One reason chakvetadze wins so many matches! - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 2008, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
sammy01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: England
Posts: 25,411
                     
One reason chakvetadze wins so many matches!

in her press confrence after her win over bartoli she said this;

"Agnes is a very tough opponent. She's has a very good backhand. It won't be easy but I'll try to do my best."

unlike lena d today, shes just so aware of who shes playing and their strengths and weaknesses. i felt lena d hit 95% of her backhands to szavays backhand as thats the shot she likes to play, only trouble is szavay gets a better angle on her backhand and hits the DTL backhand so well. im not saying annas going to win the match tommorrow but she will try and play it right, hitting to szavays forehand more and moving her wide on the forehand, which she dosen't move as well to.

so many players these days are totaly oblivous to what the person on the other side of the net is doing. its amazing how many matches can be won by reading the play, its an art that alot of the girls have not got in todays game.

Anna Chakvetadze Rules

Kim Clijsters - Supporting the comeback!

I have no other faves, I just hate
sammy01 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 10,003
                     
Re: One reason chakvetadze wins so many matches!

Makes sense to check out your opposition beforehand.
jonny84 is offline  
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 2008, 10:47 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 35,994
                     
Re: One reason chakvetadze wins so many matches!

I know Lena and tactics don't really go, but Lena would have done her homework. Lena plays a lot cross court, especially on the BH. look at 2006 Stuttgart 2r vs Srebotnik, everything was cross court. I wish lena would hit DTL on the BH more.
Demska is offline  
post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 2008, 10:50 PM
Senior Member
 
Peterk07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 561
                     
Re: One reason chakvetadze wins so many matches!

Maria is tall and strong. Jelena is fast and f*cking reliable. Anna is smart. But what I love about her the most, is the "Chak attack" that she showed us last week.
Peterk07 is offline  
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 2008, 10:51 PM
Senior Member
 
Harvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 12,781
                     
Re: One reason chakvetadze wins so many matches!

yeah she is smart but all players snoop out info about their opponents... dementeiva would have had a reason for hitting it to szavays backhand, plan just didnt work out

dellacqua • dokic • groth • molik • stosur
holland • mirkovic • moore • rogowska • wejnert
clijsters • hantuchova • jankovic • sharapova • venus
Harvs is offline  
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 2008, 10:54 PM
Senior Member
 
kolan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,269
                     
Re: One reason chakvetadze wins so many matches!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterk07 View Post
Maria is tall and strong. Jelena is fast and f*cking reliable. Anna is smart. But what I love about her the most, is the "Chak attack" that she showed us last week.
obizler definately couldnt have predicted anna would do that
kolan is offline  
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 2008, 10:55 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 10,682
                     
Re: One reason chakvetadze wins so many matches!

It's always small, subtle changes, but Elena's tactics do change up between opponents. Against Patty and Amelie she frequents the net much more often than she usually does, for example. She knew about Szavay and her game. She scouts.

But anyway. Anna. She wins matches bc shes a cheter && teh fileld sux!11

Or maybe it's because she executes the angles and down the line better than most players. She wins because of her FH and BH DTL shots, I swear to god. She makes her opponents run, even if she isn't very powerful. That indeed is smart.
LudwigDvorak is offline  
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 2008, 10:57 PM
Senior Member
 
SIN DIOS NI LEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Araucania Indomable
Posts: 13,310
                     
Re: One reason chakvetadze wins so many matches!

Anna is fucking good
SIN DIOS NI LEY is offline  
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 2008, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
sammy01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: England
Posts: 25,411
                     
Re: One reason chakvetadze wins so many matches!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ...[Harvs]... View Post
yeah she is smart but all players snoop out info about their opponents... dementeiva would have had a reason for hitting it to szavays backhand, plan just didnt work out
lena hit constantly to szavays backhand because lena always hits her backhand crosscourt. it wasn't a tactic it was lena playing her game and not realising that it was doing her more harm than good.

alot of players research other players and know there strengths and weaknesses but very few exploit them, or know how to. there are cetain players that i wont name, that if you asked them about how there opponents played after a match and which of there shots were better, they wouldn't have a clue.

Anna Chakvetadze Rules

Kim Clijsters - Supporting the comeback!

I have no other faves, I just hate
sammy01 is offline  
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 2008, 11:21 PM
Senior Member
 
scoobsuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 536
                     
Re: One reason chakvetadze wins so many matches!

I don't think a lot of players do scope out the opposition, or don't pay much attention if they do - I don't they are lying when they say things like "I just play my game, I concentrate on what I need to do, on my side of the net and don't worry about what they're doing"

And I think that's a shame, because it just makes sense to try and understand your opponent's weaknesses and devise a gameplan to counter it - even if it's just "stay off the backhand"
scoobsuk is offline  
post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 2008, 11:22 PM
Senior Member
 
Steffica Greles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: England
Posts: 4,073
                     
Re: One reason chakvetadze wins so many matches!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy01 View Post
in her press confrence after her win over bartoli she said this;

"Agnes is a very tough opponent. She's has a very good backhand. It won't be easy but I'll try to do my best."

unlike lena d today, shes just so aware of who shes playing and their strengths and weaknesses. i felt lena d hit 95% of her backhands to szavays backhand as thats the shot she likes to play, only trouble is szavay gets a better angle on her backhand and hits the DTL backhand so well. im not saying annas going to win the match tommorrow but she will try and play it right, hitting to szavays forehand more and moving her wide on the forehand, which she dosen't move as well to.

so many players these days are totaly oblivous to what the person on the other side of the net is doing. its amazing how many matches can be won by reading the play, its an art that alot of the girls have not got in todays game.
True.
And the irony to all of this is people pinpoint the growth of this type of tennis to Monica Seles. What they forget is that Monica only unloaded at select moments, either when the chips were down and she had nothing to lose, or when she needed to force a decision.

Seles, barring Hingis and Sanchez-Vicario, was probably the most tactically astute world class player since Chris Evert. The way she dissected Graf's game, even though she was facing a superior and more powerful athlete, was genius. If people watch many of Seles' matches, most of her shots were actually positional. She was no Maria Sharapova or Serena Williams, who pound each shot, whilst simultaneously giving their bones the same kind of treatment.

The antecedent to the egocentric type of play we witness is probably Venus and Serena. Arguably Mary Pierce, but she was never consistent enough from 1994-1997 to make much of an impact on the styles of the other women. Venus and Serena, on the other hand, really invented all-out, largely thoughtless power tennis (I remember Pete Sampras saying that Venus' toss was indicative of a player not knowing where she was going to serve the ball!).

Hingis forced other players to really hit blitz the court with crushing power, because otherwise they invariably lost to her. Against Hingis, players couldn't give her the time to construct her points, nor themselves the space to become tentative about their aggression.

So, blame Hingis. Although, on this occasion, she deserves credit for forcing opponents to produce largely unplayable tennis.
Steffica Greles is offline  
post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 2008, 11:25 PM
Senior Member
 
scoobsuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 536
                     
Re: One reason chakvetadze wins so many matches!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffica Greles View Post
True.
And the irony to all of this is people pinpoint the growth of this type of tennis to Monica Seles. What they forget is that Monica only unloaded at select moments, either when the chips were down and she had nothing to lose, or when she needed to force a decision.
Seles, barring Hingis and Sanchez-Vicario, was probably the most tactically astute world class player since Chris Evert. If people watch many of her matches, most of her shots were actually positional. She was no Maria Sharapova or Serena Williams, pounding each shot, whilst simultaneously giving their bones the same kind of treatment.
True - Seles was a classic exponent of the art of attacking the weaker wing of an opponent, getting the short ball or getting the opponent out of position and going full into attack on the next shot.

It may have looked like mindless ballbashing to the untrained eye but she was very good at working the point before unloading. Watching some of her early 90s matches against Graf tells this story - constant attacking the backhand until the slice came back short or popped up and then BAM.
scoobsuk is offline  
post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 2008, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
sammy01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: England
Posts: 25,411
                     
Re: One reason chakvetadze wins so many matches!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffica Greles View Post
True.
And the irony to all of this is people pinpoint the growth of this type of tennis to Monica Seles. What they forget is that Monica only unloaded at select moments, either when the chips were down and she had nothing to lose, or when she needed to force a decision.
Seles, barring Hingis and Sanchez-Vicario, was probably the most tactically astute world class player since Chris Evert. If people watch many of her matches, most of her shots were actually positional. She was no Maria Sharapova or Serena Williams, pounding each shot, whilst simultaneously giving their bones the same kind of treatment.
oh i agree completely about seles. i remember when she used to play henin she would attack the forehand time and time again, as she felt that was the side that would break down. i feel players should do this with henin more often as she can always fall back on her slice if her backhand isn't working well. seles was very tacticaly astute and like you say never got recognition for it.

Anna Chakvetadze Rules

Kim Clijsters - Supporting the comeback!

I have no other faves, I just hate
sammy01 is offline  
post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 2008, 11:59 PM
Senior Member
 
Peterk07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 561
                     
Re: One reason chakvetadze wins so many matches!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ...[Harvs]... View Post
yeah she is smart but all players snoop out info about their opponents...
I didn't mean Anna being smart because she preseects the good tactic, but because she is smart on court. She can analyze the opponent's game, and can change her tactics if necessary.

Talking about Agnes vs Elena, that match is a good example how I mean being smart: Agnes lost the second set badly, because Elena figured out how to return her fast 1st serves and 2nd serves excellently. She was hitting winners by winners back to Agnes's side. Agnes had to change her serves. Instead of hitting her "normal" 180-190km/h first ones, she started to serve 130-150km/h slow and long ones with a lot of spin, not letting Elena to "bomb" her return back immediately, but forcing longer rallies. She also changes her shots, using a lot of "moonballs" which she normally never does.

That's what Anna does really well. Figures out the opponents achilles heel, and takes advantage of it.
Peterk07 is offline  
post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 2008, 12:25 AM
Senior Member
 
spiritedenergy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 7,701
                     
Re: One reason chakvetadze wins so many matches!

I was watching AO final and noticed that Sharapova was also trying to exploit Ana's (solid) BH. At some point she noticed that Ana's FH was totally off and started pounding on it and Ana lost in the second set rather easily. I think court sense is something every top player has, not only Chakvetadze or Seles. Even Serena and Venus know that to beat Sharapova they need to make her run...

spiritedenergy is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome