Arthur Ashe rolling in his grave... - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2009, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5
                     
Arthur Ashe rolling in his grave...

First some facts:

Serena herself said in the post match she thought she had committed a foot fault.

Nobody threatened to kill anyone. Serena said in the post match that she (when she was standing up at the umpire's chair afterward) had misheard what the linejudge was claiming she (Serena) had shouted. The "kill" rumor is now unleashed on the internet all because of...Serena. Again, the girl may indeed have enemies, but her biggest one is her own mouth.

Line judge was at least a foot smaller than Serena who charged over to her wielding a racket...just like the one she had earlier smashed into the ground (getting the first warning). Serena's language (and body language) was clearly that of someone out of control and I was actually afraid watching (live) that she was going to attack her.

The line judge went back to her position until the umpire called her over to ask what had transpired. If she was smiling, it was a very nervous kind of smiling...as in "I can't believe what is happening here, I'm not sure how to react."

In a bit of hilarity, McEnroe blurted out that the line judge couldn't possibly have determined whether it was a foot fault from the position she was standing in. Ironically, she was actually the only one aligned with the baseline and was the ONLY one able to make the call. That's kind of why they put a judge along that line Mac. The footage is all from behind the baseline (as was McEnroe's angle).

Serena's losing the match was not the result of one misstep...it was the culmination of a number of things. She looked like someone deliberately out to create some distraction (when her racket didn't break the first time, she picked it up and whacked the ground again...until it finally broke...mature professional that she is).

Serena behaved like thug. She was not in any way a victim of racism (although I'm sure her behavior will inspire a lot of racist commentary). She was playing in Arthur Ashe stadium (google him you nitwits). Ashe was known as above all a gentleman. He was passionate, sometimes fiery but always classy. Serena unfortunately is a very poor heir to his legacy. She ruined that match for herself, for the fans, and most of all for her opponent (who looked stunned and sad).
Serena is an embarrassment to American tennis and she should not be allowed to play in the doubles final. Maybe when she sees that her behavior has cost Venus as well, she snap out of her pathological selfish arrogance.
gamesetmatchgirl is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,981
                     
Re: Arthur Ashe rolling in his grave...

Arthur Ashe is incomparable to Serena.

thegreendestiny is offline  
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Senior Member
 
50Sense's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,863
                     
Re: Arthur Ashe rolling in his grave...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamesetmatchgirl View Post
First some facts:

Serena herself said in the post match she thought she had committed a foot fault.

Nobody threatened to kill anyone. Serena said in the post match that she (when she was standing up at the umpire's chair afterward) had misheard what the linejudge was claiming she (Serena) had shouted. The "kill" rumor is now unleashed on the internet all because of...Serena. Again, the girl may indeed have enemies, but her biggest one is her own mouth.

Line judge was at least a foot smaller than Serena who charged over to her wielding a racket...just like the one she had earlier smashed into the ground (getting the first warning). Serena's language (and body language) was clearly that of someone out of control and I was actually afraid watching (live) that she was going to attack her.

The line judge went back to her position until the umpire called her over to ask what had transpired. If she was smiling, it was a very nervous kind of smiling...as in "I can't believe what is happening here, I'm not sure how to react."

In a bit of hilarity, McEnroe blurted out that the line judge couldn't possibly have determined whether it was a foot fault from the position she was standing in. Ironically, she was actually the only one aligned with the baseline and was the ONLY one able to make the call. That's kind of why they put a judge along that line Mac. The footage is all from behind the baseline (as was McEnroe's angle).

Serena's losing the match was not the result of one misstep...it was the culmination of a number of things. She looked like someone deliberately out to create some distraction (when her racket didn't break the first time, she picked it up and whacked the ground again...until it finally broke...mature professional that she is).

Serena behaved like thug. She was not in any way a victim of racism (although I'm sure her behavior will inspire a lot of racist commentary). She was playing in Arthur Ashe stadium (google him you nitwits). Ashe was known as above all a gentleman. He was passionate, sometimes fiery but always classy. Serena unfortunately is a very poor heir to his legacy. She ruined that match for herself, for the fans, and most of all for her opponent (who looked stunned and sad).
Serena is an embarrassment to American tennis and she should not be allowed to play in the doubles final. Maybe when she sees that her behavior has cost Venus as well, she snap out of her pathological selfish arrogance.
How...profound.

You don't close your eyes, even for a milli-second,
when Serena is backed into a corner and looking to bust out.
50Sense is offline  
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Writer of Stuff
 
No.Brains.Atoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 8,761
                     
Re: Arthur Ashe rolling in his grave...

Well stated. She and Arthur Ashe are not cut from the same cloth. That is quite evident.

Heidi El Tabakh Allie Kiick* Monica Puig * Laura Robson * Bernarda Pera *Jovana Jaksic *


I Like Nice People
No.Brains.Atoll is offline  
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Worshipping the bangs
 
miffedmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Larsson's Player Forum
Posts: 55,795
                     
Re: Arthur Ashe rolling in his grave...

So? Arthur Ashe and Serena Williams are different people. If we're consistent, John McEnroe should have run down to the court and shaken Serena's hand.

Lena's bangs.

Max
Pass the duct tape and super glue. Lena's done broke my heart one last time.
Onward my LOB! Lena (ret.) Vika Vee TOB Caro Alexa Sabs Wicky Lesia Vania BMS Ekat Andi H. Jo-La Lena V KP2 Lil Bit Kiki Mini Mak Baby Veronika
V Squad, The LOB Elite: Vika, Venus and the Mad Viking of Norrland
Jo-La Duchess of Norrland and Bastad
Elena Viatcheslavovna Dementieva--Eternal Goddess of the Divine Bangs
miffedmax is online now  
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Senior Member
 
Paneru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 22,129
                     
Re: Arthur Ashe rolling in his grave...

Question: Why would Ashe be rolling in his grave?

Because Serena went off like the many of JMac and others?

Excuse me, but what does his "legacy" have to do with Serena other than both being black?

Am I perceiving that her simply being black or him being black somehow dictates
to the others legacy for that one sheer fact? Is that what is being got at?

Someone help me out here.
Paneru is offline  
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Senior Member
 
Selah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: here
Posts: 640
                     
Re: Arthur Ashe rolling in his grave...

And you had to create a new username to spout this drivel because you are too much of a coward to do it under your usual poster name? okay. Which one of your relatives are rolling in their grave after this? LOL
Selah is offline  
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2009, 05:06 PM
Senior Member
 
raquel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Legendary!
Posts: 7,096
                     
Re: Arthur Ashe rolling in his grave...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamesetmatchgirl View Post


Serena's losing the match was not the result of one misstep...it was the culmination of a number of things. She looked like someone deliberately out to create some distraction (when her racket didn't break the first time, she picked it up and whacked the ground again...until it finally broke...mature professional that she is).
I agree she didn't lose this because of that one foot fault call but she looked like someone deliberately out to create some distraction? I don't think so. The only person she would want to distract would be Kim and I don't think breaking a racket in front of Kim would distract her much at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamesetmatchgirl
Serena behaved like thug. She was not in any way a victim of racism (although I'm sure her behavior will inspire a lot of racist commentary). She was playing in Arthur Ashe stadium (google him you nitwits). Ashe was known as above all a gentleman. He was passionate, sometimes fiery but always classy. Serena unfortunately is a very poor heir to his legacy. She ruined that match for herself, for the fans, and most of all for her opponent (who looked stunned and sad).
Serena is an embarrassment to American tennis and she should not be allowed to play in the doubles final. Maybe when she sees that her behavior has cost Venus as well, she snap out of her pathological selfish arrogance.
I don't need to google Arthur Ashe, thanks. I do not think this one incident makes her a very poor heir to his legacy. She has acheived too much to have this one incident sum up her career and achievements.
raquel is offline  
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Senior Member
 
50Sense's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,863
                     
Re: Arthur Ashe rolling in his grave...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paneru View Post
Question: Why would Ashe be rolling in his grave?

Because Serena went off like the many of JMac and others?

Excuse me, but what does his "legacy" have to do with Serena other than both being black?

Am I perceiving that her simply being black or him being black somehow dictates
to the others legacy for that one sheer fact? Is that what is being got at?

Someone help me out here.
I don't think we've agreed on something since "the board that will not be named" but

You don't close your eyes, even for a milli-second,
when Serena is backed into a corner and looking to bust out.
50Sense is offline  
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2009, 05:17 PM
Senior Member
 
Diesel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,127
                     
Re: Arthur Ashe rolling in his grave...

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Heart Mimi View Post
Well stated. She and Arthur Ashe are not cut from the same cloth. That is quite evident.
Serena and Ashe only have race in common. That is the dumbest and most base way to make a connection. Only an idiot who sees in simplistic racist terms could paint people with that type of brush. How do black, white, Asians act oh wise great observer of the races?

Björk
Imperious in victory. Never conceiving the possibility of defeat. The greatest of her era. The self-belief, that smile, backhand, muscles, serve, personality, all larger than life. There's no greater sight in women's tennis than watching Serena J. Williams go to work.
The others are Great, but Serena's the Greatest
Diesel is offline  
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2009, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5
                     
Re: Arthur Ashe rolling in his grave...

Arthur Ashe broke down barriers for black kids who were previously discouraged from playing a "country club" sport. Serena (and Venus) have often referred to themselves as beneficiary's of his legacy and they have worked to carry on that legacy through their frequent participation in Arthur Ashe kids day. They speak of themselves as feeling a connection to him because they're black and he was black (this didn't strike them as odd leap to make, but apparently you don't see a connection) and still a minority in the sport.
gamesetmatchgirl is offline  
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2009, 05:29 PM
Senior Member
 
Paneru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 22,129
                     
Re: Arthur Ashe rolling in his grave...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamesetmatchgirl View Post
Arthur Ashe broke down barriers for black kids who were previously discouraged from playing a "country club" sport. Serena (and Venus) have often referred to themselves as beneficiary's of his legacy and they have worked to carry on that legacy through their frequent participation in Arthur Ashe kids day. They speak of themselves as feeling a connection to him because they're black and he was black (this didn't strike them as odd leap to make, but apparently you don't see a connection) and still a minority in the sport.
Apparently you forget that they are all people first before a color.

Plus, carrying on a legacy of giving minorities hope that they can play too doesn't mean that either have to mirror all of whom he was as a person. Again, they are all people first an individuals they have all served to encourage kids.

Jim Brown and Arthur Ashe did a lot for civil rights. In their own ways. Jim wasn't Arthur and Arthur wasn't Jim. Yet Jim berated Arthur for not standing and fighting the fight the way he did. What Jim had to realize was that they were people first before a color. People are different and sharing a cause does not mean they are or should be the same in anything else.
Paneru is offline  
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2009, 05:31 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 17,807
                     
Re: Arthur Ashe rolling in his grave...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paneru View Post
Question: Why would Ashe be rolling in his grave?

Because Serena went off like the many of JMac and others?

Excuse me, but what does his "legacy" have to do with Serena other than both being black?

Am I perceiving that her simply being black or him being black somehow dictates
to the others legacy for that one sheer fact? Is that what is being got at?

Someone help me out here.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
And you had to create a new username to spout this drivel because you are too much of a coward to do it under your usual poster name? okay. Which one of your relatives are rolling in their grave after this? LOL

Behind you one million percent Vicky D! You will prevail In Jesus Name. Amen.
21
oliviasmith is offline  
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2009, 05:33 PM
Senior Member
 
BlameSerena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: In the Clutch visiting S
Posts: 5,836
                     
Re: Arthur Ashe rolling in his grave...

Speaking for Arthur Ashe now are we....

As everyone has pointed out, Serena and Ashe are different people who deal with situations differently. Choose your preference.

I.M.S.
BlameSerena is offline  
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2009, 05:41 PM
Senior Member
 
ToeTag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,307
                     
Re: Arthur Ashe rolling in his grave...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamesetmatchgirl View Post
Arthur Ashe broke down barriers for black kids who were previously discouraged from playing a "country club" sport. Serena (and Venus) have often referred to themselves as beneficiary's of his legacy and they have worked to carry on that legacy through their frequent participation in Arthur Ashe kids day. They speak of themselves as feeling a connection to him because they're black and he was black (this didn't strike them as odd leap to make, but apparently you don't see a connection) and still a minority in the sport.
Althea Gibson did all that before Arthur.
ToeTag is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome