Non-Grand Slam winners Leading Year-to-Date Rankings - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2010, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
tennisphilia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,291
                     
Non-Grand Slam winners Leading Year-to-Date Rankings

Should the WTA tour add a rule to indicate that only current Grand Slam champions can hold the #1 ranking? This would prevent the likes of Safina and Jankovic - wonderful players with good results - from holding the top-spot without proving they can win at least won of the four most prestigious titles in the tennis calendar.

Non-Grand Slam winners Leading Year-to-Date Rankings
>> Saturday, June 12, 2010

Three non-Slam winners are leading the Race to the Sony Ericsson Championships Singles Standings after 2 Grand Slams, and half-way through the 2010 season. Venus Williams, Jelena Jankovic, and Samantha Stosur are #1, #2, and #3 respectively in the year-to-date rankings as of June 7, 2010. The elder Williams and Jankovic did not even contest a Grand Slam final this year. Serena Williams, the Australian Open champion and Francesca Schiavone, the French Open champion, occupy the 4th and 5th places, respectively.

Article Link: http://www.tennisphilia.com/2010/06/...g-year-to.html

Tennisphilia.com | A tennis fan's blog. Haters, keep out!
Best 5 Players this Millenium: 1. Serena 2. Venus 3. Justine 4. Maria*** 5. Kim
tennisphilia is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2010, 02:28 PM
Senior Member
 
Caralenko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 15,667
                     
Re: Non-Grand Slam winners Leading Year-to-Date Rankings

You're like a year and a half late
Caralenko is offline  
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2010, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
tennisphilia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,291
                     
Re: Non-Grand Slam winners Leading Year-to-Date Rankings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caratantcheva View Post
You're like a year and a half late
Not really. The fact is that Venus Williams can rise to #1 in the world without being a current Grand Slam champion as soon as Wimbledon. That's on the scenario that Serena will lose in the first round, and Venus will JUST reach the finals.

Tennisphilia.com | A tennis fan's blog. Haters, keep out!
Best 5 Players this Millenium: 1. Serena 2. Venus 3. Justine 4. Maria*** 5. Kim
tennisphilia is offline  
post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2010, 02:40 PM
Isha > Your fave
 
Miss Amor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: London
Posts: 26,658
                     
Re: Non-Grand Slam winners Leading Year-to-Date Rankings

Might be because Serena didn't play for about 4 months (and point-wise, there isn't much of a difference between the top 4 players in the race as only 80 points seperate the number 2 from the number 4).
Miss Amor is offline  
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2010, 02:41 PM
Senior Member
 
Jajaloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 4,317
                     
Re: Non-Grand Slam winners Leading Year-to-Date Rankings

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisphilia View Post
Three non-Slam winners are leading the Race to the Sony Ericsson Championships Singles Standings after 2 Grand Slams, and half-way through the 2010 season. Venus Williams, Jelena Jankovic, and Samantha Stosur are #1, #2, and #3 respectively in the year-to-date rankings as of June 7, 2010.
People are finding more and more ways to bring it up. 3 "non-slam winners". Per Venus' 7 grand slams. They're talking about non-grand slam winners of this year topping the race to the champs It's not even non-slam winners ever topping the singles ranking.

Doubles Specialist Јеlena Jankovic
Crowd Favourite Victoria Azarenka
Former Tennis Player Petra Kvitová
Jajaloo is offline  
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2010, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
tennisphilia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,291
                     
Re: Non-Grand Slam winners Leading Year-to-Date Rankings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jajaloo View Post
They're talking about non-grand slam winners of this year topping the race to the champs
I guess the bigger question should be raised - shouldn't the WTA require the #1 player to be a current Grand Slam champion? I think it's a good question. It would prevent the confusion and controversy surrounding the rise of Safina and Jankovic (and to a lesser extent - maybe Clijsters in 2003 and Davenport in 2004). And, it would bring the title "top-ranked women's tennis player" to a higher standard.

Tennisphilia.com | A tennis fan's blog. Haters, keep out!
Best 5 Players this Millenium: 1. Serena 2. Venus 3. Justine 4. Maria*** 5. Kim
tennisphilia is offline  
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2010, 02:59 PM
Senior Member
 
JJ Expres's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 5,252
                     
Re: Non-Grand Slam winners Leading Year-to-Date Rankings

i have solution!?Calendar should have just 2 tournaments!!!cause premier tournaments and international tournaments are so useless...And FO is so bad.BAD public and stadium is so OLD and there are no lights!And AO is in January so early!
WE ALL THINK its all about WIM and US open ...

Better make topic:Rybarikova has a new dog or something like that.
JJ Expres is online now  
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Senior Member
 
So Disrespectful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 11,288
                     
Re: Non-Grand Slam winners Leading Year-to-Date Rankings

Changing the rules would send the wrong message to competitors. Great champions should play regularly if they take any pride in holding the number 1 ranking.

Daniela Hantuchova.

Casey Dellacqua, Jelena Jankovic, Anna-Lena Groenefeld,
Jelena Dokic, Mirjana Lucic, Sara Tomic, Sloane Stephens
Melanie Oudin, Kiki Bertens, Kaia Kanepi, Alison Riske
So Disrespectful is online now  
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Senior Member
 
Jajaloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 4,317
                     
Re: Non-Grand Slam winners Leading Year-to-Date Rankings

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisphilia View Post
I guess the bigger question should be raised - shouldn't the WTA require the #1 player to be a current Grand Slam champion? I think it's a good question. It would prevent the confusion and controversy surrounding the rise of Safina and Jankovic (and to a lesser extent - maybe Clijsters in 2003 and Davenport in 2004). And, it would bring the title "top-ranked women's tennis player" to a higher standard.
This has been floating around for a while, and as it's been said before, the rankings are simply used for seedings into tournaments. I know it seems biased because JJ is my favourite player, but i'd feel the same even if JJ had won a slam. If we discriminate and say only slam champions can be #1, where does it end? Only if you have won a Tier I/Premier Manadatory or Premier 5 you can be in the top 10? Only if you have won a tour title that year, can you play in the YEC?

Rankings are based on matches won in varying tournaments. More matches won, and the better you do at the bigger tournaments. The higher the ranking. Why should hard work not be rewarded with a higher ranking?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowdive! View Post
Changing the rules would send the wrong message to competitors. Great champions should play regularly if they take any pride in holding the number 1 ranking.

Preach

Doubles Specialist Јеlena Jankovic
Crowd Favourite Victoria Azarenka
Former Tennis Player Petra Kvitová
Jajaloo is offline  
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2010, 03:17 PM
Senior Member
 
Pseudosova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,756
                     
Re: Non-Grand Slam winners Leading Year-to-Date Rankings

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisphilia View Post
Should the WTA tour add a rule to indicate that only current Grand Slam champions can hold the #1 ranking? This would prevent the likes of Safina and Jankovic - wonderful players with good results - from holding the top-spot without proving they can win at least won of the four most prestigious titles in the tennis calendar.

Non-Grand Slam winners Leading Year-to-Date Rankings
>> Saturday, June 12, 2010

Three non-Slam winners are leading the Race to the Sony Ericsson Championships Singles Standings after 2 Grand Slams, and half-way through the 2010 season. Venus Williams, Jelena Jankovic, and Samantha Stosur are #1, #2, and #3 respectively in the year-to-date rankings as of June 7, 2010. The elder Williams and Jankovic did not even contest a Grand Slam final this year. Serena Williams, the Australian Open champion and Francesca Schiavone, the French Open champion, occupy the 4th and 5th places, respectively.

Article Link: http://www.tennisphilia.com/2010/06/...g-year-to.html
The rankings are fine. I like it the way it is.

Think about the consequences and implications of having a rule like this. The highest ranking a player can held is #2, even if she earns more points than the #1 in a calendar year, because she's never won a Grand Slam. It really demeans all the hard work this player has put in by playing a consistent year with possible/usually a Grand Slam semi-final or final result. Winning the crown is the difference of one or two matches... and yeah if you don't get there, too bad. Stay at #2.

This only encourages the Williams sisters that their disregard of normal tournaments is correct and justified. Just turn up for the Grand Slams - why do the smaller tournaments matter if their points only get you to #2 anyway.

If a player has consistently good results for the entire season and missed out on a Grand Slam title by one match, but still earned the highest number of points, she very well deserves the #1 spot. It will be a bigger farce if she's denied that spot, just because the 2nd placed player has a previous Slam title.

So long...
Pseudosova is offline  
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2010, 03:18 PM
Senior Member
 
Umberella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Under her umberella
Posts: 3,215
                     
Re: Non-Grand Slam winners Leading Year-to-Date Rankings

Take Schiavone for example - because of a stellar performance at a GS, she rose from 17 (i think?) to a well-deserved 6. Thats a massive jump. I think the GS have a significant enough effect as it is.

At the end of the day, a GS is still only one single tournament. A smart player, like Serena, will play her best at the Grand Slams. Thats obvious. But the other tournaments do count, and if someone is consistent enough throughout the year, they still deserve their number 1 ranking (like Safina a while ago). I think the way it is now is good - GS should be worth a lot more points, but they don't mean everything.
Umberella is offline  
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2010, 03:20 PM
Senior Member
 
Pseudosova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,756
                     
Re: Non-Grand Slam winners Leading Year-to-Date Rankings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jajaloo View Post
Rankings are based on matches won in varying tournaments. More matches won, and the better you do at the bigger tournaments. The higher the ranking. Why should hard work not be rewarded with a higher ranking?
Exactly.

So long...
Pseudosova is offline  
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2010, 05:37 PM
Senior Member
 
Rolling-Thunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 1,870
                     
Re: Non-Grand Slam winners Leading Year-to-Date Rankings

NO such a rule would be unfair and counter productive.
Rolling-Thunder is offline  
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Senior Member
 
Renalicious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 21,765
                     
Re: Non-Grand Slam winners Leading Year-to-Date Rankings

Rankings rankings Such an old topic.

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/40...0/850/82s7.png
serena, jankovic, venus, na, hsieh, date-krumm, jovanovski
makarova, diatchenko, halep, goerges and kvitova

My Youtube Channel
Renalicious is offline  
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2010, 05:51 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 23,129
                     
Re: Non-Grand Slam winners Leading Year-to-Date Rankings

It would really be amazing if we had 3 grand slam winners leading the race when only 2 slams have been played




Psycho Killer
Qu'est-ce que c'est
fa fa fa fa fa fa fa fa fa far better
Run run run run run run run away
Rui. is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome