Henin Admits She's Lacking Confidence - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2008, 03:04 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 13,507
                     
Henin Admits She's Lacking Confidence

Henin admits lack of confidence after Berlin loss

Reuters, Thursday May 8 2008 By Iain Rogers
BERLIN, May 8 (Reuters) - World number one Justine Henin said she was short on confidence after her surprise defeat by Dinara Safina in the German Open third round on Thursday.
The 25-year-old Belgian is still favourite to win a fifth French Open title next month but her early exit in Berlin, where she has won three times, has not helped her preparations.
"This tournament was important not only for the French Open," a subdued Henin told a news conference after her 5-7 6-3 6-1 loss. "It was important for me to get some confidence back and that's really what I miss right now."
Henin, who uncharacteristically served seven double faults against Safina, is due to play in Rome next week and will take a few days off before then to recuperate and take stock.
"It's not a problem with my tennis or a physical problem," she said. "I just lacked the courage to really grasp the opportunities and I have to work on that.
"I wish I could have had more matches but I also feel on the court that it's not enough and that's hard. But we'll see in the next few weeks."
With seven grand slam titles to her name, including two U.S. Opens and one at the Australian Open, Henin has already started cutting back her schedule and is planning for a retirement she said this week could come in the next two to five years.
The Belgian added that she was eyeing a future of leisurely travel and also planned to undertake some sort of study as a way of making the sacrifices required on the tour worthwhile.
Safina said she was sure Henin would return to top form once she had more tournaments under her belt.
"When you have everything it's sometimes hard to motivate," she told a news conference.
"In your mind you get tired. Maybe you take a little breather. I don't think it will affect Justine's tennis. Maybe she'll take a little break but then she'll be even more eager.
"I think it's not possible to be 100 percent every tournament, every week. I mean we are human beings."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/feedarticle/7505327
SOA_MC is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2008, 03:22 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 10,797
                     
Re: Henin Admits She's Lacking Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDS321 View Post
Henin admits lack of confidence after Berlin loss

Reuters, Thursday May 8 2008 By Iain Rogers
BERLIN, May 8 (Reuters) - World number one Justine Henin said she was short on confidence after her surprise defeat by Dinara Safina in the German Open third round on Thursday.
The 25-year-old Belgian is still favourite to win a fifth French Open title next month but her early exit in Berlin, where she has won three times, has not helped her preparations.
"This tournament was important not only for the French Open," a subdued Henin told a news conference after her 5-7 6-3 6-1 loss. "It was important for me to get some confidence back and that's really what I miss right now."
Henin, who uncharacteristically served seven double faults against Safina, is due to play in Rome next week and will take a few days off before then to recuperate and take stock.
"It's not a problem with my tennis or a physical problem," she said. "I just lacked the courage to really grasp the opportunities and I have to work on that.
"I wish I could have had more matches but I also feel on the court that it's not enough and that's hard. But we'll see in the next few weeks."
With seven grand slam titles to her name, including two U.S. Opens and one at the Australian Open, Henin has already started cutting back her schedule and is planning for a retirement she said this week could come in the next two to five years.
The Belgian added that she was eyeing a future of leisurely travel and also planned to undertake some sort of study as a way of making the sacrifices required on the tour worthwhile.
Safina said she was sure Henin would return to top form once she had more tournaments under her belt.
"When you have everything it's sometimes hard to motivate," she told a news conference.
"In your mind you get tired. Maybe you take a little breather. I don't think it will affect Justine's tennis. Maybe she'll take a little break but then she'll be even more eager.
"I think it's not possible to be 100 percent every tournament, every week. I mean we are human beings."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/feedarticle/7505327
I think every player goes through some sort of woes and I think she will pull out of it. But I hope she doesn't take to long in doing so. I think a loss like this allows other players to start thinking they might have an equal shot at her so she should be on guard for the future while trying to get her kinks in check.
Jakeev is offline  
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2008, 03:27 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 27,568
                     
Re: Henin Admits She's Lacking Confidence

She has said this several months ago. Confidence won't come by just saying "I Lack it". Do something please

Dementia
Serena X Venus
Holy "TF FAVOURITES" Trio- Guestoria X Q.V. Aga X KAMAN Karolina
FormalEducation is offline  
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2008, 03:51 AM
country flag mal
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 978
                     
Re: Henin Admits She's Lacking Confidence

Realistically, does she believe she can beat Sharapova?
mal is offline  
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2008, 03:53 AM
it's just me against the music.
 
In The Zone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 26,564
                     
Re: Henin Admits She's Lacking Confidence

Put her on the court where she has won 4 RG titles and she'll be confident. If Venus ever played Birmingham or Eastbourne, she'd have similar losses. But put them on Centre Court at their slam, confident is an understatement.

She is still the one to beat.
In The Zone is offline  
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2008, 03:56 AM
Most Loved Member
 
Kworb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 11,143
                     
Re: Henin Admits She's Lacking Confidence

Quote:
Henin, who uncharacteristically served seven double faults
Right, it's not like Justine to hit a double fault...

Anyway, Safina is so classy here. She has enormous respect for Justine.

2016 saviors of the WTA

ANGELIQUE KERBER 63 75 DOMINIKA CIBULKOVA 60 60
LOUISA CHIRICO 60 60 IRINA-CAMELIA BEGU 63 62 KARIN KNAPP 63 67 60
Kworb is offline  
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2008, 03:59 AM
country flag SM
Senior Member
 
SM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: New South Wales
Posts: 11,146
                     
Re: Henin Admits She's Lacking Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Zone View Post
Put her on the court where she has won 4 RG titles and she'll be confident. If Venus ever played Birmingham or Eastbourne, she'd have similar losses. But put them on Centre Court at their slam, confident is an understatement.

She is still the one to beat.
yup juju owns roland garros

Good luck to the Aussie and Balkan girls!
SM is offline  
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2008, 04:02 AM
Senior Member
 
austennis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,359
                     
Re: Henin Admits She's Lacking Confidence

Safina always says such nice comments bout other players.. she is one of the nicer girls on tour for sure

Venus Williams
Sammy Stosur
Ana Ivanovic
Kimmy Clijsters
Martina Hingis
Jarmila Groth
Sharapova Dokic Wozniacki Delaqua Molik Kirilenko Dementieva Na Dani Kvitova
austennis is offline  
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2008, 04:08 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,545
                     
Re: Henin Admits She's Lacking Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Zone View Post
Put her on the court where she has won 4 RG titles and she'll be confident. If Venus ever played Birmingham or Eastbourne, she'd have similar losses. But put them on Centre Court at their slam, confident is an understatement.

She is still the one to beat.
I dont know about that. I for one wont be surprised if she loses early at RG this year either.....

anyways, what Henin is going through is actually a pretty common thing. Its got a term for it (I cant think of it right now) where basically someone whose reached their peak completely forgets how to do it for awhile. Happens to althetes.. Musicians.. etc... But i think Justine just needs time off....so either she'll take it during th eyear of 08 could just be pitiful for her until the fall break....

Venus Ebone Starr


Serena Williams

Sharapova

Hantuchova
Tennisstar86 is offline  
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2008, 04:38 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 18,115
                     
Re: Henin Admits She's Lacking Confidence

Very nice from Dinara.
treufreund is offline  
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2008, 06:51 AM
和平.
 
new-york's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 17,024
                     
Re: Henin Admits She's Lacking Confidence

Deena's cool.

to new beginnings.
***
new-york is offline  
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2008, 06:56 AM
Senior Member
 
Buitenzorg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Domain
Posts: 41,471
                     
Re: Henin Admits She's Lacking Confidence

Henin, please do something about it, I really want to see win another RG title
Buitenzorg is offline  
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2008, 08:06 AM
Senior Member
 
justine schnyder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Israel
Posts: 21,132
                     
Re: Henin Admits She's Lacking Confidence

Nothing new sadly.
But I think she shouldn't say all this, it'll just give more confidence to her rivals knowing that.. I've never heard Serena saying something like that..

Henin, Schnyder, Jankovic, Aga Radwanska, Cornet


Official Trainer of the Jelena Clinic

http://i52.tinypic.com/2zxmlab.png
justine schnyder is offline  
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2008, 08:18 AM
lalala
 
kasia_q's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Warszawa
Posts: 786
                     
Re: Henin Admits She's Lacking Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by justine schnyder View Post
Nothing new sadly.
But I think she shouldn't say all this, it'll just give more confidence to her rivals knowing that.. I've never heard Serena saying something like that..
And you probably never will Even if Serena loses she still says she's the best, just not today or that the rival made some "lucky shots"

Rafa Nadal * Aga Radwańska * Sveta Kuznetsova * JMDP
kasia_q is offline  
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2008, 08:31 AM
Senior Member
 
justine schnyder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Israel
Posts: 21,132
                     
Re: Henin Admits She's Lacking Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasia_q View Post
And you probably never will Even if Serena loses she still says she's the best, just not today or that the rival made some "lucky shots"
Yep, that's what I meant, and that's why she hurts herself even more by saying this.. If she lacks confidence, which she is, she should say this to all the players..That won't help for sure..

Henin, Schnyder, Jankovic, Aga Radwanska, Cornet


Official Trainer of the Jelena Clinic

http://i52.tinypic.com/2zxmlab.png
justine schnyder is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome