Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Wherever Martina goes...
Re: Top 5 most talented players to ever play on the WTA Tour
When I think of the word talent, I think of it as a natural ability that cannot be taught to the average tennis player. The natural ability that is able to propel them to the top of the game.
1. Steffi Graf - Her backhand remains to be the most overlooked shot in the history of the game. But with its variety - slicing it deep, slicing it low, and slicing it for a drop, it's hardly a shot that can be taught to anyone playing the game, yet it's so natural to her. Her backhand slice remains to be the best slice the game has ever stumbled upon. If only people realized how effective it was, perhaps we would be seeing more of that type of tennis being played at the very top of the modern game. Or maybe perhaps people realize it's a shot that cannot be taught. I don't mention her forehand because it's the shot she is already famous for.
2. Serena Williams - I'm listing her as one of my top 5 not because of her game or her athleticism, but her gift up in the noggin. No one else I know has the mental fortitude of Serena Williams, and it definitely cannot be taught to the average athlete. It's what propelled her up to the top, and it's what gave her the edge to win her first grand slam a year before her big sis. It's also what makes her the greatest of this generation, winning 3 grand slams while saving match points en route.
3. Hingis - Simply put, she has every shot in the repertiore, and not only that, she can bust them out at the most critical moments that make you go WTF. Let's not forget about her anticipation and court sense. She works the point like a chess match - you better not have a glaring weakness if you're playing Martina Hingis. She is the most naturally gifted tennis player perhaps ever to grace the game.
4. Venus Williams - Based on athleticism. Who else can cover the court like Venus Williams...there are people that may come close but I feel she is fastest player on tour at her peak. Again, you can train someone to run faster but some people are just natural at it.
5. Monica Seles - She will probably forever be the best player to have 2 hands on both wings. While it is a liability to have 2 on both sides, because it has less reach, at her peak it didn't really matter because she was always the one controlling her opponent. And it wasn't just of her power. Her ball placement was just...unheard of, til this day. Her returns come back at you faster than a serve, and at a more acute angle, and she does this day in and out. She also had a great mental fortitude though a bit lesser than Serena's.
Good Luck Radwanska Sisters!
Sorana Cirstea - Stefanie Voegele - Michelle Larcher de Brito - Alexandra Dulgheru
Martina I will miss you!!