Looking at the draws: - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2008, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 141
                     
Looking at the draws:

Sharapova had a rock hard solid draw, probably the hardest of all time for a top 5 seed. Henin's draw just like the us open was very hard especially for a number 1 seed.

Serema's draw is not easy but it is easy till the semi's.

Venus has a bye to the final.

A lot of Venus Williams fans go on about cupcake draws, but Venus has the easiest draw of all time.
HitmanX is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2008, 10:39 PM
Senior Member
 
vwfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,846
                     
Re: Looking at the draws:

hitman you're sharp!

you have discovered this one week into the tournament.

there have been a few others commenting though on how top heavy the draw.
vwfan is offline  
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2008, 10:41 PM
Senior Member
 
KatChr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 356
                     
Re: Looking at the draws:

I would totally agree that Justine has one of the thoughest draws for a #1 seed! Her road from now on could be Sharapova, Serena and then Venus!! That is unbelievable that the #1 player gets the thoughest draw of them all!!
KatChr is offline  
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2008, 10:45 PM
Senior Member
 
Tennisation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,870
                     
Re: Looking at the draws:

Justine's the last person to sweat over a hard draw, it's not like she can't beat all of them in a single tournament. Truth is, she can take on Venus, Serena, and Maria combined in a single match & still win in straight sets
Tennisation is offline  
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 2008, 12:01 AM
Sabatini lover Forever
 
spencercarlos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Venezuela
Posts: 15,130
                     
Re: Looking at the draws:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitmanX View Post
Sharapova had a rock hard solid draw, probably the hardest of all time for a top 5 seed. Henin's draw just like the us open was very hard especially for a number 1 seed.

Serema's draw is not easy but it is easy till the semi's.

Venus has a bye to the final.

A lot of Venus Williams fans go on about cupcake draws, but Venus has the easiest draw of all time.
Actually many people have overrated Davenport´s match against Sharapova, Lindsay is not in top form phisically her movement is non existent and in this tournament she was not even hitting the ball well neither serving or with her groundies.

Gabriela Sabatini 2006 HOF
18 Grand Slam SF´s, Won 27 titles, 1 GS Sin, 1 GS in Dubs,2 Masters
Sabatini vs Martinez ?
Seasons in the top ten: Sabatini 10 Conchita 9
Straight Seasons in the top ten: Sabatini 10 Conchita 6
Seasons in the top 5: Sabatini 6 Conchita 5
Straight seasons in the top 5: Sabatini 6 Conchita 4
Tier II and above titles
Sabatini 24 Martinez 17
Record at the Masters
Sabatini has 2 titles 2 Runner up and 3 SF
Martinez has 0 titles, 0 RU, and 0 Sf
Record against the best players
Sabatini 40% Martinez 21%
Head to Head
Sabatini leads 9-6 over Martinez
FWTT Hard 111(111 + ny)Carpet 104(104 + ny)Clay 107(107 + 4) Grass 100(100 ny)
spencercarlos is offline  
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 2008, 12:06 AM
Senior Member
 
mboyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 18,514
                     
Re: Looking at the draws:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencercarlos View Post
Actually many people have overrated Davenport´s match against Sharapova, Lindsay is not in top form phisically her movement is non existent and in this tournament she was not even hitting the ball well neither serving or with her groundies.
Could you name a more dangerous unseeded player? I couldn't. I don't think anyone was saying Davenport was playing like a top five player, but she has been playing like a top twenty player in her comeback. Unlike virtually all unseeded players, she had beaten Maria before, and has kept it close in every match, meaning she didn't go in with a major mental disadvantage. Multi-time grand slam champs never go away, because they get used to winning and having confidence.

Romney/Ryan 2012
mboyle is offline  
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 2008, 12:06 AM
Senior Member
 
gmokb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 6,690
                     
Re: Looking at the draws:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitmanX View Post
Sharapova had a rock hard solid draw, probably the hardest of all time for a top 5 seed. Henin's draw just like the us open was very hard especially for a number 1 seed.

Serema's draw is not easy but it is easy till the semi's.

Venus has a bye to the final.

A lot of Venus Williams fans go on about cupcake draws, but Venus has the easiest draw of all time.
If that's the case all I can say is its about time.
gmokb is offline  
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 2008, 12:09 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 14,047
                     
Re: Looking at the draws:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwfan View Post
hitman you're sharp!

you have discovered this one week into the tournament.
lmao!
Avid Merrion is offline  
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 2008, 12:29 AM
Senior Member
 
faboozadoo15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: united states
Posts: 22,401
                     
Re: Looking at the draws:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatChr View Post
I would totally agree that Justine has one of the thoughest draws for a #1 seed! Her road from now on could be Sharapova, Serena and then Venus!! That is unbelievable that the #1 player gets the thoughest draw of them all!!
Sharapova had to beat Davenport and Dementieva just to get to the quarterfinal.
faboozadoo15 is offline  
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 2008, 12:29 AM
Sabatini lover Forever
 
spencercarlos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Venezuela
Posts: 15,130
                     
Re: Looking at the draws:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboyle View Post
Could you name a more dangerous unseeded player? I couldn't. I don't think anyone was saying Davenport was playing like a top five player, but she has been playing like a top twenty player in her comeback. Unlike virtually all unseeded players, she had beaten Maria before, and has kept it close in every match, meaning she didn't go in with a major mental disadvantage. Multi-time grand slam champs never go away, because they get used to winning and having confidence.
Just with her hitting abilities we know Davenport is a top 20 player, but honestly her display at the Australian Open i would not even put her perfomance in the top 40ties.
She barely scaped Errani, and dhe was not serving well, she was not even hitting the ball well with her groundstrokes and lets not even talk about her movement.

Gabriela Sabatini 2006 HOF
18 Grand Slam SF´s, Won 27 titles, 1 GS Sin, 1 GS in Dubs,2 Masters
Sabatini vs Martinez ?
Seasons in the top ten: Sabatini 10 Conchita 9
Straight Seasons in the top ten: Sabatini 10 Conchita 6
Seasons in the top 5: Sabatini 6 Conchita 5
Straight seasons in the top 5: Sabatini 6 Conchita 4
Tier II and above titles
Sabatini 24 Martinez 17
Record at the Masters
Sabatini has 2 titles 2 Runner up and 3 SF
Martinez has 0 titles, 0 RU, and 0 Sf
Record against the best players
Sabatini 40% Martinez 21%
Head to Head
Sabatini leads 9-6 over Martinez
FWTT Hard 111(111 + ny)Carpet 104(104 + ny)Clay 107(107 + 4) Grass 100(100 ny)
spencercarlos is offline  
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 2008, 12:39 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,593
                     
Re: Looking at the draws:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitmanX View Post
Sharapova had a rock hard solid draw, probably the hardest of all time for a top 5 seed. Henin's draw just like the us open was very hard especially for a number 1 seed.

Serema's draw is not easy but it is easy till the semi's.

Venus has a bye to the final.

A lot of Venus Williams fans go on about cupcake draws, but Venus has the easiest draw of all time.
wasnt Ivanovic top 5 @ US Open... Id say her draw was harder...

Venus draw= Sharapovas Us Open draw... Plus Ivanovic....so Id say Sharapova had the easiest draw of all time...But Im happy you came to this realization one week into play....

Henins draw really isnt hard at all.... top seeds meet in the second week... Sharapovas her first test...Sure the second week she'll play sharapova, maybe Serena and then maybe Venus.... but isnt the point of the draw for the high seeds to meet in the second week?
Tennisstar86 is offline  
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 2008, 12:55 AM
Senior Member
 
hectopascal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,483
                     
Re: Looking at the draws:

Kuzzy had an easy draw, but now that she's out I hope Kirilenko makes it through in that quarter...... But the draws are screwed anyways because Venus and Serena are not ranked in accordance with their abilities and are often the favourites when facing higher ranked opponents.
hectopascal is offline  
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 2008, 01:02 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,593
                     
Re: Looking at the draws:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hectopascal View Post
Kuzzy had an easy draw, but now that she's out I hope Kirilenko makes it through in that quarter...... But the draws are screwed anyways because Venus and Serena are not ranked in accordance with their abilities and are often the favourites when facing higher ranked opponents.
True, but at this point, if their rankings were higher it wouldnt really change anything.... the draw still prolly would have worked out the same way....If they moved up everyone else move down... basically since they were top 8 everyone was "safe" till the quarters....even if they were higher the draw still could have ended up "lopsided"
Tennisstar86 is offline  
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 2008, 01:09 AM
Senior Member
 
Buitenzorg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Domain
Posts: 41,811
                     
Re: Looking at the draws:

I thought

QF Draw

(1) v (7)
(5) v (3)
(6) v (4)
(8) v (2)
Buitenzorg is offline  
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 2008, 01:11 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,593
                     
Re: Looking at the draws:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buitenzorg View Post
I thought

QF Draw

(1) v (7)
(5) v (3)
(6) v (4)
(8) v (2)
no... if that were the case thered be no point in drawing... itd be the same everytime.. 1-4 play 5-8.... random draw to see which 5-8 seed plays who in the quarters..
Tennisstar86 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome