Why do people call Aga a pusher? - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 2010, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
AcesHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 10,199
                     
Why do people call Aga a pusher?

This is something I do not get for the life of me

I see Aga as a young player who has yet to fully develop her game. However, I often see glimpses of brilliance. Many times she can be incredibly smart on the court, constructing points beautifully. How she works angles and varying spins takes a lot of skill, not to mention her dropshots and lobs.

Of course she can play the role of a purely defensive player and she's definitely had stinkers... but I think calling her a pusher seems a little ignorant, no?

I always wanted to be somebody. If I made it, it's half because I was game enough to take a lot of punishment along the way and half because there were a lot of people who cared enough to help me.
-Althea Gibson


Quote:
Originally Posted by darrinbaker00 View Post
When will you learn that "pushers" never make it past the club level, let alone #1 on the WTA computer? Will it be too late?
AcesHigh is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 2010, 07:32 PM
Senior Member
 
fouc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 8,624
                     
Re: Why do people call Aga a pusher?

people call her pusher because she lack power, period.
fouc is offline  
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Senior Member
 
BournemouthBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 879
                     
Re: Why do people call Aga a pusher?

players with a good all round game are often labelled pushered by people who don't understand tennis.

Patty Schnyder & Klara "kookie" Krew
BournemouthBoy is offline  
post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 2010, 07:34 PM
Senior Member
 
Ingokoer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Leipzig, Germany
Posts: 433
                     
Re: Why do people call Aga a pusher?

I think thats for the same reasons why they call Caro a pusher. In most matches, Aga and Caro hit less winners than their opponents and only benefit from errors. They haven't that killer instinct and also no real aggression and power in their game. Aga's second serve is a shame for a Top 10 player, it is like the serve of a 6 year old girl.

Thats why Aga and Caro will always have a negative head to head against aggressive players like Williams sisters, Sharapova, Clijsters, Henin...

Simona Halep, Petra Kvitova, Sabine Lisicki, Flavia Pennetta

STEFFI GRAF, KIM CLIJSTERS, LINDSAY DAVENPORT & AMÉLIE MAURESMO
Ingokoer is offline  
post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 2010, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
AcesHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 10,199
                     
Re: Why do people call Aga a pusher?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingokoer View Post
I think thats for the same reasons why they call Caro a pusher. In most matches, Aga and Caro hit less winners than their opponents and only benefit from errors. They haven't that killer instinct and also no real aggression and power in their game. Aga's second serve is a shame for a Top 10 player, it is like the serve of a 6 year old girl.

Thats why Aga and Caro will always have a negative head to head against aggressive players like Williams sisters, Sharapova, Clijsters, Henin...
The difference between them though, is that I can't think of any matches where Caro uses the entire court, or constructs points like I know Aga can.. I havent seen much of a net game from Caro or much variety to be honest. I think "pusher" is a stupid term overall, but there is some truth to the claim that Wozniacki's game is very "limited"

I always wanted to be somebody. If I made it, it's half because I was game enough to take a lot of punishment along the way and half because there were a lot of people who cared enough to help me.
-Althea Gibson


Quote:
Originally Posted by darrinbaker00 View Post
When will you learn that "pushers" never make it past the club level, let alone #1 on the WTA computer? Will it be too late?

Last edited by AcesHigh; Mar 30th, 2010 at 07:48 PM.
AcesHigh is offline  
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 2010, 07:41 PM
Senior Member
 
DOUBLEFIST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: LA
Posts: 10,479
                     
Re: Why do people call Aga a pusher?

I don't find Aga to be a pusher. I think she's a counter-puncher who lacks a superior weapon. I think her style of play differs greatly from Caro's.

JA ME KA IS THE GOAT!!!
21!!!!Now WHAT?!
Queen Vee , Keys!, Steffi , Maria,Pre-Carlos Na A-Rad
DOUBLEFIST is offline  
post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 2010, 07:41 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 533
                     
Re: Why do people call Aga a pusher?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingokoer View Post
I think thats for the same reasons why they call Caro a pusher. In most matches, Aga and Caro hit less winners than their opponents and only benefit from errors. They haven't that killer instinct and also no real aggression and power in their game. Aga's second serve is a shame for a Top 10 player, it is like the serve of a 6 year old girl.

Thats why Aga and Caro will always have a negative head to head against aggressive players like Williams sisters, Sharapova, Clijsters, Henin...
false. aga is not a pusher. she has wonderful court craft, great touch, can volley quite well, and, i think, can hit harder than caroline. caroline has little variety, but merely stays on, or behind rather, the baselines pushing balls back with (sometimes) heavy spin. agnieska rocks
guapogreg08 is offline  
post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 2010, 07:42 PM
Senior Member
 
fawnrc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 407
                     
Re: Why do people call Aga a pusher?

I think she is less of a pusher now than a couple of years ago, Caro is also developing some power to her forehand. But for me it is mainly due to the power of their shots along with the fact that they appear to win against the top players if they are having off days (error filled). Ignorance is a strong way to describe the fact that some call them pushers, but to each his own.
fawnrc is offline  
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: London
Posts: 7,720
                     
Re: Why do people call Aga a pusher?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcesHigh View Post
This is something I do not get for the life of me

I see Aga as a young player who has yet to fully develop her game. However, I often see glimpses of brilliance. Many times she can be incredibly smart on the court, constructing points beautifully. How she works angles and varying spins takes a lot of skill, not to mention her dropshots and lobs.

Of course she can play the role of a purely defensive player and she's definitely had stinkers... but I think calling her a pusher seems a little ignorant, no?
Its very simple really. If you cannot serve 125mph and hit the ball really hard (doesn't matter if the ball lands way outside the court. Its still GOOD), you are a pusher.
TennisFan66 is offline  
post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 2010, 07:46 PM
Senior Member
 
hingisGOAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,916
                     
Re: Why do people call Aga a pusher?

Radwanska is no "all court player," what an insult to actual all-court players! Her forecourt game is pathetic, very weak volleys and a lifeless forehand. If anything Radwanska is a "C" level junkballer, with lots of lame defensive shots that aren't at all powerful and don't have enough spin to be harmful to an opponent playing at 60% or more of their level....

"It’s always been, ‘I wonder what she’s got, Sharapova?’, because I don’t see that she’s got something that special… Or do you know? Can you tell? What’s so exceptional about her?”

-- Legend, shortly before crushing Vulturepova
hingisGOAT is offline  
post #11 of 59 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 2010, 07:49 PM
Senior Member
 
fouc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 8,624
                     
Re: Why do people call Aga a pusher?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hingisGOAT View Post
Radwanska is no "all court player," what an insult to actual all-court players! Her forecourt game is pathetic, very weak volleys and a lifeless forehand. If anything Radwanska is a "C" level junkballer, with lots of lame defensive shots that aren't at all powerful and don't have enough spin to be harmful to an opponent playing at 60% or more of their level....
fouc is offline  
post #12 of 59 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 2010, 07:52 PM
Senior Member
 
hingisGOAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,916
                     
Re: Why do people call Aga a pusher?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fouc View Post
Radwanska's volleys are sad, learn to volley before rolling your eyes at everything

"It’s always been, ‘I wonder what she’s got, Sharapova?’, because I don’t see that she’s got something that special… Or do you know? Can you tell? What’s so exceptional about her?”

-- Legend, shortly before crushing Vulturepova
hingisGOAT is offline  
post #13 of 59 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 2010, 07:53 PM
;
 
joćo.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 20,728
                     
Re: Why do people call Aga a pusher?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BournemouthBoy View Post
players with a good all round game are often labelled pushered by people who don't understand tennis.
joćo. is online now  
post #14 of 59 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 2010, 07:54 PM
Le Conte's Sparrow
 
fantic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 11,226
                     
Re: Why do people call Aga a pusher?

not everyone can be like Hingis, so...

fantic is offline  
post #15 of 59 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 2010, 07:54 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: London
Posts: 7,720
                     
Re: Why do people call Aga a pusher?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hingisGOAT View Post
Radwanska is no "all court player," what an insult to actual all-court players! Her forecourt game is pathetic, very weak volleys and a lifeless forehand. If anything Radwanska is a "C" level junkballer, with lots of lame defensive shots that aren't at all powerful and don't have enough spin to be harmful to an opponent playing at 60% or more of their level....
From reading this, I would have thought Aga was ranked something like 250.
TennisFan66 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome