Maybe some top players tanked, as silent protest to "mandatory" Indian Wells? - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 2009, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,540
                     
Maybe some top players tanked, as silent protest to "mandatory" Indian Wells?

All of this upsets made me start wondering. If you look over the last 6,7 years, Indian Wells has never had good fields comparing to Miami (this was true even before Miami became "mandatory"). So maybe this shows that Larry Scott & Co. can force the top players to show up in IW, but they cant force them to pass the second round...
chuvack is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 12
                     
Re: Maybe some top players tanked, as silent protest to "mandatory" Indian Wells?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuvack View Post
All of this upsets made me start wondering. If you look over the last 6,7 years, Indian Wells has never had good fields comparing to Miami (this was true even before Miami became "mandatory"). So maybe this shows that Larry Scott & Co. can force the top players to show up in IW, but they cant force them to pass the second round...
GOOD SUGGESTION! Perfect conclusion!
ellyhuang is offline  
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Senior Member
 
ElusiveChanteuse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 83,463
                     
Re: Maybe some top players tanked, as silent protest to "mandatory" Indian Wells?

Why not all seeded players just lose the second round? There's no point for some players do this while others don't care about that. Larry Scott won't give a damn about it as long as there's still some top players around in the event.
ElusiveChanteuse is offline  
 
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Senior Member
 
Cp6uja's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 13,567
                     
Re: Maybe some top players tanked, as silent protest to "mandatory" Indian Wells?

Yeah... Sure... I agree...

Their message to Larry Scott was:

WE DON'T NEED EASY MONEY, ESPECIALLY DURING GLOBAL ECONOMIC CRISIS
WE DON'T NEED BIG TITLE IF WILLIAMS SISTERS NOT COMPETE
IT'S UNFAIR THAT IW/09 MONEY PRIZE FOR WTA EVENT IS LARGER THAN ATP
FACILITIES HERE IS ALMOST PERFECT AND WE DON'T LIKE THAT
...ETC...


I guess explanation for all this statements is that boycott girls Sharapova, Dementieva, Jankovic, Kuznetsova, Petrova, Cibulkova, Zheng, Chakvetadze, Vaidisova, Kleybanova, Kanepi... coming from ex-communist countries

List of previous Indian Wells Winners tells us that TOP players actually never like to make good results there:

1989 Manuela Maleeva
1990 Martina Navratilova
1991 Martina Navratilova
1992 Monica Seles
1993 Mary Joe Fernandez
1994 Steffi Graf
1995 Mary Joe Fernandez
1996 Steffi Graf
1997 Lindsay Davenport
1998 Martina Hingis
1999 Serena Williams
2000 Lindsay Davenport
2001 Serena Williams
2002 Daniela Hantuchova
2003 Kim Clijsters
2004 Justine Henin
2005 Kim Clijsters
2006 Maria Sharapova
2007 Daniela Hantuchova
2008 Ana Ivanovic



and I'm not even fan of Ana Ivanovic... just an objective observer who realize how perfect she is

AMAZING BELGRADE MIRACLE: In just three years (2008-2011) 5 different players born in same city reach world #1 in rankings and several GS titles and finals (WTA singles: Ana Ivanovic and Jelena Jankovic, ATP singles: Novak Djokovic, ATP doubles: Nenad Zimonjic and Daniel Nestor... with notable performances of Bojana Jovanovski, Janko Tipsarevic and Viktor Troicki which is also all three born in Belgrade)
Cp6uja is offline  
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,790
                     
Re: Maybe some top players tanked, as silent protest to "mandatory" Indian Wells?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cp6uja View Post
Yeah... Sure... I agree...

Their message to Larry Scott was:

WE DON'T NEED EASY MONEY, ESPECIALLY DURING GLOBAL ECONOMIC CRISIS
WE DON'T NEED BIG TITLE IF WILLIAMS SISTERS NOT COMPETE
IT'S UNFAIR THAT IW/09 MONEY PRIZE FOR WTA EVENT IS LARGER THAN ATP
FACILITIES HERE IS ALMOST PERFECT AND WE DON'T LIKE THAT
...ETC...

I guess explanation for all this statements is that boycott girls Sharapova, Dementieva, Jankovic, Kuznetsova, Petrova, Cibulkova, Zheng, Chakvetadze, Vaidisova, Kleybanova, Kanepi... coming from ex-communist countries

List of previous Indian Wells Winners tells us that TOP players actually never like to make good results there:

1989 Manuela Maleeva
1990 Martina Navratilova
1991 Martina Navratilova
1992 Monica Seles
1993 Mary Joe Fernandez
1994 Steffi Graf
1995 Mary Joe Fernandez
1996 Steffi Graf
1997 Lindsay Davenport
1998 Martina Hingis
1999 Serena Williams
2000 Lindsay Davenport
2001 Serena Williams
2002 Daniela Hantuchova
2003 Kim Clijsters
2004 Justine Henin
2005 Kim Clijsters
2006 Maria Sharapova
2007 Daniela Hantuchova
2008 Ana Ivanovic


I can't believe that Steffi Graf only won IW twice, but won Miami like 6 times or something. What does that say about the desert?

Never chase love, affection or attention. If it isn't given to you freely by another person, then it isn't worth having.
spartanfan is offline  
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 28,970
                     
Re: Maybe some top players tanked, as silent protest to "mandatory" Indian Wells?

Yeah, this tournaments offers a lot of points and money.

And we all know how much Jankovic and Kuznetsova needs to win some matches this year. They wouldn't tank a tournament that gives 1000 points to the winner.
Wiggly is offline  
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 9,804
                     
Re: Maybe some top players tanked, as silent protest to "mandatory" Indian Wells?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuvack View Post
All of this upsets made me start wondering. If you look over the last 6,7 years, Indian Wells has never had good fields comparing to Miami
In 2004 none of top-5 played Miami whereas #1, #4 and #5 were featured in IW semifinals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartanfan View Post
I can't believe that Steffi Graf only won IW twice, but won Miami 5 times or something. What does that say about the desert?
It does say that IW was not held in 1987 and 1988 when Graf won Miami. It also says IW was not a Tier I event before 1997.
AnnaK_4ever is offline  
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 2009, 03:23 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Lunaris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bojov <---> Prague
Posts: 7,253
                     
Re: Maybe some top players tanked, as silent protest to "mandatory" Indian Wells?

Pointless thread, maybe they tanked and maybe not. End

Suicide Tennis: Amelia Island 2008
Lunaris is offline  
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 2009, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,540
                     
Re: Maybe some top players tanked, as silent protest to "mandatory" Indian Wells?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaK_4ever View Post
In 2004 none of top-5 played Miami whereas #1, #4 and #5 were featured in IW semifinals.


.

Show me any other year since 2001 when IW had anything close to the field of Miami.
chuvack is offline  
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 9,804
                     
Re: Maybe some top players tanked, as silent protest to "mandatory" Indian Wells?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuvack View Post
Show me any other year since 2001 when IW had anything close to the field of Miami.
Why should I? It was you who claimed IW has NEVER had better field than Miami
AnnaK_4ever is offline  
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,242
                     
Re: Maybe some top players tanked, as silent protest to "mandatory" Indian Wells?

I think the 4th mandatory event should be Cincinatti or Rogers Cup instead of Indian Wells. They should have known better to make IW mandatory.

Serena # 1
tae04 is offline  
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Hoping for less D'oh and more woohoo!
 
Slammer7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: L♥ving an Angel
Posts: 14,466
                     
Re: Maybe some top players tanked, as silent protest to "mandatory" Indian Wells?

Wasn't 2004 the year they had that bacterial infection going around IW and a lot of players got sick and couldn't play Miami? I'm asking because I am not sure but I do remember they had to get professional cleaners to sanitize the locker rooms.

Proud Blackjack!
Quote:
Originally Posted by meyerpl View Post
Isn't Mary Carillo a dried up, bitter, menopausal, frustrated harpy.....?
Slammer7 is offline  
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 2009, 05:17 PM
Senior Member
 
Larrybidd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,017
                     
Re: Maybe some top players tanked, as silent protest to "mandatory" Indian Wells?

Nobody is tanking these matches. There is way too much money at stake. Where's the logic here?
Larrybidd is offline  
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 36,103
                     
Re: Maybe some top players tanked, as silent protest to "mandatory" Indian Wells?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuvack View Post
All of this upsets made me start wondering. If you look over the last 6,7 years, Indian Wells has never had good fields comparing to Miami (this was true even before Miami became "mandatory"). So maybe this shows that Larry Scott & Co. can force the top players to show up in IW, but they cant force them to pass the second round...
Would that were true!!!

There's got to be one good match during this tournament.
edificio is offline  
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Senior Member
 
Svetlana.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 5,047
                     
Re: Maybe some top players tanked, as silent protest to "mandatory" Indian Wells?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrybidd View Post
Nobody is tanking these matches. There is way too much money at stake. Where's the logic here?
basically...
Svetlana. is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome