WTA rolling in buck$$ - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2008, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
goldenlox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: cyberspace
Posts: 97,075
                     
WTA rolling in buck$$

"The WTA has become profitable. We're now spending money on marketing and our revenue generation from sponsorship is far higher, as it is from TV," she said. "We actually, for the first time, have a reserve. We have an $84-million [U.S.], six-year contract for the year-end championships [2008-10 in Qatar and 2011-13 in Turkey]."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl.../?query=tennis

The most wasted of all days is one without laughter....
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there
Enjoy This Moment!!
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Guest
 
*JR*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: On the Peace Train
Posts: 34,249
                     
Re: WTA rolling in buck$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
"The WTA has become profitable. We're now spending money on marketing and our revenue generation from sponsorship is far higher, as it is from TV," she said. "We actually, for the first time, have a reserve. We have an $84-million [U.S.], six-year contract for the year-end championships [2008-10 in Qatar and 2011-13 in Turkey]."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl.../?query=tennis
That's nice. Perhaps now they can cover the expenses of players (and coaches) traveling to tournaments, and a second hotel room for the coach? Of course in all major team sports these expenses are covered, not to mention that the player doesn't have to pay the salary of a professional coach.
*JR* is offline  
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2008, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
goldenlox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: cyberspace
Posts: 97,075
                     
Re: WTA rolling in buck$$

That's true. They should use this new money to help the rank and file, who need the financial help.
And they should raise early round prizemoney. Especially at IW and Miami.
Being one of those 96 should be worth $10,000, and $20,000 to be in the final 64.

The most wasted of all days is one without laughter....
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there
Enjoy This Moment!!
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline  
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Senior Member
 
Cp6uja's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 13,363
                     
Re: WTA rolling in buck$$

I'm never in doubt that Sharapova/Ivanovic era will be golden era in womans tennis in terms of profit (two "high-competetive Kournikovas" in same time is just perfect for $$$), but things is actualy not so good like seems. Most dangerous thing for womans tennis right now (and theys profit also) is upcoming total disaster of US woman tennis. I dont see even close anybody to replace players like Lindsay, Venus and Serena. Thanks god that Maria is global superstar with strong connections with US public, but without next tennis great champion from USA, WTA needs atleast one TOP10 or couple TOP20 players from USA in near future to prevent big damage after last US big3 retirment.

On other hand we must to confess that iritating Larry Scott is maybe already best CEO/manager which WTA ever have (in terms of business) and especialy is good his shedule reform project (since 2009) with 4+4 big events formula. Equal money prize at slams like first step, and now with 4 new "big events" (+YEC) which is ready to be compared with ATP masters series is next step - and without profit this will be unposible.

and I'm not even fan of Ana Ivanovic... just an objective observer who realize how perfect she is

AMAZING BELGRADE MIRACLE: In just three years (2008-2011) 5 different players born in same city reach world #1 in rankings and several GS titles and finals (WTA singles: Ana Ivanovic and Jelena Jankovic, ATP singles: Novak Djokovic, ATP doubles: Nenad Zimonjic and Daniel Nestor... with notable performances of Bojana Jovanovski, Janko Tipsarevic and Viktor Troicki which is also all three born in Belgrade)
Cp6uja is offline  
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2008, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
goldenlox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: cyberspace
Posts: 97,075
                     
Re: WTA rolling in buck$$

If Na Li can win a major, the money coming into the sport from China will be unbelievable.

Even though the US is dead, the USO is a cash cow and the USTA will always be able to support a lot of events.

The most wasted of all days is one without laughter....
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there
Enjoy This Moment!!
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline  
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Senior Member
 
Cp6uja's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 13,363
                     
Re: WTA rolling in buck$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
If Na Li can win a major, the money coming into the sport from China will be unbelievable.

Even though the US is dead, the USO is a cash cow and the USTA will always be able to support a lot of events.
Actualy we dont know what will happen after Lindsay and Sisters go without any seriously US replaces b/c that will be unique situation in womans tennis. Even after end of Evert/Graf era when USA dont have any big champion (between 1990 and 1996 about 25 slams in the row without US champion) you always have atleast 3 US players in TOP10 or atleast 5 in TOP20 - and look what will happen now, without last big3 USA will be some time probably without any seeds at slams. Unbelivable.

And when we talking about Na Li, she is best Chinese (and Asian) player right now (and best CHN ever) and better than any USA WTA player which is born after 1981 - but she is for sure not WTA Yao Ming... not even close. She is (1982) only year younger than Serena, but still dont have any tier-II or above final or GS semis... and if we looks at all young prospects right now (22 and younger upcoming stars) - it's all europians... and that is not perfect for woman$ tenni$.

and I'm not even fan of Ana Ivanovic... just an objective observer who realize how perfect she is

AMAZING BELGRADE MIRACLE: In just three years (2008-2011) 5 different players born in same city reach world #1 in rankings and several GS titles and finals (WTA singles: Ana Ivanovic and Jelena Jankovic, ATP singles: Novak Djokovic, ATP doubles: Nenad Zimonjic and Daniel Nestor... with notable performances of Bojana Jovanovski, Janko Tipsarevic and Viktor Troicki which is also all three born in Belgrade)
Cp6uja is offline  
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2008, 04:42 PM
it's just me against the music.
 
In The Zone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 25,935
                     
Re: WTA rolling in buck$$

Wow. Prize money going up is a must. It's probably the only good thing coming out of the 2010 (2009) Roadmap.
In The Zone is offline  
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2008, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
goldenlox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: cyberspace
Posts: 97,075
                     
Re: WTA rolling in buck$$

Is the roadmap bad? We haven't seen it in action yet.
Anything that pays players around #100 50% more is good.
And don't worry about the US. Sharapova lives there and loves the spotlight. Oscar parties, ESPYs, Regis, Letterman, Lena, Ellen. Sharapova will keep interest in the US

The most wasted of all days is one without laughter....
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there
Enjoy This Moment!!
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline  
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Senior Member
 
random fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Manchester
Posts: 1,134
                     
Re: WTA rolling in buck$$

What will be the other 4 "big events"? Miami and IW I assume. Doha maybe, what else?

Butchering English since 1995
random fan is offline  
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2008, 05:48 PM
it's just me against the music.
 
In The Zone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 25,935
                     
Re: WTA rolling in buck$$

Beijing and Madrid, right? The 9-day joint events. I think.
In The Zone is offline  
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Senior Member
 
theFutureisNow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,026
                     
Re: WTA rolling in buck$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by *JR* View Post
That's nice. Perhaps now they can cover the expenses of players (and coaches) traveling to tournaments, and a second hotel room for the coach? Of course in all major team sports these expenses are covered, not to mention that the player doesn't have to pay the salary of a professional coach.
The only problem with that is that it is most likely the top players are the ones that make them their money.

It sounds cynical, but I think the WTA would be better off financially if they didn't support the lower tier players. Lots of people want to see an upset, but will the fans keep watching a tournament if all the big names lose? I don't have the numbers to look at, but I would guess that TV ratings and attendance are both higher when the big names are playing.

I'm also worried about the US situation. Western Europe is also very thin on upcoming players. Pretty much the only place doing really well is not known for contributing much of any financial support to tennis. I think the WTA's best chance is to play up the "cinderella stories" and try to make some of the Eastern Europe players honorary Americans. Or give Bollettieri a huge bonus if he can develop any top American player.

}{KVITOVA}{MUGURUZA}{SHARAPOVA}{ MLADENOVIC}{LISICKI }{
theFutureisNow is offline  
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2008, 06:56 PM
Senior Member
 
mboyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 18,514
                     
Re: WTA rolling in buck$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by theFutureisNow View Post
The only problem with that is that it is most likely the top players are the ones that make them their money.

It sounds cynical, but I think the WTA would be better off financially if they didn't support the lower tier players. Lots of people want to see an upset, but will the fans keep watching a tournament if all the big names lose? I don't have the numbers to look at, but I would guess that TV ratings and attendance are both higher when the big names are playing.

I'm also worried about the US situation. Western Europe is also very thin on upcoming players. Pretty much the only place doing really well is not known for contributing much of any financial support to tennis. I think the WTA's best chance is to play up the "cinderella stories" and try to make some of the Eastern Europe players honorary Americans. Or give Bollettieri a huge bonus if he can develop any top American player.
People...PEOPLE. Let's get real here. The people of Doha and Turkey just paid almost 100 million dollars to host a women's tennis tournament until 2012. As far as I know, the middle east has NEVER had a single top 100 player. Not everything is about nationalism...

Romney/Ryan 2012
mboyle is offline  
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,106
                     
Re: WTA rolling in buck$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboyle View Post
People...PEOPLE. Let's get real here. The people of Doha and Turkey just paid almost 100 million dollars to host a women's tennis tournament until 2012. As far as I know, the middle east has NEVER had a single top 100 player. Not everything is about nationalism...
these are countries trying to show that they "support" women's rights and rolling in petro money
i am not sure if turkey has any oil money the way it begs the EU to let it in

about nationalism its true for only Britain not the US
the US has 10 other options to see if there is no american player
unless we get someone like anna k again its hard to see why americans would be watching wta again

If you're not paying for something, then you're the product.
Expat is offline  
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,331
                     
Re: WTA rolling in buck$$

Its not everbody that makes money,if you are outside the top ten you make next to nothing.The disparities are clear players like Serena earn $23MIL.a year whereas a player like say Peer earns $500 000.00,because its an expensive sport most of money goes to hotel ,coaches,trainers and just hangerson.
frontier is offline  
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2008, 11:37 PM
Everybody's a star!!!
 
Shvedbarilescu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Great Britain
Posts: 23,479
                     
Re: WTA rolling in buck$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by *JR* View Post
That's nice. Perhaps now they can cover the expenses of players (and coaches) traveling to tournaments, and a second hotel room for the coach? Of course in all major team sports these expenses are covered, not to mention that the player doesn't have to pay the salary of a professional coach.
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
That's true. They should use this new money to help the rank and file, who need the financial help.
And they should raise early round prizemoney. Especially at IW and Miami.
Being one of those 96 should be worth $10,000, and $20,000 to be in the final 64.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frontier View Post
Its not everbody that makes money,if you are outside the top ten you make next to nothing.The disparities are clear players like Serena earn $23MIL.a year whereas a player like say Peer earns $500 000.00,because its an expensive sport most of money goes to hotel ,coaches,trainers and just hangerson.
Fully agree with all these posts. If there is more money coming into the sport I don't want to see it going to the Henins and Sharapovas and Ivanovics who don't need it anyway, I want to see that money helping those players outside the top 100 who are struggling just to make ends meet and afford to stay on the tour.

Shvedbarilescu is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome