Reason why Safina is world no.1 - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
BournemouthBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 879
                     
Reason why Safina is world no.1

just to clear this up for the once a year tennis fans..

1st serve is a killer, alot of easy points from it. This makes up for any double faults.
2nd Serve is also very good when it lands in.

wins most exchanges once ball is in play with her MASSIVE winners.

she can play awful and come back from a set down in 2 matches back to back and still look likely to go deep in the US Open.

Won the most tournements in the WTA this season.

Consistant all year round.
Won 36 of her last 42 matches

She owns the Clay

she has made at least the semi finals in all 3 slams so far in 2009 oh and semis in the 2008 US Open.

Worst No.1 ever??? (man with head in hands)


Hope this helps.

Patty Schnyder & Klara "kookie" Krew
BournemouthBoy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 06:07 PM
Senior Member
 
Dawson.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 6,291
                     
Re: Reason why Safina is world no.1

Your not going to catch any 'once a year' tennis fans in a tennis forum

Kuznetsova

... for some reason.
Dawson. is offline  
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 06:09 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 3,007
                     
Re: Reason why Safina is world no.1

If Barrois and the girl in the first round hadn't choked on a chicken bone she would've been packing her bags for Russia like her friend Dementieva.
Serendy Willick is offline  
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 06:10 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 352
                     
Re: Reason why Safina is world no.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by e5dawsonj View Post
Your not going to catch any 'once a year' tennis fans in a tennis forum
but he is going to catch many haters around here
freeyourstyle is offline  
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 06:11 PM
Senior Member
 
CloudAtlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: London
Posts: 2,863
                     
Re: Reason why Safina is world no.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendy Willick View Post
If Barrois and the girl in the first round hadn't choked on a chicken bone she would've been packing her bags for Russia like her friend Dementieva.


Safina has done this far too often for it to simply be her opponnet choking. Clearly she does something when she's trailing in a match , unless that match is a GS final.
CloudAtlas is offline  
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 06:14 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 3,007
                     
Re: Reason why Safina is world no.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidal1402 View Post
Safina has done this far too often for it to simply be her opponnet choking. Clearly she does something when she's trailing in a match , unless that match is a GS final.
I hate to be rude, but did you not see that first round? Barrois up a break in the third, then had three break points to get it back today shanks it with some hideous errors and doubles.
Serendy Willick is offline  
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 06:18 PM
Senior Member
 
Olórin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 13,699
                     
Re: Reason why Safina is world no.1

The reason she is world number one is that Serena Williams has failed to live up to seeding in nearly every non-slam tournament in the past 12 months.

This really is the only reason. In any other era Safina wouldn't be number one, regardless of how good she actually is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alla Luce View Post
(1)A lot is being made of the record Serena has vs Sharapova. It is being used as THE reason she will win again lol. Good thing we have players like Tomas Berdych (who had an even worse record vs Nadal) to remind us of the fallacy of this nonsense logic.
(2)You stans may as well sleep well tonight because tomorrow the a replay of Lucie's winning moment over and over again will haunt your dreams for weeks to come
(3)The stars have aligned perfectly for the upset of the 21st century. All the best Garbine
(4) There is no path to victory for Williams.Keys wins in straight easy sets.
Olórin is offline  
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 06:23 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 10
                     
Re: Reason why Safina is world no.1

Safina's 1st and 2nd serve is not that GREAT or she wouldn't be struggling like she is now with it. Her 2nd serve is quite attackable. It certainly does not make up for the 10+ double faults every match as you say. Any decent returner like WS, Azarenka, Sharapova and a few others can accurately and consistently return her serves. Against other top players she does not win most of the exchanges because they can equal or surpass her in power and MOVEMENT. You have a valid point on consistency.
cozart411 is offline  
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 06:23 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 9,433
                     
Re: Reason why Safina is world no.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena~lover View Post
The reason she is world number one is that Serena Williams has failed to live up to seeding in nearly every non-slam tournament in the past 12 months.

This really is the only reason. In any other era Safina wouldn't be number one, regardless of how good she actually is.

:
Venus and Serena Williams
Caro Wozniacki
SoClose is offline  
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 06:25 PM
country flag pov
Senior Member
 
pov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 26,197
                     
Re: Reason why Safina is world no.1

Safina!!!

Yeah she has so far choked when it comes to the finals of a major)

Apart from that her record as a #1 is stellar.
pov is offline  
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 06:26 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 3,007
                     
Re: Reason why Safina is world no.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena~lover View Post
The reason she is world number one is that Serena Williams has failed to live up to seeding in nearly every non-slam tournament in the past 12 months.

This really is the only reason. In any other era Safina wouldn't be number one, regardless of how good she actually is.
Safina has had her bad patches too. Between the AO and Clay court season she didnt light it up, she certainly hasnt lit it up during the US Open series (except Cincy)
Serendy Willick is offline  
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 06:28 PM
 
harloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Wonderland Arts Society
Posts: 18,991
                     
Re: Reason why Safina is world no.1

Safina fans should be happy that she has a draw full of flops. If she played someone with more experience in the first two rounds she would be on a flight back to Russia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcesHigh
I'll say this in public once. I miss serena so much. Fed is my favorite player but no one does it like her.

harloo is offline  
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 06:29 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,546
                     
Re: Reason why Safina is world no.1

Shes #1 because her draws are a joke.... Basically, Safina had a great last year....and she played EVERY tournament....so shes got a lot protecting her ranking... at the start of the year yeah, she was gonna get to #1 because of how well she had done last year.... but now the reason shes stayed #1 is because her draws are a joke. shes not playing anyone.... The second she plays a real player she gets embarrassed.....Safina had form, she doesnt anymore and hasnt since the clay season.....she looks a mess on court....

Venus Ebone Starr


Serena Williams

Sharapova

Hantuchova
Tennisstar86 is offline  
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 06:31 PM
Senior Member
 
Dodoboy.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 38,958
                     
Re: Reason why Safina is world no.1

Serena is the reason
Dodoboy. is offline  
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 06:43 PM
Senior Member
 
Kunal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 12,930
                     
Re: Reason why Safina is world no.1

i guess there is so much talk going on about her being number one because she is fighting with herself so much.
I dont think ive seen a number one player struggle so much...despite the fact that she ends up winning most of her matches

I'm not young enough to know everything.
Kunal is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome