Should women play 3 out of 5 sets in Grand Slam finals? - TennisForum.com

View Poll Results: Should women play 3 out of 5 sets in Grand Slam finals?
Yes 33 42.31%
No 45 57.69%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 62 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2008, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,599
                     
Should women play 3 out of 5 sets in Grand Slam finals?

One thing I've never liked about women's tennis is that a lot of the Grand Slam finals are WAY TOO SHORT. I'm not talking so much about today's final, because it was a pretty decent length considering it was only 2 sets, but some of the finals have just been ridiculously short. There have been many that have gone by in less than an hour, and that Stefi vs Zvereva final they mentioned at one point during today's final only lasted about 35 minutes! I think it can be extremely anti-climactic to look forward to a final for two weeks only to have it end so quickly, and I've always been very disappointed whenever this happens. Just once I'd love to see an epic 5 hour Grand Slam final in women's tennis. Wouldn't that be amazing??? So that brings me to my question for today:

Should women play 3 out of 5 sets in Gland Slam finals?

And if not, what is the argument against it? Do people believe that women just aren't capable of playing 5 sets for some reason? Please explain your answer if you say no. I think this should be interesting...
AnomyBC is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 62 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Senior Member
 
toxina90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,286
                     
Re: Should women play 3 out of 5 sets in Grand Slam finals?

Absolutely, not just finals, all the matches should be best of 5 sets, to be fair, if the girls have complained for EQUAL pay, they should be willing to play EQUAL matches.

Its too easy for the women, and in my opinion there would be so much more excitement and the players would learn and develop more with longer matches.

Jankovic~Hantuchova~Vakulenko~Zheng~Bammer~Goerges ~Cetkovska~Safarova~Lisicki

Zakopalova~Dulko~Paszek~Pironkova~Clijsters~Golovi n~K.Bondarenko~Bouchard~Tsurenko

Schiavone~Li~Petkovic~Perebiynis~Mirza~Morigami~Fe dak~Wickmayer~Peer
toxina90 is offline  
post #3 of 62 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Senior Member
 
Destiny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 18,473
                     
Re: Should women play 3 out of 5 sets in Grand Slam finals?

The women's game is not like that!!

no

GEWT GURL


TWITTER NAME : https://twitter.com/Mozzawalks
Destiny is offline  
post #4 of 62 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Senior Member
 
mykarma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,168
                     
Re: Should women play 3 out of 5 sets in Grand Slam finals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnomyBC View Post
One thing I've never liked about women's tennis is that a lot of the Grand Slam finals are WAY TOO SHORT. I'm not talking so much about today's final, because it was a pretty decent length considering it was only 2 sets, but some of the finals have just been ridiculously short. There have been many that have gone by in less than an hour, and that Stefi vs Zvereva final they mentioned at one point during today's final only lasted about 35 minutes! I think it can be extremely anti-climactic to look forward to a final for two weeks only to have it end so quickly, and I've always been very disappointed whenever this happens. Just once I'd love to see an epic 5 hour Grand Slam final in women's tennis. Wouldn't that be amazing??? So that brings me to my question for today:

Should women play 3 out of 5 sets in Gland Slam finals?

And if not, what is the argument against it? Do people believe that women just aren't capable of playing 5 sets for some reason? Please explain your answer if you say no. I think this should be interesting...
No and I wish men played 3 sets.

Before you speak to me about your religion, first show it to me in how you treat other people; before you tell me how much you love your God, show me in how much you love all His children; before you preach to me of your passion for your faith, teach me about it through your compassion for your neighbors. In the end, I'm not as interested in what you have to tell or sell as in how you choose to live and give.

Cory Booker
mykarma is offline  
post #5 of 62 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2008, 05:42 PM
I felt suddenly quite wildly happy.
 
^bibi^'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: At the movies
Posts: 43,118
                     
Re: Should women play 3 out of 5 sets in Grand Slam finals?

Definitely not.. and men should play in 3sets too... 5 setters are sooooooooo boring

This can't last. This misery can't last. I must remember that and try to control myself. Nothing lasts really. Neither happiness nor despair. Not even life lasts very long. There'll come a time in the future when I shan't mind about this anymore, when I can look back and say quite peacefully and cheerfully how silly I was. No, no, I don't want that time to come ever. I want to remember every minute, always, always to the end of my days.
^bibi^ is offline  
post #6 of 62 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2008, 05:45 PM
Senior Member
 
serenus_2k8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 10,966
                     
Re: Should women play 3 out of 5 sets in Grand Slam finals?

Ye 5 sets are crappy, but for a champion to lose 2 sets and be out automatically is lame too.

heatherwatson laurarobson

usopen and wimbledon
#219juniorchampions #220

venuswilliams serenawilliams
serenus_2k8 is offline  
post #7 of 62 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Senior Member
 
Vaidisova Ruled's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,082
                     
Re: Should women play 3 out of 5 sets in Grand Slam finals?

NO
Women are not men. If women had to play 3 out of 5 sets it would means that the stronger woman would have won the final and not the better player

Sharapova | Jankovic | Pavlyuchenkova

“They are definitely a good example of how local communities can overcome the ‘victim syndrome,’ take greater control over their lives and build productive futures for themselves,” Ms. Sharapova said - UN Goodwill Ambassador
Vaidisova Ruled is offline  
post #8 of 62 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Senior Member
 
Tennisballova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Nederland
Posts: 5,575
                     
Re: Should women play 3 out of 5 sets in Grand Slam finals?

Nope. That would physically be too much for them, I'm affraid.
Tennisballova is offline  
post #9 of 62 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2008, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,599
                     
Re: Should women play 3 out of 5 sets in Grand Slam finals?

Quote:
5 setters are sooooooooo boring
Early round 5 setters can be boring, not 5 set FINALS. I'd like someone to name an example of a single 5 set Grand Slam Final that was boring. That's completely ridiculous.
AnomyBC is offline  
post #10 of 62 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Senior Member
 
DownTheLine21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 11,568
                     
Re: Should women play 3 out of 5 sets in Grand Slam finals?

The "EQUAL PRIZE MONEY = EQUAL SETS" argument is beyond ridiculous. Some people don't seem to realize that the length of the match isn't everything. A best of 3 match can be much more mentally (and even physically) demanding than a best of 5 match. It's all relative to the player and the match.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
DownTheLine21 is offline  
post #11 of 62 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2008, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,599
                     
Re: Should women play 3 out of 5 sets in Grand Slam finals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaidisova Rules View Post
NO
Women are not men. If women had to play 3 out of 5 sets it would means that the stronger woman would have won the final and not the better player
It has nothing to do with strength, it's all about endurance. And for the record, I've never seen anything to suggest that women have any less endurance than men do.

Also, what's wrong with the more physically fit player having an advantage?
AnomyBC is offline  
post #12 of 62 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 119
                     
Re: Should women play 3 out of 5 sets in Grand Slam finals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxina90 View Post
Absolutely, not just finals, all the matches should be best of 5 sets, to be fair, if the girls have complained for EQUAL pay, they should be willing to play EQUAL matches.

Its too easy for the women, and in my opinion there would be so much more excitement and the players would learn and develop more with longer matches.
funny, i was watching the tennis channel a couple of days ago and they did this segment on wimbledon and part of it was on equal pay. djokovic made it clear that he was pretty upset when he found out (probably because he spent like four-five hours on two matches last year) because he truly believes that women should play five setters too, and youzny(sp.?) basically said the same thing (i think...his accent was thick). while federer said that its great for womens tennis and he respects what they do and good for them and roddick said that hes just happy to be playing tennis as a profession and he can care less how much money he makes, as long as he can keep playing.
okayawesome21 is offline  
post #13 of 62 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2008, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,599
                     
Re: Should women play 3 out of 5 sets in Grand Slam finals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownTheLine21 View Post
The "EQUAL PRIZE MONEY = EQUAL SETS" argument is beyond ridiculous. Some people don't seem to realize that the length of the match isn't everything. A best of 3 match can be much more mentally (and even physically) demanding than a best of 5 match. It's all relative to the player and the match.
I think the equal prize money = equal sets argument is perfectly logical, but the argument you just made makes no sense to me. Obviously a 5 set match between 2 players is always going to be more demanding than a 3 set match between the same 2 players. How could it not be?
AnomyBC is offline  
post #14 of 62 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2008, 05:56 PM
HAND SCRAPED
 
-Sonic-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: England
Posts: 7,155
                     
Re: Should women play 3 out of 5 sets in Grand Slam finals?

I believe that if we made womens matches best of 5, a tiny tiny percentage of the matches would have a different outcome.

I think coming from 2-0 sets down or 2-1 down to win would be far more infrequent than it is on the mens tour - its hardly 'frequent' on the mens tour, but for women it'd be even less.
-Sonic- is offline  
post #15 of 62 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Senior Member
 
DownTheLine21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 11,568
                     
Re: Should women play 3 out of 5 sets in Grand Slam finals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnomyBC View Post
I think the equal prize money = equal sets argument is perfectly logical, but the argument you just made makes no sense to me. Obviously a 5 set match between 2 players is always going to be more demanding than a 3 set match between the same 2 players. How could it not be?
I'm just saying that too many people automatically assume that best of 5 matches are more phyically and mentally demanding. It's all relative. Nadal winning 6-1 6-1 6-1 (Best of 5) is less demanding than a 6-7 7-6 7-6 victory (Best of 3). In the second match, the players had to fight much harder (and for probably a lot longer, time-wise). Do they deserve less money?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
DownTheLine21 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome