..or should we just wait it out and hope for happy days?
Rankings that don't truly reflect the tour
The players don't ooze the same appeal that a Kournikova/Hingis/Williams/Seles etc. ever did. Except for Serena, Venus, and Sharapova.
Are there any? Personally, I think that;
(1) There should be NO mandatory events, they just cause trouble and it's not really necessary. I mean, which players are going to bypass a slam or Miami/IW in the first place? Except for outstanding circumstances. Abandon that woeful TOP 10 rule, while they're at it.
(2) The whole season should be shortened by atleast 2 weeks, preferably 4. Longer offseason, preparation for a big year, and more likely to want to play more when the tour starts again. I don't know where the 4 weeks should come from, but two weeks could come directly from the scrapping of IW. There is already a 2-weeker in the US, we don't need 2 back to back, do we?
(3) Longer grass season, shorter clay season OR American hardcourt season.
(3) Less tournaments all up. Less places to play, more likely that top players with meet more in one event.
(4) A change in the ranking system, a dramatic change. One that preferably puts Serena at #1, Venus in the TOP 5, and Elena at some stage in the TOP 3. LOL.
These are just rough, off the top of my head. As I hear more opinions I'll probably alter it a bit.