying. Others, including Elena won´t be seeded in Linz and could well go out there early and that would be it. I´ll give her a chance therefore though the road is difficult and 2 finals, whatever, seem to be necessary.
18) Ai rested in Filderstadt for unknown reasons. She is at 1242 points (1 for Zurich) so far, but as she chose Linz as the last event she chose the bigger field as well and it´s more than unlikely for her to make it. Not qualified probably in doubles too due to Fujiwara being injured, she is likely to play Pattaya instead of LA in the last week of the season
19) We´ve Speedy as the last one to mention, doing a fine and surprising job indoors, beating Silvia today. In a season where retirement was in discussion with every surprisin and early loss, she got to the semis in Moscow lately and this win today lifts her to 1205 points but chances of more to come this week and next where she chose Luxemburg where her chances of a dark horse position are very good.
So what do YOU guys make out of this ? Race over or do Dechy and Coetzer still have a chance ? Tell your thoughts ...
1621 Farina (1 for Zurich, out), -
1527 Rubin (1 for Zurich, out), Linz
1478 AnnaS (74 for Zurich, still in), Linz
1431 Lindsay (1 for Zurich, still in), ?
1416 Maleeva (1 for Zurich, still in), Luxemburg
1367 Elena (1 for Zurich, still in), Linz
1270 Dechy (1 for Bratislava, still in), Luxemburg
1242 Sugiyama (1 for Zurich, still in), Linz
1205 Coetzer (74 for Zurich, still in), Luxemburg