FURY! - "Wimbledon girls are 'just there to sell sex', says BBC pundit Michael Stich" - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 125 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2009, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
The Comeback Begins - January 2010.
 
ZeroSOFInfinity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 8,481
                     
Red face FURY! - "Wimbledon girls are 'just there to sell sex', says BBC pundit Michael Stich"


Michael Stich claims Wimbledon ladies are 'just there to sell sex'

As a former Wimbledon champion, Michael Stich might be expected to have an expert appreciation for the skill and dedication required to play tennis at its highest level.

But on the eve of this year’s tournament, the BBC Radio 5 Live commentator has caused outrage among the sport’s female stars by claiming their role is as much about ‘selling sex’ on court as it is about their sporting prowess.

Stich, the 1991 men’s singles champion, made his politically incorrect comments last night as he waded into the argument over the loud grunting of many of the game’s top women.

The 40-year-old German said the noise detracted from the players’ ‘sex appeal’. He said: ‘Just play it back to the women. It sounds disgusting, ugly, unsexy!’

When challenged that it was the women’s role to play the best tennis they could, rather than look sexy, Stich stuck to his guns. ‘That’s what they sell,’ he told The Mail on Sunday.

‘They want to look good, they pay attention to their looks and everything.’

Last night Harriet Foxwell, of the Women’s Sport and Fitness Foundation, blasted Stich’s remarks. ‘Unfortunately, commentary about female tennis players isn’t always about their skill on court,’ she said.

‘Our wish is that rather than talking about what they are wearing or the noises they make, they are judged on their professional performance.’

However, not everyone took offence. Two-time Wimbledon singles winner Serena Williams admitted: ‘Sex sells! It’s great for Angelina Jolie and it’s true across the board.’


Russian tennis star and swimwear model Maria Kirilenko takes part in her sixth Wimbledon this week


She added: ‘I’ve never been one of the loudest grunters. I just play my game and sometimes I grunt and sometimes I don’t. I’m not conscious when I’m doing it. I’m just zoned out. It doesn’t really affect me if my opponent is [grunting].’

Stich, who beat Boris Becker to the 1991 title, also joked that the only way of stopping the grunting from women players such as Portuguese teenager Michelle Larcher De Brito was to ‘shoot them’.

He added: ‘How are you going to prevent it? How are you going to measure it?’

Former Wimbledon referee Alan Mills added that there was ‘nothing in the rules’ to stop players grunting.

Urgh! This guy needs fired from BBC for this!

Your sig picture exceeds the 200 pixel height limit.

Australian Open 2010 Final Result:-
Lost to Serena Williams 4-6, 6-3, 2-6 (Great job, girl! Now prepare for FO!)
ZeroSOFInfinity is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 125 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2009, 01:00 AM
attack plz
 
:inlove:'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: S.W.19
Posts: 14,052
                     
Re: FURY! - "Wimbledon girls are 'just there to sell sex', says BBC pundit Michael St

FURY!

Oh Serena.
Stich
:inlove: is offline  
post #3 of 125 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2009, 01:07 AM
Senior Member
 
~Cherry*Blossom~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 26,207
                     
Re: FURY! - "Wimbledon girls are 'just there to sell sex', says BBC pundit Michael St

Serena

Stich is an idiot! Always has been. I remember when Stich said something about Serena one year at Wimbledon and she just dismissed him like he was nothing. He felt pretty humiliated on the Today at Wimbledon show.

Serena
Venus Venus
Serena

THE ROYAL SAINT - OFFICIAL MEMBER OF THE ROYAL COURT
USO99 FO02 W02 USO02 AO03 W03 AO05 AO07 USO08 AO09 W09 AO10 W10 W12 USO12 FO13 USO13 USO14 AO15 FO15 W15
W00 USO00 W01 USO01 W05 W07 W08
•How could you love summer before winter nights? I'll be by your side•
~Cherry*Blossom~ is offline  
post #4 of 125 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2009, 01:08 AM
Winner
 
Dave.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 15,012
                     
Re: FURY! - "Wimbledon girls are 'just there to sell sex', says BBC pundit Michael St

What a bloody fool!

Why can't people like Stich just focus on the men's event? They're never going to look at the women's event as equal to the men's so just stay the fuck away. It seems someone just wanted to get their name in the press before Wimbledon and this was the only way to do it.

and while we're on the subject of looks, he looks horrid.
Dave. is offline  
post #5 of 125 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2009, 01:12 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 16,012
                     
Re: FURY! - "Wimbledon girls are 'just there to sell sex', says BBC pundit Michael St

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroSOFInfinity View Post

Michael Stich claims Wimbledon ladies are 'just there to sell sex'

As a former Wimbledon champion, Michael Stich might be expected to have an expert appreciation for the skill and dedication required to play tennis at its highest level.

But on the eve of this year’s tournament, the BBC Radio 5 Live commentator has caused outrage among the sport’s female stars by claiming their role is as much about ‘selling sex’ on court as it is about their sporting prowess.

Stich, the 1991 men’s singles champion, made his politically incorrect comments last night as he waded into the argument over the loud grunting of many of the game’s top women.

The 40-year-old German said the noise detracted from the players’ ‘sex appeal’. He said:‘Just play it back to the women. It sounds disgusting, ugly, unsexy!’

When challenged that it was the women’s role to play the best tennis they could, rather than look sexy, Stich stuck to his guns. ‘That’s what they sell,’ he told The Mail on Sunday.

‘They want to look good, they pay attention to their looks and everything.’

Last night Harriet Foxwell, of the Women’s Sport and Fitness Foundation, blasted Stich’s remarks. ‘Unfortunately, commentary about female tennis players isn’t always about their skill on court,’ she said.

‘Our wish is that rather than talking about what they are wearing or the noises they make, they are judged on their professional performance.’

However, not everyone took offence. Two-time Wimbledon singles winner Serena Williams admitted: ‘Sex sells! It’s great for Angelina Jolie and it’s true across the board.’


Russian tennis star and swimwear model Maria Kirilenko takes part in her sixth Wimbledon this week
She added: ‘I’ve never been one of the loudest grunters. I just play my game and sometimes I grunt and sometimes I don’t. I’m not conscious when I’m doing it. I’m just zoned out. It doesn’t really affect me if my opponent is [grunting].’

Stich, who beat Boris Becker to the 1991 title, also joked that the only way of stopping the grunting from women players such as Portuguese teenager Michelle Larcher De Brito was to ‘shoot them’.

He added: ‘How are you going to prevent it? How are you going to measure it?’

Former Wimbledon referee Alan Mills added that there was ‘nothing in the rules’ to stop players grunting.

Urgh! This guy needs fired from BBC for this!
Slutrena knows her stuff



homogenius is offline  
post #6 of 125 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2009, 01:15 AM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 3,918
                     
Re: FURY! - "Wimbledon girls are 'just there to sell sex', says BBC pundit Michael St

Federer doesn't care how he looks on court and the girls should follow suit...

I can just imagine this guy jumping on court and emptying a colt 45 into MLB; one final haunting shriek and nothing left but shrill echoes and a crimson mist floating on the wind!

This is a real stitch!!!
perseus2006 is offline  
post #7 of 125 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2009, 01:16 AM
attack plz
 
:inlove:'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: S.W.19
Posts: 14,052
                     
Re: FURY! - "Wimbledon girls are 'just there to sell sex', says BBC pundit Michael St

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubberduckzilla View Post
Serena

Stich is an idiot! Always has been. I remember when Stich said something about Serena one year at Wimbledon and she just dismissed him like he was nothing. He felt pretty humiliated on the Today at Wimbledon show.
"My career is actually more stellar than Stich's, so he can say whatever he pleases. I've never been over-dramatic in my whole career"

:inlove: is offline  
post #8 of 125 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2009, 01:20 AM
Praise thy name.
 
young_gunner913's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: California
Posts: 53,587
                     
Re: FURY! - "Wimbledon girls are 'just there to sell sex', says BBC pundit Michael St

Quote:
Originally Posted by perseus2006 View Post
Federer doesn't care how he looks on court and the girls should follow suit...
I can just imagine this guy jumping on court and emptying a colt 45 into MLB; one final haunting shriek and nothing left but shrill echoes and a crimson mist floating on the wind!

This is a real stitch!!!
are you kidding? federer is more of a diva with his appearence then 75% of the WTA tour.

And here you are, a black unicorn.
Mythical and mystical since the day that you were born.
young_gunner913 is offline  
post #9 of 125 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2009, 01:21 AM
Senior Member
 
Joana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Yugoslavia
Posts: 10,990
                     
Re: FURY! - "Wimbledon girls are 'just there to sell sex', says BBC pundit Michael St

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroSOFInfinity View Post

When challenged that it was the women’s role to play the best tennis they could, rather than look sexy, Stich stuck to his guns. ‘That’s what they sell,’ he told The Mail on Sunday.
That sure is what the WTA seem to think. What they don't understand is that Maria Sharapova's (for example) photo shoots don't promote women's tennis, they promote Maria Sharapova.
Joana is offline  
post #10 of 125 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2009, 01:23 AM
Hoping for less D'oh and more woohoo!
 
Slammer7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: L♥ving an Angel
Posts: 14,666
                     
Re: FURY! - "Wimbledon girls are 'just there to sell sex', says BBC pundit Michael St

This guy is an idiot! He was an idiot 2 years ago when he questioned Serena's injury and he is an idiot now. He can get away with this SHIT in the U.K, but he wouldn't have a job if he said this crap in many other countries. McEnroe said stuff much less offensive than this and he almost got fired, and he is waaaaay more popular and better at his job than Stich. It is a shame to think this man can call himself a professional. So I guess Navratilova was selling sex? and so was Henin? And OMG!!! Safina is too. Oh God I think I just went blind. (*^*&)&)^*(&^%&()))()%^#$%$

Proud Blackjack!
Quote:
Originally Posted by meyerpl View Post
Isn't Mary Carillo a dried up, bitter, menopausal, frustrated harpy.....?
Slammer7 is offline  
post #11 of 125 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2009, 01:25 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,052
                     
Re: FURY! - "Wimbledon girls are 'just there to sell sex', says BBC pundit Michael St

haha, it wouldnt be Stich unless he said something dramatic to open the tournament

he's just getting ppl talking, thats all
Nico_E is offline  
post #12 of 125 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2009, 01:28 AM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 3,918
                     
Re: FURY! - "Wimbledon girls are 'just there to sell sex', says BBC pundit Michael St

Quote:
Originally Posted by young_gunner913 View Post
are you kidding? federer is more of a diva with his appearence then 75% of the WTA tour.
Exactly! You got it on your first attempt!!!
perseus2006 is offline  
post #13 of 125 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2009, 01:31 AM
Senior Member
 
Pheobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,869
                     
Re: FURY! - "Wimbledon girls are 'just there to sell sex', says BBC pundit Michael St

Cut him some slack. I mean, if he wasn't making flagrant attempts to keep his name in the media most tennis fans would probably completely forget he ever existed.
Pheobo is offline  
post #14 of 125 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2009, 01:32 AM
Hoping for less D'oh and more woohoo!
 
Slammer7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: L♥ving an Angel
Posts: 14,666
                     
Re: FURY! - "Wimbledon girls are 'just there to sell sex', says BBC pundit Michael St

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheobo View Post
Cut him some slack. I mean, if he wasn't making flagrant attempts to keep his name in the media most tennis fans would probably completely forget he ever existed.
Oh if he would only give us the opportunity.

Proud Blackjack!
Quote:
Originally Posted by meyerpl View Post
Isn't Mary Carillo a dried up, bitter, menopausal, frustrated harpy.....?
Slammer7 is offline  
post #15 of 125 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2009, 01:33 AM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 3,918
                     
Re: FURY! - "Wimbledon girls are 'just there to sell sex', says BBC pundit Michael St

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slammer7 View Post
This guy is an idiot! He was an idiot 2 years ago when he questioned Serena's injury and he is an idiot now. He can get away with this SHIT in the U.K, but he wouldn't have a job if he said this crap in many other countries. McEnroe said stuff much less offensive than this and he almost got fired, and he is waaaaay more popular and better at his job than Stich. It is a shame to think this man can call himself a professional. So I guess Navratilova was selling sex? and so was Henin? And OMG!!! Safina is too. Oh God I think I just went blind. (*^*&)&)^*(&^%&()))()%^#$%$
I can't agree with this part. McEnroe is just as misogynistic as Stich and never lets an opportunity go by to disparage the WTA, its players and the game they play. McEnroe and hsi sidekick Carillo are the worst commentators in all of sports.
perseus2006 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome