This is Serena's biggest opportunity to finish what she started... - TennisForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2008, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
AcesHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 10,201
                     
This is Serena's biggest opportunity to finish what she started...

..back in 2002-2003. Henin is struggling, Ivanovic and Jankovic havent fully matured. Venus hasn't shown the form she needs to win tournaments again although she's slowly getting there. And she has the advantage over Sharapova on all surfaces.

This is Serena's chance to start collecting titles and slams again. It won't be as easy, but this is the perfect opening with the young players not developed yet and the older ones declining.

It won't be as easy as before, but looking at the field, Serena has a small window. Her body won't hold up forever and in a few years, she'll no longer be the dominant force she is now. That fear factor she had before can be regained. If she can intimidate Maria, she can intimidate anyone..and when an opponent steps onto the court believing you are better, believing you have the ability to pummel them, half the fight is won.

Anyway, I'm interested to hear what you think

I always wanted to be somebody. If I made it, it's half because I was game enough to take a lot of punishment along the way and half because there were a lot of people who cared enough to help me.
-Althea Gibson


Quote:
Originally Posted by darrinbaker00 View Post
When will you learn that "pushers" never make it past the club level, let alone #1 on the WTA computer? Will it be too late?
AcesHigh is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2008, 08:48 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,186
                     
Re: This is Serena's biggest opportunity to finish what she started...

good point
she better start it by winning the FO

her body isnt what it used to be
having said that i find it hard to believe that she will win more than 1 slam this year
anyway she has to beat jelena first here

If you're not paying for something, then you're the product.
Expat is offline  
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2008, 08:49 PM
*
 
The Daviator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 22,814
                     
Re: This is Serena's biggest opportunity to finish what she started...

Despite the bizarre AO loss, this has been an amazing start to the season for Serena, she's beaten every top 5 player already except Ana and it's only April, I'd be shocked if she didn't pick up at least 1 Slam this year.

Ivanovic * Kvitova * Serena
The Daviator is offline  
post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Senior Member
 
LightWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,548
                     
Re: This is Serena's biggest opportunity to finish what she started...

She intimidates Maria. But apparently she doesn't intimidate Jankovic.
But I agree, this is the first time in years she's 100% both fit and focused on tennis. Now there's the chance !
LightWarrior is offline  
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Senior Member
 
Olórin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 13,636
                     
Re: This is Serena's biggest opportunity to finish what she started...

I definitely agree. With Henin have other "interests" and form problems, Venus not the same, and others not quite there yet, Serena has a great chance to bump her numbers up, she just needs to stay healthy.

If she can continue moving and playing well I would expect a lot from her. Plus I think she is slowly getting that intimidation factor back. 2005/6 she'd lost it against the elite, but she's starting to regain that aura now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alla Luce View Post
(1)A lot is being made of the record Serena has vs Sharapova. It is being used as THE reason she will win again lol. Good thing we have players like Tomas Berdych (who had an even worse record vs Nadal) to remind us of the fallacy of this nonsense logic.
(2)You stans may as well sleep well tonight because tomorrow the a replay of Lucie's winning moment over and over again will haunt your dreams for weeks to come
(3)The stars have aligned perfectly for the upset of the 21st century. All the best Garbine
(4) There is no path to victory for Williams.Keys wins in straight easy sets.
Olórin is online now  
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,186
                     
Re: This is Serena's biggest opportunity to finish what she started...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Daviator View Post
Despite the bizarre AO loss, this has been an amazing start to the season for Serena, she's beaten every top 5 player already except Ana and it's only March, I'd be shocked if she didn't pick up at least 1 Slam this year.
unfortunately that was the most important match she lost this year
i still cant understand what happened to her serve that day

If you're not paying for something, then you're the product.
Expat is offline  
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Senior Member
 
Olórin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 13,636
                     
Re: This is Serena's biggest opportunity to finish what she started...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingfails999 View Post
She intimidates Maria. But apparently she doesn't intimidate Jankovic.
Did you not hear Jelena's interviews after the Miami final. She commented how intimidating it was when Serena was playing well against her in the first set, she said she felt like a feather weight playing a heavy weight; then she made a joke about how Serena was being nice to her by losing the second set.

I think she would have more confidence on clay though. She's beaten an awful lot of good players on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alla Luce View Post
(1)A lot is being made of the record Serena has vs Sharapova. It is being used as THE reason she will win again lol. Good thing we have players like Tomas Berdych (who had an even worse record vs Nadal) to remind us of the fallacy of this nonsense logic.
(2)You stans may as well sleep well tonight because tomorrow the a replay of Lucie's winning moment over and over again will haunt your dreams for weeks to come
(3)The stars have aligned perfectly for the upset of the 21st century. All the best Garbine
(4) There is no path to victory for Williams.Keys wins in straight easy sets.
Olórin is online now  
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 10,682
                     
Re: This is Serena's biggest opportunity to finish what she started...

Let's see if she wins Charleston. She was supposed to be doing this after Miami last year, but it didn't happen. If she gets Charleston, it's a great start, winning three titles in a row. She hasn't done that since early 2003, right?

She said she's going to try and play both red clay TI events, right? Even if she doesn't, if she wins Paris...and does well in Wimbledon...well, we'll have to see. First, Charleston. Beating Jankovic, Schnyder, or Dementieva in the final would be BIG for her. Then go on from there.
LudwigDvorak is offline  
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Senior Member
 
Olórin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 13,636
                     
Re: This is Serena's biggest opportunity to finish what she started...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalit View Post
unfortunately that was the most important match she lost this year
i still cant understand what happened to her serve that day
Well that loss will make her all the more motivated at the other slams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alla Luce View Post
(1)A lot is being made of the record Serena has vs Sharapova. It is being used as THE reason she will win again lol. Good thing we have players like Tomas Berdych (who had an even worse record vs Nadal) to remind us of the fallacy of this nonsense logic.
(2)You stans may as well sleep well tonight because tomorrow the a replay of Lucie's winning moment over and over again will haunt your dreams for weeks to come
(3)The stars have aligned perfectly for the upset of the 21st century. All the best Garbine
(4) There is no path to victory for Williams.Keys wins in straight easy sets.
Olórin is online now  
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Senior Member
 
DOUBLEFIST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: LA
Posts: 10,529
                     
Re: This is Serena's biggest opportunity to finish what she started...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcesHigh View Post
..back in 2002-2003. Henin is struggling, Ivanovic and Jankovic havent fully matured. Venus hasn't shown the form she needs to win tournaments again although she's slowly getting there. And she has the advantage over Sharapova on all surfaces.

This is Serena's chance to start collecting titles and slams again. It won't be as easy, but this is the perfect opening with the young players not developed yet and the older ones declining.

It won't be as easy as before, but looking at the field, Serena has a small window. Her body won't hold up forever and in a few years, she'll no longer be the dominant force she is now. That fear factor she had before can be regained. If she can intimidate Maria, she can intimidate anyone..and when an opponent steps onto the court believing you are better, believing you have the ability to pummel them, half the fight is won.

Anyway, I'm interested to hear what you think
Excellent observation. And I agree that the window is much smaller now, but it's still there!!

JA ME KA IS THE GOAT!!!
22!!!!The Debate is OVER, Suckas!!
Queen Vee , Keys!, Steffi , Maria,Pre-Carlos Na A-Rad
DOUBLEFIST is offline  
post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,506
                     
Re: This is Serena's biggest opportunity to finish what she started...

I dont know if Serena has the motivation to dominate like she did... I think she really wants the french open.... so she will have won each slam twice and by doing so cemented her place as the best of the generation regardless of what henin does (cause i doubt Henin will ever win wimbledon once let alone 2 times.... but after that who knows....

The US is a toss up really IMO it seems peoples bodies have been giving up by that tournament fatigue etc... and Serena is no exception.

As far as Wimbledon goes its the only surface Venus has the edge over her. she had trouble beating a crimpled venus in 03. so If Venus doesnt find her form (which is possible, but as you said shes slowly finding it) then yes Serena has a great chance there.

That said i dont think 04 Wimbledon was a fluke for sharapova, and theres a rason she dominated her there because i believe on grass Sharapova also has the advantage over Serena just like Venus.... of course now its a mental game for her after the thrashings shes recieved...

Venus Ebone Starr


Serena Williams

Sharapova

Hantuchova
Tennisstar86 is offline  
post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2008, 08:55 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 35,994
                     
Re: This is Serena's biggest opportunity to finish what she started...

Demska is offline  
post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2008, 08:55 PM
it's just me against the music.
 
In The Zone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 26,541
                     
Re: This is Serena's biggest opportunity to finish what she started...

Serena Slam, Version 2.0 beginning at RG 08 with the Gold Medal this time!
In The Zone is offline  
post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2008, 08:55 PM
Winner
 
Dave.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 15,011
                     
Re: This is Serena's biggest opportunity to finish what she started...

Good call. I agree. Serena did extremely well in 2007 to get her career back on track. Her 05-06 were awful seasons for her, so it was great to recover. For the first time since 04, she was a genuine top player. It's great to see she has built on her 2007 season and seems to be getting even better this year. If she continues getting these results and plays enough, she can definetely get back to the top 5.
Dave. is offline  
post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Senior Member
 
Olórin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 13,636
                     
Re: This is Serena's biggest opportunity to finish what she started...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennisstar86 View Post
I dont know if Serena has the motivation to dominate like she did... I think she really wants the french open.... so she will have won each slam twice and by doing so cemented her place as the best of the generation regardless of what henin does (cause i doubt Henin will ever win wimbledon once let alone 2 times.... but after that who knows....

The US is a toss up really IMO it seems peoples bodies have been giving up by that tournament fatigue etc... and Serena is no exception.

As far as Wimbledon goes its the only surface Venus has the edge over her. she had trouble beating a crimpled venus in 03. so If Venus doesnt find her form (which is possible, but as you said shes slowly finding it) then yes Serena has a great chance there.

That said i dont think 04 Wimbledon was a fluke for sharapova, and theres a rason she dominated her there because i believe on grass Sharapova also has the advantage over Serena just like Venus.... of course now its a mental game for her after the thrashings shes recieved...
She was not playing nearly as well as she did in the quarters and semis though. I think a part of her didn't want to beat Venus that day. However, I agree that she would need to be at her best to beat Venus on grass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alla Luce View Post
(1)A lot is being made of the record Serena has vs Sharapova. It is being used as THE reason she will win again lol. Good thing we have players like Tomas Berdych (who had an even worse record vs Nadal) to remind us of the fallacy of this nonsense logic.
(2)You stans may as well sleep well tonight because tomorrow the a replay of Lucie's winning moment over and over again will haunt your dreams for weeks to come
(3)The stars have aligned perfectly for the upset of the 21st century. All the best Garbine
(4) There is no path to victory for Williams.Keys wins in straight easy sets.
Olórin is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome