Serena and the mens game... - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 76 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2010, 04:37 PM
Senior Member
 
propi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Lost in Space
Posts: 34,138
                     
Re: Serena and the mens game...

Nadal comparison here is pretty bold...
He always hates to lose and gives 100 % no matter the tournamet unless he's injured or so, why on earth did he played WTF last year?? He could have pulled out but he preferred to play (and lose badly) the 3 matches.
He played his heart out in two Rome finals where he won saving match points in consecutive years vs. Cañas and Federer, he stayed 4 hours on court vs. Novak last year in Madrid semis when the more practical thing was pulled out as he virtually had no chances in the final after such an effort... and none of these are GS.
Why does he keep on playing (and winning) Monte Carlo or Barcelona
Like people on MTF says, he's a Spartan
Finally the importance of each tournament depends on the player, Anglo saxon players usually don't give a sh*t about Roland Garros despite its importance but for Hispanic players winning in Paris is the climax of a tennis career

"Qui n'a connu
Douleur immense
N'aura qu'un aperçu
Du temps
"


propi is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 76 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2010, 04:39 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Living in technicolor
Posts: 15,798
                     
Re: Serena and the mens game...

Quote:
Originally Posted by volta View Post
This thread is about to get ugly *Get's popcorn*


You forget to mention Murray. Didn't he actually say this his focus is mainly on the slams this year and that he uses the smaller tournaments to "experiment" and work on his game?

I think that Venus and Serena are smart in focusing on the slams, but I feel like Venus tries to make things happen outside the slams now.

As for Fed. I don't know. He always seemed like the type of guy who hates losing more than anything, even more than Serena does. His main focus is clearly on the Slams, but he still cares a great deal about winning any other tournament as well.
Marilyn Monheaux is offline  
post #18 of 76 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2010, 04:41 PM
Rena's Army
 
BuTtErFrEnA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: "The Terror of Veerror"
Posts: 34,517
                     
Re: Serena and the mens game...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenaSlam View Post
im soooo confused as to why you are assuming he thinks serena likes losing? like you just went off on a deep in for no reason and mentioning saint federer and sinnerena etc was why? you are translating peoples opinion as negative and shouldn't. you may want to try and re-respond to it based of an "open" mind. something your "fav player" serena has...just an fyi
are you retarded?

read his post again...the fact that his defense to the thread was, "federer hates to lose" is implicit of thinking he's not doing the same thing, especially with reference to WHO he quoted....learn to read

and in case you missed it, this was already discussed on this forum so i know what most people here think about this "new" idea you have...before you jump on me and BlameSerena for what we know happens here, get a grip on your own reality

Raúl hasta siempre capitán ♥♥♥


I shall destroy the temple, and rebuild it in 3 days
BuTtErFrEnA is offline  
 
post #19 of 76 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2010, 04:44 PM
Rena's Army
 
BuTtErFrEnA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: "The Terror of Veerror"
Posts: 34,517
                     
Re: Serena and the mens game...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginMary View Post


You forget to mention Murray. Didn't he actually say this his focus is mainly on the slams this year and that he uses the smaller tournaments to "experiment" and work on his game?

I think that Venus and Serena are smart in focusing on the slams, but I feel like Venus tries to make things happen outside the slams now.

As for Fed. I don't know. He always seemed like the type of guy who hates losing more than anything, even more than Serena does. His main focus is clearly on the Slams, but he still cares a great deal about winning any other tournament as well.
actually Federer has said he loves winning and doesn't like the term "i hate to lose" since it's too negative but whatever works....the way both of them steel themselves in slams but can lose horridly outside of the slams to the same people tells me it doesn't make a difference

Raúl hasta siempre capitán ♥♥♥


I shall destroy the temple, and rebuild it in 3 days
BuTtErFrEnA is offline  
post #20 of 76 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2010, 04:48 PM
Senior Member
 
volta's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Porto
Posts: 12,974
                     
Re: Serena and the mens game...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenaSlam View Post
don't speak that!! i think its a good thread. apart from all the other BS threads. its a good question. drama is only what you make it. now go put that popcorn up! lol
Just saying it because the last time a thread like this was made it didn't end up well

Dominika Cibulkova
volta is offline  
post #21 of 76 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2010, 04:53 PM
Le Conte's Sparrow
 
fantic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 11,249
                     
Re: Serena and the mens game...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena y Monica View Post
Is it too early to tell if Roger and even Rafa are morphing into Serena...Show up during tour events...try but don't knock urself out and then turn it on at the slams?
I find that description kinda funny
fantic is offline  
post #22 of 76 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2010, 04:57 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Living in technicolor
Posts: 15,798
                     
Re: Serena and the mens game...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuTtErFrEnA View Post
actually Federer has said he loves winning and doesn't like the term "i hate to lose" since it's too negative but whatever works....the way both of them steel themselves in slams but can lose horridly outside of the slams to the same people tells me it doesn't make a difference
He did? Well, I always felt like Fed has this kind of "entitlement" to win every match since he's the greatest, a genius at work, etc and therefore shouldn't lose to other players (except for Rafa).

I agree with the poster who said that one reason why Fed is almost unbeatable at slams is the best-of-5 thing. I think him and Rafa must have the best 5-set stat on the entire tour. Most players can keep their level up long enough to beat either in 2 or 3 sets, but once it goes the distance Fed & Rafa have clear advantages.
Marilyn Monheaux is offline  
post #23 of 76 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2010, 04:58 PM
Rena's Army
 
BuTtErFrEnA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: "The Terror of Veerror"
Posts: 34,517
                     
Re: Serena and the mens game...

Quote:
Originally Posted by volta View Post
Just saying it because the last time a thread like this was made it didn't end up well
it's like thinking that each individual thread about serena won't draw serenastalker32

Raúl hasta siempre capitán ♥♥♥


I shall destroy the temple, and rebuild it in 3 days
BuTtErFrEnA is offline  
post #24 of 76 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2010, 05:02 PM
 
harloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Wonderland Arts Society
Posts: 19,163
                     
Re: Serena and the mens game...

Quote:
Originally Posted by propi View Post
Nadal comparison here is pretty bold...
He always hates to lose and gives 100 % no matter the tournamet unless he's injured or so, why on earth did he played WTF last year?? He could have pulled out but he preferred to play (and lose badly) the 3 matches.
He played his heart out in two Rome finals where he won saving match points in consecutive years vs. Cañas and Federer, he stayed 4 hours on court vs. Novak last year in Madrid semis when the more practical thing was pulled out as he virtually had no chances in the final after such an effort... and none of these are GS.
Why does he keep on playing (and winning) Monte Carlo or Barcelona
Like people on MTF says, he's a Spartan
Finally the importance of each tournament depends on the player, Anglo saxon players usually don't give a sh*t about Roland Garros despite its importance but for Hispanic players winning in Paris is the climax of a tennis career
Precisely, but if Nadal wants to extend his career he needs to pull back from smaller tournaments otherwise he's going to end up retiring early due to injury. I've always maintained that eventually Nadal's style of play would start to affect him physically if he didn't pick and choose wisely. And now you see him constantly struggling with a knee injury. I know he hates to lose and is very competitive but Uncle Tony should exercise a bit of wisdom and set a realistic schedule to protect his nephews longevity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcesHigh
I'll say this in public once. I miss serena so much. Fed is my favorite player but no one does it like her.

harloo is offline  
post #25 of 76 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2010, 05:08 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: LV-426
Posts: 36,748
                     
Re: Serena and the mens game...

At least Serena doesn't lose matches in back to back tournaments having had match points.
Protoss is offline  
post #26 of 76 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2010, 05:09 PM
Winner
 
Dave.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 14,997
                     
Re: Serena and the mens game...

I think something that is constantly misunderstood here is the difference between:

Not caring about tour events.

and

Trying harder in the slams.


ALL players try harder in the slams, but it doesn't mean they don't try or care about tour events. If Fedal really are not intending to "knock themselves out" at tour events then I'd wish they would lose even earlier cos for some reason it still feels like they're everywhere, and I wish they'd play like that against my faves more often!


Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenaSlam View Post
im soooo confused as to why you are assuming he thinks serena likes losing? like you just went off on a deep in for no reason and mentioning saint federer and sinnerena etc was why? you are translating peoples opinion as negative and shouldn't. you may want to try and re-respond to it based of an "open" mind. something your "fav player" serena has...just an fyi
It's his or her trademark by now. Good luck with that though.
Dave. is offline  
post #27 of 76 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2010, 05:10 PM
Rena's Army
 
BuTtErFrEnA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: "The Terror of Veerror"
Posts: 34,517
                     
Re: Serena and the mens game...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginMary View Post
He did? Well, I always felt like Fed has this kind of "entitlement" to win every match since he's the greatest, a genius at work, etc and therefore shouldn't lose to other players (except for Rafa).

I agree with the poster who said that one reason why Fed is almost unbeatable at slams is the best-of-5 thing. I think him and Rafa must have the best 5-set stat on the entire tour. Most players can keep their level up long enough to beat either in 2 or 3 sets, but once it goes the distance Fed & Rafa have clear advantages.
oh definitely!! it's why it was near impossible it seemed to beat rafa at RG or Fed on grass....it's one of the reasons WHY i admire the women's tour: you can't afford to lose two sets playing like crap, turn up in the 3rd and win in 5 cause your opponent can't keep it up for 5 sets...

Raúl hasta siempre capitán ♥♥♥


I shall destroy the temple, and rebuild it in 3 days
BuTtErFrEnA is offline  
post #28 of 76 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2010, 05:12 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 8,198
                     
Re: Serena and the mens game...

Quote:
Originally Posted by faboozadoo15 View Post
I think Federer gets beaten more in regular events than is majors because it's damn near impossible to win a 5 sets match against him. The shite players he loses to outside of majors couldn't maintain that level in a longer match.

And yes, his motivation is different. But it's not like he's tanking the masters series matches. He's losing highly competitive ones.
This.

Federer isnt *that* great. half the time people choke to him at Majors...They'll be in a position to win and then cant hit a ball in. And Rafa is on the downward sprial of his career...the clay courters never last long...

Venus Ebone Starr


Serena Williams

Madison Keys

Hantuchova
Tennisstar86 is offline  
post #29 of 76 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2010, 05:21 PM
Rena's Army
 
BuTtErFrEnA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: "The Terror of Veerror"
Posts: 34,517
                     
Re: Serena and the mens game...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave. View Post
I think something that is constantly misunderstood here is the difference between:

Not caring about tour events.

and

Trying harder in the slams.


ALL players try harder in the slams, but it doesn't mean they don't try or care about tour events. If Fedal really are not intending to "knock themselves out" at tour events then I'd wish they would lose even earlier cos for some reason it still feels like they're everywhere, and I wish they'd play like that against my faves more often!




It's his or her trademark by now. Good luck with that though.
what's to have an open mind about your post is EXACTLY the same as it was when this was discussed before...so tell me who looks like the bigger tool here

if you aren't putting 100% effort into something it doesn't matter what you phrase it as...THAT'S your issue, not mine...you try to differentiate what federer and serena are doing by using different terminology when in fact the contrast in their play at slams and at regular events is plain to see...even some of the people on MTF have caught on...

and what you say is NOT true....some players go all out for regular events especially when you're young and in your own prime, why? because not everyone can go on mental walkabouts for the majority of the time and expect that when time comes to play a slam at 100% they can give it...

if i'm davydenko with Federer - I beat him with incredible play, being able to force errors out of him or simply hit pass him and broke him routinely...we meet in a QF of a slam and for a set and a half i was doing it, then all of a sudden the shots he was missing are going in, and my shots that were winners are coming back...

if i'm stosur with Serena - I beat her in 3 sets with her df on mp, she wasn't getting to my shots, she was making errors of her own, i could read her serve and break her and my serve was holding up....all of a sudden we're at my home slam and now i can't get a touch of her, and a match that was hyped came to nothing as serena tore me a new one

you're telling me, that there's a difference there despite whatever you want to call it?

Raúl hasta siempre capitán ♥♥♥


I shall destroy the temple, and rebuild it in 3 days
BuTtErFrEnA is offline  
post #30 of 76 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2010, 05:31 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 15,213
                     
Re: Serena and the mens game...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginMary View Post


You forget to mention Murray. Didn't he actually say this his focus is mainly on the slams this year and that he uses the smaller tournaments to "experiment" and work on his game?

I think that Venus and Serena are smart in focusing on the slams, but I feel like Venus tries to make things happen outside the slams now.

As for Fed. I don't know. He always seemed like the type of guy who hates losing more than anything, even more than Serena does. His main focus is clearly on the Slams, but he still cares a great deal about winning any other tournament as well.
Serena soley focuses on the slams; Venus focuses on both.

That's the major difference between the sisters.

Specifically, Serena uses tour events as tune up (besides Miami) for the upcoming slams.

With Venus, she hopes for the best at the AO, sucks at RG, and really tries at Wimbledon and US Open.
Veerror is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome