Holding 3 Slams but not #1 - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 66 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2009, 01:56 AM Thread Starter
Most Loved Member
 
Kworb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 11,143
                     
Holding 3 Slams but not #1

If Serena wins Wimbledon she will hold 3 Slams but Safina will still be #1. I think the last time this happened was in early 1997 when Hingis became #1 while Graf was still holding RG, Wimbledon and US Open. Anyone know if there are more examples of this happening?

2016 saviors of the WTA

ANGELIQUE KERBER 63 75 DOMINIKA CIBULKOVA 60 60
LOUISA CHIRICO 60 60 IRINA-CAMELIA BEGU 63 62 KARIN KNAPP 63 67 60
Kworb is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 66 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2009, 02:12 AM
Hoping for less D'oh and more woohoo!
 
Slammer7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: L♥ving an Angel
Posts: 14,466
                     
Re: Holding 3 Slams but not #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kworb View Post
If Serena wins Wimbledon she will hold 3 Slams but Safina will still be #1. I think the last time this happened was in early 1997 when Hingis became #1 while Graf was still holding RG, Wimbledon and US Open. Anyone know if there are more examples of this happening?
No. Actually the last time it happened was in the summer of 2003 when Clijsters was #1 while Serena held the 02 U.S Open, 03 AO and 03 Wimbledon.

Proud Blackjack!
Quote:
Originally Posted by meyerpl View Post
Isn't Mary Carillo a dried up, bitter, menopausal, frustrated harpy.....?
Slammer7 is offline  
post #3 of 66 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2009, 02:15 AM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Havok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Montreal
Posts: 8,193
                     
Re: Holding 3 Slams but not #1

Just goes to show you to be #1 you still need to participate in a decent amount of additional tournaments and do well in them.

Jelena Dokic.Vera Zvonareva.Tatiana Golovin.Mary Pierce.Monica Seles.Martina Hingis.Anna Kournikova


Havok is offline  
post #4 of 66 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2009, 02:20 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 9,804
                     
Re: Holding 3 Slams but not #1

Serena could've been ranked 2nd even if she had won both Roland Garros and Wimbledon in addition to her US and Australian Opens titles. The current ranking system is a big fat joke.
AnnaK_4ever is offline  
post #5 of 66 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2009, 02:23 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,194
                     
Re: Holding 3 Slams but not #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaK_4ever View Post
Serena could've been ranked 2nd even if she had won both Roland Garros and Wimbledon in addition to her US and Australian Opens titles. The current ranking system is a big fat joke.
You are not updating your weekly ranking system even that shows Safina as no 1
how can WTA rank someone as no 1 if they dont play enough

If you're not paying for something, then you're the product.
Expat is offline  
post #6 of 66 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2009, 02:31 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 9,804
                     
Re: Holding 3 Slams but not #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalit View Post
You are not updating your weekly ranking system even that shows Safina as no 1
how can WTA rank someone as no 1 if they dont play enough
I'm gonna update it. In my system Serena would've been #1 had she won Roland Garros.
AnnaK_4ever is offline  
post #7 of 66 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2009, 02:43 AM
Hoping for less D'oh and more woohoo!
 
Slammer7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: L♥ving an Angel
Posts: 14,466
                     
Re: Holding 3 Slams but not #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naldo View Post
Just goes to show you to be #1 you still need to participate in a decent amount of additional tournaments and do well in them.
Serena did play enough in 02-03 and she did win enough titles too. She had 3 of the 4 Slams and the semis of the other. She also had 4 other WTA titles(7 in total) when she lost the #1 ranking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaK_4ever View Post
Serena could've been ranked 2nd even if she had won both Roland Garros and Wimbledon in addition to her US and Australian Opens titles. The current ranking system is a big fat joke.
You got that right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalit View Post
You are not updating your weekly ranking system even that shows Safina as no 1
how can WTA rank someone as no 1 if they dont play enough
In 2003 Serena held 7 titles and was the defending champ of 3 slams and could have lost the #1 ranking at Wimbledon that year if big sis didn't win that courageous match against Clijsters. Kim would have taken over the #1 ranking if she had reached the Wimbledon final. Even if she had lost to Serena she would have been #1. Even with 3 losses that year to Serena, Serena having 7 titles and 3 slams and Kim being slamless with the same number of titles in the last 52 weeks. Obviously Serena had more high value titles. The fact that she could have done it, and even if Serena hadn't gotten injured, Serena basically would have had to go undefeated the rest of the season to hold on to the #1 ranking. Now you have to admit that is just stupid. All because Kim played 22 tournaments in 52 weeks.

Proud Blackjack!
Quote:
Originally Posted by meyerpl View Post
Isn't Mary Carillo a dried up, bitter, menopausal, frustrated harpy.....?
Slammer7 is offline  
post #8 of 66 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2009, 02:52 AM
Senior Member
 
Diesel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,127
                     
Re: Holding 3 Slams but not #1

I'll take the three slams then and be happy about it.

Björk
Imperious in victory. Never conceiving the possibility of defeat. The greatest of her era. The self-belief, that smile, backhand, muscles, serve, personality, all larger than life. There's no greater sight in women's tennis than watching Serena J. Williams go to work.
The others are Great, but Serena's the Greatest
Diesel is offline  
post #9 of 66 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2009, 03:40 AM
Senior Member
 
NadalNut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 4,834
                     
Re: Holding 3 Slams but not #1

safina had an amazing clay season and reached finals of 2/4 slams. Serena has only done good in the slams, everything isn't worth mentioning. you can't just play 12 tourneys and be #1 esppecially when someone else is playing more and winnning more matches.

Nadal Verdasco López
Doing my part to annoy the status quo.
NadalNut is offline  
post #10 of 66 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2009, 03:43 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 9,232
                     
Re: Holding 3 Slams but not #1

I think Serena winning Wimbledon would be a good chance to show the world just how useless rankings are as a measure of ability.
Donny is offline  
post #11 of 66 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2009, 03:43 AM
Senior Member
 
hingisGOAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,922
                     
Re: Holding 3 Slams but not #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slammer7 View Post
All because Kim played 22 tournaments in 52 weeks.
I like how you say it as though we should fault Kim for her dedication As if 22 tournaments is some astronomical number, when there are women who play 30+

"It’s always been, ‘I wonder what she’s got, Sharapova?’, because I don’t see that she’s got something that special… Or do you know? Can you tell? What’s so exceptional about her?”

-- Legend, shortly before crushing Vulturepova
hingisGOAT is offline  
post #12 of 66 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2009, 03:46 AM
NeverWoz
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 26,898
                     
Re: Holding 3 Slams but not #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by heylookimgay View Post
I like how you say it as though we should fault Kim for her dedication As if 22 tournaments is some astronomical number, when there are women who play 30+

Especially when she went deep in almost all of them. How evil of her. Playing a lot, and being in the top 5, is a great thing, because it almost always means you're winning a lot too.
Ryan is offline  
post #13 of 66 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2009, 03:56 AM
it's just me against the music.
 
In The Zone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 26,601
                     
Re: Holding 3 Slams but not #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaK_4ever View Post
Serena could've been ranked 2nd even if she had won both Roland Garros and Wimbledon in addition to her US and Australian Opens titles. The current ranking system is a big fat joke.
Yep. Had she defeated Safina in the French final, Safina would have been #1. If Safina improved on her 3rd round Wimbledon showing and Serena went on to win Wimbledon, mathematically, Safina could still be #1. That's insane.
In The Zone is offline  
post #14 of 66 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2009, 04:15 AM
Hoping for less D'oh and more woohoo!
 
Slammer7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: L♥ving an Angel
Posts: 14,466
                     
Re: Holding 3 Slams but not #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by heylookimgay View Post
I like how you say it as though we should fault Kim for her dedication As if 22 tournaments is some astronomical number, when there are women who play 30+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Especially when she went deep in almost all of them. How evil of her. Playing a lot, and being in the top 5, is a great thing, because it almost always means you're winning a lot too.
I love how you both assumed that was my meaning. Kim retired too early and now is attempting a comeback because she burned herself out. A modern plague on women's tennis. Kim, Myskina, Hingis and Dokic led the tour in different years for matches played and tournaments entered and what do they all have in common? Early exits from the game. My greater point,(which you both seemed to miss) was that it took Kim( a player I liked mind you) 22 tournaments to do what it took Serena 12 tournaments to do. And because Kim played such a heavy schedule and had consistent results she was able to challenge for a ranking that under a quality and winning percentage based ranking system she wouldn't have. Quantity doesn't and shouldn't equal quality. You do understand if Justine hadn't reached the semis of the YEC in 2003 that Kim would have ended the season #1? A season were Serena and Justine both won 2 majors, both beat Kim on the biggest stages of the sport and a year Justine won 8 titles. Come on, you can't always justify slamless #1's by saying "Serena doesn't play enough", because sometimes (shocker I know) the person who should be #1 at the time isn't Serena.

Proud Blackjack!
Quote:
Originally Posted by meyerpl View Post
Isn't Mary Carillo a dried up, bitter, menopausal, frustrated harpy.....?
Slammer7 is offline  
post #15 of 66 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2009, 04:20 AM
Senior Member
 
AcesHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 10,201
                     
Re: Holding 3 Slams but not #1

Blah blah blah. Serena would then be holding 3 titles. If she had top 5 results outside slams this wouldn't be an issue. Serena's chances at #1 are in her hands.

I always wanted to be somebody. If I made it, it's half because I was game enough to take a lot of punishment along the way and half because there were a lot of people who cared enough to help me.
-Althea Gibson


Quote:
Originally Posted by darrinbaker00 View Post
When will you learn that "pushers" never make it past the club level, let alone #1 on the WTA computer? Will it be too late?
AcesHigh is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome