YEC question... - TennisForum.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 2008, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
twight6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: home sweet home
Posts: 15,228
                     
YEC question...

I've posted this before, but I didn't want my game players to see it so I deleted it, but I didn't really ever get a good answer.

Anyway, I have 2 scenarios for the YEC round robin standings, and I need help determining who advances

Group 1:
Player A: 2-1 match, 4-2 sets
Player B: 2-1 match, 5-3 sets
Player C: 2-1 match, 4-3 sets

I originally thought that since Player A had a better win % that he would advance... but is it whoever wins more sets? Player A and B definitely advance here, but who's the higher seed?


Group 2:
Player A: 1-2 match, 4-4 sets
Player B: 1-2 match, 3-4 sets
Player C: 1-2 match, 3-5 sets

This one, player A gets first place, right? (this one wasn't so hard )


Any help is appreciated!

How should you be? You should be like a rocky promontory against which the restless surf continuously pounds.
It stands fast while the churning sea is lulled to sleep at its feet. I hear you say,
"How unlucky that this should happen to me."
But not at all.
Perhaps say instead how lucky I am that I am not broken by what has happened,
and I am not afraid of what is about to happen.
twight6 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 2008, 12:29 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 9,804
                     
Re: YEC question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by I<3Lindsay View Post
I've posted this before, but I didn't want my game players to see it so I deleted it, but I didn't really ever get a good answer.

Anyway, I have 2 scenarios for the YEC round robin standings, and I need help determining who advances

Group 1:
Player A: 2-1 match, 4-2 sets
Player B: 2-1 match, 5-3 sets
Player C: 2-1 match, 4-3 sets
I've just figured out this scenario is impossible. Player A can't finish round robin play with 4 sets won and 2 sets lost if player B is 5-3 in sets, player C is 4-3 in sets and all of them defeated player D without losing a set.
AnnaK_4ever is offline  
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 2008, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
twight6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: home sweet home
Posts: 15,228
                     
Re: YEC question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaK_4ever View Post
I've just figured out this scenario is impossible. Player A can't finish round robin play with 4 sets won and 2 sets lost if player B is 5-3 in sets, player C is 4-3 in sets and all of them defeated player D without losing a set.
Player B def. Player A 2-0
Player A def. Player C 2-0
Player A def. Player D 2-0
Player A: 4-2

Player B def. Player A 2-0
Player C def. Player B 2-1
Player B def. Player D 2-1
Player B: 5-3

Player A def. Player C 2-0
Player C def. Player B 2-1
Player C def. Player D 2-0
Player C: 4-3

Player A def .Player D 2-0
Player B def. player D 2-1
Player C def. Player D 2-0
Player D: 6-1


How should you be? You should be like a rocky promontory against which the restless surf continuously pounds.
It stands fast while the churning sea is lulled to sleep at its feet. I hear you say,
"How unlucky that this should happen to me."
But not at all.
Perhaps say instead how lucky I am that I am not broken by what has happened,
and I am not afraid of what is about to happen.
twight6 is online now  
 
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 2008, 10:15 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 9,804
                     
Re: YEC question...

I see then, so one them still managed to lose a set to that scrub you called a player D
Then I give up, sorry.
AnnaK_4ever is offline  
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 2008, 08:02 PM
Senior Member
 
loppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,792
                     
Re: YEC question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by I<3Lindsay View Post
Player B def. Player A 2-0
Player A def. Player C 2-0
Player A def. Player D 2-0
Player A: 4-2

Player B def. Player A 2-0
Player C def. Player B 2-1
Player B def. Player D 2-1
Player B: 5-3

Player A def. Player C 2-0
Player C def. Player B 2-1
Player C def. Player D 2-0
Player C: 4-3

Player A def .Player D 2-0
Player B def. player D 2-1
Player C def. Player D 2-0
Player D: 6-1

Their results vs player D will have no bearing on the final placing in a 3-way tie. Thus

A: 1-1 match 2-2 sets
B: 1-1 match 3-2 sets
C: 1-1 match 2-3 sets

Players A and B advance. B wins the group.
loppy is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome