grunting whatever - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2009, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 4,112
                     
grunting whatever

no one complains about the men.
believe some of them are louder or as loud as the women.
different pitch however.
I wish everyone would just shut up about grunting.
oh and by the way not being able to hear the ball of strings is bullshit. You dont hear it anyways.
i guess the only valid complaint is if someone screems 3 sec after they hit the ball.

Zauber is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2009, 12:50 AM
Senior Member
 
The Witch-king's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Nairobi
Posts: 13,309
                     
Re: grunting whatever

I agree with you about the men and pitch. Nadal will grunt LOUDLY from the first point.

Is there any creature on earth as unfortunate as an ugly woman?
The Witch-king is offline  
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2009, 12:58 AM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Andy.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Bondi, Sydney
Posts: 25,288
                     
Re: grunting whatever

Exactly no one ever complains about Nadal. In the past Kuerten was also very loud but there were never any complaints.
Andy. is offline  
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2009, 01:00 AM
Senior Member
 
The Witch-king's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Nairobi
Posts: 13,309
                     
Re: grunting whatever

Oh god Ferrer! And Gonzalez the cheat.

Is there any creature on earth as unfortunate as an ugly woman?
The Witch-king is offline  
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2009, 01:06 AM
Senior Member
 
~{X}~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: In The N.Y.C.
Posts: 21,240
                     
Re: grunting whatever

Nadal sounds like a pig getting gutted.

SERENA 21 GRAND SLAMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOZNIACKI BOUCHARD VENUS
~{X}~ is offline  
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2009, 01:12 AM
Senior Member
 
AndreConrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Close to US Open :)
Posts: 4,653
                     
Re: grunting whatever

It is fun to make fun of grunting players at times, however hating them for it is something I don't understand. Their focus is to win the match and I don't really care if their grunt is involuntary or learned behavior because they believ e it helps them play better

The best of luck to all tennis players; The game is on!
-Andre
P.S.Well,... special luck to Agnieszka Radwanska, Marta Domachowska, Daniela Hantuchova, Urszula Radwanska
Bally, Rest In Peace!
AndreConrad is offline  
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2009, 01:59 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 12,924
                     
Re: grunting whatever

I wish everyone would shut up about it too, if a player is focused on playing, they shouldnt even notice it. The only one that should really be shut up is Larcher De Brito, she is really going to far, it shouldnt be tolerated.
Dominic is offline  
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2009, 02:00 AM
Senior Member
 
brayster87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Davenport's secret lair
Posts: 1,170
                     
Re: grunting whatever

whatever happened to the days when you saw two players play tennis. I hate the fact that these young girls want to scream because they believe that it makes them hit harder. Sharapova is setting a bad example for young people who think it's alright to scream when they hit the ball!

For instance, I miss a great tennis match between Davenport and Clijsters. Here is evidence that you can still hit the ball hard WITHOUT screaming.

I just love hearing the ball go back and forth with no noise coming from the players.

Sadly, I don't think we'll see the likes of Davenport or Clijsters in future tennis....

This is a clip of Sharapova's grunt versus De Brito, this should not be allowed and it is ridiculous
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVfCcBzMeA0

LINDSAY DAVENPORT
Forever No.1


KIM CLIJSTERS
The Belgian is back with vengeance
- + - + - + - + - + - + - + - +
2005 & 2009 US OPEN CHAMPION

Last edited by brayster87; May 30th, 2009 at 02:14 AM.
brayster87 is offline  
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2009, 02:01 AM
bans for poster insolence
 
duhcity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 9,868
                     
Re: grunting whatever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zauber View Post
no one complains about the men.
believe some of them are louder or as loud as the women.
different pitch however.
I wish everyone would just shut up about grunting.
oh and by the way not being able to hear the ball of strings is bullshit. You dont hear it anyways.
i guess the only valid complaint is if someone screems 3 sec after they hit the ball.
The point is that the pitch is annoying.
Soccer matches (In Europe I assume), and Basketball here in the states are loud, but the players arent fazed.
But if the crowd shrieked in a high pitched voice, with a weird wheezy blowing after, it would definitely disturb the players

duhcity is offline  
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2009, 03:25 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,064
                     
Re: grunting whatever

There's always a gray area in this argument. I don't mind grunting and it can help players put power into their shots but some grunts seem extremely fabricated. Not going to mention any names it should be obvious and some of them are just over the top. And yeah the high pitch of the women's grunts can be really annoying and uncomfortable to listen to so it's more of an issue.
Orbis is offline  
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2009, 05:56 AM
Senior Member
 
Szczecin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,416
                     
Re: grunting whatever

Tipsarevic !?

NO ONE BUT DEMENTIEVA
Olympic Gold for the Golden Goddess
Paris, Sydney, Toronto, Sydney, Auckland, Luxembourg, Olympics, Dubai, Moscow, Istanbul, Los Angeles, Tokyo, Hasselt, Shanghai, Bali, Amelia Is.
Grand Slam Glory for the Glorious Goddess
Come on Lena, it's yours!
Miss Resilient - Elena Dementieva AFR - I've Found My Hero !
Szczecin is offline  
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2009, 06:48 AM
Ready to slay in 2016!
 
Sexysova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Prague
Posts: 62,892
                     
Re: grunting whatever

men don't complain because they're more fair to each other IMO..
Sexysova is offline  
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2009, 06:50 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 5,222
                     
Re: grunting whatever

Quote:
Originally Posted by brayster87 View Post
whatever happened to the days when you saw two players play tennis. I hate the fact that these young girls want to scream because they believe that it makes them hit harder. Sharapova is setting a bad example for young people who think it's alright to scream when they hit the ball!

For instance, I miss a great tennis match between Davenport and Clijsters. Here is evidence that you can still hit the ball hard WITHOUT screaming.

I just love hearing the ball go back and forth with no noise coming from the players.

Sadly, I don't think we'll see the likes of Davenport or Clijsters in future tennis....

This is a clip of Sharapova's grunt versus De Brito, this should not be allowed and it is ridiculous
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVfCcBzMeA0
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zauber View Post
no one complains about the men.
believe some of them are louder or as loud as the women.
That's not true - some of the men are indeed (almost) as annoying as Pova, Serena and MLDB.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zauber View Post
I wish everyone would just shut up about grunting.
This sentence (referring to the players in question) is two words too long.
Archer16 is offline  
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2009, 10:34 AM
Senior Member
 
terjw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,372
                     
Re: grunting whatever

Quote:
Originally Posted by brayster87 View Post
whatever happened to the days when you saw two players play tennis. I hate the fact that these young girls want to scream because they believe that it makes them hit harder. Sharapova is setting a bad example for young people who think it's alright to scream when they hit the ball!

For instance, I miss a great tennis match between Davenport and Clijsters. Here is evidence that you can still hit the ball hard WITHOUT screaming.

I just love hearing the ball go back and forth with no noise coming from the players.

Sadly, I don't think we'll see the likes of Davenport or Clijsters in future tennis....

This is a clip of Sharapova's grunt versus De Brito, this should not be allowed and it is ridiculous
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVfCcBzMeA0
Exactly

It is clearly not necessary when great players have played great without resorting to this din. the WTA are to blame for not nipping this in the bud when Seles started it all and when Sharapova took it to a new level. And now we have deBrito. Every new generation it will just get worse because the WTA have done nothing about it and refused to admit it is a problem.

As for the men grunting - yes the standard of what should be allowed should be applied fairly to all players. But I don't think any of the men have been clocked at anywhere near 101.2 decibels that Sharapova was.
http://english.pravda.ru/main/18/90/...povasemif.html

Caroline Wozniacki

Chris Evert, Steffi Graf, Kim Clijsters
terjw is offline  
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2009, 11:11 AM
country flag LCS
Senior Member
 
LCS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 7,671
                     
Re: grunting whatever

TO

Tennis Tipping
Singles
W: (12) Australian Open (11) 50K Monzon, Toronto F: (12) Montreal (09) 25K Redding, Bali YEC (08) Memphis, Stanford, 100K Krakow SF: (13) Toronto (12) Estoril Open (09) Roland Garros, Stanford (08) Auckland, Rome, Eastbourne, New Haven
Doubles W: (11) Hobart (09) 25K Redding (08) Doha, Istanbul (07) Estoril Open F: (12) Pattaya, Roland Garros, Stanford (11) Guangzhou(08) Memphis, Wimbledon, New Haven (07) Bali SF: (11) Trnava (10) Stuttgart (08) Budapest (07)Birmingham, US Open QF: (12) Australian Open (11) Roland Garros
LCS is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome