Mary Jo Fernandez, I have advice for you if you're reading WTAWorld today, - TennisForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 84 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2008, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: florida
Posts: 24,621
                     
Mary Jo Fernandez, I have advice for you if you're reading WTAWorld today,



.....when watching televised matches involving Roddick, James Blake, or Mardy Fish it's not hard to figure out who the American commentators are rooting for. Justin Gimelstob swoons over his compatriots, and nobody can tell me that Pat McEnroe hasn't had a near sexual relationship with Roddick. (Listen to how he goes on about "ARod" during the matches). Either way, the American men seem to have a fraternity of sorts.

That brings me to the point of this post where I give advice to you, Mary Jo. Maria Sharapova, Justine Henin, and Jelena Jankovic are wonderful players, and they deserve all the accolades they get. You, Mary Jo, are a professional, and you seem to believe in fairness when you are doing commentary, but let's take a look @ your current Fed Cup squad: Asha Rolle, Brengle, and Huber. Maria Sharapova, Justine Henin, and Jelena Jankovic are not qualified to play for you, Coach Fernandez, during Fed Cup.

Now, Mary Jo, I've listened to you call Serena matches between MS, JH, and JJ, and I must say, well.....I'm not absolutely sure "swooning" is exactly what you've done over Serena. Sure, you have no problem talking about Serena's aces and power, but rarely have I ever heard you give a compliment on her skill level or her ability to strategically work a point. Again, Mary Jo, these are compliments.

Now, Mary Jo, I'm not saying you need to compromise the integrity of your broadcasting by openly rooting for American players, but well....we see who's playing for the American Davis Cup team, and we see who's playing for the American Fed Cup team.

Mary Jo, maybe it's time for you to modify your idea of "fair broadcasting" in order that it is consistent with Pat McEnroe's.

....just sayin'......

-one of those "bad" Williams fans that everyone keeps talking about


OFFICIAL BLACKSMITH OF THE ROYAL COURT

I don't mind straight people as long as they act gay in public!
Pureracket is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 84 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2008, 10:54 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,316
                     
Re: Mary Jo Fernandez, I have advice for you if you're reading WTAWorld today,

omg That is one big ass to kiss though, she might not have the time to get round the hole thing. Sorry couldn't resist!

Quote:
I think with her serve and her athleticism, her power, her court mobility, I just think when she’s on, she’s the greatest player we’ve ever seen, ever. Now, whether her record is the greatest remains to be seen because she hasn’t retired yet. But I think she is really the greatest player. I have seen Martina and Steffi at their best. There are little chinks in those players’ armor, but it was a different era, where you didn’t need to be the perfect player.
Chris Evert
16
Thanx4nothin is offline  
post #3 of 84 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2008, 10:55 PM
it's just me against the music.
 
In The Zone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 26,541
                     
Re: Mary Jo Fernandez, I have advice for you if you're reading WTAWorld today,

Wrong.

Mary Jo is actually one of the more nicer commentators about Serena and Venus. Remember how she fought the men that Serena would beat Henin in the QF at RG and Wimbledon? and Mary Jo was picking Venus the entire time last year at Wimbledon.

Everyone is not a racist.
In The Zone is offline  
post #4 of 84 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2008, 10:56 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,506
                     
Re: Mary Jo Fernandez, I have advice for you if you're reading WTAWorld today,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pureracket View Post


.....when watching televised matches involving Roddick, James Blake, or Mardy Fish it's not hard to figure out who the American commentators are rooting for. Justin Gimelstob swoons over his compatriots, and nobody can tell me that Pat McEnroe hasn't had a near sexual relationship with Roddick. (Listen to how he goes on about "ARod" during the matches). Either way, the American men seem to have a fraternity of sorts.

That brings me to the point of this post where I give advice to you, Mary Jo. Maria Sharapova, Justine Henin, and Jelena Jankovic are wonderful players, and they deserve all the accolades they get. You, Mary Jo, are a professional, and you seem to believe in fairness when you are doing commentary, but let's take a look @ your current Fed Cup squad: Asha Rolle, Brengle, and Huber. Maria Sharapova, Justine Henin, and Jelena Jankovic are not qualified to play for you, Coach Fernandez, during Fed Cup.

Now, Mary Jo, I've listened to you call Serena matches between MS, JH, and JJ, and I must say, well.....I'm not absolutely sure "swooning" is exactly what you've done over Serena. Sure, you have no problem talking about Serena's aces and power, but rarely have I ever heard you give a compliment on her skill level or her ability to strategically work a point. Again, Mary Jo, these are compliments.

Now, Mary Jo, I'm not saying you need to compromise the integrity of your broadcasting by openly rooting for American players, but well....we see who's playing for the American Davis Cup team, and we see who's playing for the American Fed Cup team.

Mary Jo, maybe it's time for you to modify your idea of "fair broadcasting" in order that it is consistent with Pat McEnroe's.

....just sayin'......
You Need to pay attention more..... Mary Jo was almost peeing her pants at last years Austrailian Open over Serena.... she is not the commentator that needs to change her tune...

She is also the only one that picked Venus to Win wimbledon even before she beat Sharapova last year. AND shes always the one to bring the williams sisters into the equation... Maybe you my friend just need to sit down and not make stupid threads....

Venus Ebone Starr


Serena Williams

Sharapova

Hantuchova
Tennisstar86 is offline  
post #5 of 84 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2008, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: florida
Posts: 24,621
                     
Re: Mary Jo Fernandez, I have advice for you if you're reading WTAWorld today,

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Zone View Post
Wrong.

Mary Jo is actually one of the more nicer commentators about Serena and Venus. Remember how she fought the men that Serena would beat Henin in the QF at RG and Wimbledon? and Mary Jo was picking Venus the entire time last year at Wimbledon.

Everyone is not a racist.
Future posters of this thread.....we see who has mentioned race first in this thread. Nothing, NOTHING, NOTHING about race is mentioned in the opening thread.

-one of those "bad" Williams fans that everyone keeps talking about


OFFICIAL BLACKSMITH OF THE ROYAL COURT

I don't mind straight people as long as they act gay in public!
Pureracket is offline  
post #6 of 84 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2008, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: florida
Posts: 24,621
                     
Re: Mary Jo Fernandez, I have advice for you if you're reading WTAWorld today,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennisstar86 View Post
You Need to pay attention more..... Mary Jo was almost peeing her pants at last years Austrailian Open over Serena.... she is not the commentator that needs to change her tune...

She is also the only one that picked Venus to Win wimbledon even before she beat Sharapova last year. AND shes always the one to bring the williams sisters into the equation... Maybe you my friend just need to sit down and not make stupid threads....
I didn't even look @ my watch. I didn't know the school kids were out. I guess the learning disabled are too.

Anyway, if you had the reading proficiency/comprehension skills of a toucan, you'd see that the operative word is "swooning." Keep up.

C'mon, you can do this.

-one of those "bad" Williams fans that everyone keeps talking about


OFFICIAL BLACKSMITH OF THE ROYAL COURT

I don't mind straight people as long as they act gay in public!
Pureracket is offline  
post #7 of 84 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2008, 11:01 PM
it's just me against the music.
 
In The Zone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 26,541
                     
Re: Mary Jo Fernandez, I have advice for you if you're reading WTAWorld today,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennisstar86 View Post
You Need to pay attention more..... Mary Jo was almost peeing her pants at last years Austrailian Open over Serena.... she is not the commentator that needs to change her tune...

She is also the only one that picked Venus to Win wimbledon even before she beat Sharapova last year. AND shes always the one to bring the williams sisters into the equation... Maybe you my friend just need to sit down and not make stupid threads....
Yes, thank you. No reason to tarnish MJF's good name for no reason. Simply because the OP was bored.
In The Zone is offline  
post #8 of 84 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2008, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: florida
Posts: 24,621
                     
Re: Mary Jo Fernandez, I have advice for you if you're reading WTAWorld today,

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Zone View Post
Yes, thank you. No reason to tarnish MJF's good name for no reason. Simply because the OP was bored.
Your attack about race is evil and unsubstantiated. I'm not upset, though, it's your pollution.

Also, if anybody sees this as an attack on MJF, you obviously aren't a sports fan and can't tell what I'm talking about.

I'm talking about the difference between MJF's commentary and Pat McEnroe's. The teams are there, and we know good and well it's a difference.

-one of those "bad" Williams fans that everyone keeps talking about


OFFICIAL BLACKSMITH OF THE ROYAL COURT

I don't mind straight people as long as they act gay in public!
Pureracket is offline  
post #9 of 84 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2008, 11:04 PM
Senior Member
 
practiceboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 712
                     
Re: Mary Jo Fernandez, I have advice for you if you're reading WTAWorld today,

Your post assumes:

-that Serena watches replays of her own matches and listens carefully to Mary Jo's commentary
-that Serena actually cares what Mary Jo says
-that Serena's thought process would be something like: "Oh, gosh, even though I'm busy, I should really fly to Moscow and play because Mary Jo really said a lot of nice things about me during my last match"

Also, like a few others have already mentioned, I think Mary Jo arguably already does pretty much "swoon" over Serena
practiceboy is offline  
post #10 of 84 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2008, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: florida
Posts: 24,621
                     
Re: Mary Jo Fernandez, I have advice for you if you're reading WTAWorld today,

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Zone View Post
Yes, thank you. No reason to tarnish MJF's good name for no reason. Simply because the OP was bored.
How is this tarnishing MJF's "good name?" OMG! Is she your friggin' minister or something...."tarnish her good name"....the fuck outta here, ITZ.

-one of those "bad" Williams fans that everyone keeps talking about


OFFICIAL BLACKSMITH OF THE ROYAL COURT

I don't mind straight people as long as they act gay in public!
Pureracket is offline  
post #11 of 84 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2008, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: florida
Posts: 24,621
                     
Re: Mary Jo Fernandez, I have advice for you if you're reading WTAWorld today,

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornellBoy View Post
Your post assumes:

-that Serena watches replays of her own matches and listens carefully to Mary Jo's commentary
-that Serena actually cares what Mary Jo says
-that Serena's thought process would be something like: "Oh, gosh, even though I'm busy, I should really fly to Moscow and play because Mary Jo really said a lot of nice things about me during my last match"

Also, like a few others have already mentioned, I think Mary Jo arguably already does pretty much "swoon" over Serena
Thanks for the sensible post. I don't have to assume anything more than the knowledge that Serena knows the kind of responses she gets from commentators. She's human like anybody else. I don't think it would hurt to hear from a friend of hers, "That Mary Jo Fernandez could NOT stop talking about your backhand." I'm sure Andy hears it. I'm sure Blake does too.

Your last assumption is putting the commentary in a vacuum, and I have a feeling you know I'm talking about more than just that. The commentary would be combined with any other compliments she could do.

Again, it's working for Pat McEnroe.

-one of those "bad" Williams fans that everyone keeps talking about


OFFICIAL BLACKSMITH OF THE ROYAL COURT

I don't mind straight people as long as they act gay in public!
Pureracket is offline  
post #12 of 84 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2008, 11:11 PM
it's just me against the music.
 
In The Zone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 26,541
                     
Re: Mary Jo Fernandez, I have advice for you if you're reading WTAWorld today,

I didn't make an attack about race. But when you claim UNFOUNDED DISRESPECT and that no respect is granted for the Williams Sisters by an American commentator, it's pretty clear what you're trying to promote.

But Mary Jo, out of all the commentators, I would put at # 1 for how she shows respects to the Sisters.

In fact, this thread is SO stupid I can't believe I'm posting in it. Sorry, but not everyone can kiss their asses 100% of the time.
In The Zone is offline  
post #13 of 84 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2008, 11:11 PM
Senior Member
 
Wannabeknowitall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA USA
Posts: 17,275
                     
Re: Mary Jo Fernandez, I have advice for you if you're reading WTAWorld today,

She's just as fair as Patrick MacEnroe if even more fair.

Patrick outright said with Pam Shriver that James Blake didn't have the toughness of a Serena, Venus, Federer, Nadal, to win these five setters at Wimbledon one year.

The dude played regardless of those comments and still continues to play.
The comment were true, the thing is you don't expect that from your David Cup coach.
I'm going to be possibly playing 5 setters and you don't think I'm tough enough?

He makes comments on his impatience, that he doesn't mix it up enough, that he gets down on himself so easily even when he's winning.

She's IMO the fairest of the commentators.
She corrected Cliff time and time again to the point of it being annoying.

Cliff: I can't remember when Serena has played like this.
Mary Jo: [Pretty sure she was rolling her eyes] Serena played like this at Miami against Justine.

BTW, Cliff here's something you should invest in. I
Instead of making people pay outrageous prices for lessons from you, how about you actually watch a little tennis when you're on your off days.
You might understand the difference between Slovenia and Slovakia among other things.
I only like him because he annoys the hell out of Patrick and Mary Carillo especially Mary Carillo.
That bitch needs to understand how annoying it is to hear her comment negatively against the Williams Sisters 24/7.

It's the best matchup in tennis commentary.

Cliff Drysdale, the South African queen who tries his best to be open-minded (and straight) with women's tennis but you can hear his bias (because he likes the mens).
Mary Carillo, the Queens dyke, who John MacEnroe dragged to winning a mixed doubles title who has no real experience in singles to commentate who insults women's tennis to be more like the boys.
Total Opposites do not attract sometimes.

"Everybody always said I didn't get that job because my wife is white. If you're not strong enough to look through that then you have the issue."
-Charlie Strong, assistant head coach of the Florida Gators

Black presidents of the US=1
Black head coaches in the SEC=0
Something needs to change.

Last edited by Wannabeknowitall; Apr 18th, 2008 at 11:19 PM.
Wannabeknowitall is offline  
post #14 of 84 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2008, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: florida
Posts: 24,621
                     
Re: Mary Jo Fernandez, I have advice for you if you're reading WTAWorld today,

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Zone View Post
I didn't make an attack about race. But when you claim UNFOUNDED DISRESPECT and that no respect is granted for the Williams Sisters by an American commentator, it's pretty clear what you're trying to promote.
Pulease.....you got called on your bullshit, idiot. Take that triflin' ass, whack shit to somebody who'll fall for it. You claimed something was racist when race has nothing to do with it. Hell, MJF is Hispanic. Anyway....I can't even believe I'm trying to explain myself to you in this situation. Other sensible posters do too. You're wired from that election shit over in non-tennis. Go kick rocks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Zone
But Mary Jo, out of all the commentators, I would put at # 1 for how she shows respects to the Sisters.

In fact, this thread is SO stupid I can't believe I'm posting in it. Sorry, but not everyone can kiss their asses 100% of the time.
If you just got out of elementary school for a second, you'd understand what I'm talking about. I NEVER said that MJF disrespects Serena, Venus, or LD. I NEVER said she didn't like them. My last complete sentence reads, "
Mary Jo, maybe it's time for you to modify your idea of "fair broadcasting" in order that it is consistent with Pat McEnroe's.

That has nothing to do with "disrespecting the Sisters."

Where did you go to learn how to argue "invisible" points? You always do that.

-one of those "bad" Williams fans that everyone keeps talking about


OFFICIAL BLACKSMITH OF THE ROYAL COURT

I don't mind straight people as long as they act gay in public!
Pureracket is offline  
post #15 of 84 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2008, 11:18 PM
Senior Member
 
IceHock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: cali
Posts: 9,616
                     
Re: Mary Jo Fernandez, I have advice for you if you're reading WTAWorld today,

there's nothing wrong with mary joe, just because someone doesn't praise ur fave doesn't mean they hate them. pat mcenroe roots for andy and yeah so what, he's sure doing alot these days.
IceHock is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome