Serbian fans of Ana&Jelena and their political beliefs - TennisForum.com

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 144 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2008, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Fidello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,019
                     
Serbian fans of Ana&Jelena and their political beliefs

For the last month Ana Ivanovic was being accused on one of the most popular Serbian forum (b92) for faking the thumb injury just that she could focus on USO and other payable tournaments. She was seen as non patriotic and greedy whereas Jelena was praised as being a true Serbian warrior (if you need to take a break to vomit, please do). By haters nicknames and their discussions on the part of the forum that is about inner Serbian politics, I made the conclusion that most of the JJ fans are also SRS supporters and most of the Ana fans are DS supporters. To make things more clear to non-serbian/US people: SRS~republicans (only much more extreme) and DS~democrats.

No real discussion needed here, I just find that interesting
Fidello is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 144 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2008, 08:30 PM
Senior Member
 
DOUBLEFIST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: LA
Posts: 10,529
                     
Re: Serbian fans of Ana&Jelena and their political beliefs

GoooooooOOOOO DS!!!

JA ME KA IS THE GOAT!!!
22!!!!The Debate is OVER, Suckas!!
Queen Vee , Keys!, Steffi , Maria,Pre-Carlos Na A-Rad
DOUBLEFIST is offline  
post #3 of 144 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,075
                     
Re: Serbian fans of Ana&Jelena and their political beliefs

"true Serbian warrior"
BTW,Serbia lost every war in the 90's(4 of them)
Costanza is offline  
post #4 of 144 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,149
                     
Re: Serbian fans of Ana&Jelena and their political beliefs

Interesting. I would assume the uber-nationalists would be the ones to get on Ana's case for missing the Olympics.
Apoleb is offline  
post #5 of 144 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 4,556
                     
Re: Serbian fans of Ana&Jelena and their political beliefs

Jelena
Lucemferre is offline  
post #6 of 144 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2008, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Fidello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,019
                     
Re: Serbian fans of Ana&Jelena and their political beliefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoleb View Post
Interesting. I would assume the uber-nationalists would be the ones to get on Ana's case for missing the Olympics.
Didn't I wrote it like that? You assume right
Fidello is offline  
post #7 of 144 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2008, 08:39 PM
*
 
The Daviator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 22,814
                     
Re: Serbian fans of Ana&Jelena and their political beliefs

What a bunch of idiots, when athletes have injuries, they cannot play Why did she go all the way out to Beijing, wave the Serbian flag at the opening ceremony, and stay until the eve of the tournament if she was faking?

You would think a GS champion and #1 in a country that had nothing of the sort before would show a little more appreciation

Ivanovic * Kvitova * Serena
The Daviator is offline  
post #8 of 144 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2008, 08:39 PM
Senior Member
 
saint2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 11,654
                     
Re: Serbian fans of Ana&Jelena and their political beliefs

Quote:
SRS~republicans (only much more extreme) and DS~democrats.
SRS not stand even close to republicans. DS not stand even close to Democrats. Only common is that SRS is pretending that is rightist and DS is pretending that is leftist.

Im not Serbian, but Im intrested in European politics and I know "some things" about it...

I'm alaways right, even when Im wrong...
saint2 is offline  
post #9 of 144 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2008, 08:40 PM
Senior Member
 
Brena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: China
Posts: 15,311
                     
Re: Serbian fans of Ana&Jelena and their political beliefs

I don't think this is the right place for discussing one's political beliefs, but I definitely think that Ana's Serbian fans should just get over it - JJ is selfless, Ana (or her team) is not. Whether it is smart or not is a whole different story, but the fact is JJ will play for Serbia no matter what, because she knows (or at list - thinks, since I know quite a few fans who would disagree ) that she'll bring some joy to people back home. I don't blame Ana for not playing Fed Cup, Olympics etc. because the state never invested anything in her career and she owns nothing to it. However, the same case is with Jelena, Novak and Tipsy and still, they always play for the national team, and one MUST give them credit for that. So, there shouldn't be any Ana-hating from Serbian fans, but there also shouldn't be any belittling of JJ's selflessness like you're trying to do with this silly interpretation of JJ/Ana fans' political profiles.

''I saw JJ in her prime.
Another time, another time.''

By Harold Pinter&Brena

''Man up or go home.''

''Rock on, I'm not talking to you. ''

Last edited by Brena; Sep 13th, 2008 at 08:50 PM.
Brena is offline  
post #10 of 144 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Senior Member
 
cocco80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,144
                     
Re: Serbian fans of Ana&Jelena and their political beliefs

B92 is mainly consisted of supporters of Crvena Zvezda club (Jankovic's club) while Ana trained for the rival club of Partizan.
There's all there's to it IMO.

Quote:
Who is your favourite women's tennis player?

RAFAEL NADAL: Kim Clijsters, Ana Ivanovic and the Spanish players.

Herald Sun 18.1.
cocco80 is offline  
post #11 of 144 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Senior Member
 
Brena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: China
Posts: 15,311
                     
Re: Serbian fans of Ana&Jelena and their political beliefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Daviator View Post
What a bunch of idiots, when athletes have injuries, they cannot play Why did she go all the way out to Beijing, wave the Serbian flag at the opening ceremony, and stay until the eve of the tournament if she was faking?You would think a GS champion and #1 in a country that had nothing of the sort before would show a little more appreciation
Well, she's an attention whore.



''I saw JJ in her prime.
Another time, another time.''

By Harold Pinter&Brena

''Man up or go home.''

''Rock on, I'm not talking to you. ''
Brena is offline  
post #12 of 144 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 4,556
                     
Re: Serbian fans of Ana&Jelena and their political beliefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Daviator View Post
What a bunch of idiots, when athletes have injuries, they cannot play Why did she go all the way out to Beijing, wave the Serbian flag at the opening ceremony, and stay until the eve of the tournament if she was faking?

You would think a GS champion and #1 in a country that had nothing of the sort before would show a little more appreciation
Wow when you say it like that............Ana is actually a gs champion and was no1 Ana frigging Ivanovic. Hard to believe
Lucemferre is offline  
post #13 of 144 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2008, 08:42 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,149
                     
Re: Serbian fans of Ana&Jelena and their political beliefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidello View Post
Didn't I wrote it like that? You assume right
Yes, you did. I was just adding my thoughts.

A question out of curiosity: was the divide there before Ana had to miss the Olympics? If so, what made the more nationalist side like Jelena more?
Apoleb is offline  
post #14 of 144 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2008, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Fidello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,019
                     
Re: Serbian fans of Ana&Jelena and their political beliefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by saint2 View Post
SRS not stand even close to republicans. DS not stand even close to Democrats. Only common is that SRS is pretending that is rightist and DS is pretending that is leftist.

Im not Serbian, but Im intrested in European politics and I know "some things" about it...
Well, like I said: to make things more clear... ok, let's call them conservatives and liberals
Fidello is offline  
post #15 of 144 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2008, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Fidello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,019
                     
Re: Serbian fans of Ana&Jelena and their political beliefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoleb View Post
Yes, you did. I was just adding my thoughts.

A question out of curiosity: was the divide there before Ana had to miss the Olympics? If so, what made the more nationalist side like Jelena more?
apparently, that famous fed cup match against Cibulkova when Jelena "almost died" because she was soo injured, but the love for her country gave her extra strenght. I'm paraphrasing her...
Fidello is offline  
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome