Unwritten rule - TennisForum.com

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2008, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Karolina_Sprem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Croatia - Rijeka
Posts: 1,262
                     
Unwritten rule

Did you notice that all great players in the last couple of years like Williams sisters, Henin, Sharapowa, Ivanovic and loads of other girls didn't have great juniors career but as seniors they do really well. Some of them even didn't play in juniors like Williams sisters.
Hmmm... why is this?????
Karolina_Sprem is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2008, 05:30 PM
Senior Member
 
cartmancop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,998
                     
Re: Unwritten rule

I am a bit skeptical of all the next big things coming from the juniors considering their records

& the reason Sharapova & Ivanovic, Serena, etc. weren't winning 3 Junior GS a year was b/c they were playing on the real tour when they were 16 ish,
cartmancop is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2008, 05:30 PM
.
 
Petkorazzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 64,928
                     
Re: Unwritten rule

I think because they are very talented and could directly compete with the best, the aim of Juniors being to gain more experience of playing with better.
Petkorazzi is offline  
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2008, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Karolina_Sprem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Croatia - Rijeka
Posts: 1,262
                     
Re: Unwritten rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartmancop View Post
I am a bit skeptical of all the next big things coming from the juniors considering their records

& the reason Sharapova & Ivanovic, Serena, etc. weren't winning 3 Junior GS a year was b/c they were playing on the real tour when they were 16 ish,

That was my point when I wrote down that topis about Pavlyuchenkova....

Sceptical as well...
Karolina_Sprem is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2008, 05:32 PM
Senior Member
 
DownTheLine21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 11,584
                     
Re: Unwritten rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigi. View Post
I think because they are very talented and could directly compete with the best, the aim of Juniors being to gain more experience of playing with better.
You are correct.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
DownTheLine21 is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Senior Member
 
Reuchlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,825
                     
Re: Unwritten rule

A number of reasons

1. Their games were built with the senior game in mind-- and what gets rewarded on the WTA is not always what is rewarded on the junior tour.*

2. Great junior results often put a great deal of expectations on young players-- leading to mental fatigue, early burn out and lack of motivation.

3. Players with WTA tour potential stop playing juniors relatively young (age 15 or 16) therefore their games have not yet developed enough to get great results against girls who are as old as 18.

*I actually think that this is why the Williams sisters are doing so well now. While girls their age were flying around the world, neglecting their training, developing poor habits (powderpuff serves), developing mental issues etc. Venus and Serena were simply working on their game in a safe and supportive family environment.

Venus: US Open Champ (2000, 2001) Wimbledon Champ (2000, 2001, 2005, 2007)
Reuchlin is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Senior Member
 
cartmancop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,998
                     
Re: Unwritten rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karolina_Sprem View Post
That was my point when I wrote down that topis about Pavlyuchenkova....

Sceptical as well...
Yeh, I think Kuznetsova is the only Year end Junior in the Top 3 to translate into a GS Singles Winner... It's definitely interesting.

*Edit: of the past 10 years I mean
cartmancop is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Senior Member
 
Reuchlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,825
                     
Re: Unwritten rule

Oh, and when Maria won Wimbledon she was younger than the junior girls winner.

Venus: US Open Champ (2000, 2001) Wimbledon Champ (2000, 2001, 2005, 2007)
Reuchlin is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2008, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Karolina_Sprem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Croatia - Rijeka
Posts: 1,262
                     
Re: Unwritten rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reuchlin View Post
A number of reasons

1. Their games were built with the senior game in mind-- and what gets rewarded on the WTA is not always what is rewarded on the junior tour.*

2. Great junior results often put a great deal of expectations on young players-- leading to mental fatigue, early burn out and lack of motivation.

3. Players with WTA tour potential stop playing juniors relatively young (age 15 or 16) therefore their games have not yet developed enough to get great results against girls who are as old as 18.

*I actually think that this is why the Williams sisters are doing so well now. While girls their age were flying around the world, neglecting their training, developing poor habits (powderpuff serves), developing mental issues etc. Venus and Serena were simply working on their game in a safe and supportive family environment.

SPOT ON!!!
I think just to mention the name Barabanshikowa (not sure if translation is right) tells us a lot. She had great junior career but lost in senior tennis.
Kutuzova is another name...

Any other names????
Karolina_Sprem is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,619
                     
Re: Unwritten rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karolina_Sprem View Post
That was my point when I wrote down that topis about Pavlyuchenkova....

Sceptical as well...
pavlyuchenkova was in the aussie qualy draw, so she tried
Russianboy is offline  
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2008, 05:50 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,402
                     
Re: Unwritten rule

TOO GOOD FOR JUNIORS why is that an inwritten rule ?
CR3WLFC is offline  
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Senior Member
 
Perseust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Out There
Posts: 14,462
                     
Re: Unwritten rule

I remember 97 USO final
where Venus was just 17
and Hingis was like 16...

and i think that they were younger than the
girls finalist..!!

is there a junior circuit??
Cuz i dont know whether there is or isnt...

well anyways... i just think that junior
should be only upto 15 years of age...
Perseust is offline  
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,301
                     
Re: Unwritten rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reuchlin View Post
Oh, and when Maria won Wimbledon she was younger than the junior girls winner.
no way! lol! didnt know that!!! how depressing for the junior winner! haha!
Mikey B is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome