Watching Serena-Schnyder final was PAINFUL!! - TennisForum.com

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2008, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
aguy9797's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,399
                     
Watching Serena-Schnyder final was PAINFUL!!

One has to really love tennis to endure this festival of errors. How could a player with Patti's experience have failed to take advantage of horribly playing Serena. What was Patti's strategy? She is a mature player, she should have been able to read her opponent's game better, Patti's answer to Seren's errors was making even more errors. As to Serena's game...in a nutshell, Serena 2003 would beat the current Serena in 50 minutes 6:0 6:0
aguy9797 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Senior Member
 
Destiny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 18,473
                     
Re: Watching Serena-Schnyder final was PAINFUL!!

Serena 2003 would beat the current Serena in 50 minutes 6:0 6:0


GEWT GURL


TWITTER NAME : https://twitter.com/Mozzawalks
Destiny is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,316
                     
Re: Watching Serena-Schnyder final was PAINFUL!!

lol no she wouldnt lol remember that 2003 serena almost lost to Loit but yes she has regressed but, wasn't she injured?

Quote:
I think with her serve and her athleticism, her power, her court mobility, I just think when she’s on, she’s the greatest player we’ve ever seen, ever. Now, whether her record is the greatest remains to be seen because she hasn’t retired yet. But I think she is really the greatest player. I have seen Martina and Steffi at their best. There are little chinks in those players’ armor, but it was a different era, where you didn’t need to be the perfect player.
Chris Evert
16
Thanx4nothin is offline  
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2008, 05:53 PM
blurring the lines between the real and the fake
 
V-MAC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 25,244
                     
Re: Watching Serena-Schnyder final was PAINFUL!!

I watched the highlights on Eurosport last night and yeah I see where you're coming from. There were a few nice points there but Patty spraying the ball like crazy in that second set was just

V-MAC is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2008, 05:56 PM
Senior Member
 
sammy01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: England
Posts: 25,413
                     
Re: Watching Serena-Schnyder final was PAINFUL!!

it was rubbish tennis but serena held it together better. patty has never been very good at holding her game together when its not working. serena could always get a few cheap points on serve which i think was the difference in the match.

Anna Chakvetadze Rules

Kim Clijsters - Supporting the comeback!

I have no other faves, I just hate
sammy01 is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2008, 06:07 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 12,389
                     
Re: Watching Serena-Schnyder final was PAINFUL!!

This is disappointing to hear. I was hoping she would pick up from her improving form at the AO b4 the QF. But hopefully she plays much better at the Miami cuz she'll need to if she wants to defend her title.
starin is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Senior Member
 
serenus_2k8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 10,966
                     
Re: Watching Serena-Schnyder final was PAINFUL!!

Regardless of what you say, you only ever need to play good enough to win, there is no extra points for total domination

heatherwatson laurarobson

usopen and wimbledon
#219juniorchampions #220

venuswilliams serenawilliams
serenus_2k8 is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2008, 06:51 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Among The Greats
Posts: 40,007
                     
Re: Watching Serena-Schnyder final was PAINFUL!!

Exactly.

A win is a win.

And Serena's won a LOT of ugly matches before (even during her 2002-2003 run). Those actually work WONDERS for her confidence. It's like Roger Fed said, "being a true champ isn't about being at your best all of the time, it's about being able to win, even when you're not at your best."

Career Grand Slam in your 20s? Been there done that. Career golden slam your 30s?
There's only 1.
Serena.
♛♛♛♛♛♛♛♛
[22]
MrSerenaWilliams is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 12,389
                     
Re: Watching Serena-Schnyder final was PAINFUL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrserenawilliams View Post
Exactly.

A win is a win.

And Serena's won a LOT of ugly matches before (even during her 2002-2003 run). Those actually work WONDERS for her confidence. It's like Roger Fed said, "being a true champ isn't about being at your best all of the time, it's about being able to win, even when you're not at your best."
yeah it's great but it would also be nice to see her play well...its been almost a year. And she's gong to have to play well if she ever wants to get over her QF hump.
starin is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Senior Member
 
Olórin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 13,557
                     
Re: Watching Serena-Schnyder final was PAINFUL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by manatee View Post
yeah it's great but it would also be nice to see her play well...its been almost a year. And she's gong to have to play well if she ever wants to get over her QF hump.
She's playing well for the odd set, the odd match. It's not like she's turning up and every tournament and just losing badly.

People should bear in mind that she is 8-1 for the year. Those patches of good play are encouraging for later on in the year. Even in 2002 she played some VERY dodgy tennis in Scottsdale/Miami, and other than perhaps 4/5 matches in 2003 her ground game was rather awry.

Serena isn't some sort of Steffi Graf who brings her razor sharp form to every match. She never has been.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alla Luce View Post
(1)A lot is being made of the record Serena has vs Sharapova. It is being used as THE reason she will win again lol. Good thing we have players like Tomas Berdych (who had an even worse record vs Nadal) to remind us of the fallacy of this nonsense logic.
(2)You stans may as well sleep well tonight because tomorrow the a replay of Lucie's winning moment over and over again will haunt your dreams for weeks to come
(3)The stars have aligned perfectly for the upset of the 21st century. All the best Garbine
(4) There is no path to victory for Williams.Keys wins in straight easy sets.
Olórin is offline  
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2008, 08:19 PM
 
harloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Wonderland Arts Society
Posts: 18,898
                     
Re: Watching Serena-Schnyder final was PAINFUL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena~lover View Post
She's playing well for the odd set, the odd match. It's not like she's turning up and every tournament and just losing badly.

People should bear in mind that she is 8-1 for the year. Those patches of good play are encouraging for later on in the year. Even in 2002 she played some VERY dodgy tennis in Scottsdale/Miami, and other than perhaps 4/5 matches in 2003 her ground game was rather awry.

Serena isn't some sort of Steffi Graf who brings her razor sharp form to every match. She never has been.
Serena only played her most consistent tennis in 2002. Whether she's able to do that each tournament again is a mystery. I'll take any kind of tournament win at this point because both her and Venus haven't necessarily been racking up titles lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcesHigh
I'll say this in public once. I miss serena so much. Fed is my favorite player but no one does it like her.

harloo is offline  
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Senior Member
 
Olórin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 13,557
                     
Re: Watching Serena-Schnyder final was PAINFUL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harloo View Post
Serena only played her most consistent tennis in 2002. Whether she's able to do that each tournament again is a mystery. I'll take any kind of tournament win at this point because both her and Venus haven't necessarily been racking up titles lately.
Exactly...I don't care how she does it, but I'd rather see her winning than losing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alla Luce View Post
(1)A lot is being made of the record Serena has vs Sharapova. It is being used as THE reason she will win again lol. Good thing we have players like Tomas Berdych (who had an even worse record vs Nadal) to remind us of the fallacy of this nonsense logic.
(2)You stans may as well sleep well tonight because tomorrow the a replay of Lucie's winning moment over and over again will haunt your dreams for weeks to come
(3)The stars have aligned perfectly for the upset of the 21st century. All the best Garbine
(4) There is no path to victory for Williams.Keys wins in straight easy sets.
Olórin is offline  
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Senior Member
 
Sir Stefwhit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: New York
Posts: 5,936
                     
Re: Watching Serena-Schnyder final was PAINFUL!!

I'll be the first to admit that the play in the final was neither players shinning moment. I recorded the final and honestly probably wont keep it, but still, you guys are making too big of a deal out of it.

Players have bad days, it's nothing new, and no player is excluded from this. As tennis fans, the mistake that a lot of us make time and time again is that we put too much emphasis on a players last match played.

You see Sharapova get crushed 6-0,6-0 and you wrongly think this will carry over to her next tournament or even her next match against the opponent that beat her and it proves NOT to be the case.

You watch Serena play three excellent matches, then assume that's she's on a roll, only to watch her crash and burn in her next match.

You see Graf struggle all year to win a tournament, then mistakenly think she doesn't have it in her anymore only to see her go on to win the French and make the finals of Wimbledon.

You watch Justine win the French Open and think she's in good form to really challenge at Wimbledon only to see her lose in the first round.

In a nutshell, we put way too much emphasis on the last result. Tennis is a sport that can change on a dime. So many things can influence how a player plays and then there's things we have no way of measuring like motivation and determination. Sometimes the more we act like we know how things will unfold, the more foolish we look in trying to predict things.

Current form is a tricky thing, it's only as current as your last match, so it's forever changing.

STEFWHIT'S HALL OF FAME
Greatest Singles Player of All Time: Steffi Graf
Simply the BEST: Serena Williams [Proud MEMBER OF RENA'S ARMY]
The REAL GOAT Rafael Nadal
Future Inductees: Clijsters, C.Evert, A.Agassi, A.Berasategui, N. Zvereva, I.Majoli, M.Safin, Li Na, VIKA, and Del Potro
Sir Stefwhit is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome