Ana Ivanovic - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2008, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
joćo.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 20,857
                     
Ana Ivanovic

What's wrong with her? I haven't been following tennis a lot lately and she keeps losing in early rounds everytime I check the results. It's not my intention to create a hater thread or something, I'm just curious what's wrong atm. Is it still the injury in her finger or something?
joćo. is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: sydney
Posts: 6,145
                     
Re: Ana Ivanovic

Its all mental with her now. She reached number 1 too soon. Her mind couldnt handle the pressure. Now players come out against her and know she is 'playing with fear' i.e instead of playing to win the match, she is playing not to lose it and at this level, that slight shift in mentality makes all the difference..

I see her tumbling down the ranking for some time to come.. At least until she has fallen so far that she starts to come back out on court again NOT expected to win.. Then she can start to rediscover the game that got her to where she was... the top of the game..
Philbo is offline  
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2008, 12:00 PM
Senior Member
 
gaviotabr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 26,607
                     
Re: Ana Ivanovic

Well.. you can expect to have a lot of answers from Ana haters, since this forum is filled with Ana haters anyway.

Ana's problem right now is total lack of confidence, total lack of belief. She can play really well one moment and terrible the very next, since her whole game is based on confidence, it's a very low percentage type of tennis. When she isn't confident about her shots, she misses more than hit winners. That has led her to be very unsure of herself, especially in crucial points. She had her fair share of chances to beat Zheng today, serving for the first set twice, but couldn't.

It's all partially conected with a bad thumb injury she had, that prevented her from holding a racquet for a month. But I think that it messed with her head more than anything else.
gaviotabr is offline  
 
post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2008, 12:05 PM
I felt suddenly quite wildly happy.
 
^bibi^'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: At the movies
Posts: 43,265
                     
Re: Ana Ivanovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaviotabr View Post
Well.. you can expect to have a lot of answers from Ana haters, since this forum is filled with Ana haters anyway.
I quite agree with that Nonetheless, it's indeed an interesting topic.

So, I'll start this thread by reminding everybody that player bashing, whoever they are, won't be tolerated

This can't last. This misery can't last. I must remember that and try to control myself. Nothing lasts really. Neither happiness nor despair. Not even life lasts very long. There'll come a time in the future when I shan't mind about this anymore, when I can look back and say quite peacefully and cheerfully how silly I was. No, no, I don't want that time to come ever. I want to remember every minute, always, always to the end of my days.
^bibi^ is offline  
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2008, 12:06 PM
Senior Member
 
gaviotabr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 26,607
                     
Re: Ana Ivanovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czechfan View Post
Its all mental with her now. She reached number 1 too soon. Her mind couldnt handle the pressure. Now players come out against her and know she is 'playing with fear' i.e instead of playing to win the match, she is playing not to lose it and at this level, that slight shift in mentality makes all the difference..

I see her tumbling down the ranking for some time to come.. At least until she has fallen so far that she starts to come back out on court again NOT expected to win.. Then she can start to rediscover the game that got her to where she was... the top of the game..
I hope the last part of your post does not come true, but it is an interesting analisys. I also think it's mental, and it actually worries me that all she says is that it's a matter of lack of match play. Ana used to be great when serving for a set or a match, now she just falters in those situations. Her break point conversion has been terrible in her losses... her last 4 were matches that she lost the first set, won the second, had chances in the third but eventually couldn't take them. Those are moments of pressure she doesn't seem to be coping well with right now. I do think the injury played a part in it, as she clearly couldn't hit a proper forehand. She shouldn't have played through it, it messed up with her head more than anything.
gaviotabr is offline  
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Senior Member
 
Sharapowerr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 2,407
                     
Re: Ana Ivanovic

The confidence is gone..
Sharapowerr is offline  
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2008, 01:07 PM
Senior Member
 
Malva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,355
                     
Re: Ana Ivanovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^bibi^ View Post
So, I'll start this thread by reminding everybody that player bashing, whoever they are, won't be tolerated
That would be so refreshing! If the moderators were taking their responsibilities more seriously, i.e., if they were doing what they are supposed to do, this forum would have a much saner atmosphere, and people would be meeting here united by their enjoyment of tennis rather than petty hatred towards the players, or each other.
Malva is offline  
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2008, 01:18 PM
I felt suddenly quite wildly happy.
 
^bibi^'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: At the movies
Posts: 43,265
                     
Re: Ana Ivanovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malva View Post
That would be so refreshing! If the moderators were taking their responsibilities more seriously, i.e., if they were doing what they are supposed to do, this forum would have a much saner atmosphere, and people would be meeting here united by their enjoyment of tennis rather than petty hatred towards the players, or each other.
That's what we're trying to do and why there were additional ods hired a few weeks ago.. Now we're mods, not magicians

This can't last. This misery can't last. I must remember that and try to control myself. Nothing lasts really. Neither happiness nor despair. Not even life lasts very long. There'll come a time in the future when I shan't mind about this anymore, when I can look back and say quite peacefully and cheerfully how silly I was. No, no, I don't want that time to come ever. I want to remember every minute, always, always to the end of my days.
^bibi^ is offline  
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Senior Member
 
Malva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,355
                     
Re: Ana Ivanovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^bibi^ View Post
That's what we're trying to do and why there were additional ods hired a few weeks ago.. Now we're mods, not magicians
Thank you for responding, ^bibi^! I was very glad to see that finally, at least one moderator raised this important issue, and I wanted to tell you how much I would appreciate if the moderators do more in the future to show that bashing the players and hatred will not be tolerated in the forum.
Malva is offline  
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Most Loved Member
 
Kworb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 11,179
                     
Re: Ana Ivanovic

Her problem is that she lacks the technical foundation to still play decently even in tougher times. She either plays well or she plays like crap; there's no "just getting by" when you play like she does. Something needs to click and then she'll play like a top 10 player again. When/if that will happen remains to be seen.

2016 saviors of the WTA

ANGELIQUE KERBER 63 75 DOMINIKA CIBULKOVA 60 60
LOUISA CHIRICO 60 60 IRINA-CAMELIA BEGU 63 62 KARIN KNAPP 63 67 60
Kworb is offline  
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Senior Member
 
Adal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 21,986
                     
Re: Ana Ivanovic

I think it all started with an injury. Then she made some wrong decisions like entering the tournaments when she wasn't ready, which resulted in a few bad losses. Less confidence, more pressure.

Maria Sharapova
wim 04 / uso 06 / ao 08 / rg 12 / rg 14
Adal is offline  
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 10,682
                     
Re: Ana Ivanovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malva View Post
Thank you for responding, ^bibi^! I was very glad to see that finally, at least one moderator raised this important issue, and I wanted to tell you how much I would appreciate if the moderators do more in the future to show that bashing the players and hatred will not be tolerated in the forum.
But hate makes the world go round.

I'd say it's two things.

1.) Losing to Dementieva twice this year LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!
2.) Thumb injury screwed up her mojo after RG, now she's struggling to find her form. It could be mental I suppose, I just think the thumb happened at the worst possible time.
LudwigDvorak is offline  
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 48,055
                     
Re: Ana Ivanovic

We got a thread already
Noctis is offline  
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Senior Member
 
kwilliams's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Dublin
Posts: 8,915
                     
Re: Ana Ivanovic

I'm interested to know if a player has ever gone on such a bad streak directly after winning their first grand slam? I think her post FO 08 win will be a much talked about period of her career in the future...I think.

Venus Williams
Serena Williams




http://flickr.com/photos/keithmaguire/
kwilliams is offline  
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Senior Member
 
wild.river's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5,080
                     
Re: Ana Ivanovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaviotabr View Post
I hope the last part of your post does not come true, but it is an interesting analisys. I also think it's mental, and it actually worries me that all she says is that it's a matter of lack of match play. Ana used to be great when serving for a set or a match, now she just falters in those situations. Her break point conversion has been terrible in her losses... her last 4 were matches that she lost the first set, won the second, had chances in the third but eventually couldn't take them. Those are moments of pressure she doesn't seem to be coping well with right now. I do think the injury played a part in it, as she clearly couldn't hit a proper forehand. She shouldn't have played through it, it messed up with her head more than anything.
i can see it though. she has a shit load of points to defend in the 1st half of the season and virtually nothing in the 2nd half. so if she doesnt come through from jan until june-ish she's gonna tumble until she builds up again from wimbledon.
wild.river is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome